Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

After years of being a curmudgeon ("no electronic shifting!" "rim brakes are fine!" he yelled at the sky) I finally went all-in on modern everything:

It rules. Don't be like me kids; embrace that new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

After years of being a curmudgeon ("no electronic shifting!" "rim brakes are fine!" he yelled at the sky) I finally went all-in on modern everything:

Its so... clean. No wires or cables or nothin'

I love that 1x drivetrains are making their way to road bikes. I hate tuning FDs and then trying to explain how to use them to inexperienced riders.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

amenenema posted:

hot bike poo poo right here

whats the max tire that can take?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

hot bike poo poo right here

whats the max tire that can take?

Thanks! Max listed is a 45 but I've got 48s on it now. If I rode in mud it might be a problem but in the dry there's enough room that I'm not worried. The closest spot is the seat stay and there's ~7mm of clearance on either side.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
It's blue, it's fast, and it's in the woods. Good times.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i got this frame in 2013 or so as a winter commuter for high but flat denver and ended up using it for that exceptionally rarely. pictures of that build are on the old thread!

now i'm in the land of Always Fall and VERY hilly, so no more studded tires. i liked the 1x11 rival on my other commuter so much that I spent five hours today converting this from a 2x10 with an 11-28 cassette to a 1x10 with a 42T front cog and 11-36 cassette. still need to fiddle with the barrel adjuster, but oh man i love not having to dick around with a front derailleur when I need to get in the granny gear asap. I also swapped the stem from a Thomson X2 to a X4. my last ride in denver on this thing with deong and XIII almost ended in my death when the front plate of the old stem snapped for no apparent reason. new stem is also 100mm instead of 110mm because I'm a decade older now.

i had to keep the gold chain, because it is such a good bit.

note the tape on the garage door from where someone tried to drill into my garage last night. nobody loves me more than bike thieves.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

i got this frame in 2013 or so as a winter commuter for high but flat denver and ended up using it for that exceptionally rarely. pictures of that build are on the old thread!

now i'm in the land of Always Fall and VERY hilly, so no more studded tires. i liked the 1x11 rival on my other commuter so much that I spent five hours today converting this from a 2x10 with an 11-28 cassette to a 1x10 with a 42T front cog and 11-36 cassette. still need to fiddle with the barrel adjuster, but oh man i love not having to dick around with a front derailleur when I need to get in the granny gear asap. I also swapped the stem from a Thomson X2 to a X4. my last ride in denver on this thing with deong and XIII almost ended in my death when the front plate of the old stem snapped for no apparent reason. new stem is also 100mm instead of 110mm because I'm a decade older now.

i had to keep the gold chain, because it is such a good bit.

note the tape on the garage door from where someone tried to drill into my garage last night. nobody loves me more than bike thieves.

I loving love steel frames. Gorgeous. Is that a little plastic fender under your seat? How does that work for you?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BlancoNino posted:

I loving love steel frames. Gorgeous. Is that a little plastic fender under your seat? How does that work for you?
that's an OG AssSaver that i never bothered taking off. the new designs attach to the seat tube and are vastly more effective.

i need to find the old King Cage flask mount and slap that back on

e: went on a little shakedown ride and ran into the most epic bacon 2012 reddit rear end sticker ever:

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 21, 2024

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Just a 6KU single speed I picked up off facebook a bit ago. Came with bullhorn handlebar but I needed a wider one to put brake levers on, and added yellow where I could. Haven't had a single speed since the bmx when I was a kid so it's a fun change of pace.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Looks like it's for children!
Looks fun.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
since posting here last i

- had a scary accident (uninjured)
- felt unmotivated to ride bikes
- booked a 6 day cycling trip in japan cos it was always a dream and felt like now or never
- had a really good time in japan
- came home motivated and bought the nicest/fanciest bike ive ever owned

i ride it extra slow so everyone can see how cool it looks

heres some photos from my trip

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
^^ Nice!

Happy memorial day bike goons!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I have been slowly working on this bike for a little while now. I wanted something that could take me off the beaten pad so to day. One might say it's a bit of an.. adventure bike.
It's a Giant Escape hybrid that I swapped the mountain bike handlebars for drop bars on.
It's sure to make every serious roadie turn away their head.

It's got fenders, 700x43 tires, air pump on the frame, anti-aero handlebar bag, bar-end friction shifters, a kickstand, linear pull v-brakes, "gravel" drop bars, 3d-printed saddle from AliExpress, and a triple chainring in front for that extra low gearing.. and it's heavy.

It's fantastically comfortable to ride so far.

-Anders fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 30, 2024

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

-Anders posted:

I have been slowly working on this bike for a little while now. I wanted something that could take me off the beaten pad so to day. One might say it's a bit of an.. adventure bike.
It's a Giant Escape hybrid that I swapped the mountain bike handlebars for drop bars on.

It's got fenders, 700x43 tires, air pump on the frame, anti-aero handlebar bag, bar-end friction shifters, a kickstand, linear pull v-brakes, "gravel" drop bars, 3d-printed saddle from AliExpress, and a triple chainring in front for that extra low gearing.. and it's heavy.

It's fantastically comfortable to ride so far.

I love it. Needs a partypace sticker.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

-Anders posted:

I don’t know where anyone got the idea that serious roadies were lurking everywhere, ready to scoff at them. Serious roadies look only at their stem or the rear wheel of the bike in front of them. You’re not going to be noticed.

That is very cool setup, though!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
they're all feet fetish weirdos that cant stop staring at socks actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My Swiftwick tan lines are razor sharp.

dema fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 3, 2024