Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the OP tablet? Eyeing the Pixel too. The OP has good discounts + a free keyboard case which is appealing to me.

I'm not in a hurry and can hold off a while. My use-case is that my company owner is filtering all work device traffic now and I may want some personal device to use at the office, larger than a phone. But I'll see if I can live with just my phone first.

bull3964 posted:

OnePlus Pad
Some apps open in portrait when they are the only app running with no way to force them to landscape. This is very frustrating while using the keyboard attachment. Do a google search and the you have a reddit link to click? Reddit app then launches portrait which is sideways when using the keyboard. There's no way around this either. If any web link launches a portrait only app while using the keyboard, you essentially have to take it off the keyboard in order to use it.

The OnePlus Pad still doesn't have the Open's "Open Canvas" multitasking even though it was said to be coming. So you have two different multitasking paradigms you have to adapt to if you are a dual OnePlus Open and OnePlus Pad user.

Dual app shortcuts are broken. If you open up two apps and then tell it to save as a shortcut but you don't have the "Add downloaded apps to home screen" turned on in the launcher settings, the shortcut is nowhere to be found. Even if you turn that open on and reboot, the shortcuts don't show up. However, if you try to add the shortcut again, it tells you it already exists. The only way to fix this is to clear data on the launch and start over again. This has been a long standing bug that again, they haven't shown any interest in patching. It's mind boggling that it even passed testing.

The touchpad gestures sometimes don't behaving like you would want. Try to unlock the device? Sometimes it will work the first time, sometimes you can slide the lockscreen up all the way only for it to snap back down again, requiring you to use the touchscreen to swipe up to get to the pin entry. Same thing happens with the notification shade sometimes. You can't dismiss it with the normal gesture and have to either go back to home or use the touchscreen.

All

Performance, performance, performance. OnePlus is still doing the selective scheduling garbage where they throttle some apps including chrome. If you use the default performance profile on all three devices, Chrome is throttled back to (no joke) near Nexus 7 levels of performance. It's abysmal. Even when you put it in high performance profile, the SD8 Gen 3 in the OnePlus 12 still fails to outscore the Pixel 8 Pro by nearly 20% and is like 30% behind the S24U set in "lite" performance mode. Using chrome beta sidesteps the issue in normal performance profile which means they are doing a simple app whitelist deal on things.

The battery usage control for apps is still a disaster on these devices leading to endless prompts and unclear behavior. On Pixels, apps are allowed background activity but are optimized by default. You can then choose to either restrict their background use completely or let them be unrestricted. On oneplus devices, you have the battery settings "Allow foreground activity" and "Allow Background Activity" with "Allow foreground activity" set to on. But turning off "Allow Foreground activity" actually gives you a warning about delayed notifications which really seems to indicate that it's restricting all background activity if you turn that off. Flipping the allow background activity to on seems to be the same as "unrestricted" on pixel devices. Beyond that though, you have the whole "Auto Optimize" thing with three settings "Always Ask. Don't Optimize. Auto Optimize." Three options here is confusing. If you have it set to "Always Ask" but then dismiss the notifications, you are really saying "Don't Optimize". But when you select "Auto Optimize" what is it doing? Default options don't allow apps to run unrestricted in the background so they are already being optimized. This is basically saying "optimize harder" but that's not really a thing in the android SDK, so you're really just adding a layer that fucks with app behavior. Then this is the best part. If you have an app that you need let run unrestricted in the background and you tell it to "Don't optmize" you still get constant notifications about an app potentially draining your battery. This.poo poo.needs.to.die. Stop pretending you know better than the built in scheduler on how to sleep apps.

Notifications don't behaving properly. Some notifications that group will launch in to the app properly when you don't explicity expand. Gmail is not one of those things. If I have multiple gmail notifications, tapping on the collapsed group only expands the group and I can't launch into gmail unless I go into a specific message. On any other device I own, I can leave the notification collapsed and launch into the app itself, not going into a specific message. The inconsistent behavior here is maddening. At least I can finally swipe from either direction to dismiss notifications now.

Wallpaper based theming is a manual process if you use anther app to set a wallpaper. If you use an app to set the wallpaper, you have to manually go into "Wallpapers and Style" from settings to re-apply the auto color scheme. This is made even more annoying by the fact that you have to explictly go "Settings" -> Wallpaper and Style rather than long pressing on the home screen and selecting it there because the home screen selection is only a shortcut to change the wallpaper, not to go to the whole style. I mean, why would you want a shortcut to affect the whole style of your launcher from the launcher itself like every other device?

There are numerous other things littered about. My main issue is that this didn't used to be a problem. Pre-ColorOS days, things seemed to be a lot more consistent. These are all long standing usability issues since the shift to ColorOS base and they've had plenty of time to fix them but no progress seems to be happening. Again, none of these things are breakers in using the devices. They are generally fast and quite usable devices. I've even been a long standing defender of their cameras (hell I would take the OP12 camera over the S24U right now). It's just really glaring when I have them sitting next to multiple Pixel and Samsung products and I'm here thinking even OneUI feels more polished and less scatterbrained than OxygenOS at this point. I WANT them to be better because they do great hardware at reasonable prices. It's just that I can't shake the feeling that I'm using a $250 OS on an $800-$1300 device and that really sucks the oxygen out of the room (pun intended.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KingKapalone posted:

Where does the 8 usually drop to $549? Strange that the trade-in value for my S21 towards the 8a is $186 but for the 8 it's only $90.

Google store. It was $549 mid April and just recently went back to full price.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had an interesting bug with Android Auto last night. We left a concert around 11:45, and when the clock on Auto hit midnight, it stuck there for the rest of the drive.

Separately, is there a way to share tasks on Google Calendars?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am really tempted to order an 8a. They are offering a trade in for my p6a that is almost the price I originally paid for it.
And I keep getting annoyed at the fact that I just missed out on wireless charging coming to the A series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 8a should be a pretty significant upgrade over the 6a. The G3 is a much better processor (and modem) compared to the G1. You get 120hz instead of 60hz. You get wireless charging. You get newer camera sensors. You get secure face unlock. The screen can get much much brighter.

If you can trade in a 6a for what you paid for it, it should be a no brainer.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I need to not eBay and Drink. :doh:

$360 new in box. Don't have time to play with it at the moment. Word on the Internet is they've been pushing monthly security updates, but will probably only get updated to Android 16.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
That astrophoto mode on my Pixel 7 Pro delivered last night.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hell yeah, gonna try that tonight.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Whoaa. Those shots are gorgeous

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd be remiss not to share the astrophotography thread as well if anyone is looking for more pictures!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
IO starts in an hourish. Link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/live/XEzRZ35urlk?si=feTit5ie2dM2VQyz

Something something AI

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vagrancy posted:

IO starts in an hourish. Link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/live/XEzRZ35urlk?si=feTit5ie2dM2VQyz

Something something AI

is there a thread to live-shitpost about this?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

is there a thread to live-shitpost about this?

For the past couple of years this thread has essentially become the official place for that, since everywhere else has become too cynical about Goog even go through the motions of watching the stream to shitpost (even in YOSPOS).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think we all just want "the next big thing" that's going to change things in some fundamental way.

I mean, Apple just announced iPads with chips faster than their top of the line macbooks last week. I think we've passed the ability to run procreate smoothly awhile ago. Everything else has just been overkill.

Mobile computing peaked in like 2019 and it's all just pissing around now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 14, 2024

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TBH, I'm glad I no longer "care" about phone news. Just gimme every other Pixel and let me waste my time on some other stupid thing

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Getting actual artists to show off their generative tools is some villain poo poo.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

CRAYON posted:

Getting actual artists to show off their generative tools is some villain poo poo.

U mad? They are still just tools at the end of the day, it's not like AI knows what sounds good to the human ear. People probably freaked out about the synth in a similar way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's good to get the artists involved so they can inform the conversation about when and how it is appropriate to use these tools.

Generative AI is the latest buzzword, but automated tools have been used to make edits and automate manual work for awhile now. For example, key frame automation has been used in animation for a long time now.

The key pieces are to ensure the training data is sourced ethically and that the tools are used as part of a workflow to create something new rather than regurgitate a remix.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
android time

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this AI poo poo is so loving stupid and pointless and i loving hate it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Right now, I would equate it with WAP Browsers. At the time, they were mostly useless and limited capability, but they were important stepping stones to get to what is next.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Right now, I would equate it with WAP Browsers. At the time, they were mostly useless and limited capability, but they were important stepping stones to get to what is next.

i hope you're right because every instance of "AI" right now makes me want to stab my phone and computer and the entire internet with a dull rusty rail spike

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

For example, key frame automation has been used in animation for a long time now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_(1973_film)

https://www.nfb.ca/film/hunger/

https://www.nfb.ca/film/metadata_en/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
no android 15 beta 2/final feature announcements until tomorrow

not ai enough for today.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

jesus loving christ, an hour and a half in and they're still talking about gemini 1.5 pro flash advance or loving whatever?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it's a developer conference and this is what's seeing the most development work in the entire industry right now.

Expect WWDC to be much the same with Apple using pseudonyms for "AI" so as not to dirty themselves.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sure, but it would be nice to see them talk about any of their other platforms as well. Are ChromeOS, Android, etc. getting any mentions other than "now includes Gemini"?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It’s over finally lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Branch Nvidian posted:

Sure, but it would be nice to see them talk about any of their other platforms as well. Are ChromeOS, Android, etc. getting any mentions other than "now includes Gemini"?

It's a multi day conference and this is just the keynote.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

This years strategy seems to be "Look just watch The Verge's pre-recorded Android 15/Android XR videos that they'll shadow drop tomorrow ok"

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's a developer conference and this is what's seeing the most development work in the entire industry right now.

Expect WWDC to be much the same with Apple using pseudonyms for "AI" so as not to dirty themselves.

The "IO is a developer conference so the main keynote's content being dull to consumers is natural/fine" became less convincing when they switched to the WWDC main + developer keynote split format and fell apart when they had the pre-release Pixel hardware bonanza two years ago. It's Google's State of the Union press release for the year, some of which just happens to be of relevance to devs. Even though they're jumping on the same Silicon Valley Gen AI hype train, Apple's base framing of "Here's the OS which will run on your Apple Devices a couple of months from now" is an inherently interesting story to early adopters/power users because the OS is essentially the product itself (which is part of the reason why it gets orders of magnitude more viewing numbers).

I think a major cause in the difference in style is the target audience: IO keynotes now first and foremost seem to primarily target investors and answering their doubts(How well are you positioned against OpenAI????), with developers and users trailing 2nd and 3rd place as concerns. WWDC main keynotes do a much better job of appealing to all three demographics. Even though it was "successful" (GOOG up before market close), not sure sacrificing the later is the way to go long term.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I/O can't be the same as the main WWDC keynote though because Google's business is broader. The Apple keynote is for investors too, it's just the investor expectations between the two companies are different.

Do you think the Vision Pro announcement in 2023 was for developers when, a year later, we still don't really have much of anything compelling being made for the hardware? It was made to show investors that they have a new $3500 product category that will hopefully shore up the hardware business. Ditto for the 15" MacBook Air. Apple needed to plug that hole for investors since they were losing customers in-between the smaller Air and the larger much more expensive MacBook.

Android is not Google's only product, it's not even their main product. It's not like Apple spent a ton of time on iOS 17 last year either, most of the keynote was hardware announcements which is especially weird for a developer conference since most of that hardware wasn't enabling new software experiences (outside of the Vision Pro.)

Mobile operating systems are pretty mature at this point and unless Google wanted to switch their phone releases to be much earlier in the year, it doesn't make sense for them to regularly show off hardware here either since it's going to be half a year before you can buy it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

my entire life right now is pretending its awesome and i loving hate it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My review of the brand new $360 Motorola Thinkphone I bought on a whim. It kinda owns for the price, I say kinda because there's a couple glaring caveats. From worst to best:

Terrible: Motorola is still vehemently against Always-On Displays, even for their OLED equipped phones. Pretty inexcusable not just in 2024, but in 2023, 2022...etc. Instead Motorola relies on the old-fashioned method of having to lift the phone or tap the display to get it to wake up if you missed the screen waking up when a notification comes in. I am so used to glancing at my Pixel and seeing if a new notification has appeared while it sits on its stand that this kind of behavior just feels archaic. If you don't care for AOD, or turn it off on your phones, maybe that's not an issue, but to me it seems to be a requirement on phones these days. I don't think the phone uses a fancy LTPO OLED that can throttle down the refresh rate super far, maybe that's part of the reason Motorola is so against AOD, maybe it would cripple the things standby time. Still, to not even provide the option. Not even when plugged in or on a wireless charger, is just so mind boggling from Motorola that it almost feels like an intentional dick move.

Not Great, Not Terrible: This phone originally listed for $700 when it went on sale in the US and at that price, the camera performance was a joke. Pick any A-series Pixel and it will smoke this thing when it comes to imaging. Under 400 dollars though, the performance is a lot more bearable. Dynamic range lacking; you won't get magical detail from shadows. But from the few photos I took, they're not gross. There's a night mode which greatly enhances low light shots (still no match for the best), and daytime shots are perfectly fine. Nothing will wow you about the cameras. I notices a weird battery drain issue with the default factory moto clock widget. Stuck another clock on the homescreen, solved that issue. Motorola says the thing will only get updated to Android 16, with a total of 4 years of security updates. They at least seem to be rolling out monthly for now. Mine is on the May security patch, my OnePlus 11 meanwhile just got the April update.
The display is perfectly fine in use and can boost its refresh rate up to 120hz, or even 144hz manually, but then its stuck at 144hz. It doesn't get quite as bright as the current crop of top smartphones, but I was able to read the display outside on a sunny day. The P8Pro display is clearly superior.

Nice: The Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen1 is still a great SoC. The speed and efficiency is probably on par or better than the Tensor G3. Wifi seems particularly good; it holds onto my works spotty access points really well which I have noticed. Battery life seems to be a tiny bit better than my P8Pro, but it's maybe an extra 5% at the end of the day, maybe 10% tops? Both phones get me through a whole day without issue. After a 12 hour day with 3 hours of screen-on time, it was sitting right at 70%, which is pretty good.
The OS very much reminds me of my pixel with a few Moto extras thrown in. I missed the chopping motion for the flashlight and the Twist-to-Camera. These are fantastic little touches. There's built in Dolby software for sound tuning, but I actually prefer Wavelet anyways. ACTION BUTTON(!) is programmable for either single or double press, I have it set to open a weather app I use a dozen times a day. Phone came with a 68watt charger and hard plastic shell which I don't think will do anything for drops, but should keep the back from getting marred.
Because the cameras are lame, the rear module doesn't stick out very far. The phone itself is a nice size. It kind splits the difference between the P8 and P8Pro, but is definitely closer to the Pro than the smaller 8's. I don't have a case so the thing feels absolutely small in my pocket compared to my up-armored P8Pro. The optical fingerprint sensor is good! Real Good. It's placed oddly low on the display but so far it's been surprisingly fast and reliable. Google should use this sensor.

Great: Phone feels amazingly well constructed. Not just for a 400 dollar phone, not even at 700, it feels more solid and premium than even my Pixel 8P. I didn't even bother to put a case on it because I love the way it feels in my hand. Black satin aluminum frame with tiny chamfers with a flat side and top profile, but not excessively thick as to feel like holding a brick. The flat frame is not uniform either, the sides slim down a bit compared to the top and bottom, which I think help it feel better in hand than say, my old iphone 12. I actually got the phone to stand straight up on a flat surface, though I don't recommend this. The aramid fiber rear panel is surprisingly soft touch and even has a bit of grip to it, more than my P8Pro anyways.
Pixel's since the 6 have been constructed in a way that makes them more easily repairable, but has led to some people feeling like the phones feel more "hollow", like there's dead space under the display and rear panel that can impart a sense of cheapness. It actually bothered me when I got my P7Pro, then I just kind of forgot about it. Now I notice it again on my 8 thanks to how absolutely solid this thing feels. I'm not going try to JerryRigEverything bendgate the thing or chuck it at a wall, but I feel like the wall would sustain damage. The tolerances between display, frame, and rear panel are super tight. I honestly don't think you'd find a more well put together device without spending at least double for what this phone can be found for.

Would I recommend: Probably not to be honest unless a few niche conditions are met. Lack of AOD is the most apparent deficit, a huge glaring fault imo. Software support probably limits the lifespan of the device. Something like the P8a will probably see a sale eventually knock a few bucks off its 500 dollar price and give you a superior camera and many years of support. The Moto will absolutely impress with its build, speed, and battery life though. So if you're a rare bird that doesn't care about AOD or top tier camera performance, the thing could make someone very happy for a couple years. A more direct comparison might be the $399 Samsung A35, a perfectly fine phone but an interesting comparison. The build and Snapdragon of the Motorola are leagues better than Samsungs budget line. In that regard, the ThinkPhone could be a value flagship of yesteryear if you can live with its faults.

Thinkphone vs Pixel 8 Pro max display brightness (manually set)

Anyways, this was way too many words about a phone that 14 people actually bought, but I guess that's the beauty of the Android landscape and being a huge nerd.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 15, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I spent last week in New York City and took loads of photos and videos. Videos seem to get really badly compressed when sent to friends and family over WhatsApp (and Signal, come to think of it). Instructions on how to stop that seems defunct on the most recent WhatsApp releases.

Am I best just sending links to the videos from Google Photos instead?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh.

First time using it...DeX kinda slaps?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My phone (a Pixel 5a 5G) died in my hand. Froze up while playing a video, although the audio continued for a few more seconds, then the screen turned off. Not responding to fingerprint sensor, power button, or even plugging in to charge (battery was above 80% when it happened).

I stopped by a repair place and they believe it would have to be sent in, confirmed as unrepairable, and sent back.

Problem with that is that I'm in :canada: and Monday's a holiday here. Also the authorized repair stores are nowhere near where I work or live. Guess I better get phone hunting, fast!

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 16, 2024

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

Huh.

First time using it...DeX kinda slaps?

I've used DeX on my tablet a bunch of times, it's the one thing I wish vanilla Android had.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Every year:

"We don't see why Sony feels the need to put a 4k display in their flagship device."

This, however, was not an invite to overcorrect and put a 1080p screen in your $1600 device.

They are also pulling out of the US market.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Every year:

"We don't see why Sony feels the need to put a 4k display in their flagship device."

This, however, was not an invite to overcorrect and put a 1080p screen in your $1600 device.

They are also pulling out of the US market.

Sony making bad marketing decisions and then pulling from a market because people didn’t buy their poorly marketed devices is extremely on brand for Sony. Sucks because I genuinely do like their hardware design aesthetic and the very light skinning they do to base Android, but they have no one to blame for their failing mobile division but themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Sony Ericsson spent approx 75% of their US marketing budget in commercials (like the one that seems to have disappeared into the abyss where they sing Close To You) to be aired exclusively in theaters around 20 years ago. To say that their marketing has been poor since is quite the understatement.

I love the Xperia 1 V and I hope it lasts me a while. The fact they managed to get even better battery life (about 5 hrs more active use if GSM Arena is to be believed) in the 1 VI is impressive. Coming off my 5-year-old Pixel 3, the X1V lasts me about 4 days between charges, so I'd probably get over 5 with the new phone. You know, if it was available in the US.

I think, marketing aside, Sony has had a hell of a time with US carriers. They've had a spat with T-Mobile for several years and I think it has been close to a decade since any US carrier offered Sony phones. I can't blame them for not wanting to screw with it anymore, especially when the mobile division has seen only losses for several years. Still gonna pour one out for them, though, because lack of competition is bad for all of us.