Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Hughlander posted:

I thought they only filmed the part with the teenagers since they weren't going to be teenagers 10 years later... And even then you don't see Ted/Bob Saget with them.

Yea it was just the kids, so they had the poo poo rear end ending from the beginning. Also ted and robin are put in lovely age makeup for their scene. Barney, marshal and lilly all get almost nothing to wrap their stuff up either.

Edit: loving lovely snipe, have a weird and kinda gross one I found.

AITA my husband doesn't want to make his own coffee in the morning

quote:

My husband wakes up for work at 6:15 am and has to leave the house at 6:40 am to make it to work for 7. He goes outside as soon as he wakes up for a smoke and to drink a cup of coffee. He then goes to work and drinks several cups of coffee at work throught the day. I stay home with our toddler and take her with me to house/cottage cleaning jobs a couple times per week.

The issue is my husband wants me to leave him a cup of coffee in the pot from the previous day so he can microwave it and go outside for his smoke before work. He doesn't have time nor does he want to make a pot of coffee and wait for it to brew before he goes for his smoke. Once he leave I make myself some coffee and drink 2-3 cups throught the morning. I sit and have one then drink one while I take my son to the bus and maybe another one depending on my mood/time. So that doesn't always leave him I cup of coffee for the next day and honestly when I'm grabbing my 3rd cup I'm not thinking about if this will inconvenience my husband the next morning or not. If I want the coffee I grab it, if not I leave it. Doesn't take much thought process.

He thinks I should not drink the coffee if there's only 1 cup left or I should make more coffee and immediately shut the coffee maker off so there's coffee for him the next morning.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for drinking coffee when I want it and not thinking of him the next morning or should he just make himself some coffee 8n the morning.

P.s. I have suggested he drink instant coffee if there isn't any left in the pot but he said it's too much time to get the kettle out and boil the water for it.

I don't like coffee myself, but microwaving day old coffee sounds gross as hell.

Elblanco fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for calling my colleague a diversity hire after she called me a nepo baby?

OP in no way should be managing anyone, and Shauna is really loving stupid for saying what she did if that's what she thought. Both of them need to be in front of HR and smacked down hard.

That was a really dumb thing for him to say and could even be argued by HR as being potentially a verbal attack at a protected characteristic (especially if she belongs to a minority group).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Elblanco posted:

I don't like coffee myself, but microwaving day old coffee sounds gross as hell.

microwaved coffee the same day is gross as hell imo. it does something to the flavour, i find.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Elblanco posted:

Yea it was just the kids, so they had the poo poo rear end ending from the beginning. Also ted and robin are put in lovely age makeup for their scene. Barney, marshal and lilly all get almost nothing to wrap their stuff up either.

I haven't even thought about this in ages but I used to do this all the time. I'd load it up with milk and sugar so I wasn't really tasting anything else. I feel like it was a pretty common practice before we all started caring about coffee. Maybe it still is.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Can't they just get a coffee maker with a timer

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Or even get a fuckin Keurig or Nespresso. Takes literally seconds.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

artsy fartsy posted:

Can't they just get a coffee maker with a timer

Comes out in comments that they already have one. Husband just doesn't plan to fill it up himself.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Quackles posted:

Tired: Band of Brothers
Wired: Brand of Bothers

ITT: Banned of Brothers

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
AITA for not helping a child stuck in a swing?

quote:

I (25F) took my son (2) to a playground at a local park today. We were the only ones there for about 20 minutes before this family of 3 kids (2 girls and one boy) and an adult pull up. I don't think she was their parent, as the kids kept calling her by her first name (We'll just call her Katie for this story). The boy had to be between 10-12 and was a relatively heavyset kid.

They were all playing and running around but repeatedly kept nearly trampling my 2 year old. They were clearly ignoring him, which is fine because not all kids have to play with eachother, but they didn't even acknowledge his space & attempt to avoid running over him. Katie decided she wanted a picture of all of them on the swings. The boy ran to one of the age-appropriate swings for him and Katie tole him to get in the infant swing because "it would be funny". They all help place him in the swing & laugh as they take their pictures. When he was ready to get out of the swing, Katie attempted to pull him out to no success.

Surprise. He's stuck. Who could have /possibly/ predicted this outcome?

So they all slowly start to panic as they realize he is indeed stuck and they cannot get him out. I had about enough of this at this point, with how rude these kids and Katie were and I had no desire to offer my help. I started packing up our things and took my son to the car. As we're leaving, I hear one of them ask "Can you help us?" I turn to look at them & all of them are just staring at me with this entitled look, it didn't even look like concern. In response, I kept walking & didn't say a word. They continued to shout, asking for my help as I loaded my son in the car. I heard them calling 911 as I got in my car.

It was a completely avoidable issue and a very stupid decision, made by the adult in that situation. And none of them could give us the decency to respect my much younger child's space. So I feel like Katie has to take responsibility.

So AITA?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Morning coffee guy needs to stock up on a few cans of Mr Brown.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

ITT: Banned of Brothers

WE WERE ON A SIXER

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

PizzaProwler posted:

I'm not sure what the men could have done that they weren't already doing. They probably needed someone to cut through a chain of another part of the swing to get the kid out. A park swing isn't a thing that can be brute forced I wouldn't think

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comes out in comments that they already have one. Husband just doesn't plan to fill it up himself.

:sever:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're easy to differentiate:
Everyone talks a lot and there's humour: Golden Girls
Everyone talks literally literally all the time non-stop and there's no humour Gilmore Girls

Everyone fights each other all the time: River City Girls

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chewbecca posted:

I worded poorly. It makes logical sense I guess from a narrative perspective, but in terms of a show's ending it was an unpleasant ending for an unpleasant and narcissistic person. I get it but I didn't enjoy watching a main character be extra lovely and not deliver on any of the earlier promise they displayed. .

ehhh the show was originally intended to end that way and if you watch it with that in mind it’s a much, much better experience. in the later seasons Amy Sherman-Palladino wasn’t writing it anymore and Rory turned into an ultra Mary Sue. I mean…you want to talk about an illogical ending, please recall that the original show ended with the entire town giving Rory an enormous going away party and talking about how great and perfect she is, and she’s going to be a political reporter on Obama’s campaign trail and Change the World~~~~

it’s like a completely different show to the first several seasons where she dates a couple of delinquents, struggles socially and has actual conflicts, however minor. the broad strokes of the ending of the reunion miniseries jibes well with the earlier show, and the sheer acerbity of it is pretty understandable as ASP returned to write it and the show runners that took over in her absence obviously missed the point in a huge way. like rory spent much of the last season running around with a billionaire trust fund kid adventure club, an authorial clapback was kind of deserved imo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

PizzaProwler posted:

I turn to look at them & all of them are just staring at me with this entitled look, it didn't even look like concern. In response, I kept walking & didn't say a word. They continued to shout, asking for my help as I loaded my son in the car. I heard them calling 911 as I got in my car.

lol

code:
if (kid is losing circulation)
   yta = TRUE;
else
   yta = KINDA;

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

ehhh the show was originally intended to end that way and if you watch it with that in mind it’s a much, much better experience. in the later seasons Amy Sherman-Palladino wasn’t writing it anymore and Rory turned into an ultra Mary Sue. I mean…you want to talk about an illogical ending, please recall that the original show ended with the entire town giving Rory an enormous going away party and talking about how great and perfect she is, and she’s going to be a political reporter on Obama’s campaign trail and Change the World~~~~

it’s like a completely different show to the first several seasons where she dates a couple of delinquents, struggles socially and has actual conflicts, however minor. the broad strokes of the ending of the reunion miniseries jibes well with the earlier show, and the sheer acerbity of it is pretty understandable as ASP returned to write it and the show runners that took over in her absence obviously missed the point in a huge way. like rory spent much of the last season running around with a billionaire trust fund kid adventure club, an authorial clapback was kind of deserved imo

Mods???

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Feels like a similar trajectory of the show Glee.

In the first season, all of the characters were incredible fuckup losers and it owned. But then all of the sudden they become the personification of Tumblr and omg they're so perfect and amazing and everyone loves them and :barf:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I had been intending to rewatch How I Met Your Mother because I trailed off after season 3 or 4 or something, so initially I was pretty annoyed that it just got spoiled in this thread, but then reading through the posts I think they were actually a public service alerting me to not waste my time rewatching out of some sense of needing to complete the series.

Also who the gently caress hasn't watched Ban(ne)d of Brothers, your probes are more than deserved.

gently caress it's been maybe a decade, I should watch it again.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

I'm not sure what the men could have done that they weren't already doing. They probably needed someone to cut through a chain of another part of the swing to get the kid out. A park swing isn't a thing that can be brute forced I wouldn't think

Needed someone to bring the butter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The implication of a spoiler is that it would have been good, but it has been spoiled whereas HIMYM was pretty fuckin' bad for a pretty fuckin' long time. Much like the final couple seasons of GOT lurching forward due to sheer inertia despite 100% of the audience and cast being upset about how bad it was

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never thought I’d have to worry about spoilers for a show that ended ten years ago in this thread but I guess use the black bars?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Halloween Jack posted:

I am a little surprised at the number of anecdotes I've heard where someone is like "I have an idea. You should make a website that's like Facebook but better. We split the profits 50/50 because it was my idea."

A lot of people just don't get that "an idea" is worthless. I've seen this a lot in gaming circles, where someone talks about contacting a game developer to sell them an idea for a game, which is just a one-page description of what a game would be like. Anyone actually designing a game has had dozens or hundreds of vague game ideas before, they don't need to pay some rando on the internet for them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never thought I’d have to worry about spoilers for a show that ended ten years ago in this thread but I guess use the black bars?

Uh buddy, they stopped segregating bars like 60 years ago...

VVVV you SON of a BITCH, I still had an episode to watch! :mad:

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 14, 2024

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Germans lose WW2 at the end of Band of Brothers

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Elblanco posted:

I do this for my partner; we use whole beans & do some variation of pourover/french press/moka pot so it takes an extra bit of time out of the morning to make it, and she's perfectly happy to pull leftover coffee out of the fridge and start the day with iced coffee. If you have the time to make coffee and it helps your SO out, and they aren't picky about wanting it fresh and hot etc then like, just make the drat coffee. It's such an easy thing.

I make it even easier & measured out a cheapo bag of french roast so I can just make a big batch of cold brew in our giant french press and stick it in a flip-top bottle in the fridge, problem solved.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

ehhh the show was originally intended to end that way and :words:

It's interesting to know about the changes in writers and how that impacted the narrative arc, I didn't know any of that. I was just stuck watching it because of a BB teenager in the house. I definitely didn't like how Rory was valorised in the show like she was so special and so amazing, all felt very obnoxious.

That town was pretty though, if I ever came back to America I'd want to see it in person, assuming it exists

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

deported to Canada posted:

Band of Brothers is amazing and you should all hang your heads in shame.

I'd say use these 6 hours to get a head start on the series, no excuses.

eta: "We salute the rank and not the man" is such an awesome scene.

The only problem with it is that the guy Schwimmer played was right all along and Winters was just being a dick to a guy that got screwed over.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I love Gilmore Girls and watch it every year but the rich school kids she gets in with are infuriating. Logan isn't too horrible, but all his friends should die. Like when she goes to that secret society campout and they're all being condescending dorks, I want to force everyone there get a job in retail for a year and then swirlie them to death.

I really really love when Jess pops back up in a later season and is like Rory wtf is wrong with you. And it doesn't hurt that's he's fine as fuuuuuck

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I have never seen Gilmore Girls or How I Met Your Mother and plan to never do so. Is that worth a sixer? I have the dvd set of Band of Brothers though so that probably evens the scales.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

A lot of people just don't get that "an idea" is worthless. I've seen this a lot in gaming circles, where someone talks about contacting a game developer to sell them an idea for a game, which is just a one-page description of what a game would be like. Anyone actually designing a game has had dozens or hundreds of vague game ideas before, they don't need to pay some rando on the internet for them.
All the actual creative people I know have notebooks and filing cabinets full of their ideas, 98% of which never progress past the notebook doodle stage. Coming up with ideas is the easy, fun part of being an artist. Actually taking that half-formed idea and turning it into something presentable and interesting (or at least salable) is incredibly hard. Plus, you never know at the start which ideas will actually pan out and which are dumb or unworkable, so you spend a lot of time working on things that turn out to be dead ends.

Ideas are cheap. Turning that idea into an actual thing takes enormous amounts of time and effort and training and mental focus. LOL forever at people who think that "I came up with an idea, you do the work, and we'll split the profits 50/50" is any kind of fair.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

sullat posted:

The only problem with it is that the guy Schwimmer played was right all along and Winters was just being a dick to a guy that got screwed over.

Where do you get this from buddy? As the senior officer, Winters was saluted by the soldier walking along with Sobel, who returns the salute as Sobel turns his head away. That's a 'not cool' thing to do in the military.

AITA for not saluting my senior officer when he saluted me first??

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

I love Gilmore Girls and watch it every year but the rich school kids she gets in with are infuriating. Logan isn't too horrible, but all his friends should die. Like when she goes to that secret society campout and they're all being condescending dorks, I want to force everyone there get a job in retail for a year and then swirlie them to death.

I really really love when Jess pops back up in a later season and is like Rory wtf is wrong with you. And it doesn't hurt that's he's fine as fuuuuuck

I wish Lane has a better ending in Gilmore Girls

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

deported to Canada posted:

Where do you get this from buddy? As the senior officer, Winters was saluted by the soldier walking along with Sobel, who returns the salute as Sobel turns his head away. That's a 'not cool' thing to do in the military.

AITA for not saluting my senior officer when he saluted me first??

IIRC the real Sobel was passed over for promotion for being Jewish

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Chewbecca posted:

I wish Lane has a better ending in Gilmore Girls

Oh yeah, they did her dirty.

Plagued her whole life by her crazy religious mother, only to end up getting knocked up in a huge way after sex so bad it turned her off the idea completely. Which then leads to her not getting to go on tour.

God, it's like the writers hated Lane, even after writing her to be so frickin cool. Ugh!!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

sullat posted:

IIRC the real Sobel was passed over for promotion for being Jewish

Ah I see, ESH.

IIRC there were some inconsistencies with the series from the books/reality. A big one if I remember right was that Blithe did get shot in the neck while point man on a patrol, but didn't die c.1948 like it said in the series, but recovered and went on to be a badass in Korea. I remember seeing a documentary where Winters talked about it.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 14, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Oh yeah, they did her dirty.

Plagued her whole life by her crazy religious mother, only to end up getting knocked up in a huge way after sex so bad it turned her off the idea completely. Which then leads to her not getting to go on tour.

God, it's like the writers hated Lane, even after writing her to be so frickin cool. Ugh!!

I would have liked to have seen her have all the successes that Rory didn't achieve, amazing career, world travel, they made her *sad* and I hated it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I found Gilmore Girls to be borderline insufferable just because I can't stand watching shows that are basically "rich people problems"

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

meant to edit.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Man, this was an unpleasant read. Honestly it sounds like Charlotte/Kelly has been through hell, has behavioral issues from that, and the adults in her life are handling it super poorly. The second OP has absolutely resented her from the start, and is thus inclined to frame everything as her being a terrible person, but the first OP also sounds like he handled things poorly because while it's admirable he was determined to get his niece out of a bad situation, it sounds like he tried to do it by just kind of slipping her into the family without caring what his wife thought, and Charlotelly's understandable behavioral issues and need for extra attention turned his daughter into a glass child who feels like her dad just looks right through her. I trust OP 2's recounting of things less because she's really eager to paint a kid really poorly, but even with that in mind she never wanted to be a parental figure to this kid and the fact she felt cornered into that position has just made everything a lot worse.

I dunno, OP 1 is clearly trying his best. lovely situation for the wife for sure but I think they are working through it as best as they can. Agreed on the second OP tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Phoebe actually sticking with a relationship with a recurring guest star instead of ending up with Joey to tie the cast up neatly was probably the swerve if anything.

Joey honestly got the rawest end of the deal all things considered. All his friends got married, he got progressively dumber as the series went on, and then he got the worst fate of being stuck in a spin-off afterwards (that apparently wasn't overy good, I never watched it).

He also got to costar on a sitcom with Tamsin Greig and the voice of Postman Pat. Which is nice.

Ross gpt to clown around with the bloke from Taskmaster/Ted Lasso and direct a Simon Pegg movie. Which is also nice.

Why do I know so much about the ftiends actors post friends careers?