Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Next doors cat decided to come in. Here they are post kick out as another pet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
is that outdoor carpet? and the cat's face is all hosed up

something weird going on here

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Upscaling and interpolating.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

That is some seriously poor surface coat tarmacadam

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The service patch is nice. I wonder if 99s patch for his bt connection looks that good

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

They will surface it once it is adopted allegedly. Dog did not appreciate a cat coming in.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's not a cat, that's early AI art trying to draw a raccoon.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People who run or partake in running-adjacent activities: how do you stop your calf muscles from instantly tightening? I've tried to take up jogging several times over the years but sometimes before reaching the end of the road I'm hobbling along in agony. I have had plantar fasciitis a few times and I've got arthritis in one toe, so I'm prepared to accept that gait/posture is the problem, but this can't be insummountable.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Brisk walking, followed by building up to 30s jogging then back to walking, slowly move up to jogging for longer intervals with rest periods in-between, increase the jogging times as your body allows. Don't push yourself too far too fast. If its something you haven't done for a long time you need to build your muscles up to be able to cope

E. Also if space allows, get a skipping rope for home and do some skipping to build the muscle in your calves

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 14, 2024

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Are you stretching before you run

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

People who run or partake in running-adjacent activities: how do you stop your calf muscles from instantly tightening? I've tried to take up jogging several times over the years but sometimes before reaching the end of the road I'm hobbling along in agony. I have had plantar fasciitis a few times and I've got arthritis in one toe, so I'm prepared to accept that gait/posture is the problem, but this can't be insummountable.

Do you have actual running shoes that aren't ancient?

You might be running way too fast or too much distance to start off with (usually it's the former).

If it's becoming full-on cramps you might be lacking magnesium or other electrolytes, or be dehydrated.

If you want to set yourself up for success I recommend following C25K (use an app), getting some shoes from a running or sports store that will help you find something that works for you, running slower than you imagine is possible at first, and drinking plenty of water and eating something salty like an hour before running.

Don't bother stretching before you run.

Also check out The Running Thread in YLLS for more opinions than you could ever want

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Lady Demelza posted:

c25k is a good way to ease yourself into it but I also have this problem with my calves and I can never seem to make them not cramp up anytime I jog/run. I've tried every type of stretching and all that jazz but nothing really works fully, like it'll ease it more than before but the cramping will still come!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Stretching is pretty useless for me too, but a good five or ten minute warmup walk before you start jogging/running can do wonders to get stuff activated and avoid cramping

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

England (Manchester) is nice.

Pretty funny that even if it's half as cheap as Iceland it felt expensive because I spent a couple days in rural Wales beforehand so it was twice as expensive as the Welsh standard which made the beer feel expensive even if it was 10+ year old prices by Reykjavik standards.

Great food (Indian and also Nandos.). Amazing pubs. Fantastic historical buildings and museums.

Culture shocks:
-Phonebooths still exist?
-There's a lot more abject poverty and homelessness than any other place in Europe I've been. Which is a huge bummer and probably somehow Thatcher's fault.
-Your 'bacon' is weird ham.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

most uk bacon is a pink balloon full of salty water

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

This actually sounds like you are using your calf muscles too much rather than thigh. Try opening up your legs more. This actually may feel harder if you have been used to calf running/walking. It took a couple of months for my partner to retrain her body to not calf walk/run. It's worth it though she said. I also highly recommend swapping to zero drop running shoes if finnance allows. And the brand is Altra Lone peak. You may need special insoles if you have arch problems.

Please stretch before and after and don't bounce the stretch. Hold it for 10-15

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

most uk bacon is a pink balloon full of salty water

turn on your monitor op!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm so buy shoes, eat crisps, don't stretch, then do a comedy slow-mo run for 30 seconds.

This is the kind of exercise regime I could cope with.

Also yes I could get a skipping rope.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also if your calves are tightening that severely so early on in the run it means you've likely got a really tight posterior chain (almost certainly the biggest contributor to your bouts of plantar fasciitis too). Stretching before you set off might help a bit, but what you really want is a regime of stretching you do every day to loosen everything up, improve function, move better. A good pair of trainers with a nice raised heel will do wonders too. If you PM me I'd be happy to email you over a relatively straightforward stretching regime that'll help a lot if you persevere with it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bardeh posted:

you've likely got a really tight posterior... <snip> ...PM me

hmm

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
any and all tight posteriors welcome to PM me

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Static stretching before an activity has generally been seen as a bad thing for decades now and can increase injuries not help them

You need active stretching and a warm up (brisk) walk or gentle jog

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Static stretching before an activity has generally been seen as a bad thing for decades now and can increase injuries not help them

You need active stretching and a warm up (brisk) walk or gentle jog

Static stetching isn't bad at all. Active stretching is just better. You'd still static stretch over no stretching and you still static stretch at the end.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Without static stretching there would be no goatse. That is not a world I'm prepared to live in.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Culture shocks:
-Phonebooths still exist?
-There's a lot more abject poverty and homelessness than any other place in Europe I've been. Which is a huge bummer and probably somehow Thatcher's fault.
-Your 'bacon' is weird ham.

The homelessness and poverty in LA is probably 100 times worse than Manchester

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

fridge corn posted:

The homelessness and poverty in LA is probably 100 times worse than Manchester

It's not really a great dick measuring contest either way... It would be nice if it wasn't a problem at all.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I hate running and running hates me.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Mods please change my name to running

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Sometimes I go for a run and I enjoy them.

I enjoy the runs

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Watching itv news and...wtf is a ninja sword? Surely they used daggers?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, if they existed at all they used farming tools.

Fictional ones often use a ninjato, because they look cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I do calf raises on stairs before I go for a run which stopped mine hurting early in a run as well as doing the 5 minute walk c25k recommends

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I found cycling to be a lot more enjoyable than Jogging and it annoys the boomers

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

It's not a boomer thing to hate bicyclelists. When you ride three abreast down a national speed limit road and back up traffic, you are a bunch of lycra wearing cunts. Pay some road tax like the rest of us and by all means you can be an entitled shitfuck

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Nothing against you personally, I'm sure you're also a oval office but one of the good kind

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

road tax hasn't existed since 1937

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Salisbury Snape posted:

It's not a boomer thing to hate bicyclelists. When you ride three abreast down a national speed limit road and back up traffic, you are a bunch of lycra wearing cunts. Pay some road tax like the rest of us and by all means you can be an entitled shitfuck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Salisbury Snape posted:

They are entitled to do this as dictated by the highway code and also they don't have to pay VED because bicycles don't emit any carbon emissions hth

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

i stopped cycling and switched to running mainly cos i got sick of having to clean and maintain a bicycle, but a nice side effect is that i no longer have to worry about some puce-faced dickhead in a transit van wiping me out while screaming about "road tax" just because i've added 10 seconds to his journey, knowing that my death would be avenged at best by a 6 month ban and a £350 fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

surely riding side by side makes it easier to overtake, if you're doing so safely you need to move at least partially into the oncoming lane anyway and it reduces the length of the bikes as a group and thus time needed to overtake