Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Insert credit has the fun observation that in the new series Link has the ability to climb and glide, he has gained the powers of Knuckles

I’m pretty sure at least one game gave him the ability to punch things as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

With an intriguing vore flavor

Each moblin is filled with your typical puzzles with blocks, switches, gears and levers, tiny skeletons, zonai devices, etc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Zonai nanotech wouldn't even be weird given what we see their devices do

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they're powered by courage. when you reduce it to the nano level it's a series of puzzles and a skeleton.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure at least one game gave him the ability to punch things as well

Oracle games at the very least had a ring that let you punch people.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Link has the ability to punch NPCs in A Link to the Past when you let the blacksmiths temper your sword.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Houle posted:

Oracle games at the very least had a ring that let you punch people.

Ricky would punch Ganon through a brick wall and smile.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Kassad posted:

Go kill Ganondorf already

Never.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's funny how differently you find things in TotK depending on how you play through it. My first time, I ran away from the first gloom hand I saw, and didn't fight them or meet Phantom Ganon until I was getting pretty close to the end. I remember thinking to myself that's all? when I beat him without any trouble.

This time, I ran into one much earlier and started a fight with Phantom Ganon. I realized I was in over my head and decided to run away, only for him to teleport over and KO me from behind my back right when I thought I was getting away. I feel like that's a much more entertaining introduction, I wish that had happened the first time around.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's funny how differently you find things in TotK depending on how you play through it. My first time, I ran away from the first gloom hand I saw, and didn't fight them or meet Phantom Ganon until I was getting pretty close to the end. I remember thinking to myself that's all? when I beat him without any trouble.

This time, I ran into one much earlier and started a fight with Phantom Ganon. I realized I was in over my head and decided to run away, only for him to teleport over and KO me from behind my back right when I thought I was getting away. I feel like that's a much more entertaining introduction, I wish that had happened the first time around.

My first time meeting the gloom hands was in a cave with a shrine. I forget the shrine name, but it was near lookout landing, and was up on a ledge overlooking essentially a giant pit that contained the hands. I scrabbled up the wall and waited for them to despawn, because I had 4 hearts and a half-gone stick on me. The next time, it was a bit further into a cave near dueling peaks stable. This time, I figured I'd try to fight the hands, since I had a decent number of bombs and arrows. The hands went down like a chump, but I didn't realize what came next, panicked a bit, and tried to ascend away. As soon as I popped out up top, so too does Phantom Ganon, who just proceeds to "Nothing personal, kid" me and 1 shot me as I tried to run away.

I didn't actually defeat Phantom Ganon until much later, when I went to try to find my way into the lost woods. Even then, it was carpet bombing the entire area, followed by lots and lots of elemental arrows to the face.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It's very satisfying going from being absolutely terrified of the Hands and hurriedly looking for any way out whenever they pop up, to seeing the sky turn red and dark and hearing their shrill cry and responding with "oh, it's that kind of night, is it?!" and slapping their poo poo in.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

1st encounter: Hyrule Field, sunshine. Panicked and ran like a baby.

2nd encounter: Necluda I think, on the road to Hateno. Rainy. Death.

3rd encounter: Depths under the Lost Woods, heading toward the Deku Tree. Sprinting for all I'm worth, getting caught and escaping multiple times, going through at least two fairies, until I saw the ascension pillar from a distance and the spawn turned back. Victory of a sort.

4th encounter: Labyrinth. Bombed from safety above, then a skin-of-my-teeth Phantom Ganon battle. Victory.

This I feel is a pretty much ideal experience.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

It's very satisfying going from being absolutely terrified of the Hands and hurriedly looking for any way out whenever they pop up, to seeing the sky turn red and dark and hearing their shrill cry and responding with "oh, it's that kind of night, is it?!" and slapping their poo poo in.

It's kind of an analogue to the Guardians, in a way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Although I don't think there's a very direct analogue to gitting gud at parrying and just slapping away guardian lasers with a pot lid, that's something I miss from the first game.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
First time.i faced them I got my rear end kicked over and over until I decided to come back later. It didn't help that I never fused items with monster parts wanting to have them due to me hoarding. Once I started using fused weapons he started to get easier and once I decided to just carpet bomb him with the 5x shot Lionel bow I don't think I saw him form the actual Ganon.

By the time I got to the fight with a bunch of them I was hoping that my Buddies would just faint so I could take them all on at the same time

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Hygiene posted:

Although I don't think there's a very direct analogue to gitting gud at parrying and just slapping away guardian lasers with a pot lid, that's something I miss from the first game.

I was wondering if there's supposed to be some trick to them, I always just cheese them with a lynel bow and bomb arrows.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was wondering if there's supposed to be some trick to them, I always just cheese them with a lynel bow and bomb arrows.

That's pretty much the trick, yeah. If you don't kill all the hands at about the same time, they will respawn quickly, which basically necessitates that you carpet bomb them till they all die. I'd've loved a couple more options for that part of the fight, but it's not like they were exactly common enemies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Evading them by climbing up a rock or something is the only trick I can think of, but that just feels like exploiting their movement, not anything neat. I always just bomb arrowed them however much I could, too.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there actually a way to beat them without bomb arrows? I’d love to know.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I actually preferred to use Dazzlefruit since Bomb Flowers were always in short supply my entire 250 hour run.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

eightysixed posted:

Lots of spinning

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Bomb arrows are ideal but any kind of area-of-effect arrow from outside their reach will do the job in a pinch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eightysixed posted:

any water source followed by any electricity source to get a big aoe that stuns all of them

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Good thing I’m 225 hours in and just learning this :suicide:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Wouldn't be a Switch Zelda game without one of those "you can do that??" moments

E: I did one of the halo jump shrines near the path to Rito Village, expecting it to be a reward shrine but instead it's an archery tutorial. Like, why here?

Kassad fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 16, 2024

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Kassad posted:

E: I did one of the halo jump shrines near the path to Rito Village, expecting it to be a reward shrine but instead it's an archery tutorial. Like, why here?

Probably assuming you'll run into it on your way to the first temple.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's that plus a rocket shield of course. Pretty much the same strategy as Gleeoks.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know if they break zonai tech but you could probably make a few robots to keep the hands occupied/knock you out of their hands while you hack and slash.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

My first time meeting the gloom hands was in a cave with a shrine. I forget the shrine name, but it was near lookout landing, and was up on a ledge overlooking essentially a giant pit that contained the hands. I scrabbled up the wall and waited for them to despawn, because I had 4 hearts and a half-gone stick on me.

I came across the hands a couple times in the field and ran the hell away from them after the first time I got grabbed. When I ran into them in this exact cave I realized they couldn't follow me up the ledge and sniped at them with arrows. I was feeling pretty smug until Phantom Ganon showed up, and he was definitely able to climb the ledge. I managed to beat him after a tense fight that depleted my entire inventory and learned my lesson about respecting The Hands.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I prefer guardian hunting and the hands just aren’t the same to me.

That maze basement guardian nest in BOTW is A+.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, the guardians were better in pretty much every way, from their design to the way you fought them. They were probably trying to take a different approach to gatekeeping areas, by trying to scare you before or after the fact. It was cool how in BotW you could see Hyrule Castle from a distance, but them you look down at the surround field that's crawling with guardians and decide "nah, maybe later".

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I like to think all those statues that shoot lasers at you in LttP are actually guardians.

The first time I encountered a guardian in BoTW - the one without legs in the abbey on the Great Plateau - I thought it was just like that similar shaped enemy in OoT that has a rotating laser head, the one where you have throw a bomb at it and time it right so it explodes by the head. I spent way too long trying to bomb that first guardian.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah I still put guardians on a higher tier just because getting the timing down on the laser parry and taking them out that way is so satisfying.

Though the ToTK team did a way better job of putting mini bosses in areas you're guaranteed to stumble over them if you're going in blind somewhere. Getting jump scared by a Frox is way more intense and memorable than running over a Talus.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lmao, I went looking way back in the BotW thread to find one of my game captures, and I found this instead:

https://twitter.com/smaho_neko/status/1371056924616101891

:kiss:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah in my opinion the mini bosses and full on boss fights in Tears are better than any in Breath. I mean the DLC fight with the monk was the best boss fight in BoTW for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao this was a contest winner apparently for making constructs.

https://x.com/saiotoko002/status/1765710437537177981

edit: all of the entries are great

https://blog.nicovideo.jp/niconews/208352.html

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 16, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lmao

The only thing it needs is a terrible inept version of the guardian battle music, a la that lovely recorder cover of the Jurassic Park theme

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: all of the entries are great

https://blog.nicovideo.jp/niconews/208352.html
amazing. wish i could come up with any idea at all such creative ideas for builds

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Check the link for more of those- The infinite sailing ship is the one that honestly impresses me the most although every one of them are great.

Also: lol

https://x.com/chocrab_1226/status/1791064119631818916

edit: oh poo poo this is actually the most best use I've seen of Mineru, I gotta try it.

https://x.com/mbuglitch/status/1762758785221984270

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004