Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

do you have a very american name, op?
I don’t think so, I guess Americans are just worse at email than the rest of the world (at least the old and/or Floridian ones using my email)

The most bizarre example was when I went to set up an Apple ID and it wouldn’t let me because somebody else had already used it. I did a password reset request and “stole” the account somebody (well, I know exactly who) had somehow managed to create with my email address without my knowledge 🤷🏻

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Because of the aforementioned issue I probably need to change my email, but I have no idea how to successfully balance 'never putting your name in your email address' and 'having an email adress you can put on a cv'
Just make a professional “myname” email address that forwards to your normal one, and only use it on your CV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This is pure speculation on my part but possible causes could be:
1. The system where periods get ignored was implemented after Gmail launched, so if you signed up back in, say, the invite-only days, johnsmith@gmail and john.smith@gmail were separate inboxes.
2. There was a brief period where the gmail trademark was in dispute in the UK during the early days of gmail, so everyone who registered a gmail account in the UK between certain dates got an email address that was @googlemail instead. Possibly something went fucky when those email addresses were merged back into gmail and duplicates were missed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If it really is a Gmail issue and not just olds fat-fingering their addresses then it’s insane that I’ve never seen a tech article about it and nobody has weaponised it yet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Z the IVth posted:

It's almost like there hasn't been a war going on for 2 years which is full of small battery powered devices flying everywhere making everyone's lives a misery.

If there was some directed energy weapon that could surgically zap drones/battery powered electronics reliably then surely someone out there would have figured it out already.

Instead the Russians just used a shed.

Bit late to the directed energy weapon party but still:

Aristotle directing sunlight at enemy ships with a parabolic mirror - technically feasible with enough mirrors, trained operators etc & after all, who hasn't stolen a convex lens from the school physics lab & sat in the back of Latin in the portacabin burning holes in their ties on a hot summer's day?

2000 mirrors & the heat of the sun to make 10MW of power

source: http://www.unmuseum.org/burning_mirror.htm

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

namesurname AT gmail DOTcom
v
name.surname AT gmail DOTcom

One of my email addresses is like this and I just tested it (two separately addressed emails with different subjects) and both came to the same one.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I also keep getting emails from a bunch of people with the same name on my gmail, I guess it's pretty common.

What's more fun is that an employee/tenant vetting service once flagged me as lying because it confused my online profile with another guy with the same name. That really sucked, they wouldn't accept any clarification either.

Brave new digital world, etc, etc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
once peter thiel buys the nhs, all deaths will be because of peter thiel

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Died with Peter Thiel.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In all honesty I think it's probably this:

Reveilled posted:

1. The system where periods get ignored was implemented after Gmail launched, so if you signed up back in, say, the invite-only days, johnsmith@gmail and john.smith@gmail were separate inboxes.
I remember having to fish for an invite either on SA or the old gamespy forums IRC channel. One of the first things I used it for was signing up for Steam so I could preregister the copy of Half Life 2 that came free with my graphics card (or more accurately, was going to have come free with my graphics card, since it was delayed).

It's entirely probable that I registered initials.surname@gmail during beta and then in recent years someone registered initialssurname@gmail and the age / format of my account has confused whatever various weird passthroughs and safety measures the system uses.

There are a bunch of articles about this issue, it's just that obviously google buries them, and it also happens randomly enough I'm not sure a hacker could reliably use it as an exploit.

So it's just a weird quirk, the same way occasionally our postie will have a brain fart and deliver us our neighbour's physical mail.

E: wrong, please stop quoting.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 15, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Because of the aforementioned issue I probably need to change my email, but I have no idea how to successfully balance 'never putting your name in your email address' and 'having an email adress you can put on a cv'

The problem you think you’re having literally isn’t a real thing. You can’t register separate accounts for name.surname@gmail and namesurname@gmail no matter how many .’s you put in there because their system (correctly) sees them all as the same account.

Go ahead and try it, throw as many .’s as you want in there, you will be told the account already exists because they’re all the same account.

The other person is just loving bad at putting their email address into forms and their friends have likely just been sending emails to the address this person also incorrectly gave them.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?sjid=6472431866017978830-AP

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The other person is just loving bad at putting their email address into forms and their friends have likely just been sending emails to the address this person also incorrectly gave them.
Including an email where they were replying to the other guy? And it had his email address in the 'to' field?

The only thing worse than someone telling you the thing that's happening isn't happening is someone telling you your problem is fixed and linking you to a solution that doesn't apply.

E: wrong, please stop quoting

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 15, 2024

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I registered with the iSnoop thing on here when it came out (Happy holidays buttholes) and I signed up with something.etc@gmail.com and occasionally get somethingetc@gmail.com stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Including an email where they were replying to the other guy? And it had his email address in the 'to' field?

The only thing worse than someone telling you the thing that's happening isn't happening is someone telling you your problem is fixed and linking you to a solution that doesn't apply.

Try this, take that email address you believe is somehow being mistakenly routed to you and try to log into it with your password.

If what you’re describing was a real thing that was happening people would be losing their loving minds, because that’s a huge privacy issue that google wouldn’t be able to ignore.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Aristotle directing sunlight at enemy ships with a parabolic mirror - technically feasible with enough mirrors, trained operators etc & after all, who hasn't stolen a convex lens from the school physics lab & sat in the back of Latin in the portacabin burning holes in their ties on a hot summer's day?
One of my friends mirror plated a big old satellite dish, put a length of old fibre optic cable where the horn was, and just about managed to weld with it on a bright day.

Also

PTerry posted:

That's why it's always worth having a few philosophers around the place. One minute it's all is truth beauty and is beauty truth, and does a falling tree in the forest make a sound if there's no one there to hear it, and then just when you think they're going to start dribbling one of 'em says, incidentally, putting a thirty-foot parabolic reflector on a high place to shoot the rays of the sun at an enemy's ships would be a very interesting demonstration of optical principles.

Unfortunately we defunded all the arty farty libs with their questioning the nature of truth and replaced them with Boris Johnson's Laser Rifles, so we'll get 30 round magazines full of AA batteries and be thankful.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

not read the articles but surely that is exactly what classically educated boris is thinking about and feeling very proud of himself for doing so

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Arthur C Clarke "A slight case of sunstroke" - football fans annihilate the ref using their match programmes.
(Link goes straight to PDF)

https://web.as.uky.edu/history/faculty/myrup/his208/Electronic%20Reading%20(Apr%2008).pdf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pray for borus, got divorced because he used all the mirrors in the house to set a cardboard bus on fire at the end of the yard.

(Also the other classical deity thing of doing adultery all day.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boris showing off his new special electro gadget and it's clearly one of those illegal water cannons he bought as mayor but with a bunch of ill fitting cardboard around it

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

It's not a thing but the extra weight vanishing would be nice!

Instead of carrying ammo which you know, disappears as its used you now have to carry a heavy power pack that you cannot ever discard as it costs more than your life and you will be shot if you ever return to base without it. #Warhammer40k

big scary monsters posted:

Having an early name@gmail account gets you sent a lot of confidential documents intended for other people. I keep getting leasing documents from a BMW dealership for some prick whose name isn't even that similar to mine. I just delete them but if I ever wanted to identity theft someone I know of at least one guy who is bad at technology and has the cash to rent a beamer.

Did you hear about all the emails that were meant for .mil addresses (US military) that were being sent to .ml (Mali) which were ending up in some random guy's inbox.

Id be morbidly interested in seeing stats for how “a bloke with a gun” stacks up against “bombs and shells and rockets and every other kind of weapon we wage war with”

Bloke with gun does very little. They keep quoting the stats in the war threads but the blokes with the mortars/machineguns/artillery do something like 90% of the actual killing. But the bloke with a rifle objects if you try and downsize his gun to a SMG which is lighter and would have the same utility because phallic stand in apparently.

Tesseraction posted:

Boris showing off his new special electro gadget and it's clearly one of those illegal water cannons he bought as mayor but with a bunch of ill fitting cardboard around it

If you filled the water tank with the contents of the Thames you end up with a weapon banned by the Geneva convention.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 14, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

One of those water cannons had a fitting end

Dismaland seems like such a long time ago :allears:

https://londoncallingblog.net/2015/09/26/a-visit-to-dismaland-bemusement-park/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Did you hear about all the emails that were meant for .mil addresses (US military) that were being sent to .ml (Mali) which were ending up in some random guy's inbox.

It was a contractor working in Mali who caught all the unintended ones and tried to get the US to fix their poo poo and they ignored him to he told the Washington Post or some other major paper to try and get something to change.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Instead of carrying ammo which you know, disappears as its used you now have to carry a heavy power pack that you cannot ever discard as it costs more than your life and you will be shot if you ever return to base without it. #Warhammer40k

Boris already has the gratuituous Latin, the haughty jingoism, and the innumerable children scattered across many worlds, so throw in the ill-conceived lasguns and we're halfway to the year 40,000 already.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nope. I got a 'reply to' email from one of his relatives with initialssurname@gmail in the 'to' field, and my email is initials.surname@gmail. Either someone's masking their email to pull an internecine and extremely weird scam, or whatever system gmail uses to guess where these messages are supposed to go sometimes gets it wrong.

Mostly they keep subscribing to a newsletter from a garage / restaurant that does a steak dinner while your car is being serviced, which I then unsubscribe from and block. But it's definitely not a transcription error - I also assumed it was that at first but a ton of people who signed up (particularly when it was in beta) have had similar issues.

Your email isn't initials.surname@gmail.com, it's initialssurname@gmail.com. The periods are optional and people are dumb. Mystery solved.

E;fb

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mystery not solved, read it again.

Try this, take that email address you believe is somehow being mistakenly routed to you and try to log into it with your password.
That's not what I'm describing at all. There are two seperate email adresses - initials.surname@gmail and initialssurname@gmail, and reveilled has already explained how this can happen (even though the link you posted says it can't, which immediately demonstrates google's attitude toward this).

Mine is initials.surname@gmail and for the first few years this wasn't a problem. Then they brought in the dots thing, and suddenly I started recieving random emails for the other guy. Not every email. Just occasional ones.

The steakhouse mailing list is interesting because out of curiosity I tried signing up to their list using a hotmail address and it requires a confirmation. Which means they had to have confirmed it from their account. And when I recieve the emails, they're addressed to initialssurname@gmail, so either the steakhouse is obfuscating the destination address or gmail is routing it to the wrong person.

And as I said, there was an email that was sent from initialssurname@gmail to their relative, the relative replied to them, and the message somehow got bounced to me at initials.surname@gmail.

I get that this is frustrating and seems like it shouldn't be happening, but I've been using technology long enough to understand that there is a vast, yawning gulf between "that shouldn't be able to happen" and "that doesn't happen," especially with google products.

What I suspect is that there's a system set up to handle this situation (there being two invoxes that are an exception to a general rule) and it's throwing up exceptions or misfiring. I can see a bunch of ways this could be happening, the most obvious being a prioritisation overlap in certain cases where it defaults back to the dot not mattering.

Mostly I can't be arsed to chase this up because I suspect probably if they HAD to fix this, they'd do it by deleting my legacy/beta inbox as the outlier, and I really can't be arsed trying to change my login or make new accounts for everything.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 15, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's not what I'm describing at all. There are two seperate email adresses - initials.surname@gmail and initialssurname@gmail, and reveilled has already explained how this can happen (even though the link you posted says it can't, which immediately demonstrates google's attitude toward this).

Yeah and I, as well as google and everyone else, am telling you that that’s not a thing. There are no separate accounts with dots delineating them.

Go ahead and try logging into the one you’re certain isn’t yours.

The issue you’re claiming to have would be a huge fuckin deal. There is absolutely zero chance google would get away with ignoring it if it was actually a thing, and not the same thing it is for every other instance of this where it’s someone putting their email address in wrong.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 14, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tesseraction posted:

Boris showing off his new special electro gadget and it's clearly one of those illegal water cannons he bought as mayor but with a bunch of ill fitting cardboard and laser cat toys around it

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Z the IVth posted:

Bloke with gun does very little. They keep quoting the stats in the war threads but the blokes with the mortars/machineguns/artillery do something like 90% of the actual killing. But the bloke with a rifle objects if you try and downsize his gun to a SMG which is lighter and would have the same utility because phallic stand in apparently.

Well, sort of. If someone joins the army and ends up with a rifle instead of one of the shinier toys to play with, nobody is going to care if they object to it. But there's definitely going to be a general somewhere arguing on his behalf about why he should have this other, heavier, more expensive piece of kit to carry around just in case an incredibly unlikely scenario occurs where it becomes necessary.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah and I, as well as google and everyone else, am telling you that that’s not a thing. There are no separate accounts with dots delineating them.

Go ahead and try logging into the one you’re certain isn’t yours.
Can I just clarify, do you think I'm mistaken or lying?

Because if it's the former, I've provided enough evidence info to show I'm not; and if it's the latter I wish you the best and will leave it there.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 15, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can I just clarify, do you think I'm mistaken or lying? Because if it's the former I've provided enough evidence info to show I'm not, and if it's the latter I wish you the best and will leave it there

I don’t think you’re lying and I don’t think you’re mistaken (because I’m absolutely convinced you’re mistaken), but if you really want to keep living in this weird imagined world where google have a gaping privacy hole that only you are impacted by then Godspeed I guess.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can I just clarify, do you think I'm mistaken or lying? Because if it's the former I've provided enough evidence I'm not, and if it's the latter I wish you the best and will leave it there

Honestly, I do think HCI's suggestion is worth giving a try. If there are two email addresses in gmail with one being first.last and the other being firstlast, trying to log into the one that isn't yours with your password should produce an error message, while if they were in fact the same account all along, logging in with your password on the "wrong" email would take you to your inbox.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Arthur C Clarke "A slight case of sunstroke" - football fans annihilate the ref using their match programmes.
(Link goes straight to PDF)

https://web.as.uky.edu/history/faculty/myrup/his208/Electronic%20Reading%20(Apr%2008).pdf

That's a pretty amusing lil story. I reckon Clarke used a similar approach to start wildfires in the Sri Lankan jungle and drive children into his compound

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ok, I read your posts again.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's supposed to happen is if you have name@gmail.com, you're supposed to be able to enter name-suffix@gmail or name.suffix@gmail (or even namesuffix@gmail.com) on webforms, and it'll still route to your inbox. It's so you can enter eg. name.facebook@gmail and then if you start getting spam you know who leaked your email address.

This suggests you don't know how Gmail works because none of this is true. Have you been setting up accounts with name.application@gmail.com and wondering why you never got confirmation emails? This is why.

You've probably been confusing someone called Bobby Facebook with your attempts to log in over the years!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dioptic manifold clear! ... Focusing light energy!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was quite recent that some school kids proved this in some class they were doing on Aristotle.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I accidentally generated one of these with a plastic garden mirror. I left it leaning in a curved way against the wall. Now my garden waste wheely bin is all melted on one side.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Dioptic manifold clear! ... Focusing light energy!

(The next time BoJo buys a new house.)
"Compensating for Terrain Flux."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's supposed to happen is if you have name@gmail.com, you're supposed to be able to enter name-suffix@gmail or name.suffix@gmail (or even namesuffix@gmail.com) on webforms, and it'll still route to your inbox. It's so you can enter eg. name.facebook@gmail and then if you start getting spam you know who leaked your email address.

I think what you're thinking of is called "plus addressing".

So if you have joe.bloggs@gmail.com and you're signing up for a Tesco clubcard, you could put joe.bloggs+tesco@gmail.com as your email address, and the emails will still go to the joe.bloggs@gmail.com inbox.

It doesn't work with dots or hyphens, though.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

shameful nobody recalling the gherkin melting some cars. And it seems they even made another one in London called Walkie Talkie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

killerwhat posted:

I accidentally generated one of these with a plastic garden mirror. I left it leaning in a curved way against the wall. Now my garden waste wheely bin is all melted on one side.
That's just called cutting out the middle man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I registered my Google email address many moons ago as firstname.lastname@gmail.com, and I occasionally get emails for firstnamelastname@gmail.com, for what it's worth.

[edit] Just tried to sign in as firstnamelastname@gmail.com with my password, and it works, so gently caress knows what I've been doing/thinking all these years!

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 14, 2024