Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't have a reddit account nor will I ever have one but from what I've gathered in this thread, everyone who has said "reddit can't permanently ban you for this or that" has been wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't have a reddit account nor will I ever have one but from what I've gathered in this thread, everyone who has said "reddit can't permanently ban you for this or that" has been wrong.

I've had the opposite experience. People here who claim to have been permanently banned for this or that either downplaying what they were doing to earn the ban, were confused about what a subreddit ban meant or are just lying.

I don't recall anyone who said they got banned for "just calling out Israel this one time" or whatever followed up with receipts. They just keep insisting we trust that they got banned for something people do all the time on the website without any site wide repercussions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you do get sitewide banned for saying punching nazis is good though.
the admins are very sensitive about that

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you do get sitewide banned for saying punching nazis is good though.
the admins are very sensitive about that

Crazy how I can find so many unbanned accounts saying that so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

the reddit defender has logged on

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FurtherReading posted:

I've had the opposite experience. People here who claim to have been permanently banned for this or that either downplaying what they were doing to earn the ban, were confused about what a subreddit ban meant or are just lying.

I don't recall anyone who said they got banned for "just calling out Israel this one time" or whatever followed up with receipts. They just keep insisting we trust that they got banned for something people do all the time on the website without any site wide repercussions.

I really don't care enough about reddit policy to not take what goons are saying at their word.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really don't care enough about reddit policy to not take what goons are saying at their word.

Goons are notoriously full of poo poo so that’s my take on it.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

That Works posted:

the reddit defender has logged on

I'm not defending reddit I'm just flabbergasted at how people eat up easily disproved lies.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Buddy that's what the internet is for

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Shadowbanning has never been real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zero One posted:

Dear Reddit. Is this random text saying my mom wants to connect with me from jail a scam?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/1cqg1fm/like_90_sure_this_is_a_scam_but_i_want_to_make/

It is not a scam.

lol at the story. "I learned from my mom that you should suffer in jail so she's going to"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

A fair assessment.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Contacting people outside prison is a whole racket. Much like the rest of the prison system. I just didn’t know they upgraded to texting instead of the thing they replaced collect calls from.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Story sounds fake tbh

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The third party contractor putting prison calls on an app sounds real. :(

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Professor Shark posted:

Story sounds fake tbh

It's reddit, of course it's fake

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kntfkr posted:

The third party contractor putting prison calls on an app sounds real. :(

Great way to gently caress over people who might not have a requisite phone

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

FurtherReading posted:

I'm not defending reddit I'm just flabbergasted at how people eat up easily disproved lies.

your defending reddit and you love it too

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

cumpantry posted:

your defending reddit and you love it too

I apologise for doing a quick Google search rather than smugly insist that someone is wrong. I didn't consider that there were people whose entire self worth is based on the belief that there's no way that all these accounts could go without being banned.

I hope we can overcome your hurt feelings and unite over something bad about reddit that isn't completely made up by weirdos who rely on pretending they were banned from reddit for clout. Such as how the voting system damages mental health or how it is rife with sexual predators.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 14, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you are very upset as well. i win

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I got banned from reddit because I'm hot and everyone likes me and also I get to do sex at people sometimes and THEY HATE THAT.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

cumpantry posted:

you are very upset as well. i win

i apologize for being the moderator for r/webmasterhumor, i never asked for this job. but you want to know the truth? i would ban you the second you step foot in our community you fuckih piece poo poo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

syntaxfunction posted:

I got banned from reddit because I'm hot and everyone likes me and also I get to do sex at people sometimes and THEY HATE THAT.

When you do sex at people and they hate that, you might want to stop before you become a reddit mod…

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
:gas:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

R.L. Stine posted:

i apologize for being the moderator for r/webmasterhumor, i never asked for this job. but you want to know the truth? i would ban you the second you step foot in our community you fuckih piece poo poo

Fun fact: there are actually mods that preemptively ban people for posting in other subs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

When you do sex at people and they hate that, you might want to stop before you become a reddit mod…

I'm gonna write a 5000 word post on grammar, pedantry and reading comprehension now and buddy you're gonna sit there and LIKE IT.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

R.L. Stine posted:

:f5h:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I was permabanned from Reddit because my beliefs were so objectively correct across all aspects that instead of attempting to argue with what is so obviously the right answer they had to permaban me in shame.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm gonna write a 5000 word post on grammar, pedantry and reading comprehension now and buddy you're gonna sit there and LIKE IT.

I can’t help it, it’s bled over from my Dad.

“I saw two deer on the way to church!”
“How did you know they were on their way to church?”
:argh:

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I know that joining r/ACAB and r/LateStageCapitalism get you automatically banned from r/police and r/landlords respectively, sure those are more but those are the only two I've seen

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

emSparkly posted:

Contacting people outside prison is a whole racket. Much like the rest of the prison system.

The prison system in the US is unbelievably bad.

I remember once a goon had a total meltdown after we told him you have to pay to be on parole and, if you can't make your payments, they put you back in prison. He just refused to believe it. Can't say I blame him.

In Florida, prisoners are charged $50 for every single day they're in prison. If they're released early they still have to pay $50 for the entirety of their original sentence. So, if you get released 10 years early for good behaviour, you must pay $50 a day for the next 10 years or they throw you back in jail.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lol that sucks florida suuuuucks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That is loving insane. I feel sick.

Good thing I'm very tired and about to go to sleep. I can't handle that right now.

Florida needs to burn.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember once a goon had a total meltdown after we told him you have to pay to be on parole and, if you can't make your payments, they put you back in prison. He just refused to believe it. Can't say I blame him.

In Florida, prisoners are charged $50 for every single day they're in prison. If they're released early they still have to pay $50 for the entirety of their original sentence. So, if you get released 10 years early for good behaviour, you must pay $50 a day for the next 10 years or they throw you back in jail.

what the fuuuuck

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Lmfao

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
:d2a:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Reminder: the federal constitutional amendment that prohibits slavery specifically excludes prisoners from its protection

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Iceberg-Slim posted:

I know that joining r/ACAB and r/LateStageCapitalism get you automatically banned from r/police and r/landlords respectively, sure those are more but those are the only two I've seen

A lot of subs used to preemptively ban people who post a lot on the worst alt right subs too, but I heard that with the API changes it's harder to track that.

Related, a few years back one of the drama subreddits preemptively banned anyone who posts a lot on r/teenagers for being underage. Then they publicly shared the modmails asking for unbans along with their posts pretending to be teenagers. It went from hilarious to gross very quickly when it turned out that they spent most of their time flirting with actual teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The problem with local government and lawmaking is that you can't even try to fix the provincial barbarians of Florida from outside.

Central control for everything :ussr: