Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

Wasn't the goonfund US only? Or has something changed that I'm not aware of because I can't read

e: to clarify, I thought it was only legally allowed to take donations from within the US. At least that's how it was when I asked a while ago

So we can only disburse fund to goons who are Americans, but as a 501c3, we can receive funds from non Americans. Though I have told non Americans it'd be beneficial to get with me (or another member) and add your name to a list we can contact for those times we get requests from euros/Canadians. So we lend our labor, but no funds touch our hands.

For twitch, any funds you give to a twitch fundraiser goes to PayPal who then give it to us. So it doesn't matter where you are, as they can then give it to us as a fellow American 501c3.

That Little Demon posted:

I signed up to do this and encourage others to do so as well! worth posting in the streamer thread, I follow a few and they are very friendly.

I'll try asking there too! Thank you for helping out!

To let people know in advance, we recently received a major donation - so there's not a rush on helping out as there was last week. Though that money will eventually run out (we have already received 49 requests from goons - all different ones just since May 1st!, things have not been going great out in the real world).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

really queer Christmas posted:

So we can only disburse fund to goons who are Americans, but as a 501c3, we can receive funds from non Americans. Though I have told non Americans it'd be beneficial to get with me (or another member) and add your name to a list we can contact for those times we get requests from euros/Canadians. So we lend our labor, but no funds touch our hands.

For twitch, any funds you give to a twitch fundraiser goes to PayPal who then give it to us. So it doesn't matter where you are, as they can then give it to us as a fellow American 501c3.

That's cool, thanks. I was worried non US people like myself wouldn't be able to contribute to the fundraiser (via ways other than spreading the word and participating in streams)

Definitely hit up Pragmatica if you haven't already, she might be able to get word out in her next monthly post

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
is there an online boardgame emulator that does axis and allies? thinking of a screenshot LP

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

midnight77 posted:

is there an online boardgame emulator that does axis and allies? thinking of a screenshot LP

Tabletop Simulator seems to have a bunch of them in the workshop, so you could use that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That makes me want someone to try SSLPing The Campaign for North Africa

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The best "I wanna SSLP <game" advice is to just do it. Record yourself playing a random mission. Something that's emblematic of the usual gameplay, so nothing cutscene heavy. Then go through the process of creating the update from what you recorded. Pull out screenshots, discuss what you're doing, explain your reasoning for doing it, and create a proof of concept update. And then look at it and go "can I stand doing this once or twice a week for the next year and change?"

And then do it anyway and abandon it ten updates in because it turns out "every couple days" comes up far too often for your liking.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

That makes me want someone to try SSLPing The Campaign for North Africa

That is a monstrous thing to wish upon someone else.

I would also want to see someone else do it.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

DoubleNegative posted:

The best "I wanna SSLP <game" advice is to just do it. Record yourself playing a random mission. Something that's emblematic of the usual gameplay, so nothing cutscene heavy. Then go through the process of creating the update from what you recorded. Pull out screenshots, discuss what you're doing, explain your reasoning for doing it, and create a proof of concept update. And then look at it and go "can I stand doing this once or twice a week for the next year and change?"

And then do it anyway and abandon it ten updates in because it turns out "every couple days" comes up far too often for your liking.

As somebody who's considering LPing a game myself, are the tips and guides on the Tech Support thread and this thread still updated? For example, linking to a guide that recommends Irfanview as the primary screenshot-grabbing source, when I've heard vaguely that many people here record raw footage through OBS or some other recording software and then extract screenshots from that somehow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Numbus26 posted:

As somebody who's considering LPing a game myself, are the tips and guides on the Tech Support thread and this thread still updated? For example, linking to a guide that recommends Irfanview as the primary screenshot-grabbing source, when I've heard vaguely that many people here record raw footage through OBS or some other recording software and then extract screenshots from that somehow.

a video can be thought of as X screenshots per second, where X is your FPS. generally speaking, anything that allows you to look at a video frame by frame will allow you to save that frame, which then obviously becomes your screenshot. to state the obvious conclusion, this means that when you're recording for a screenshot LP, there's relatively little benefit in doing something like 60 FPS - 30 is more than enough, and even 20 is likely more than you'll ever need. keep this in mind if your computer struggles with whatever game you're capturing.

anyway, in terms of software that will let you export individual frames, VLC will allow you to do this, but it can sometimes be bitchy about specific frame iteration. OpenShot also will allow you to do it, it has a specific camera button that you can click when looking at a video you're editing, and boom it becomes a screenshot. both are free/open source/no need for sketchy piracy measures.

e: to belatedly answer the question directly, any of the guides in the tech support fort's second post should absolutely not be trusted. the post was last edited in 2015, there's no way any of it is even approaching current.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 31, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Numbus26 posted:

You could play the game and grab screenshots as you need them, but you need to either be able to plan ahead or be good enough at winging it to know what you'll want when you see it. It'll save you a lot of hard drive space not having to store the recordings, but you're at risk of missing something and you generally won't be able to make gifs to show off attack animations and the like. For something slow, plot-lite, and minimally animated (like Civilization 2 or other 4x/city builder games) it might even be the ideal way to do things. But recording and then grabbing your screenshots allows you to go through the session frame-by-frame if necessary, it means if you realize later something is more important than you initially thought you can go back and get it, and it's much easier to showcase animations and boss battles if you decide you want to. The downside is that recording in high enough (preferably lossless) quality to make a good-looking screenshot is space-expensive; if you're doing a lengthy RPG you'd probably want an external HDD to store the recordings on.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

Coolguye posted:

a video can be thought of as X screenshots per second, where X is your FPS. generally speaking, anything that allows you to look at a video frame by frame will allow you to save that frame, which then obviously becomes your screenshot. to state the obvious conclusion, this means that when you're recording for a screenshot LP, there's relatively little benefit in doing something like 60 FPS - 30 is more than enough, and even 20 is likely more than you'll ever need. keep this in mind if your computer struggles with whatever game you're capturing.

anyway, in terms of software that will let you export individual frames, VLC will allow you to do this, but it can sometimes be bitchy about specific frame iteration. OpenShot also will allow you to do it, it has a specific camera button that you can click when looking at a video you're editing, and boom it becomes a screenshot. both are free/open source/no need for sketchy piracy measures.

Commander Keene posted:

You could play the game and grab screenshots as you need them, but you need to either be able to plan ahead or be good enough at winging it to know what you'll want when you see it. It'll save you a lot of hard drive space not having to store the recordings, but you're at risk of missing something and you generally won't be able to make gifs to show off attack animations and the like. For something slow, plot-lite, and minimally animated (like Civilization 2 or other 4x/city builder games) it might even be the ideal way to do things. But recording and then grabbing your screenshots allows you to go through the session frame-by-frame if necessary, it means if you realize later something is more important than you initially thought you can go back and get it, and it's much easier to showcase animations and boss battles if you decide you want to. The downside is that recording in high enough (preferably lossless) quality to make a good-looking screenshot is space-expensive; if you're doing a lengthy RPG you'd probably want an external HDD to store the recordings on.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look and consider further what my hardware (and hard drive space) allows. I suppose I'll also have to figure out how to make a gif and all the other fiddly things that go into doing this.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Numbus26 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look and consider further what my hardware (and hard drive space) allows. I suppose I'll also have to figure out how to make a gif and all the other fiddly things that go into doing this.

For gifs I stuck with VirtualDub2. Easy to grab exactly what you want, and from there you can freely fiddle with frame rate and image size to get the file size down.

From there I'd throw it into gimp to convert to .webp to get the file size even smaller.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

While this is the subject
I recently used a forum where you could just upload screenshots to the post you were writing and insert it where you please in perfect sslp format, exactly like I thought people on this site did before learning of the horrifying manual effort involved. Probably not happening onsite, but I really think we'd see more SSLPs if some kind of program like that could be made to cut the workload dramatically.

Serious props to anyone who's made an SSLP, I respect your hard work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that is definitely not getting native support in the forum. they still can't even get basic stuff like archives working again, and the heady few days when LP was slightly more than a containment zone to get those weird freaks out of Games are long, long over. this place is definitely not regarded any better since let's playing became briefly mainstream and then evolved past anything we do here.

that said, back in the day i cobbled together a degenerate workflow using a custom notepad++ workflow that gets rid of a lot of the rote work, a little like a linux user making a 10,000 line vim config file in order to streamline boiler plate coding by another 5%.

i'll try to dig up some of my old notes on the topic this weekend, but i am both unsure where they are and if any of it still works the way i originally thought of it, since i wrote it at least half a decade ago at this point. if i were to handle the topic fresh today i'd probably try to work up some greasemonkey scripts to understand stuff like "drag and drop an image into the posting box at forums.somethingawful.com means upload that image to imgur and paste me back the url".

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 31, 2024

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

BisbyWorl posted:

For gifs I stuck with VirtualDub2. Easy to grab exactly what you want, and from there you can freely fiddle with frame rate and image size to get the file size down.

From there I'd throw it into gimp to convert to .webp to get the file size even smaller.

For gifs I would definitely recommend https://ezgif.com/. It's fast, free and has all the features you could possibly want. I use it all the time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

MythosDragon posted:

While this is the subject
I recently used a forum where you could just upload screenshots to the post you were writing and insert it where you please in perfect sslp format, exactly like I thought people on this site did before learning of the horrifying manual effort involved. Probably not happening onsite, but I really think we'd see more SSLPs if some kind of program like that could be made to cut the workload dramatically.

Serious props to anyone who's made an SSLP, I respect your hard work.

Honestly it's not that hard, but it takes some time:

Record video, snap screenshots, trim screenshots, resize images to 900px wide, upload with sharex to lpix, paste image links into post, add witty commentary in between screenshots.

I'm not sure what exactly could make that process simpler. Sharex already adds the tags to inline the images, etc...

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

that is definitely not getting native support in the forum. they still can't even get basic stuff like archives working again, and the heady few days when LP was slightly more than a containment zone to get those weird freaks out of Games are long, long over.

tbf there's no motivation* to get archives "working" again when computers have evolved to the point where they can handle millions of threads with hundreds of pages in the live database without falling over. But yeah if you asked about direct-pasting images specifically you would likely be told it's part of the attachments v2 project which isn't happening any time soon.

* besides monetary but the forums aren't short of money, either

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Numbus26 posted:

I use OBS to record raw footage, VirtualDub2 to move through it frame by frame, and Irfanview to capture and batch crop screenshots.

I do not currently know how to make animated .gifs. I'll gently caress around with ezgif.com over the weekend to see if I can get the hang of it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

It's been so long for me, I can't remember all of the programs I used to use to make gifs, let alone the whole workflow. I seem to remember virtualdub being part of the process. Then there was something like avpsmod(?) that was a tweaked virtualdub that helped...somehow. Then it was open gifs in GIMP and optimize until it was good or small enough to work.

For the few videos I did, I remember learning avisynth pretty well, which I bet hasn't been recommended in the better part of a decade.

I feel so old now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I used to use Imgur's video-to-gif converter, but they got rid of that for some dumb reason.

Adobe's got a free online tool for it, but I can't vouch for it since I never used it.

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/video/convert/video-to-gif

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Download gooncam and then record the gif of the video while it plays in VLC :eng101:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Download gooncam and then record the gif of the video while it plays in VLC :eng101:

I used to do this. Gooncam does not work with windows 11, the viewfinder is completely inaccurate at all times.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

christ all of you. absolute pity lol. ive been moving my poo poo all day but once i get my pc hooked back up ill remember the program i use of which is extremely simple and will not leave watermarks. unless someone remembers it first...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

I used to do this. Gooncam does not work with windows 11, the viewfinder is completely inaccurate at all times.

It works for me, but instead of the target window being inaccurate it just arbitrarily decides I can't resize the window on a certain corner or edge so would need to use the opposite one. Also sometimes it just vanishes everywhere but in the task bar.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just record the screen w/ ur phone

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I use GIF Movie Gear, which is fantastic for working with GIFs in my experience, but it's also $20 so, probably not worth the money for such a niche application. I certainly got my money's worth from it though.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Explosionface posted:

For the few videos I did, I remember learning avisynth pretty well, which I bet hasn't been recommended in the better part of a decade.

I feel so old now.

I still use Avisynth, but I've basically come to terms with the fact that I'm an old dog refusing to learn new tricks. Something about "programming" video editing with precise frame numbers just works in my head.

For gifs, even with ezgif and/or gooncam I was never able to make anything I was happy with for quality and filesize.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

For gifs, even with ezgif and/or gooncam I was never able to make anything I was happy with for quality and filesize.

Who said anything about quality? Shitposts

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I use GIF Movie Gear, which is fantastic for working with GIFs in my experience, but it's also $20 so, probably not worth the money for such a niche application. I certainly got my money's worth from it though.

Surprisingly, it's really easy to :filez: it. It doesn't really check if your product key is legit or not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Screentogif is what you want to use
Even exports to webms and mp4s if you really want

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I know some people complain about the format, but animated .webp lets you cram the same amount of quality and length into a much smaller filesize than a .gif.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Screentogif is what you want to use
Even exports to webms and mp4s if you really want

ok this is what i was thinking of

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How does webp work? The one time I tried making one I got an identical file size to a GIF, though it may just have been how I made it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It should generally result in a lower filesize than a similar .gif, but it's hard to say why it was the same size without knowing what it was and how you exported it.

For a .webp I cut out the parts of the video I want, then run an ffmpeg script to turn every frame of the video into an image, which I then import into a GIMP window as layers. I then crop to relevant bits and resize to something reasonable and export. It's definitely more annoying than making a .gif but the filesize is always much lower.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

How does webp work? The one time I tried making one I got an identical file size to a GIF, though it may just have been how I made it.

Iunno, I just make them with Ezgif instead of making Gifs and the same thing tends to end up notably smaller, like sometimes down to 10% size.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arist posted:

For a .webp I cut out the parts of the video I want, then run an ffmpeg script to turn every frame of the video into an image, which I then import into a GIMP window as layers. I then crop to relevant bits and resize to something reasonable and export. It's definitely more annoying than making a .gif but the filesize is always much lower.

I just make a gif in virtualdub 2 then reexport that in GIMP as a webp :v:

If it works it works.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I hand draw the individual frames on sheets of paper, then turn it into a flip book. Not that hard, guys! :)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

berryjon posted:

I hand draw the individual frames on sheets of paper, then turn it into a flip book. Not that hard, guys! :)

You’re joking but I’ve literally capped every frame of a gif I wanted to make then assembled it one by one before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TeeQueue posted:

You’re joking but I’ve literally capped every frame of a gif I wanted to make then assembled it one by one before.

Back when I did my Angband Let's Play, I did animations by turning the game's frame delay way up, then mashing the screenshot button while playing the game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Back when I did my Angband Let's Play, I did animations by turning the game's frame delay way up, then mashing the screenshot button while playing the game. :v:

That's insanely stupid, buti assume it at least worked