Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Inner Light posted:

Not really. Stock keyboard seems to work great. I’d struggle to name any significant benefit a 3rd party one would bring, unless you are a huge fan of features that most people wouldn’t care about, like swipe input that works slightly differently than Apple.

Huge disagree. Stock iphone keyboard sucks rear end. Autocorrect is horrible, customizability is horrible. SwiftKey is good. Try them out and see what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used to jailbreak my phone and gently caress around with root poo poo. Now I’m too old to even learn a new keyboard.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Magic Underwear posted:

Huge disagree. Stock iphone keyboard sucks rear end. Autocorrect is horrible, customizability is horrible.

Agree. I've been using Gboard but maybe I should try out SwiftKey.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You know what really grinds my gears? My AirPod Pros randomly forgets my spatialized audio setting. It’ll be fine for months then it randomly turns on head tracking. Who actually uses this feature?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You know what really grinds my gears? My AirPod Pros randomly forgets my spatialized audio setting. It’ll be fine for months then it randomly turns on head tracking. Who actually uses this feature?

What's worse is when one earpiece randomly decides it doesn't exist and you have to put them both back in the case to reset things.

Or when you accidentally pinch the stem on removing them and it starts blasting audio out your phone speaker.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I started receiving iMessages from blocked contacts after I turned on Wi-Fi calling two days ago, is this a known issue? The only thing I was able to find to corroborate this is a random Reddit post where someone recommended turning this off to fix the issue.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Magic Underwear posted:

Huge disagree. Stock iphone keyboard sucks rear end. Autocorrect is horrible, customizability is horrible. SwiftKey is good. Try them out and see what you like.

Will swiftkey insert OTPs from text messages?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don’t think so

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kerbtree posted:

Almost assuredly not. The Apple keyboard is able to do this because it's built into the system and can read data from other apps, meanwhile Swiftkey/GBoard/etc. aren't going to be allowed to have access to data like that for privacy/security reasons.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is it not just an AutoFill similar to passwords? It would work if so.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

I use SwiftKey and still enter OTPs with ease (it autodetects from iMessage). It either lets you do it from SwiftKey, or else seamlessly switches to the stock keyboard to do so - can't remember which.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS17.5 is out now.

"This update introduces a new Pride Radiance wallpaper for the Lock Screen, Apple News enhancements, and other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eagerly anticipating the update finishing so I can see if it's a good or bad Pride design year.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It’s a whatever design 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like how it looks on the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Skeezy posted:

It’s a whatever design 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like how it looks on the watch.

The watch face looks good. not too huge on the band though. Last years was a good one though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The watch face is great, you can actually set it to different lgbt colors. I finally have a drat trans pride watch face!

Not a fan of the wallpaper but I’m opposed to backgrounds with writing as a rule. The animation is pretty sweet tho

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the wallpaper sucks but the watch face (also sucks because I need my complications dammit) is pretty nice. The 5 variants for anyone curious are standard rainbow, lesbian, bisexual, trans and asexual. Now just to see if the strap sucks this year.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you guys have a news story too now at the top of the list in the Weather app?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

phosdex posted:

Do you guys have a news story too now at the top of the list in the Weather app?

No?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

phosdex posted:

i do not

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sometimes the top will contain a heat or storm warning, but not reports on Trump's latest trial or whatever.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sometimes the top will contain a heat or storm warning, but not reports on Trump's latest trial or whatever.

sweet. when that gets to me, I shall seek a different weather app. :cheers:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hosed up that they'd include important weather information in the weather app.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
“Tornado warning” what the gently caress I just wanted the temperature

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's not just an alert, it's an alert and then another section with a link to the News app about wildfire smoke.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm assuming you're somewhere that's being affected by wildfire smoke, making it somewhat pertinent information. I'm nowhere near any wildfires and don't have any such news story or alert.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

njsykora posted:

hosed up that they'd include important weather information in the weather app.

i read the word "not" as "now"

:owned:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know you can share audio to two sets of headphones if both are AirPods or Beats, anyone know if it’s possible to do this either with one set of AirPods and a non-Apple BT pair, or perhaps a set of AirPods and regular wired EarPods?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a pretty big offline iTunes library (and no Apple Music subscription.) Is there anything that can match up my “liked” songs in my library with Spotify songs and mark them as “liked” too to help build out its recommendation algorithm for me?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I gave my mum my 14 Pro which still had 100% battery health when the 15 pro came out. When I checked her phone the health was at 87% she uses her phone a lot more than I do but like that feels like quite high levels of degredation. My 15 pro only has something like 26 cycles on it, which is weird because I only noticed you can see cycle count on the 15pro but not on the 14pro or my work 11

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know you can share audio to two sets of headphones if both are AirPods or Beats, anyone know if it’s possible to do this either with one set of AirPods and a non-Apple BT pair, or perhaps a set of AirPods and regular wired EarPods?

I couldn't get this to work with either two sets of wired headphones or a set of AirPods and one USB-C EarPods.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

track day bro! posted:

I gave my mum my 14 Pro which still had 100% battery health when the 15 pro came out. When I checked her phone the health was at 87% she uses her phone a lot more than I do but like that feels like quite high levels of degredation. My 15 pro only has something like 26 cycles on it, which is weird because I only noticed you can see cycle count on the 15pro but not on the 14pro or my work 11

Anecdotally, the 14 Pro was awful for battery degradation.

Mine was at 90% after less than a year.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 14, 2024

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

Anecdotally, the 14 Pro was awful for battery degradation.

Mine was at 90% after less than a year.

Still is. Bad timing to step down a size.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

I couldn't get this to work with either two sets of wired headphones or a set of AirPods and one USB-C EarPods.

Appreciate the info! Sharing an AirPod each it might be then ha.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Both of my folks got regular-sized 14 Pro devices about a week apart. My mother's battery is down to about 83% and my dad's is at 98%. My mother uses her phone for everything (and frequently falls asleep with apps that keep the screen on open), while my dad uses his iPad for most stuff and just uses the iPhone if he's off wifi and for phone calls. Usage patterns absolutely have an affect on the battery health calculations, also the 15-series devices iirc are rated for like 2x the cycle count that 14-series and earlier devices were.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have a very unusual problem. Just a few moments ago, my Safari app has duplicated itself.

It’s not a separate Safari, but the same one with 2 icons/buttons- press either one and it’s on the same page and has the same tabs, so basically an alias.

This has happened once before; around a year or so ago my Notes app duplicated in the same manner. I thought it strange but just stuffed them in the same folder and ignored it. But happening twice is really weird.

Has anyone encountered this before or heard of it happening? I just removed it from the Home Screen and that seems to have solved it but still I find the whole thing weird.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You can absolutely have duplicates of apps if you for example search for them in spotlight and drag & drop the icon on your Home Screen, maybe something like that happened. It’s for example maybe useful to have the same app in different folders or on different pages of the Home Screen. Just don’t delete the app, delete the shortcut or something like that because the former will delete all instances as I just found out while testing with awful.app. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I did “remove from homescreen” instead of deleting the app just in case. But the weird thing about the Safari duplicate is that it suddenly just appeared and shoved another app off the front screen. The only thing i can possibly think what happened was that maybe a web page i saved to the homescreen as a shortcut somehow reverted to just the Safari default?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I want to use my iPhone and laptop to access the internet anonymously from my office on the public wifi, but I’m paranoid about someone in IT figuring out I’m job hunting and doing other fun stuff (like making posts such as this). Is there a sure fire way to do this safely? Best practices / applications?

(Sent from my phone in the toilet on cell data mode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A VPN would probably do the job but I would only do that stuff on a cell signal if at work.

If you're putting packets on a network you've given up anonymity, so you better make sure it's encrypted or just not do that thing.