Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

^Nice!

Re: Velvia 50. Roberts Camera had some in stock, they just arrived, and they have a decent expiration date (07/2025).

Ordered 5 rolls. Don't know when I'll shoot it but it'll go in my fridge for one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Wow that is the first place I found to have Velvia actually in stock. 30 dollars for a roll of 35mm is crazy, but I ponied up the cash as who knows when it will be next available…

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
A week or two ago Samys had Provia and Velvia in stock online and I almost pulled the trigger but didn't want to commit like $300 to it. I should've just done it

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
I'm on a processing rush prior to the end of my lease and so am developing my films from the last month this evening. The first batch was 2 rolls of FPP Low ISO color (Kodak 2254) in ECP-2, next up a set of 4 rolls of Vision3 in ECN-2 (50D & 500T) before moving on to 120... each a Gold 200, Fuji pro 400H, Ektachrome in 6x45 and Kentmere 400 in 6x6.

Hopefully, some of them are decent. :science:

Edit: the 2254 is dry and the default scans look alright. ECP-2 really boosts the greens.

And one more on the egg theme.

Nikkor 35mm f1.4, IIRC. I forget if I used an 85B too but probably not judging from the 2nd frame.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 7, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lollybo posted:

Wow that is the first place I found to have Velvia actually in stock. 30 dollars for a roll of 35mm is crazy, but I ponied up the cash as who knows when it will be next available…

This is the cost of a normal roll of Kodak here :negative:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
One more from 2254.

10' deep.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

50D ECN-2, very vigorous agitation

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I picked up a handful of expired film off marketplace today.

The long box 5 pack of superia xtra 400 expired in 2010, the rest expired in 2015.

They were the sellers daughters from a photography class, so my guess is that they’ve been sitting in a closet somewhere, not in a fridge or freezer.

Is my best bet to shoot the 2015 films a stop below their rating and the 2010 two stops below? I don’t think I’ve shot superia before, just the generic Walgreens Fuji film.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I picked up a handful of expired film off marketplace today.

The long box 5 pack of superia xtra 400 expired in 2010, the rest expired in 2015.

They were the sellers daughters from a photography class, so my guess is that they’ve been sitting in a closet somewhere, not in a fridge or freezer.

Is my best bet to shoot the 2015 films a stop below their rating and the 2010 two stops below? I don’t think I’ve shot superia before, just the generic Walgreens Fuji film.

Bracket your first roll at +1 and box speed then don't shoot the rest until you get that developed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will do. Second question, fridge or freezer for film (all my film, not just this expired stuff)? Or does it not matter

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 10, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Fridge if you're gonna use it within a year, freezer for longer storage.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I tried a roll of Ilford XP2, and I really like the type of contrast this film has.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

afen posted:

I tried a roll of Ilford XP2, and I really like the type of contrast this film has.
pics

Wow these are gorgeous! I really like all of them. What developer did you use?

I ordered some Velvia and it came into my mailbox over the weekend (Saturday). I was out of town this weekend so the film was sitting in the mailbox until I got back today (Monday night) where I live in the Southeast, it dipped into the low 80s for a few hours in the afternoons. Would the film still be good? Looking back, I wish I asked a neighbor to bring them in.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lollybo posted:

I ordered some Velvia and it came into my mailbox over the weekend (Saturday). I was out of town this weekend so the film was sitting in the mailbox until I got back today (Monday night) where I live in the Southeast, it dipped into the low 80s for a few hours in the afternoons. Would the film still be good? Looking back, I wish I asked a neighbor to bring them in.

XP2 is a C41 black and white film. You can cross process it with black and white chemistry but that looks like it was done in C41

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

lollybo posted:

Speaking of, I just finished a roll of velvia yesterday. Shot it mostly around my apartment complex's pool over a couple days of being out there with kids and friends swimming and barbecuing.

Megabound posted:

XP2 is a C41 black and white film. You can cross process it with black and white chemistry but that looks like it was done in C41

Not to gatekeep or yuck anybody's yum, this is just a personal thing, but c41 b&w feels very wrong to me

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm not a fan of it either but it means cheaper processing at a lab with more consistent results, so if you're not processing your own film then it's the obvious choice.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

big black turnout posted:

Speaking of, I just finished a roll of velvia yesterday. Shot it mostly around my apartment complex's pool over a couple days of being out there with kids and friends swimming and barbecuing.

Velvia is uh, not the best for skin tones.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Not to gatekeep or yuck anybody's yum, this is just a personal thing, but c41 b&w feels very wrong to me

While I don't love it either, digital ICE is a big selling point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Got my test film back and looks like my cameras work properly, hooray. Can't see any light leaks even, though I think I should give the negatives a good look for that instead of my lovely pictures.

After I finished I was sitting around and thought "huh, I think I did the exposure backwards" and boy howdy did I. Whole bunch of trash. But I was really just checking if the cameras work so it's okay. Probably still going to clean the seals up and get some yarn in there even though it doesn't seem like there's a problem, they're old so it's time anyway.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Velvia is uh, not the best for skin tones.

Yeah I've seen people say that but the examples I've seen... I kind of feel like people are blowing it out of proportion. I'm hoping it makes up for it in really vibrant pool water and foliage, but hey if it sucks, lesson learned. Plus I also shot some portra 400

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

lollybo posted:

Thank you! I just delivered them to a local developer. I don't really have space for a darkroom at home.

Megabound posted:

I got them developed pretty quicky so it's probably C41. This shop only does b/w development a couple of times a week.

Will it look better with b/w developing?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The opposite, I think it looks worse. Being a C41 film you also get some of the benifits of a C41 process, highlight retention. The only reason I'd dev it black and white would be to save money by processing it myself.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My girlfriend picked me up a really cheap Nikon FA that I'm excited to use. The camera looks to be in great shape and everything seems to work appropriately except the DOF preview lever is missing entirely. I've checked and it doesn't seem to have affected the function of the camera, the shutter operates fine, the meter etc. I know DOF preview issues can impact the camera and have it shoot wide open at all times but it seems to be stopping down without issue when I press the shutter.

Is there anything else I should check? Can the camera function and be used without the DOF preview lever? (Obviously without the ability to DOF preview) And if I need to repair it, wouldn't be worth it and does anyone have any recommendations for the USA, east coast?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The missing DOF preview should do nothing to effect the operation of the camera. I don't know if it could cause a light leak however.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The only big issue I can think of is if you try to use an old style non-ai lens with the camera. For those lenses on the FA you'd need to use the DOF preview to get an accurate light meter reading.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Great, can't wait to spend just loads of money taking really bad pictures (because of me not the camera) Thanks!

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2024

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Ziggy Smalls posted:

The only big issue I can think of is if you try to use an old style non-ai lens with the camera. For those lenses on the FA you'd need to use the DOF preview to get an accurate light meter reading.

I’m pretty sure the FA is not compatible with non-ai lenses because the ai tab is fixed, much like the FM2.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know we all complain about the price of film and the cost of development and all that, but also, who here will just blow through the end of the roll so they can either move on to a new film stock, get the roll developed or otherwise get it out of their camera for whatever reason?

I just blew 6 frames so I could swap in some black and white. I feel bad about it, and they aren't complete trash photos, but if I wasn't trying to get to the end of a roll, I wouldn't have taken them.

Film is a cruel mistress

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
That's why I have so many photos of our cat. And now that I have a daughter, she'll have plenty of awkward pictures to look back on, too.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm never disappointed if I accidentally order the 24 exposure rolls for this exact reason. In fact I prefer them for most things except my staple hp5 stuff which I'll be using 90% of the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok brain, this time we're going to be really measured and selective, no wasting frames on poo poo pictures of dumb bullshit

*ten minutes pass*

How is half my roll gone??

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know we all complain about the price of film and the cost of development and all that, but also, who here will just blow through the end of the roll so they can either move on to a new film stock, get the roll developed or otherwise get it out of their camera for whatever reason?

I just blew 6 frames so I could swap in some black and white. I feel bad about it, and they aren't complete trash photos, but if I wasn't trying to get to the end of a roll, I wouldn't have taken them.

Film is a cruel mistress

that's why I was kind of excited when my latest order of Arista film from Freestyle came in reusable cans (apparently they're having some trouble getting the regular kind)

It's an excuse to eventually buy a bulk loader and start making my own 18-exposure rolls. Or 10...

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Film is a cruel mistress

This is why I always go back to my Hasselblad. Being able to swap between backs mid roll is just so nice.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Film is a cruel mistress

I just got a film camera after many years of just digital and blew through my first roll in about 30 minutes, I justified it to myself that I needed to get through the first roll as fast as possible to check my old body for light leaks.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Olympus E100 eclipse 4-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

I am really pleased with how loving COOL this is, but I am also disappointed because this isn't a very sharp lens - it's the cheapest one I frequently see on ebay but it came with the camera. 75-150mm F4, made probably even softer by the necessity of a 2x tele to get into the true telephoto range.

Ah well. At least I saw it. And it was pretty mindblowing. And I got it on slide film. What an incredible day.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Admiral Bosch posted:

Olympus E100 eclipse 4-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

I am really pleased with how loving COOL this is, but I am also disappointed because this isn't a very sharp lens - it's the cheapest one I frequently see on ebay but it came with the camera. 75-150mm F4, made probably even softer by the necessity of a 2x tele to get into the true telephoto range.

Ah well. At least I saw it. And it was pretty mindblowing. And I got it on slide film. What an incredible day.

Sharpness isn't everything. Great shot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've got this Eastman Kodak Baby Brownie. Seems intact and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, because it's extremely rudimentary. Is it still possible to get film for it?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've got this Eastman Kodak Baby Brownie. Seems intact and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, because it's extremely rudimentary. Is it still possible to get film for it?

It takes 127 film, which was discontinued in 1995, and I don’t think anyone develops it outside of specialty labs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

It takes 127 film, which was discontinued in 1995, and I don’t think anyone develops it outside of specialty labs.

Thank you. Apparently I can get Rera Pan 400 (127) for 15,90€ a roll (12 pictures) which is fine I guess since I would just like to try it out.

Is there something about developing it that makes it hard to do oneself? (I have not been inside a darkroom since 1998, and then it was for [redacted] so I only know what they taught me, it's not like there was a selection of cameras and films.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Shanghai GP3 will also have 127. Nothing fancy about developing, just regular black and white.