Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

On a scale of 1 to Babcock, where’s he rate?

I don't know either one of them personally, but based on the scuttlebutt, he's at like 0.92 Babcocks

Too :lol::lol: for the 40th post on the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Not sure I needed to see Sidney Crosby & Spread Eagle side by side anywhere

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know either one of them personally, but based on the scuttlebutt, he's at like 0.92 Babcocks

Too :lol::lol: for the 40th post on the page

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Just seen the icetimes for Montreals PWHL team from that triple overtime loss last night and looks like they just rolled two lines all game lmao

https://x.com/karinehains/status/1789499531345731676?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 12, 2024

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
brigitte laganiere took one shift, immediately conceded a goal, and never saw the ice again

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is the women's team also obsessed with having French Canadians on the roster?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Is the women's team also obsessed with having French Canadians on the roster?

Yes.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
To be fair, Marie-Philip Poulin is extremely good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At least it makes sense for the PWHL. Lower salary folks probably still need offseason jobs/start setting themselves up for post hockey career so sticking close to home makes sense for everyone.

Also looking at the rosters it looks like the Minnesota is the most home town obsessed.

Montreal has 9 Quebecois, Minnesota has 12 Minnesotans.

Ottawa has 9 and Toronto 11 Ontarians, but that seems to be more of a matter of supply since Boston has 9 and New York 8.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For a fledgling league trying to get itself established enough to not be in constant jeopardy of folding, every possible marketing advantage should be pursued, and steering players to (roughly) their home-territory teams where practicable seems like a sensible strategy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

At least it makes sense for the PWHL. Lower salary folks probably still need offseason jobs/start setting themselves up for post hockey career so sticking close to home makes sense for everyone.

Also looking at the rosters it looks like the Minnesota is the most home town obsessed.

Ottawa has 9 and Toronto 11 Ontarians, but that seems to be more of a matter of supply since Boston has 9 and New York 8.

Minnesota is higher than that if you count the women who went and played D1 hockey in Minnesota as well. It’s not a bad thing, and it’s fairly easy to build a team with Minnesota connections. There’s about 5.7m people in Minnesota and 8.7m in Quebec, but the popularity of girls and women’s hockey is very different. Girls hockey in Quebec is 7x less popular than in Ontario with about 6700 girls registered in 2020. Minnesota had about 6000 8U girls players in 2020 alone. They had about 13.5k girls registered this last year too. You can’t find a place with more popular girls hockey programs in the world.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

For a fledgling league trying to get itself established enough to not be in constant jeopardy of folding, every possible marketing advantage should be pursued, and steering players to (roughly) their home-territory teams where practicable seems like a sensible strategy.

Probably also helps those players not having to move

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Probably also helps those players not having to move

Yeah, works out well for both the players and the teams that players stick close to home. Until the league pays like six figures for depth players where it's actually worthwhile to move across the continent for a job that probably won't last longer than 2-3 years it makes sense to prioritize local talent.

It's just super obvious for Montreal because of the names.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Watching this SVK-USA WC game and man, the Americans look rough. Just giving zone entries uncontested and having no man coverage in the slot.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

neoaxd posted:

Watching this SVK-USA WC game and man, the Americans look rough. Just giving zone entries uncontested and having no man coverage in the slot.

The US always seems to disappoint at the Worlds. Not sure if it's just not having the depth to compete when their A team is playing in the playoffs, guys not giving a gently caress since they'd rather be playing for the cup or a combo of both, but just 5 bronzes this century is rough.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They have an excellent roster compared to past years but maybe it's saturated with too many prominent losers

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

T-Bone posted:

They have an excellent roster compared to past years but maybe it's saturated with too many prominent losers

All teams are saturated with prominent losers. Losing is the main job requirement for playing in the WC. See: Team Canada captain John Tavares.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

So far my favorite game has been USA vs Sweden. The coach for the USA team is also the coach for the Minnesota Wild and the Swedish team has five Wild players on it :lmao: rip at getting beat by your own players

I also felt a little bad for Matt Boldy on the USA team for having to play not only against his teammates but also one of his linemates. I know this happens but it's funny that it happened with so many people at once

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

I also felt a little bad for Matt Boldy on the USA team for having to play not only against his teammates but also one of his linemates. I know this happens but it's funny that it happened with so many people at once

Slafkovsky and Caufield are facing each other in this game and they have a bet going. Time to investigate them for gambling!!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

pseudodragon posted:

All teams are saturated with prominent losers. Losing is the main job requirement for playing in the WC. See: Team Canada captain John Tavares.

Oh cool thanks for the new information on the tournament I haven't been posting about for an embarrassing amount of time on SA

the point is, the US have their best roster in years, and arguably (perhaps not arguably) the best in the tournament, which you might know if you watched the tournament, but it's also captained by Brady Tkachuk and has Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, and Johnny Gaudreau.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I guess it's between Woodcroft and Keefe for the Devils?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Who did the Devils organization anger to cause this kind of evil to happen?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Dubas extended Valtteri Puustinen. League min 2 years. This illicits an emotion. I think.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This illicits an emotion. I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

And Quenneville.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1790028097565163732?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Seems like nobody likes this guy, hard to imagine wanting McLellan or Woodcroft over him so badly you don’t even give him an interview given his track record

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I'd give that man whatever he wanted to leave me alone

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dubas extended Valtteri Puustinen. League min 2 years. This illicits an emotion. I think.

He's alright. Why not for so little money.

He'll probably end up the 13th forward after Dubas decides to give Mike Sullivan eighty vets to play around with

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm excited to see what he brings to the team next season once he recovers from his double case of Consumption and Anemia

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
even this defunct franchise still gives us some laughs, like sending a holiday email in May

https://x.com/miketgould/status/1790095345357398229?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

He's alright. Why not for so little money.

He'll probably end up the 13th forward after Dubas decides to give Mike Sullivan eighty vets to play around with

I'll take guy that might score sometimes vs loving 5 of the other guys that definitely won't. LOOKING AT YOU JENSEN loving HARKINS!!!! and Jeff Carter. I think Nieto also barely scored even on a rate basis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure this dude was the perp in a Veronica Mars episode.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

An illegal one?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bard Maddox posted:

even this defunct franchise still gives us some laughs, like sending a holiday email in May

https://x.com/miketgould/status/1790095345357398229?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

I am laughing much harder than the ineptitude of a hockey team that no longer exists sending out holiday greetings in mid-May should merit.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

pseudodragon posted:

I learned this year that although the National Lacrosse League has teams all over Canada and USA, like 75% of its players live in Ontario. They work Mon-Fri then catch a plane to San Diego or Fort Worth or wherever, play a lacrosse game Saturday night, and then fly home.

Also, lacrosse friggin rules and if you like hockey you'll like it. Championship series starts this weekend.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

:laffo: gonna miss them. kinda.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://x.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1790020256750051389

I was pretty down on the Ruff hire. But figured that he'd at least bring some good assistants in with him from outside the dumpster fire of the Sabres org... lol

Those assistants were either all coaching the Sabres or Amerks last year.

Our expectations were low but goddamn this sucks

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

th3t00t posted:

https://x.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1790020256750051389

I was pretty down on the Ruff hire. But figured that he'd at least bring some good assistants in with him from outside the dumpster fire of the Sabres org... lol

Those assistants were either all coaching the Sabres or Amerks last year.

Our expectations were low but goddamn this sucks

Mike Balls

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bales was alright goalie coach
he brought Murray into the league and sorta-kinda helped starting to fix MAF

I don't know what he offers as an assistant coach unless that's just another name they use for goalie coach
:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would assume he will continue to be the goaltending coach, which he has been for the Sabres since 2019