Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

https://twitter.com/davidgross_man/status/1790100439553176031

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

General Bullshit posted:

Didn't Dawkins and all that poo poo come out right after 9/11?

New Atheism really took off after 2003, when the WMD excuse for invading Iraq didn't pan out and the establishment was casting about for a new reason to stay in the Middle East, and they landed on "a mission to civilize"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

New Atheism really took off after 2003, when the WMD excuse for invading Iraq didn't pan out and the establishment was casting about for a new reason to stay in the Middle East, and they landed on "a mission to civilize"

It's the white man's burden, after all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of funny in retrospect that at the height of Reddit's relevance r/atheism was one of the default subreddits that got shown to everyone who wasn't logged in

Really hitched their wagon to the Dawkins star

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1790204918290096129

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

When did the politicians-playing-peekaboo-with-constituents trend start? I SEE YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is probably it, but I can't help thinking it's all Seth MacFarlane and Family Guy's fault.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

It's the white man's burden, after all.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

VoicesCanBe posted:

Will is right, if Biden is re-elected liberals will take it as an endorsement of genocide and double down support for Israel.

Don't be foolish. Electing Trump is also an endorsement of genocide because he's Adolph Stalin. The real play is to commit more genocide to pander to the genocide loving electorate because of the five genocides Trump will perform before even taking office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Officer Sandvich posted:

When did the politicians-playing-peekaboo-with-constituents trend start? I SEE YOU

I feel your pain

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Joe Biden is going to poo poo himself on live television and the libs will exclaim "Oh my God! Donald Trump poo poo in Biden's pants!"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the_steve posted:

Joe Biden is going to poo poo himself on live television and the libs will exclaim "Oh my God! Donald Trump poo poo in Biden's pants!"

the poo poo is a Russian ASSet!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CVxSGPWyo

SAURON 2024!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Kind of funny in retrospect that at the height of Reddit's relevance r/atheism was one of the default subreddits that got shown to everyone who wasn't logged in

Really hitched their wagon to the Dawkins star

reddit might be at the height of relevance, in terms of information, now considering all of the internet is ai trash otherwise

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

i do think there's a good chance that Biden wins this as a squeaker, the media and legal system are gunning hard for trump and that's going to suppress his voters. Roe is going to keep turn out higher than average for Biden.

the use of the word "suppress" here intrigues me given that we usually reserve this word for obviously bad and unethical things like not letting black people vote

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

a functional world order with things like "regulations" or an "interest in public welfare" would likely take steps to prevent the internet from deteriorating into ai hallucinations but

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RepDWStweets/status/1790077723236241481

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

iirc the problem is trump didn't use campaign cash but paid for it out of pocket. they're arguing it would have been legal if trump had used campaign cash instead (and filed the right paperwork) lol

its true theres no way the prosecutor would have gone after trump for using campaign funds to pay hush money everyone knows thats a totally reasonable use of campaign funds

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Oh ok, so only 15k children have been murdered, I'm fine with that then

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Phew, I was getting worried for a moment there.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

RadiRoot posted:

the trick is to not pay it until gets whittled down to 50 bucks by some collection agency

they can't turn off the hip replacement, yet

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/byyourlogic/status/1790212294292681021?s=46

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Being an Atheist teen, i got into the New Atheism people for awhile because this was also the Bush administration and poo poo like intelligent design was trying to get into schools abs other Christian fundie poo poo so I remember being confused about why so many of these guys wanted to constantly bitch about Isam when Christians in America were trying to gently caress everything up and thats when I realized they were just racists.hiding behind a thing veener.

Lol that Maher's Atheism "documentary" presented some strict orthodox jews as just wacky and harmless, while the Muslims couldn't wait for murder and the Christians were all just dumb

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Because finance doesn't gain anything from it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

VoicesCanBe posted:

Will is right, if Biden is re-elected liberals will take it as an endorsement of genocide and double down support for Israel.
not just that

if they can get away with genocide, they can get away with the rest of the neoliberal agenda. double down on the concentration camps, double down on killing children with razor wire, double down on restricting trans rights, double down on banning foreign news, double down on restricting speech. they get to be the republicans now, so long as they continue to prop up white nationalists in the actual Republican Party to act as their boogeymen (and then of course, pass the white nationalist laws themselves because the Overton window inevitably shifted to the right as a result, and you gotta placate the “moderates”…)

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 04:31 on May 14, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1789017327926661279

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

malcolm nonce

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anne rather famously signed a letter claiming that calling Roman Polanski a rapist was fake news

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

it sounds like she wants people to give up hope of becoming an informed citizen in a democracy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
her husband was literally the polish pol who tweeted out “thanks America 👍” when the nordstream pipeline blew up so if she’s saying she’d never do fake news….

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
She posted about her confusion attending cocktail parties in Poland that are mysteriously full of Nazis.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Some Guy TT posted:

its true theres no way the prosecutor would have gone after trump for using campaign funds to pay hush money everyone knows thats a totally reasonable use of campaign funds

I mean unironically yes. There is jurisprudence that hush money payments performed as campaign expenses are perfectly legal, see John Edward's cheating on his dying cancer wife and didn't see consequences because he smartly used campaign money.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the Georgia case was the most solid one they’ve done and they hosed that up lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

John Edwards got away with it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

comedyblissoption posted:

biden's doj pursues possible criminal charges against tara reade
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1788328022158057586

many such cases!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

that is one short lil dude

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Being an Atheist teen, i got into the New Atheism people for awhile because this was also the Bush administration and poo poo like intelligent design was trying to get into schools abs other Christian fundie poo poo so I remember being confused about why so many of these guys wanted to constantly bitch about Isam when Christians in America were trying to gently caress everything up and thats when I realized they were just racists.hiding behind a thing veener.

Lol that Maher's Atheism "documentary" presented some strict orthodox jews as just wacky and harmless, while the Muslims couldn't wait for murder and the Christians were all just dumb

New Atheism is a great example of what happens when the dog catches the car.

They could keep it together all through the 90s and early 2000s when it was about countering evangelicals and intelligent design, but after Kitzmiller v. Dover in 2005, their main cause vanished. ID and creationism in schools was dead for the time being, evangelicals had more or less take a back seat to the neocons in government - what was a public figure who made their name in that movement to do if they wanted to stay famous?

The answer for many of them was to become cranks.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

her husband was literally the polish pol who tweeted out “thanks America 👍” when the nordstream pipeline blew up so if she’s saying she’d never do fake news….

The amount of willful self-blindness from CSPAMmers here would be funny if it wasn't entirely to the detriment of the causes they performatively claim to embrace. Here is presented actual evidence that powerful state forces are exerting tremendous effort to bend and twist your perceptions of the present and future, and people who maaaaaybe didn't read the loving article are proudly sounding off here "No, I definitely came to all my opinions entirely by myself, I've never been influenced, no sirree, I am opposed to everything I define as 'not progressive enough' to the point that I can't distinguish between that and actual stated enemies of my interest... but I'm certainly free from propaganda!"

Gnothi seauton ain't just words on a door, I'm just saying.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Officer Sandvich posted:

The amount of willful self-blindness from CSPAMmers here would be funny if it wasn't entirely to the detriment of the causes they performatively claim to embrace. Here is presented actual evidence that powerful state forces are exerting tremendous effort to bend and twist your perceptions of the present and future, and people who maaaaaybe didn't read the loving article are proudly sounding off here "No, I definitely came to all my opinions entirely by myself, I've never been influenced, no sirree, I am opposed to everything I define as 'not progressive enough' to the point that I can't distinguish between that and actual stated enemies of my interest... but I'm certainly free from propaganda!"

Gnothi seauton ain't just words on a door, I'm just saying.

no im just calling her a hypocrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nichael posted:

a functional world order with things like "regulations" or an "interest in public welfare" would likely take steps to prevent the internet from deteriorating into ai hallucinations but

it is somewhat concerning, the exponential invasiveness of generative "ai" garbage all over the internet/media. The free market of flat earth will solve this problem, however.

Joementum posted:

the Georgia case was the most solid one they’ve done and they hosed that up lol

Imagine setting up this nation defining case and not doing any due diligence on who the prosecution attorneys are going to be. All the legal poo poo was always designed to be shoddy election fodder that'd just go away or implode as soon as the election is over because you don't actually want to punish trump.

Of all the many many crimes he probably (and actually) did while president and before/after, the best you got is a lame rear end sex affair payoff for a couple hundred dollars? Incredible two tiered "justice" system.