Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Weka posted:

The west is not a monolith and does plenty of good things

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Weka posted:

The west ...does plenty of good things.
No....just no...
Cracked cracker brain. Degenerate rear end robber Baron civilization.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You've got nothing more than a Greco-Roman and then Anglo-Saxon legacy of being the worst shittiest stupidest motherfuckers on the planet. Gj keeping up the tradition in the modern day. If Xerxes had nipped yall in the bud or Charles Martel lost we're in a 3000x better planet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Weka posted:

The west is not a monolith and does plenty of good things. Often hand in hand with that neocolonialism but I would like a particular criticism before I condemn a thing.

Also IDK why you characterize it as a western project when in addition to Penn State it was created by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture and the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization.

how is the phone app better than a book

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
idk anything about the farming app but anytime i see some kind of tech product (especially western AI) used to help the global south my assumption until proven otherwise is that it's a way to give grant money to silicon valley at best and at worst, it's a way to someone trap them in some kind of western dependency or trojan horse some neoliberal policies that will let them buy it all up in a few years.

the app could be good, but i can't tell from a 2 min video.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

The west is not a monolith and does plenty of good things.

Citation needed

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
personally I like not having smallpox

Third World Reagan posted:

how is the phone app better than a book

it networks data to head off disease spreading. also it is much easier to use, you just point it at a plant basically. it's like saying how is a crossbow better than a longbow. any schmuck can use it. I don't know if you have ever tried to identify plant diseases but I have and I found it rather difficult.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No....just no...
Cracked cracker brain. Degenerate rear end robber Baron civilization.

Eh. Propaganda of the deed and all that. They're getting fewer by the generation, but there are still people in power who understand that the credibility granted by a genuine good deed now and again is quite useful for maintaining larger systems of exploitation. A right thing done for a wrong reason isn't really the highest priority to get Internet Mad about. There's plenty of wrong things done for wrong reasons left.

e: also, an app is better than a book because making copies is free and you don't need to carry them around to hand out if there's mobile data and people have cell phones

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

crepeface posted:

idk anything about the farming app but anytime i see some kind of tech product (especially western AI) used to help the global south my assumption until proven otherwise is that it's a way to give grant money to silicon valley at best and at worst, it's a way to someone trap them in some kind of western dependency or trojan horse some neoliberal policies that will let them buy it all up in a few years.

the app could be good, but i can't tell from a 2 min video.

We have local apps and companies that do the same stuff. I prefer to support them because they don't funnel money to Silicon Valley. The funnel money to Cape Town, which is then funneled to off-shore tax havens.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Weka posted:

personally I like not having smallpox

it networks data to head off disease spreading. also it is much easier to use, you just point it at a plant basically. it's like saying how is a crossbow better than a longbow. any schmuck can use it. I don't know if you have ever tried to identify plant diseases but I have and I found it rather difficult.

The bow comparison is not apt.

Ease of use is doing some work here.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Cassian of Imola posted:

is there any evidence the app even works?

this seems like an important question to answer before we get to slapfighting about whether The West has any redeeming qualities. I suspect that the app, much like other AI crap, doesn't accurately diagnose plant diseases, and this is a way to shuffle money around NGOs instead of just giving people books with colour illustrations

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cassian of Imola posted:

this seems like an important question to answer before we get to slapfighting about whether The West has any redeeming qualities. I suspect that the app, much like other AI crap, doesn't accurately diagnose plant diseases, and this is a way to shuffle money around NGOs instead of just giving people books with colour illustrations

See if you teach them the information themselves and how to teach it then there won't be any jobs for NGOs and NGO-adjacent developers

This seems a bit like when a lot of global south countries had places that could make the vaccines but because ~reasons~ they couldn't get the patents to do so

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1790359746790244703

quote:

In explaining why Niger is kicking out U.S. troops, Niger's prime minister tells
@Rachel_Chason that U.S. officials tried to dictate which countries Niger could partner with in a manner he viewed as disrespectful:

He said the Nigerien leaders took particular umbrage at remarks by Molly Phee, the State Department’s top official for African affairs, who he said had urged the government during a March visit to Niamey to refrain from engaging with Iran and Russia in ways objectionable to Washington if Niger wanted to continue its security relationship with the United States. He also said Phee had further threatened sanctions if Niger pursued a deal to sell uranium to Iran.

“When she finished, I said, ‘Madame, I am going to summarize in two points what you have said,’” recounted Zeine, who has led negotiations with the United States. “First, you have come here to threaten us in our country. That is unacceptable. And you have come here to tell us with whom we can have relationships, which is also unacceptable. And you have done it all with a condescending tone and a lack of respect.”

In response to Zeine’s comments, a U.S. official said: “The message ... was a coordinated U.S. government position, delivered in a professional manner, in response to valid concerns about developments in Niger. The CNSP was presented with a choice, not an ultimatum, about whether they wished to continue their partnership with us, respectful of our democratic values and national security interests.

"We didn't threaten them, we just made very clear that they had to do what we say or there would be major consequences."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

"We didn't threaten them, we just made very clear that they had to do what we say or there would be major consequences."

the US could have probably got what they wanted or close to it if they didn't deliberately insult Niger or treat them like a colonial subject

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

"It would be very sad if your country caught fire! Just saying.... Do you have some gabagool here ?" - The average US diplomat.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:18 on May 14, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

the US could have probably got what they wanted or close to it if they didn't deliberately insult Niger or treat them like a colonial subject

on top of nobody at state believing in diplomacy at all anymore we're also just too racist to pull that off

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

on top of nobody at state believing in diplomacy at all anymore we're also just too racist to pull that off

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
IDK why some people here object to NGOs like the FAO or the Nigeria based International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (a CGIAR member) or universities. Who do you think should be doing agricultural research?

Third World Reagan posted:

The bow comparison is not apt.

Ease of use is doing some work here.

Seems way easier to use to me but perhaps you could say why you think that's not the case. Type in your location and the plant variety then point at the plant vs learn the signs and symptoms of a dozen diseases.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Weka posted:

IDK why some people here object to NGOs like the FAO or the Nigeria based International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (a CGIAR member) or universities. Who do you think should be doing agricultural research?

I'm just skeptical their app works because it's using machine learning to visually diagnose, like, root fungus when similar tech can't reliably identify a child standing in the road

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cassian of Imola posted:

I'm just skeptical their app works because it's using machine learning to visually diagnose, like, root fungus when similar tech can't reliably identify a child standing in the road

iunno about diseases but I use two apps for birds and plants where I post a pic and it tells me which species it is

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
tried to ID a seaweed and it said i was looking at a giant slug. I'm not putting my trust in technolalgae

Weka
May 5, 2019

Psycho Society posted:

tried to ID a seaweed and it said i was looking at a giant slug. I'm not putting my trust in technolalgae

you need to switch to the back camera

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

lmfao

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cassian of Imola posted:

actually you said it was probably just a way to shuffle money around NGOs, which if that's the case it's still good, give the FAO more money imo.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Weka posted:

gently caress

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Weka posted:

:drat:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

:master:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Weka posted:

drat

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

:master:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Weka posted:

lol cruel & unusual

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Weka posted:

wow

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Weka posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Weka posted:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Weka posted:

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Weka posted:

actually you said it was probably just a way to shuffle money around NGOs

yeah because didn't think it worked. if it worked then it would have a second purpose, identifying diseases in crops

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://x.com/PresidencyZA/status/1790724028493169059?t=fQW_aKKETZcb17XHd2yA9A&s=09

Ramaphosa is signing the National Health Insurance into effect, strategically a few weeks before the election.

Maybe this helps the ANC stay in power, but since it'll take 6 years or more to roll out, it's hard to say.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think Raisi may be dead

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1792200533295636600

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, was also on board.

Edit: So were East Azerbaijan Governor Malek Rahmati and Ayatollah Mohammad Ali Ale-Hashem, representative of the Iranian supreme leader to East Azerbaijan.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 18:44 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's possible rescuers haven't even made it to the wreck yet. they're extremely dead