Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the important thing here isn't to look at is as "10,000 american jobs or progress towards climate change" I think ultimately that's a bit of a false dichotomy; and plays into the same sort of narrative like if you aren't doing everything in your own individual power to be "go green" you're contributing towards the death of the planet; complex issues don't just boil down to Roko's Basilisk.

That's why I couched it as "politically", because that's absolutely how conservatives frame it. And it's a framing that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

koolkal posted:

When you describe it that way, democracy doesn't sound very good.

Unless you've got support that other forms of government are better with regards to climate change, the issue is probably more along the line of humans are bad at valuing long term thinking.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

From an individual perspective, I’m just pissed that I can’t get decent low-price EVs. All the legislation and jockeying makes sense in the sense that people with more money on the line than me get an outsized role in determining these things, but ultimately there’s no little EV truck with a form factor that makes sense for people who really just need a little truck, not a huge personality implant. All the jockeying and care about tariffs just sounds like rich people arguing over who gets to soak me.

I am ready to be a buyer, but what’s on offer is just dreck for what I need to get, and it seems like expensive dreck I can’t justify, which makes my 07 Forester the most attractive choice. I’m not going to buy some lovely American heap because it’s all that’s available, I’m going to wait and either get another pre-screens-everywhere used Subaru, or I’m gonna get the Chinese EV truck. Sounds like a Subaru for the foreseeable future though because we can’t nut up to face the idea that global capital can go anywhere, but those same rules should apply to labor or products.

There is entirely too much top end car available, but low end worker grade models are exactly where Chinese EVs would make a killing, so it seems pretty convenient for everyone except the end consumer who could afford those that we don’t have them. I own my own home, charging isn’t the issue. It’s not wanting to pay too much for too much car that the vast majority of “too much” is put into screens and features I’d never take as options but are now standard.

I just need a small, no-frills truck to haul poo poo around for the yard, help friends move, and deliver furniture for my wife’s business. That seems like an impossible goal with what’s available now.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

The ideal use situation for EVs is to charge overnight at home- on the daily, most people shouldn't be exceeding 200+ miles in a day. Nobody frets about keeping their gas tank topped off all the time, but there's a weird expectation that if your car isn't at 80%+ charge you're about to be stranded.

And again that's because I can stop and put gas in my car in a few minutes as I'm driving around. I don't have to have anxiety about being able to keep my car fueled because I can refuel it with relative ease.

Glass of Milk posted:

One cool idea is battery swap stations- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZy603as5w. You drive in, the batteries are swapped for new ones, and you drive out. Include that kind of thing in the serviceable life of the car (with an option to extend after that) and it could help alleviate range anxiety AND people's worries about battery longevity.

This would be one way to deal with the refueling problem, definitely.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

PharmerBoy posted:

Unless you've got support that other forms of government are better with regards to climate change, the issue is probably more along the line of humans are bad at valuing long term thinking.

It was mostly tongue in cheek but it is rather silly to view politics as the lawmakers sitting there looking at polling averages and picking whichever position is favored by 51%+ of people. That's already not how our democracy works in the US as previous studies have shown that legislation often ignores what most people want and favors the rich and powerful.

And to speak to the larger point, it's absurd that the US has such a shitshow of an EV industry. The US already has about double the emissions share coming from transportation compared to the global average and it should be a huge priority for our government, moreso than the EU or China. The fact that our entire industry relies on the whims of a drugged out shithead to handle the basic task of charging the car is very stupid. The government should be taking a much stronger role in issues of interconnectedness and compatibility or making sure infrastructure is being built to support an EV future. Part of the infrastructure bill from a few years ago was to expand the number of EV stations and also set some requirements for their performance to receive funding.

The outcome so far:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/03/28/ev-charging-stations-slow-rollout/

quote:

Biden’s $7.5 billion investment in EV charging has only produced 7 stations in two years

President Biden has long vowed to build 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations in the United States by 2030. Those stations, the White House said, would help Americans feel confident purchasing and driving electric cars, and help the country cut carbon pollution.

But now, more than two years after Congress allocated $7.5 billion to help build out those stations, only 7 EV charging stations are operational across four states. And as the Biden administration rolls out its new rules for emissions from cars and trucks — which will require a lot more electric cars and hybrids on the road — the sluggish build-out could slow the transition to electric cars.

“I think a lot of people who are watching this are getting concerned about the timeline,” said Alexander Laska, deputy director for transportation and innovation at the center-left think tank Third Way.

The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which Biden signed in November 2021, included $7.5 billion for EV charging. Of that, $5 billion was allocated to individual states in so-called “formula funding” to build a network of fast chargers along major highways in the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure, or NEVI, program.

But after two years, that program has only delivered seven open charging stations with a total of 38 spots where drivers can charge their vehicles, according to a spokesperson for the Federal Highway Administration. (The funding should be enough to build up to 20,000 charging spots or around 5,000 stations, according to analysis from the EV policy analyst group Atlas Public Policy.) Stations are open in Hawaii, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania and under construction in four other states.

Twelve additional states have awarded contracts for constructing the charging stations; 17 states have not yet issued proposals.

Last month, Republican members of the House of Representatives sent a letter to the Biden administration with a list of questions about the slow rollout of EV chargers.

“We have significant concerns that under your efforts American taxpayer dollars are being woefully mismanaged,” wrote Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) and Morgan Griffith (R-Va.). “The problems with these programs continue to grow — delays in the delivery of chargers, concerns from States about labor contracting requirements and minimum operating standards for chargers,” the letter continued.

Nick Nigro, founder of Atlas Public Policy, said that some of the delays are to be expected. “State transportation agencies are the recipients of the money,” he said. “Nearly all of them had no experience deploying electric vehicle charging stations before this law was enacted.”

Nigro says that the process — states have to submit plans to the Biden administration for approval, solicit bids on the work, and then award funds — has taken much of the first two years since the funding was approved. “I expect it to go much faster in 2024,” he added.

“We are building a national EV charging network from scratch, and we want to get it right,” a spokesperson for the Federal Highway Administration said in an email. “After developing program guidance and partnering with states to guide implementation plans, we are hitting our stride as states move quickly to bring NEVI stations online.”

A White House spokesperson said in an email that the nation’s public charging network has grown substantially since Biden entered office, and that the administration expects the nation to reach the goal of 500,000 charging stations by 2026.

“More Americans are buying EVs every day — with EV sales rising faster than traditional gas-powered cars — as the President’s Investing in America agenda makes EVs more affordable, helps Americans save money when driving, and makes EV charging accessible and convenient," the spokesperson added, noting that the pace of charger installations is increasing.

Part of the slow rollout is that the new chargers are expected to be held to much higher standards than previous generations of fast chargers. The United States currently has close to 10,000 “fast” charging stations in the country, of which over 2,000 are Tesla Superchargers, according to the Department of Energy. Tesla Superchargers — some of which have been opened to drivers of other vehicles — are the most reliable fast-charging systems in the country.

But many non-Tesla fast chargers have a reputation for poor performance and sketchy reliability. EV advocates have criticized Electrify America, the company created by Volkswagen after the company’s “Dieselgate” emissions scandal, for spending hundreds of millions of dollars on chargers that don’t work well. The company has said they are working to improve reliability. The data analytics company J.D. Power has estimated that only 80 percent of all charging attempts in the country are successful.

Biden administration guidance requires the new publicly funded chargers to be operational 97 percent of the time, provide 150kW of power at each charger, and be no more than one mile from the interstate, among many other requirements.

EV policy experts say those requirements are critical to building a good nationwide charging program — but also slow down the build-out of the chargers. “This funding comes with dozens of rules and requirements,” Laska said. “That is the nature of what we’re trying to accomplish.”

States have also faced challenges getting permitting approval and electricity out to stations that may be in fairly remote areas. Nigro points out that each charging spot will require the same maximum power as around 20 homes — a huge lift for local utilities not used to installing chargers.

Not all of the nation’s chargers will come from the public program. Private companies are also working on expanding the nation’s charging network, including by installing Level 2, or slightly slower, chargers for charging in apartment buildings or at the workplace.

But the chargers from the NEVI program would increase the country’s fast charging capacity by around 50 percent — a crucial step to alleviating “range anxiety” and helping Americans shift into battery electric cars. States just have to build them first.

“States are just not operating with the same urgency that some of the rest of us are,” Laska said.

Supposedly this should be speeding up this year but I'll believe it when I see it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The talking point about keeping the battery between 20 and 80% is misinformation that is easily believable by folks with no EV experience. The battery capacity is there, use it. That advice is around daily storage. Don’t store it for days below 20% or above 100%. If you charge it to 100%, then go somewhere, you’re good. People frequently go below 10% on road trips and charge to 100% before leaving. I’m taking a 4-500 mile drive in my 300mi range EV this week and I’m not even thinking about any supposed limitations. We took a 2000mi round trip to Yellowstone and I had to stop to pee well before I had to stop to charge.

I will say that rental cars are like a worst case scenario. EVs are best with predictable driving schedules and a “home base” with charging. You tend to have neither with a rental.

If this derail overstays it’s welcome here, please feel free to join us in the EV thread! You (yes you!) can probably make it work! Used Chevy Bolts for $15k or less, some with brand new batteries and rebates available!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I probably drive more than 250 miles in a given day 3 times a year. I'll spend an extra 30 minutes on 3 road trips a year to pay like $0.80 per 100 miles of range for the rest of the entire year. Lots of people come at this question like the guy who needs a pickup truck in case they ever need to pick up wood from the hardware store, as if there aren't any other options.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wayne Knight posted:

If this derail overstays it’s welcome here, please feel free to join us in the EV thread! You (yes you!) can probably make it work! Used Chevy Bolts for $15k or less, some with brand new batteries and rebates available!
i live off making less than 20k a year, no i cant

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

This is an article from 2007 and maybe the most notable thing about China under Xi has been the improvement in the environment

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yeah an EV (or any even reliable vehicle) is out of my reach economically and practically (charging would be a burden). I'd gladly get on a bus or a train though, I hate owning a car. Trains used to run through here.

It's funny, another technology that MIGHT be PART of a solution, but we'll only do the parts that help the market. We're relying on innovation to solve problems we already had solutions for. None of these innovations will avail us at the rate we're going. EVs are not going to stop collapse.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of my local grocery stores had a half dozen chargers, wound up removing them because it caused traffic jams at the entrance to the parking lot where the chargers were located. Turns out a lot of people own Teslas but either didn't have the ability to charge at home, or didn't have the ability to charge rapidly at home. It wasn't uncommon to see all 6 chargers in use and another 10 Teslas lined up, hoping someone would leave.

Didn't they make $texas for selling overpriced electricity and getting new regular customers for the store?

On other side of the pond, EU has mandated that any non-residential* building with more than 20 parking spot needs to have an electric charging station.
EU also mandates that member countries arrange that main road networks have sufficient fast charging capacity every 60 km (~40 miles)
There's also minimum available public charging capacity requirements based on how many EV are owned in the local region.

Deadlines for most of these are 2025 and the demands increase in 2030, 2035 and so on.

I've owned non-Tesla EV for a year now in Finland. I have a home charger, but even without that I would have been able to keep my vehicle topped up from local stores I frequent. My workplace has too few charging station so far, but they're expanding the capacity.
I did two longer 300+ km (~200 miles) trip last winter.
City visit at 0 c (30 F) weather didn't took any longer than with my previous car with 2 stops.
Ski trip at -20c (-5F) weather took maybe half hour longer due to increased electricity consumption. 2 stops here too.

*(with some exceptions, like cold storage facilities)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 14, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

This is an article from 2007 and maybe the most notable thing about China under Xi has been the improvement in the environment

You're missing the point that an immeasurable amount of damage has already been done, and still has been done, and will continue to still be done under the Chinese system of government. That the government has decided via its own unaccountable authoritarian processes to do something about doesn't counteract the fact that for as long as growing GDP at all costs was the priority, the environment was willingly thrown into a vat of industrial acid in a short sighted effort to make Number Go Up despite the alleged emphasis under their system on long term planning. That China is doing something now doesn't mean their system is any better about climate change than democracy is. Because guess which country has also been doing a lot about climate change more recent than not and what system of government they have?

koolkal posted:

It was mostly tongue in cheek but it is rather silly to view politics as the lawmakers sitting there looking at polling averages and picking whichever position is favored by 51%+ of people. That's already not how our democracy works in the US as previous studies have shown that legislation often ignores what most people want and favors the rich and powerful.

And to speak to the larger point, it's absurd that the US has such a shitshow of an EV industry. The US already has about double the emissions share coming from transportation compared to the global average and it should be a huge priority for our government, moreso than the EU or China. The fact that our entire industry relies on the whims of a drugged out shithead to handle the basic task of charging the car is very stupid. The government should be taking a much stronger role in issues of interconnectedness and compatibility or making sure infrastructure is being built to support an EV future. Part of the infrastructure bill from a few years ago was to expand the number of EV stations and also set some requirements for their performance to receive funding.

The outcome so far:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/03/28/ev-charging-stations-slow-rollout/

Supposedly this should be speeding up this year but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Democracy as a concept, or how sacrificing whatever number of jobs or the US's own long term prospects to grow their own domestic EV industry?

It seems like there's a bureaucratic process that took up a lot of time, likely to make sure the proposals are serious and well thought out causing delays; as much as it would be great to see more progress sooner, I don't think it'd be good to do so recklessly, we wouldn't want charging stations build to meet arbitrary quotas that don't work; or similar such outcomes.

Its one thing to be upset that things are going slow and wish it was faster, but the Biden Administration placing tariffs on Chinese EVs isn't really related or likely to affect the bigger picture; and just seems like a distraction/scapegoat.

selec posted:

From an individual perspective, I’m just pissed that I can’t get decent low-price EVs. All the legislation and jockeying makes sense in the sense that people with more money on the line than me get an outsized role in determining these things, but ultimately there’s no little EV truck with a form factor that makes sense for people who really just need a little truck, not a huge personality implant. All the jockeying and care about tariffs just sounds like rich people arguing over who gets to soak me.

I am ready to be a buyer, but what’s on offer is just dreck for what I need to get, and it seems like expensive dreck I can’t justify, which makes my 07 Forester the most attractive choice. I’m not going to buy some lovely American heap because it’s all that’s available, I’m going to wait and either get another pre-screens-everywhere used Subaru, or I’m gonna get the Chinese EV truck. Sounds like a Subaru for the foreseeable future though because we can’t nut up to face the idea that global capital can go anywhere, but those same rules should apply to labor or products.

There is entirely too much top end car available, but low end worker grade models are exactly where Chinese EVs would make a killing, so it seems pretty convenient for everyone except the end consumer who could afford those that we don’t have them. I own my own home, charging isn’t the issue. It’s not wanting to pay too much for too much car that the vast majority of “too much” is put into screens and features I’d never take as options but are now standard.

I just need a small, no-frills truck to haul poo poo around for the yard, help friends move, and deliver furniture for my wife’s business. That seems like an impossible goal with what’s available now.

That does suck, but its also describes a classic tragedy of the commons sort of situation.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

That China is doing something now doesn't mean their system is any better about climate change than democracy is

Your entire argument is that tariffs are necessary because China is apparently willing to subsidize EVs and green energy to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars and the US is not

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

Your entire argument is that tariffs are necessary because China is apparently willing to subsidize EVs and green energy to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars and the US is not

What? That's not my argument at all? Where do I say that?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

As much as I would love for green tech to be cheaper; there's other concerns and its legitimately in the US and EU's interests to take measures if China isn't playing by the rules it agreed to follow. It just happened to be green technology in the headlines this time but it can just as easily be any other trendy growing industry; American workers and the American/EU economies also have a right to support its own industries and to make sure competition is being done fairly. China could always have negotiated a trade agreement if it wants to legally subsidies EVs in the EU and US markets.

I believe this argument started here

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

I believe this argument started here

Where do I say that tariffs on Chinese EVs are necessary because the US is "unwilling" to pass its own subsidies? And how does this relate to the argument you responded to and changed the topic from?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

Where do I say that tariffs on Chinese EVs are necessary because the US is "unwilling" to pass its own subsidies? And how does this relate to the argument you responded to and changed the topic from?

Alright, sorry, I guess you oppose the tariffs then? If you're arguing China isn't "playing by the rules", but you don't mean subsidies, can you explain what you mean?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The US has plenty of green subsidies and has for decades. But subsidies can take many forms. For example, right now in the US you can get a pile of cash from the government to buy an EV.

But if instead that cash went directly to a manufacturer instead of to consumers, EVs would be priced lower... Then those companies could ship those cheap EVs to foreign markets and outcompete all the local manufacturers. Those foreign governments probably wouldn't be fans tho.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

Alright, sorry, I guess you oppose the tariffs then? If you're arguing China isn't "playing by the rules", but you don't mean subsidies, can you explain what you mean?

What does this have to do with China's environmental record as a non-democracy (the argument you responded to before changing topics, you still haven't explained the connection)? What do you mean by "don't mean subsidies"? I think you've made an erroneous assumption in your thinking that a greater understanding of the facts would've precluded you from making. I think from the paragraph you quoted and from my subsequent posts it's pretty clear I do support the tariffs as well, I dunno about "necessary" but clearly I believe the grounds and reasoning for them is understandable given the context I already explained in the post you quoted and can read for yourself, what do you not understand?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

But if instead that cash went directly to a manufacturer instead of to consumers, EVs would be priced lower...
If history is anything to go by, they'd take the money and then still price them the same.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

What does this have to do with China's environmental record as a non-democracy (the argument you responded to before changing topics, you still haven't explained the connection)? What do you mean by "don't mean subsidies"? I think you've made an erroneous assumption in your thinking that a greater understanding of the facts would've precluded you from making. I think from the paragraph you quoted and from my subsequent posts it's pretty clear I do support the tariffs as well, I dunno about "necessary" but clearly I believe the grounds and reasoning for them is understandable given the context I already explained in the post you quoted and can read for yourself, what do you not understand?

No, I do not understand the context of your post. For one thing, the post you were responding to said, "subsidizing green technologies? pure evil, shut it down.". You then explain that China could always negotiate a deal to subsidize EVs if it wanted to. I took from that to mean that the problem with Chinese EVs, which the tariffs are meant to address, is subsidies. If that's not the problem with the EVs, then what is the problem? Similarly with solar panels, on which the Biden administration is now bumping up its tariffs from 25% to 50%.

As for environmental record, this argument is about tariffs on EVs and clean energy. China is subsidizing them (which is good), and the US is adding taxes to them (which is bad). If the US wanted an even playing field, it could always subsidize its own EVs and solar panels, but apparently it is either unwilling to or it can't do it enough.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hasn't USA subsidized Elon Musk enough?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

tractor fanatic posted:

No, I do not understand the context of your post. For one thing, the post you were responding to said, "subsidizing green technologies? pure evil, shut it down.". You then explain that China could always negotiate a deal to subsidize EVs if it wanted to. I took from that to mean that the problem with Chinese EVs, which the tariffs are meant to address, is subsidies. If that's not the problem with the EVs, then what is the problem? Similarly with solar panels, on which the Biden administration is now bumping up its tariffs from 25% to 50%.

As for environmental record, this argument is about tariffs on EVs and clean energy. China is subsidizing them (which is good), and the US is adding taxes to them (which is bad). If the US wanted an even playing field, it could always subsidize its own EVs and solar panels, but apparently it is either unwilling to or it can't do it enough.

The U.S. does subsidize EVs, but at the consumer end (which China is challenging at the WTO).

The E.U. and other member countries are also raising tariffs on Chinese imports because it is allowed if a member violated the treaty.

China subsidizes them at the corporate level. That is a violation of the trade agreement it entered in to because it bans countries from trying to "Wal-Mart" industries - where they flood the market with cheaper goods to run competitors out of business and then raise prices when they have a monopoly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

As TheDeadlyShoe explains, the US also subsidizes its own nascent Green industries; the problem isn't the idea of subsidies per se, China is allowed to provide incentives to grow and protect domestic industries. It's not allowed to do so in ways which provides an unfair comparative advantage that results in economic injury to nations that go on to import those goods.

You seem to be reading the original post by punishedkissinger literally and taking it at face value as context regarding my reply to it; the substance of PK's post is that they think its bad for Biden to pass tariffs on Chinese EVs because doing so hinders action on climate change; the substance of the issue isn't the notion of subsidies for green industries which afaik all countries have some version implemented. It's the relation between those subsidies and the domestic economic situation for the receiving nation. Where I am explaining that I think its silly to view this as "subsidies for green industries is evil" as though this act harms progress on climate change, but that it needs to be viewed in context of the Biden Admin's efforts to grow its own green industries and that obviously the US or any other nation isn't going to like it if they think they have good cause to believe another nation gained a comparative advantage via unfair practices (which again to be clear, subsidies alone per se isn't unfair, presumably the 4 year investigation revealed details about the full nature of China's efforts which makes it unfair).

Hence why the point about negotiation regarding some kind of trade agreement; if China wants access to US markets while also supporting its industry, it can do so by entering into negotiations as equal partners; as it did with previous rounds of trade agreements between China and the US on other matters.

As an example, the Pacific Trade Partnership under Obama sought to rectify some unfair practices other nations in the Pacific were engaged with that undermined US industries; such as the lack of local environmental and labour protections which artificially makes goods and services produced in those nations more competitive; and such an agreement would've equalized the cost of that trade in order to give an incentive for those nations to fix that issue.

Heck if you'd read mawarannahr's post earlier in the thread you already would've seen that the US subsidizes its own green industries.

So yeah in short, its short sighted and overly simplistic to view it as a dichotomy of "China subsidizes EVs which is good because it helps fight climate change but the Biden Admin's taxes are bad because it hurts progress on climate change" and my post was explaining this.

e, see also Leon's post:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The U.S. does subsidize EVs, but at the consumer end (which China is challenging at the WTO).

The E.U. and other member countries are also raising tariffs on Chinese imports because it is allowed if a member violated the treaty.

China subsidizes them at the corporate level. That is a violation of the trade agreement it entered in to because it bans countries from trying to "Wal-Mart" industries - where they flood the market with cheaper goods to run competitors out of business and then raise prices when they have a monopoly.

And TheDeadlyShoe's:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The US has plenty of green subsidies and has for decades. But subsidies can take many forms. For example, right now in the US you can get a pile of cash from the government to buy an EV.

But if instead that cash went directly to a manufacturer instead of to consumers, EVs would be priced lower... Then those companies could ship those cheap EVs to foreign markets and outcompete all the local manufacturers. Those foreign governments probably wouldn't be fans tho.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Most of what China is (or was acused of) doing is artificially devaluing it's currency in forex while preventing domestic inflation through authoritarian market and capital controls. This makes their goods cheaper as exports while allowing them to avoid the economic uncertainty of inflation. It also insulates them from the downsides of free trade agreements by making imports very expensive relative to domestic products.

Currently it's exchanged at $0.15 (6:1) while PPP says it should be closer to $0.25 (4:1). Compared to say the danish kroner which exchanges at $0.13(~6:1) and has a PPP of ~$0.15 (6:1). Even accounting for cheaper services PPP should not be 50% out from actual exchange rates

Also they massively abused some shipping agreements by making international small parcel service effectively free, which subsidized drop shipping at the USPS's expense. Look up UPU for the details.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1790449499728490748

AZ Senate: $0, good god

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1790439644196163881

Lol, next NYT/Siena poll is gonna have Biden down 3 in California

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

So whats happening in Ohio?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zoux posted:

lol thsoe spending numbers, democratic is almost double. 322 to 163.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Never mind Ohio, combined they're spending almost $200 per 2020 voter in Montana. Holy poo poo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ohio seems very gettable given recent trends and maybe the ballot access stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

They want Sherrod Brown's seat. And they want Tester's seat in MT. The other seats are less gettable and money's tight this cycle.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

zoux posted:

In actuality, or is this just a joke based on how polls are right now?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm Pretty sure it's a joke about how much the NYT thinks the NYT deserves a Biden interview

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ohio is not going to qualify Biden for the g.e. ballot, and Sherrod Brown will suffer as a result. Someone earlier itt posited that excluding Biden would make Democrats so mad they'd increase their turnout to compensate, but I think that's pretty much wishcasting.

lobster shirt posted:

lol thsoe spending numbers, democratic is almost double. 322 to 163.

That's for selected states, though. Compare those to the D spending for Senate races in MS, FL & TX and I reckon there'd be some parallel numbers (but maybe not), just as the R spending in solid blue states would be nominal.

eta: I'd be very happy if I were Gallego, Rosen or Baldwin, though, bc internal R polling must show them to be a lock. (Alternatively, R's could be counting on later spending ramping up.)

etaa: I found the key to the mystery; see my post on the next page.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 14, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm Pretty sure it's a joke about how much the NYT thinks the NYT deserves a Biden interview

The NYT does not own & operate Siena College polling, though; it commissioned the poll just as every other media outlet does with a polling entity.

The NYT has no influence on the polling results other than the post-polling write-up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

I suspect it's a joke about some reports recently that the NYT leadership dislikes Biden and resents him for not giving them any interviews, which the paper's owner believes the Times is entitled to have no matter how matter how out of touch with politics they prove themselves to be. Meanwhile, the Biden team reportedly doesn't really respect the Times, considering them to be out of touch politically (the Biden team was reportedly deeply unimpressed with NYT Opinion endorsing Klobuchar and Warren in 2020) and absurdly entitled (aside from the interview thing, the NYT has also complained about poo poo like reporters not getting their calls returned anymore after running pieces on Hunter Biden bullshit).

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/25/new-york-times-biden-white-house-00154219

quote:

When news broke one Saturday night in March 2023 that President Joe Biden’s nominee to lead the Federal Aviation Administration was withdrawing, Mark Walker was the reporter on duty in the New York Times Washington bureau. Assigned to write up the news, Walker asked the White House for a comment just before midnight. Assistant press secretary Abdullah Hasan was still up and emailed a quote blaming the withdrawal on a barrage of “unfounded Republican attacks.” After going through edits, Walker’s 502-word story was posted on the Times’ website in the wee hours Sunday morning.

Then all hell broke loose.

Hasan, who has since left the White House, had offered the quote to Walker on background sourced to “an administration official.” Walker, not a member of the Times’ White House team, was unfamiliar with the protocol and had made an unintended mistake and attributed the quote to Hasan. When officials in the press shop called him Sunday morning about the mistake, they asked to speak with White House Editor Elizabeth Kennedy. But the number he gave them was the cell phone of Elisabeth Bumiller, the Times Washington bureau chief.

Bumiller, who was away from Washington visiting family, received a call from Emilie Simons, a White House deputy press secretary who had actually written the statement. According to three people familiar with the conversation, Simons asked that Hasan’s name be removed and the quote attributed to a nameless official. Bumiller, who expressed dismay that the issue had been escalated to her level, was reluctant to alter a story that had already been online for over 12 hours.

Both parties later told colleagues the call ended on a sour note. Two Times staffers recalled Bumiller grumbling, as she occasionally does, about how she’d been spoken to. Aides in the press shop recalled hearing that the bureau chief had been surprisingly defensive and that when Simons tried to bring up another concern with Walker’s story, Bumiller just hung up. The following day principal deputy press secretary Olivia Dalton emailed Bumiller asking the Times to reaffirm its commitment to abide by the administration’s rules about information given on background. For Dalton, Simons and others, it was about ensuring fairness with embargoed information so that all news organizations could be on a level playing field. But the Times’ bureau chief never replied. In response, the White House removed all Times reporters from its “tier one” email list for background information about various briefings and other materials, a situation that wasn’t resolved for 11 months.

The seemingly minor incident over sourcing might not have escalated or triggered such emotional responses on both sides if not for tensions between the White House and the Times that had been bubbling beneath the surface for at least the last five years. Biden’s closest aides had come to see the Times as arrogant, intent on setting its own rules and unwilling to give Biden his due. Inside the paper’s D.C. bureau, the punitive response seemed to typify a press operation that was overly sensitive and determined to control coverage of the president.

According to interviews with two dozen people on both sides who were granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive subject, the relationship between the Democratic president and the country’s newspaper of record — for years the epitome of a liberal press in the eyes of conservatives — remains remarkably tense, beset by misunderstandings, grudges and a general lack of trust. Complaints that were long kept private are even spilling into public view, with campaign aides in Wilmington going further than their colleagues in the White House and routinely blasting the paper’s coverage in emails, posts on social media and memos.

Although the president’s communications teams bristle at coverage from dozens of outlets, the frustration, and obsession, with the Times is unique, reflecting the resentment of a president with a working-class sense of himself and his team toward a news organization catering to an elite audience — and a deep desire for its affirmation of their work. On the other side, the newspaper carries its own singular obsession with the president, aggrieved over his refusal to give the paper a sit-down interview that Publisher AG Sulzberger and other top editors believe to be its birthright.

The president’s press flacks might bemoan what they see as the entitlement of Times staffers, but they themselves put the newspaper on the highest of pedestals given its history, stature and unparalleled reach. And yet, they see the Times falling short in a make-or-break moment for American democracy, stubbornly refusing to adjust its coverage as it strives for the appearance of impartial neutrality, often blurring the asymmetries between former President Donald Trump and Biden when it comes to their perceived flaws and vastly different commitments to democratic principles.

“Democrats believe in the importance of a free press in upholding our democracy, and the NYT was for generations an important standard bearer for the fourth estate,” said Kate Berner, who worked on Biden’s 2020 campaign and then as deputy White House communications director before departing last year. “The frustration with the Times is sometimes so intense because the Times is failing at its important responsibility.”

Biden aides largely view the election as an existential choice for the country, high stakes that they believe justify tougher tactics toward the Times and the press as a whole. Some Times reporters have found themselves cut off by sources after publishing pieces the Bidens and top aides didn’t like. Columnist Maureen Dowd, for example, complained to colleagues that she stopped hearing from White House officials after a column on Hunter Biden. For many Times veterans, such actions suggest that the Trump era has warped many Democrats’ expectations of journalists.

“They’re not being realistic about what we do for a living,” Bumiller told me. “You can be a force for democracy, liberal democracy. You don’t have to be a force for the Biden White House.”

Having been in politics for some 50 years, Biden has long dealt with reporters and editors from the Times, and, for the most part, cordially. But frustrations began to mount early in 2019 as Biden launched his third run for the White House in a crowded Democratic primary field. Times reporters were annoyed not to have been invited to Biden’s first public appearance after announcing his candidacy, an informal stop at a Wilmington pizzeria that two other reporters were tipped off about. But aides to Biden, who tended to trust his generational contemporaries at the Times — columnists and other journalists he’d gotten comfortable with over several years — said they didn’t know anyone on the politics team well. “Unlike some outlets, the Times just never invested in a reporter who really knew and understood Biden and his appeal,” said one former campaign staffer. “And the coverage reflected that.”

In the early months of the Democratic primary, the Times was responding to pressures of its own. Still in the throes of covering the Trump presidency, the institution had become acutely self-conscious about criticism that it was out of touch with much of the country. At the same time, then-Executive Editor Dean Baquet and Managing Editor Joe Kahn were stung by former editor Jill Abramson’s criticism of how the “narcissistic” Times had missed the rise of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in 2018, according to four Times veterans. As Democratic presidential hopefuls began debating, coverage focused heavily on the policy debates among more progressive candidates — debates Biden largely wasn’t involved in.

While Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren was gaining ground in early polls and enjoying positive early coverage, stories about Biden in the Times frequently depicted him as a relic, out of step with younger, more liberal primary voters and, following defeats in the early contests, poorly organized. Although it had nothing to do with the newsroom, the Opinion page’s double endorsement of Warren and Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota (neither of whom won a single primary or caucus), helped cement Biden world’s view that the Times was out of touch with the broader electorate — an electorate personified by the Times security guard who gushed over Biden in the Times elevator as he was headed up for his interview with the editorial board. (In a subtle tweak aimed at the Times, Biden’s campaign invited that security guard to formally nominate him at the DNC months later.)

Biden aides, who spent months privately imploring the paper’s editors and reporters not to write him off too early in the cycle, still hold a grudge under the belief that the paper was institutionally aligned toward Warren and progressives. “It’s just not true,” one senior Times editor told me. Biden, the editor continued, “wasn’t involved in a lot of the debates about Medicare For All [that dominated the early months of the race]. And while a lot of campaigns were offering access to the candidate, Biden was not. That played out in the coverage.”

But it was the paper’s willingness to legitimize rumors swirling around Hunter Biden’s past business dealings in Ukraine that left top campaign officials most incensed. In a letter to Baquet in October 2019, deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield blasted the Times for a story by reporter Ken Vogel and freelancer Iuliia Mendel focused on allegations by Rudy Giuliani and other Trump allies that Joe Biden took actions toward Ukraine as vice president in order to boost his son Hunter Biden’s business interests there. The paper’s reporting, the letter claimed, legitimized a “debunked … conspiracy theory” that had been, to that point, “relegated to the likes of Breitbart, Russian propaganda … and regular Hannity guest John Solomon.”

Complaints about the paper’s Hunter Biden coverage dominated a late 2019 meeting at campaign headquarters in Philadelphia, where Bedingfield and other senior Biden operatives met with Times politics editor Patrick Healy and a few reporters to discuss the paper’s coverage.

Although the meeting was not especially confrontational, both sides mostly talked past one another, according to people in both camps familiar with the conversation. While Healy and the Times reporters made clear they took Biden seriously as a candidate and potential nominee, they defended coverage of the allegations swirling around his son — and, ultimately, made little headway in convincing campaign aides to make Biden more available. “It was helpful to hear what was on their minds,” one Times staffer familiar with the meeting said. “But in some ways they don’t shape and control their narrative the way they could if they were more engaged.”

Although the newspaper, like most mainstream outlets with a heavy White House presence, devoted pages of coverage to the president’s early legislative successes, its unrelenting focus on Biden’s advanced age and his low numbers in the NYT’s approval poll have frustrated the president and top aides to no end. Beyond that, they bemoan the newspaper’s penchant for sweepy comparisons, analytical reporter memos — referred to in the Biden press shop as “opinion pieces” or “diary entries” — and story frames that seem consistently skeptical.

The Times’ chief White House correspondent, Peter Baker, whose stories about Biden’s age have regularly strummed a particularly sensitive nerve, told me that the administration’s frustrations over his and his colleagues’ coverage wasn’t all that unique. “Every White House I’ve covered complains about our coverage. It comes with the territory,” he said. “But because of Trump, there’s this new assumption that the New York Times and other media are supposed to put their thumb on the scale and take sides and we don’t do that.”

Privately, other Times reporters who have engaged with the Biden White House and campaign view the frustration with the paper as a misguided effort to control its coverage. Beyond that, they believe writing about Trump with the stronger language Biden aides seem to want would likely do more to affect the newspaper’s brand, and the public’s trust in it, than Trump’s.

“We haven’t been tough enough on Trump? I mean, give me a break,” Bumiller responded when I asked about that oft-heard complaint. “Have they read our coverage? I don’t have to go through all the things we have covered on Trump so I just — we just do our jobs.”

Still, the White House and campaign officials most incensed by the Times’ coverage often trace their outrage back to Trump, who they see as a true threat to American democracy and, by extension, a free press. No current White House staffers were willing to speak publicly to voice their complaints, but those willing to talk on background without their names being used told me they viewed the matter as bigger than their or even Biden’s self-interest, expressing aggravation over the Times’ determination to maintain its neutral voice of God approach to an election that, in their view, is a matter of democracy’s survival.

“We do not comment on the specifics of our private discussions with reporters and editors,” said deputy press secretary Andrew Bates in response to my request for comment from the White House. “But as a White House that believes deeply in the role of the free press in American Democracy, we would note that a mutually honest, fact-based, respectful back-and-forth is a cornerstone of any healthy relationship between a media outlet and an administration. We have that kind of dialogue with The New York Times and many other media organizations.”

The Times’ desire for a sit-down interview with Biden by the newspaper’s White House team is no secret around the West Wing or within the D.C. bureau. Getting the president on the record with the paper of record is a top priority for publisher A.G. Sulzberger. So much so that last May, when Vice President Kamala Harris arrived at the newspaper’s midtown headquarters for an off-the-record meeting with around 40 Times journalists, Sulzberger devoted several minutes to asking her why Biden was still refusing to grant the paper — or any major newspaper — an interview. Harris, according to three people in the room that day, suggested that he contact the White House press office and later grumbled to aides about the back-and-forth being a waste of the allotted time.

A few months later, with the Times’ White House team still banned from the embargoed list and frustrations on both sides mounting, senior administration officials invited Executive Editor Joe Kahn, Managing Editor Carolyn Ryan and Bumiller to the White House. Although there was some discussion inside the Times of whether Kahn should respond to a summons to Washington from anyone besides the president himself, he decided to go, largely to make the case for Biden to do an interview.

The meeting with senior adviser Anita Dunn and communications director Ben LaBolt was not unlike many held from time to time with executives from other newspapers and TV networks, an exchange of views about the outlet’s coverage, a pitch for more access and an interview. Dunn and LaBolt went through a list of complaints: the unrelenting focus on polls and age, reporters not giving the White House much time to respond to stories prior to publication. The Times brass listened and sought to explain the principles guiding its coverage. The meeting, according to three people on both sides familiar with the conversation, was not especially contentious. One sign of a slight thaw in relations came weeks later when the White House invited Kahn and his wife to attend a state dinner for the Australian prime minister in October.

But the pleas for an interview have gone nowhere. As Sulzberger often tells colleagues and as he and Kahn have stressed in private conversations with the administration, every modern president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt has done an interview with the Times. That, however, is an argument deemed uncompelling by Biden aides and one that, to some White House officials, smacks of entitlement. Plus, Biden has sat for interviews with only two print reporters in more than three years (Josh Boak of the Associated Press and Evan Osnos of The New Yorker, who earned Biden’s trust during a lengthy interview during the 2020 campaign that he turned into a book). He has, of course, been eager to engage with columnists he knows and trusts, two of whom happen to work at the Times.

In Sulzberger’s view, according to two people familiar with his private comments on the subject, only an interview with a paper like the Times can verify that the 81-year-old Biden is still fit to hold the presidency. Beyond that, he has voiced concerns that Biden doing so few expansive interviews with experienced reporters could set a dangerous precedent for future administrations, according to a third person familiar with the publisher’s thinking. Sulzberger himself was part of a group from the Times that sat down with Trump, who gave the paper several interviews despite his rantings about its coverage. If Trump could do it, Sulzberger believes, so can Biden.

“All these Biden people think that the problem is Peter Baker or whatever reporter they’re mad at that day,” one Times journalist said. “It’s A.G. He’s the one who is pissed [that] Biden hasn’t done any interviews and quietly encourages all the tough reporting on his age.”

After this story was published, the Times offered an additional statement on its push for an interview. “The notion that any line of coverage has been ordered up or encouraged in retaliation for declining an interview, or any other reason, is outrageous and untrue,” said Charlie Stadtlander, a spokesman for the Times who said the paper will continue to cover Biden “fully and fairly” regardless of whether he gives the paper an interview. He also emphasized that Sulzberger “has repeatedly urged the White House to have the president sit down with the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, CNN and other major independent news organizations that millions of Americans rely on to understand their government.”

When describing their grievances with the Times, almost every Biden administration and campaign official used the word “entitled” to characterize the institution writ large and several of the individuals within the newsroom, where “Timesian” is an adjective routinely deployed without irony. Those officials described reporters who refused to correct minor errors or mischaracterizations in stories or those who haven’t been willing to engage with anyone besides the most senior administration officials. That said, many White House officials maintain productive working relationships with most of the Times reporters who cover the beat.

Bumiller and other Times White House reporters note that it’s always been the newspaper’s prerogative to determine what to cover and how. “This is pretty much par for the course,” Bumiller said. “No White House has ever been happy with our coverage and I don’t see why they should be. Our job is to hold power to account.”

Even if some of the hard feelings toward the Times have eased somewhat with time — several White House reporters, after verbally reiterating their willingness to abide by the administration’s embargo rules, were added back to the “tier one” list earlier this year — officials in the Biden press shop remain frustrated that the coverage hasn’t changed. The paper continues to serve up fodder for the “NYT Pitchbot’’ account on X, which has amassed a large following (including almost the entire Biden press shop) by mocking the paper’s perceived negativity toward the president and its often euphemistic-laden, soft focus coverage of Trump.

Bates, the deputy press secretary, has developed an online correspondence with the operator of the Pitchbot account and occasionally shared material for potential posts, two people familiar with the press shop said. During last year’s White House Correspondents Dinner, Biden joked about confusing the Times’ coverage of his age with Pitchbot’s tweets. “I love that guy,” Biden said of Pitchbot, before a subtle parting shot at the Times on a frequency only Times staffers might hear. “I should do an interview with him.”

Aides in the White House press office and on the president’s campaign pointed to two recent examples of articles by the Times that presented Biden and Trump side by side, emphasizing broad similarities and obscuring the proportional differences. One piece by Michael Shear cast both Biden and Trump as restricting the information the public has about their physical health. Another in the paper’s On Politics newsletter by the newly hired Jess Bidgood reacted to Arizona’s reinstatement of a Civil War era law outlawing abortion by framing Biden and Trump as two “imperfect messengers” on the issue, a gross journalistic injustice, campaign officials said, given Trump’s outsized role in appointing the Supreme Court justices who overturned Roe v. Wade.

TJ Ducklo, a senior adviser on Biden’s campaign, blasted Shear’s story as part of an ongoing pattern of frustrating coverage by the Times. “With limited exceptions,” he wrote in a post on X, the Times “continues to fail the American people in covering the most important election for democracy in 150+ years.” It was not the first time Biden’s campaign team publicly went after the Times in a way the White House, for all its irritation, has not. In February, the campaign blasted the Times and other news organizations for focusing more on the president’s age than Trump’s comment encouraging Russia to “do whatever the hell they want” to any NATO country not meeting defense spending benchmarks. “If you read the New York Times this weekend, you might have missed it buried behind five separate opinion pieces about how the president is 81 year old — something that has been true since his birthday in November — and *zero* on this topic,” Ducklo wrote.

Earlier this year, Ducklo, communications director Michael Tyler and other senior campaign aides met privately in Wilmington with groups of reporters from a number of organizations covering Biden (including POLITICO), almost all of whom got dressed down for coverage that was seen as too fixated on the president’s age or other liabilities, especially compared to the treatment of Trump. But when Semafor wrote about the off-the-record meetings, only the meeting with the Times was described as not having been “substantive” or “productive.”

Times reporters believe the leak had to have come from the campaign, the only ones who’d have had knowledge of all the meetings. And it led to conversations on the politics staff about whether to even engage with Wilmington in an off-the-record capacity. But campaign aides are certain the leak came from the Times side. “We had done over a dozen of these meetings leading up to the Times meeting and only got a press inquiry about the meetings less than 48 hours after the Times meeting,” senior campaign officials told me, noting that Semafor’s Max Tani “quoted back to us the exact language that had been used by Times reporters in the meeting two days earlier.”

The campaign’s outward turn toward press criticism is something of a new phenomenon, mirroring the response of the very online left in the age of Trump. But the Times is bearing the brunt of it. And many who’ve given their careers to the institution are perplexed by the shift.

“[Criticizing] our stories in their press releases,” Bumiller said, “I just don’t know what it gets them.”

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So in this thread I just read a bunch of detailed descriptions of the types of things China is doing with regards to foreign exchange, subsidies, etc.

But I also just read in this thread that the rule crafted supposedly as a result of all these details is just "no consumer subsidies if any important bits come from China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran."

And it's like... so are those other countries doing the same thing as China, or is this just the current shortlist of "countries we'd like to ruin" for the US?

It's literally W's "axis of evil" with Iraq off (because you already ruined it) and Russia and China added. But we're supposed to think it's because of China's efforts to control their own inflation while keeping exports cheap?

I mean, I guess in the eyes of the US state, that might be as bad as Iran, NK, and Russia, but I think that speaks very poorly for the judgement of the US state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jimbozig posted:

So in this thread I just read a bunch of detailed descriptions of the types of things China is doing with regards to foreign exchange, subsidies, etc.

But I also just read in this thread that the rule crafted supposedly as a result of all these details is just "no consumer subsidies if any important bits come from China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran."

And it's like... so are those other countries doing the same thing as China, or is this just the current shortlist of "countries we'd like to ruin" for the US?

It's literally W's "axis of evil" with Iraq off (because you already ruined it) and Russia and China added. But we're supposed to think it's because of China's efforts to control their own inflation while keeping exports cheap?

I mean, I guess in the eyes of the US state, that might be as bad as Iran, NK, and Russia, but I think that speaks very poorly for the judgement of the US state.

The sourcing requirements in the IRA and the tariffs are not connected. China is also challenging the U.S. sourcing requirements at the WTO and the E.U. says the U.S. sourcing requirements might not technically be a violation of WTO rules, but they don't like it and want it changed.

The tariffs are from the E.U., U.S., and other WTO member states after a 4-year investigation into China's currency manipulation and secretly subsidizing corporate production for Chinese companies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I suspect it's a joke about some reports recently that the NYT leadership dislikes Biden and resents him for not giving them any interviews, which the paper's owner believes the Times is entitled to have no matter how matter how out of touch with politics they prove themselves to be. Meanwhile, the Biden team reportedly doesn't really respect the Times, considering them to be out of touch politically (the Biden team was reportedly deeply unimpressed with NYT Opinion endorsing Klobuchar and Warren in 2020) and absurdly entitled (aside from the interview thing, the NYT has also complained about poo poo like reporters not getting their calls returned anymore after running pieces on Hunter Biden bullshit).

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/25/new-york-times-biden-white-house-00154219

This is the key excerpt imo

quote:

In Sulzberger’s view, according to two people familiar with his private comments on the subject, only an interview with a paper like the Times can verify that the 81-year-old Biden is still fit to hold the presidency. Beyond that, he has voiced concerns that Biden doing so few expansive interviews with experienced reporters could set a dangerous precedent for future administrations, according to a third person familiar with the publisher’s thinking. Sulzberger himself was part of a group from the Times that sat down with Trump, who gave the paper several interviews despite his rantings about its coverage. If Trump could do it, Sulzberger believes, so can Biden.

“All these Biden people think that the problem is Peter Baker or whatever reporter they’re mad at that day,” one Times journalist said. “It’s A.G. He’s the one who is pissed [that] Biden hasn’t done any interviews and quietly encourages all the tough reporting on his age.”
Like the next day after this story comes out, Biden announces a sit-down with CNN (where he broke significant news), then he did Howard Stern, and now he's giving an exclusive interview to uhhhh Yahoo Finance, and it's hard to read this as anything but a gently caress you to the NYT - and given their pompous self-regard, one that stings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I was an elementary school kid when Bush ruined Iraq so lol at “us”, and I’m quite happy to not fund Russia, North Korea, or Iran at present tbh. Add Israel to the Axis and great, best list of enemies this country has had since 1945.