Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah, more kinds of planets

Playing on a huge as gently caress world, the average mountain range is multiple everests, the oceans make the mariana's trench look shallow. Everything is weird and there are alien squid attacking my cities.

You know what would be fantastic for my fantasies? a planet chock filled with ruins, call it a "metropolis" class. It's set to have a ridiculously high pre fall population and be basically a city-world

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

AtomikKrab posted:

You know what would be fantastic for my fantasies? a planet chock filled with ruins, call it a "metropolis" class. It's set to have a ridiculously high pre fall population and be basically a city-world

You can absolutely generate those. They just don't get their own class, but pick a very habitable planet, and then reroll the settlement phase until you get a population in the tens of billions. After bombardment, half the planet will be city ruins.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tuna-Fish posted:

You can absolutely generate those. They just don't get their own class, but pick a very habitable planet, and then reroll the settlement phase until you get a population in the tens of billions. After bombardment, half the planet will be city ruins.

it's just a pain in the rear end because you might have to reroll 50x to get a population >5b and if you want >10b it might be 200 rolls

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There was an interview with Vic where he was asked if you could set parameters for what you wanted to roll. He said no, the process was designed specifically to be like you were rolling a character and it would have to be essentially rewritten completely to do that, so it ain't going to happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

seems like Cheat Engine could solve this

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

seems like Cheat Engine could solve this

Potentially... hmm maybe i'll give it a try

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Tuna-Fish posted:

One of my favourite mp games was basically ruins plus deserts, it had brutal attritional city slogs plus open plain tank battles that made Kursk look like child's play.

Wot won it in the end was anti-infantry mechs, I stopped contesting the plains except for skirmish forces and threw my entire industry into mass producing a new mech design with really good rolls and went hard on nukes to soften up the defenders. It took like a year and god knows how many deaths but eventually the defenders collapsed and I rolled through their main metals production sector crippling their economy.

Then I lost because I was doing too well and got dogpiled lol.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what affects how high population can get during colonization besides there being a biosphere?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

what affects how high population can get during colonization besides there being a biosphere?

Planet size... maybe

But I had a 8 billion pop moon once early on. It was entirely ruins.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

Generally there is a correlation between rainfall and population. I think you want 100 inches a year for a big population? Its been a while since I went fishing for one.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

habituallyred posted:

Generally there is a correlation between rainfall and population. I think you want 100 inches a year for a big population? Its been a while since I went fishing for one.

yeah when I was loving around with sprawlworlds I saw the best results with a combination of

start with a large Siwa-class
reroll planetology until you get an average temperature of ~27C and gravity ~0.9g
reroll geology until you get >90% plains coverage and lots of rain and "earthlike" or "comparable" atmosphere
reroll biosphere until you get breathable atmosphere with no hazards, rain pH 5~9 and low soil heavy metals, lots of vegetation if possible, and ideally no animals >2m size because they're annoying and boring

so basically go for numbers that make the planet ideal to colonize.

then just reroll colonization a bunch and you'll occasionally see population 4~6b and rarely it spikes to 11~12b if there's enough immigration and population growth fast enough to enable the "sector capital has relocated to the planet" history event, and the RNG aligns in your favor for the event to actually happen.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

steam version of the game is on sale for about 16 euro on fanatical right now, if anyone looking at the thread has been curious to try it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does the ai use easier logistics if its enabled they're constantly circlign around my formations and cutting off key supply lines and its really annoying

e: today I learned the atmospheric hazard rating differentiates between "nightmarish death" and "Unfathomable death"

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 12, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They use easier logistics, but AIs still get cut off.

Unfortunately, several aspects of the game combine to make '100% suicide run with 1-3 units to squat on a road' a highly effective tactic. (the time it takes to respond to such a move, strategically; the porous nature of fronts that aren't wall to wall units from ocean to ocean; the persistence of area control without any units nearby..)

I wouldn't mind like 'getting strategically flanked' but suicide runs are really annoying when combined with the ai can just plow a road through the Hindu Kush in a month and slamm a random unit onto your road.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would have to check the current details since I think he’s changed it a little but the AI does get to cheat on some aspects of logistics since he couldn’t program it to use the player logistics system effectively.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There is a page on AI's interaction with logistic in the manual. iirc, AI build road for free, and has some bonus logistic AP (supply travels further before diminishing).

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
The AI gets its logistics points for free from its cities without having to build logistics assets. Its logistics is still limited by AP, so it has to build or conquer new cities to extend its logistics range. It also gets to build some amount of roads free of IP cost each turn.

AI units do suffer the penalties for being encircled.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The free roads are the most annoying part of that for me, I’m envious of getting to cross mountains without spending piles of precious IP.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'd prefer it if high mountains were just uncrossable to most units and roads. Then at least we could hold choke points, free roads or no

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 13, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

cranky corvid posted:

The AI gets its logistics points for free from its cities without having to build logistics assets. Its logistics is still limited by AP, so it has to build or conquer new cities to extend its logistics range. It also gets to build some amount of roads free of IP cost each turn.

AI units do suffer the penalties for being encircled.

Ai is a rude rear end mother

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
What gets me is the non-sentient animals doing deep strikes behind your lines to cut off your supplies.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wooper posted:

What gets me is the non-sentient animals doing deep strikes behind your lines to cut off your supplies.

Nah it's perfect sense, they smell food, and go raiding your rations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Wooper posted:

Personally I'm a fan of enemies apparently ignoring the movement penalties for newly-conquered terrain and ZOC, and moving impossibly far between my armies to block my supply lines. Just a massive gently caress You from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My most annoying leader led a rebellion against me, and had all his armies spawn in a chokepoint, he also did so near the town where I had my GR walkers stationed :geno: I don't think we took any casualties