Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A lucrative career in what? She has no marketable skills or qualifications

Sounds like an executive then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

If it's the same compound responsible for putrefaction, does that mean that rotting dead bodies literally smell like the worst most unwashed genitals ever?

I have read before that semen and rotting corpses do have a similar odour, specifically in the way that some flowers that also have that smell have been associated with both death and sex. So that would check out, if true.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How? He was a complete poo poo.

He was a Paleontologist. I'm sure he could have figured something out.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A lucrative career in what? She has no marketable skills or qualifications

She gets a job working at Louis Vuitton in Paris, which she ends up giving up to stay in New York with Ross instead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

He was a Paleontologist. I'm sure he could have figured something out.

An American paleontologist who's a pervert. Why would anyone "overseas" want to hire an American (paleontologist).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ross was a teacher and not a very good one considering he dated his student.

I wonder how bad the 'we were on a break!' arguments would sunder the internet if it ran for the first time these days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

And younger people are going to resonate more with 20 something singles and dating couples than married couples with kids in suburbia.

Funnily enough, I think How I Met Your Mother actually aged worse than Friends despite being a more 'modern' show about a bunch of dating 20-somethings, because Ted is even whinier than Ross and Barney is less ethical of a womanizer than Joey. Has some okay parts but the entertainment value drops like a rock after the first couple seasons.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ApplesandOranges posted:

Funnily enough, I think How I Met Your Mother actually aged worse than Friends despite being a more 'modern' show about a bunch of dating 20-somethings, because Ted is even whinier than Ross and Barney is less ethical of a womanizer than Joey. Has some okay parts but the entertainment value drops like a rock after the first couple seasons.

it also had an infamously bad ending

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

An American paleontologist who's a pervert. Why would anyone "overseas" want to hire an American (paleontologist).

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ross was a teacher and not a very good one considering he dated his student.

I wonder how bad the 'we were on a break!' arguments would sunder the internet if it ran for the first time these days.

I feel like there's an "in Europe this is very normal" joke in there somewhere.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughlander posted:

More great pranks!

AITA for asking my boyfriend to leave me alone because of him and his mother?

She should invite those two to a acid-filled pool party

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The loving Golden Girls had more poc actors, better messaging and far more positive queer representation than Friends despite being about a bunch of ageing retirees and predating it by close to a decade. It was also funnier.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Splicer posted:

The big one is an illegal sublet from Monica's grandmother. This is mentioned in a throwaway line exactly once.

There’s also the episode where Rachel pisses off the maintenance guy by putting pizza boxes down the trash chute, so he threatens to turn them in for the illegal subletting. Joey saves the day by being maintenance guy’s practice dance partner before the big Maintenance Man Ball.

I’ve watched way too much friends.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ted is also a shitbag, in a way that’s very noticeable if you watch it again. Barney is the most blatantly problematic so much so that he distracts from Ted’s shittiness on first viewing, but Ted is pretty horrible too.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Ted is also a shitbag, in a way that’s very noticeable if you watch it again. Barney is the most blatantly problematic so much so that he distracts from Ted’s shittiness on first viewing, but Ted is pretty horrible too.

How I Met Your Mother also gave us the "that's a penis" gif so I will forgive it being a bad sitcom.

May 14, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 14, 2024

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

quote:

Most of the same motherfuckers who criticize us will go on another sub and complain about inflation and economic equality

The exact same thing is happening to the dating market in the west but it's not socially acceptable to talk about it because it makes women feel guilty.

These same people will get mad when boomers come to them and say "just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and work hard!". That's how most of us feel when we get told "just work on your personality" or "just be confident bro"

It's ok to complain about how your grandfather and all his friends could afford to buy a house with the job he got straight out of high school while it's a struggle for you even though your salary is well above the national average. Mention that you have to work 10x harder than your father/grandfather for a woman 1/10th of the quality? EVIL INKWELL!!!SHIFTONE11

If these same motherfuckers could wave a magic wand and make prices go back to the way they were in the 70s they'd do it. PPB are doing the same when it comes to women's standards but we just have to get on a plane to do it.

Actual quote from post comments:

quote:

Developers collude to keep rents high (while giving apartments out for
free to section 8 voucher holders). Kinda like how women collude to
keep pussy expensive (but give it out for free to Chad). No wonder
women have advanced so far in America -- they're natural parasite
monopolists.

That reminds me, I need to check the date of the next meeting of the Clam Collusion Cabal to make sure it isn't double booked with my Parasite Slumlord meet up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OceanCyclone posted:

at this point I'm convinced the only solution for dudes like this is to mercilessly beat the poo poo out of them

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always loved them giving a Ross a black girlfriend for one season in response to complaints that there were no POC on the show despite being set in the middle of Manhattan.

David Schwimmer has claimed that he pushed for Ross’s girlfriends to be POC.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which is lovely but it's a perfect example of tokenism because everyone knew Ross and Rachel were going to get back together by the end so there was an obvious expiration date on that relationship.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I remember when Ross married the British women Helen Baxendale. I remember it clearly cause her dad taught me chemistry at secondary school. When it broke that his daughter was going to be in Friends it was massive news around the school and everyone was talking about it. She wasn't in the series long :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

deported to Canada posted:

I remember when Ross married the British women Helen Baxendale. I remember it clearly cause her dad taught me chemistry at secondary school. When it broke that his daughter was going to be in Friends it was massive news around the school and everyone was talking about it. She wasn't in the series long :(

14 episodes isn't bad for a recurring guest. Aisha Tyler apparently only got 9 and Lauren Tom got 7.

If you dated Ross you weren't allowed to stay too long.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

OceanCyclone posted:

That reminds me, I need to check the date of the next meeting of the Clam Collusion Cabal to make sure it isn't double booked with my Parasite Slumlord meet up.

I would like to pair every post from some dude saying "the Clam Collusion Cabal is too picky" with one of the stories about a woman staying with a guy who refuses to clean his rear end or keeps piss bottles in a cabinet. These dudes wouldn't get the message, but it would be pretty funny.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I would like to pair every post from some dude saying "the Clam Collusion Cabal is too picky" with one of the stories about a woman staying with a guy who refuses to clean his rear end or keeps piss bottles in a cabinet. These dudes wouldn't get the message, but it would be pretty funny.

It's because those men are broad-shouldered, chiseled jaw Chads!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

OceanCyclone posted:

Not to be a raging misandrist but give me the bear please.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pipistrelle posted:

There’s also the episode where Rachel pisses off the maintenance guy by putting pizza boxes down the trash chute, so he threatens to turn them in for the illegal subletting. Joey saves the day by being maintenance guy’s practice dance partner before the big Maintenance Man Ball.

I’ve watched way too much friends.
That's the once I was talking about!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OceanCyclone posted:

Parasite Slumlords? In your Clam Collusion Cabal?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Which is lovely but it's a perfect example of tokenism because everyone knew Ross and Rachel were going to get back together by the end so there was an obvious expiration date on that relationship.

Phoebe actually sticking with a relationship with a recurring guest star instead of ending up with Joey to tie the cast up neatly was probably the swerve if anything.

Joey honestly got the rawest end of the deal all things considered. All his friends got married, he got progressively dumber as the series went on, and then he got the worst fate of being stuck in a spin-off afterwards (that apparently wasn't very good, I never watched it).

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Parasite Slumlords? In your Clam Collusion Cabal?

More likely than you think!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

deported to Canada posted:

Apparently their marriage was actually supposed to last, they just rewrote it because the actress got pregnant and they had to write her out of the series a lot earlier than intended (presumably they would have just had her pop up here and then like Ross' kid or Phoebe's husband to show that she was still around).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Chewbecca posted:

Yeah everytime I see a wedding cake smash video where the husband smashes the wife's face into the cake, I worry she is gonna come up with wooden doweling jammed through her freaking skull

There was an enjoyable one in the last thread where a bride who was very-not-a-cake-smashing-fan pranked her (maybe ex now?) cake smashing new husband with a fake dowel through her eye and some blood packs/theater makeup; he did not appreciate the prank

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Breetai posted:

The loving Golden Girls had more poc actors, better messaging and far more positive queer representation than Friends despite being about a bunch of ageing retirees and predating it by close to a decade. It was also funnier.

For some reason, I always mix up the golden girls and the Gilmore girls in my head.

RIP Betty White

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

For some reason, I always mix up the golden girls and the Gilmore girls in my head.

RIP Betty White

They're easy to differentiate:
Everyone talks a lot and there's humour: Golden Girls
Everyone talks literally literally all the time non-stop and there's no humour Gilmore Girls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

idiotsavant posted:

There was an enjoyable one in the last thread where a bride who was very-not-a-cake-smashing-fan pranked her (maybe ex now?) cake smashing new husband with a fake dowel through her eye and some blood packs/theater makeup; he did not appreciate the prank
Sounds like this story from earlier in the thread:

AITA for faking a serious eye injury, making my mom faint, and ruining my birthday party.

quote:

My mom thinks the height of humor is to smash me and my siblings face into our birthday cakes. I have no idea why but it amuses her.

I just turned 15 and I told her that if she planned to do that to me again I would rather not have a cake or even a party.

She promised that she would not do it and she was upset that I threatened to not attend if she planned it without that promise.

I knew she was lying because I know her. So I made a plan with my friends. One of them does cosplay and helped me out with a very basic trick. The other two that were also present at my party were there to play along and make it worse.

When my mom smashed my face into the cake as expected I screamed like I was shot. I took the patch I had in my hand and pulled my face away from the cake and put my hand to my eye.

The patch had a stub of candle that stuck out between my fingers and some fake blood. My friends came tou rescue and I screamed that I couldn't see out of that eye. One of them looked under my hand and pretended to have to go to the bathroom to throw up.

My mom literally fainted. Once that happened I called off the joke really quickly. I showed everyone that it was just a joke. But the day was wrecked. There was fake blood everywhere and someone had called an ambulance. Which was good because we ended up needing it for my mom.

I didn't get in trouble because I showed my dad the texts showing that my mom had promised not to do the cake thing. But my mom is pissed that Iafe her look bad and like a liar because I showed everyone the texts because they were all mad at me to begin with.

I think that if she hadn't lied then nothing would have happened so this is all on her.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

idiotsavant posted:

When I was a kid my grandmother would take me to breakfasts and lunches at places like Friendly's with some of the neighbors in her mobile home neighborhood (not a trailer park) from time to time. But she also couldn't stand these people so she'd count on me to perform a trick I learned from Penn & Teller. I'd start playing with a fork near my eye until the other people at the table noticed. Then I'd hide a creamer container in one hand up against my eye and use the fork in my other hand to stab it and squeeze the white liquid across the table while the older ladies screamed. They wouldn't ask my grandmother to take them out after that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If the message is progressive and it's actually funny, its Golden Girls.
If the scripts all have a strong evangelical christian moral message and it's not funny, it's Gilmore Girls.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's a Golden Girls episodes that reveals that Rose has hosed at least two men to death.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hughlander posted:

Devin! my ex who cheated on me with my mom and received gonorrhea from her. Update: even though it has almost been 8 years, Devin has not changed. -
8 years is a long time to have gonorrhea. Isn't there a pill they can give you?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

14 episodes isn't bad for a recurring guest. Aisha Tyler apparently only got 9 and Lauren Tom got 7.

If you dated Ross you weren't allowed to stay too long.

Would you want to date Ross for more than a few episodes?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

When I was a kid my grandmother would take me to breakfasts and lunches at places like Friendly's with some of the neighbors in her mobile home neighborhood (not a trailer park) from time to time. But she also couldn't stand these people so she'd count on me to perform a trick I learned from Penn & Teller. I'd start playing with a fork near my eye until the other people at the table noticed. Then I'd hide a creamer container in one hand up against my eye and use the fork in my other hand to stab it and squeeze the white liquid across the table while the older ladies screamed. They wouldn't ask my grandmother to take them out after that.

Hadn't had one of these excellent stories from your past in a while. 'love all of 'em.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Friends would have been so much better if they had just realised that Ross is actually a recurring guest character from Always Sunny who got lost and wandered into the wrong show. Instead they want you to feel bad for him.

Episode 12: "Ross and Dee get Married"

Episode 13: "Ross and Dee get Divorced"

Three seasons later "Ross Geller: The Most Divorced Man in Philadelphia" etc etc

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I prefer to think of David Schwimmer as Greenzo, it just works with his whole...face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7s-WFQBdM