Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

the_steve posted:

It's interesting that also, when you have the What-If or alternate realities or whatever where the resident supergeniuses/trillionaires of the franchise DO come together to create a post-scarcity utopia, it almost always ends in them going full fascist totalitarian 1984 state and actually people having everything they need and never needing to fear disease actually sucks and makes everyone miserable.

I mean, that's just because narrative needs conflict, and having an actual utopia where things work out doesn't make much of a story. Same reason why Star Trek doesn't set many stories on Earth itself, or why the Culture is mainly focused on Special Circumstances - places where awful things still happen so the protagonists can do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

next week, goons debate the causes of the persistence of vision

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spazzle posted:

The Authority is the most honest comic book.

Actually a bit of a theme in Warren Ellis books where a lot of them end when the superpowered protagonists are or about to start freely using their incredible powers and technology to actually change the world rather than just maintaining the status quo. Planetary and Nextwave come to mind.

the_steve posted:

It's interesting that also, when you have the What-If or alternate realities or whatever where the resident supergeniuses/trillionaires of the franchise DO come together to create a post-scarcity utopia, it almost always ends in them going full fascist totalitarian 1984 state and actually people having everything they need and never needing to fear disease actually sucks and makes everyone miserable.

Amusingly the exception here is when Doctor Doom actually gets to take over the world he usually does a surprisingly good job running the place.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 07:56 on May 14, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PhazonLink posted:

Did any other marvel science mans make a council of clones of themselves , except the clones have a flaw to highlight the superiority of the original? like clone Reeds that cant suck themseleves off?
Beast from x-men

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually a bit of a theme in Warren Ellis books where a lot of them end when the superpowered protagonists are or about to start freely using their incredible powers and technology to actually change the world rather than just maintaining the status quo. Planetary and Nextwave come to mind.

Amusingly the exception here is when Doctor Doom actually gets to take over the world he usually does a surprisingly good job running the place.

In the web serial Worm, there’s a villain named Accord whose power is basically logistics and problem solving: the more complicated the problem, the better he is at solving it. Any issue, no matter how complex it seems. Like even within the story at one point he wrote up a manual on how to solve world hunger and submitted it to various politicians, but the trouble was that it was so complicated, with contingencies and contingencies for contingencies, that literally no one bothered reading it

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PhazonLink posted:

Did any other marvel science mans make a council of clones of themselves , except the clones have a flaw to highlight the superiority of the original? like clone Reeds that cant suck themseleves off?

Mister Sinister has created entire civilizations of himself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kit Walker posted:

In the web serial Worm, there’s a villain named Accord whose power is basically logistics and problem solving: the more complicated the problem, the better he is at solving it. Any issue, no matter how complex it seems. Like even within the story at one point he wrote up a manual on how to solve world hunger and submitted it to various politicians, but the trouble was that it was so complicated, with contingencies and contingencies for contingencies, that literally no one bothered reading it

Well he should have thought about the problem of getting politicians to read and act on his plan.

That is a loving stupid super power. Mr can-do-anything. The only limitation is that apparently he can't be arsed actually doing anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoiseAnnoys posted:

next week, goons debate the causes of the persistence of vision

He got rebuilt by that black science unit.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

Beast from x-men

More specifically, Beast's clones require eyeglasses while the original does not. He explicitly made them this way to highlight their inferiority.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Well he should have thought about the problem of getting politicians to read and act on his plan.

That is a loving stupid super power. Mr can-do-anything. The only limitation is that apparently he can't be arsed actually doing anything.

Well obviously he's an ideas man...

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

One day I'll edit the 'now let me explain Homestuck' comic to 'now let me explain Worm'. Don't make me do it!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To me, superheroes are an inherently visual genre. They don't work in prose.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Suleman posted:

More specifically, Beast's clones require eyeglasses while the original does not. He explicitly made them this way to highlight their inferiority.

The funny thing is, considering how prone clones are to trying to take over and reign as the original, giving them all bad eyesight or something like that to set them apart isn't a bad idea.

"Shoot him! I'm the real one!"
"No, shoot him, I'm the real one!"

"I need both of you to look at this chart and read the bottom line to me!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Suleman posted:

This was a recursive lift from the Mauler twins in Invincible, who were themselves originally a villainous version of Beast. Despite looking like a brutish thug and, well, being named "Mauler", he's an exceptional scientist whose chief flaw is that he needs to feel superior to his clone. However, since he uses a memory duplication device as part of the process so the clone will have the skills needed to assist him, neither of them actually know who is the clone. And when they do know, it doesn't end well - leading to an agreement that as the argument over which of them is the clone is a big drive in their work, they won't make any serious attempt to figure out who it actually is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They also apparently introduced a clone of Beast who was made before Beast started doing all kinds of awful things like making deliberately inferior clones and totally isn't just because they realised making Beast evil was stupid and no one liked it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

This sounds like a supervillain thing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Ah, but that’s a very simple problem. If you want someone to read something, you just give it to them and ask, right? No powers needed to solve that problem

In any case, yeah, that’s kind of the nature of the story. Powers with big limitations or costs. The source of powers in the setting deliberately contrive to make sure people who have them can’t use them to their full potential and instill in them a drive towards conflict in order to harvest information. It wouldn’t do to actually let Accord solve a global problem like that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Ah, but that’s a very simple problem. If you want someone to read something, you just give it to them and ask, right?
Evidently not, because that didn't work. Which someone with the power of understanding complex problems and planning solutions to them should have realised and accounted for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Evidently not, because that didn't work. Which someone with the power of understanding complex problems and planning solutions to them should have realised and accounted for.

He understands complex problems and "can't be bothered to read" is a simplistic idiot problem

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
interpersonal conflict isn't a logistics problem, tiggum, it is outside of his skillset

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's like in Stargate when the hyper-advanced Asgard had to ask the humans for help because they were in a stalemate with another hyper-advanced species and they needed a dumber species to bruteforce a solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dQH9tKPEA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

interpersonal conflict isn't a logistics problem, tiggum, it is outside of his skillset

Oh, well that's also why his plan to ends world hunger didn't work then. :shrug:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I used to play a game with friends we called Worst Superpower. The thing was to come up with a superpower that had some extreme limitation: you can fly, but only two inches off the ground; you can lift several tons, but only balsa wood; or you and your clothes can become invisible, but you emit a horrible stench.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hovering just off the ground sounds pretty fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hovering just off the ground sounds pretty fun.

Yeah, you'll save a ton on shoes and you'll never tread on a Lego again.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If it was an exact two inches, you'd still have to deal with terrain and LEGO and whatnot, there'd just be space in between, because one part of your foot would be 2" above the ground and one part would be 2" above the LEGO or whatever, so it'd be effectively the same. :colbert:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If it was an exact two inches, you'd still have to deal with terrain and LEGO and whatnot, there'd just be space in between, because one part of your foot would be 2" above the ground and one part would be 2" above the LEGO or whatever, so it'd be effectively the same. :colbert:

That's only if you need to walk while hovering. If you're able to propel yourself forward as part of the power you'd just slide over it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's only if you need to walk while hovering. If you're able to propel yourself forward as part of the power you'd just slide over it.

Go slide, at full walking speed, your foot over a LEGO that's secured to the ground and report back.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Go slide, at full walking speed, your foot over a LEGO that's secured to the ground and report back.

Why would it be secured?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I never understood the jokes about stepping on a lego despite growing up having them regularly all over the floor, but then I also grew up in the country walking barefoot on dirt, rocks and gravel regularly so my feet are more like hooves.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's like in Stargate when the hyper-advanced Asgard had to ask the humans for help because they were in a stalemate with another hyper-advanced species and they needed a dumber species to bruteforce a solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dQH9tKPEA

Amazing cropping, like a compromise to make it awful in landscape mode while somehow also even worse than before in portrait.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Why would it be secured?

does the power extend to exerting the force of your passage onto the ground too?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I just slide my foot 2 inches above a lego and didn’t feel anything. Seems like it would work fine in theory

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrUnderbridge posted:

you and your clothes can become invisible, but you emit a horrible stench.

This is just me around women :dadjoke:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If hovering feels like your feet are pushing at the ground like a reverse magnet then hovering over a lego would just make you go up a little.

If it feels like the ground is pushing back then hovering over a lego would feel like someone putting their entire weight on a lego while dragging it across the sole of your foot. If it's entirely the ground pushing "up" then depending on how much go forward power you had you might stop dead or just slow down a bit or possibly flay a lego width and height of skin and flesh off the bottom of your foot.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 18:30 on May 15, 2024

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My knees love the idea of no longer being weight bearing, tbh. Flying two inches above the ground sounds great.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
That's how I get around in my dreams. Whenever I run in dreams, my legs are heavy and I can't move fast, so instead I just hover a little bit and can continue my quests unimpeded.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The worst power would be telepathy without being able to block out all the thoughts you want to not hear. Like, imagine being even in a small town and having to hear everyones thoughts and you can't develop a way to block out the useless/bad stuff you are seeing.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I have the power to teleport by one stride at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

The worst power would be telepathy without being able to block out all the thoughts you want to not hear. Like, imagine being even in a small town and having to hear everyones thoughts and you can't develop a way to block out the useless/bad stuff you are seeing.

... Psycho Mantis. That's literally Psycho Mantis. Well, okay, he also had telekinesis.