Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

no lube so what posted:

seems hyper r-word if you ask me

R*actionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

R*actionary

more like Boston guy describing a shore that has a bunch of dead shellfish and creatures from a toxic algae bloom, R*edtided

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I have a neighbor that was biking across the US. He started in California and died in Pima, Arizona, run over by a car early in the morning.

Being alongside highways is super dangerous.

quote:

Being on the road in America is super dangerous in general
13.8 deaths per 100,000

In many places in Europe, it's 2 to 4 per 100,000. Even Canada's is only 5.3 per 100,000.

quote:

I preach this poo poo all the time. People get WAY too comfortable with driving. It's literally the most dangerous thing, by a massive margin, that almost all of us do on a daily basis.

You should be scared while driving. If you ever feel comfortable enough to even peek at your phone, you're jaded and the reason why so many people die in car accidents.

Just knowing when my loved ones are on the road gives me anxiety. Especially the ones that don't have the safest cars.

OP never states this, but the figures are per hundred thousand total residents, per year.

My god, can you imagine forty‐six thousand Americans dying to one cause in a year? Over two thousand Canadians?

That’s Kafkaesque. I’m glad that I don’t have any neighbors dying to anything like that.

e: bonus, a counterpart to “Vaxed?”

quote:

loving speeding death machines. I walk all over town and I count how long I have to wait to cross roads each time I come to them. Fuckers take up about fifteen minutes of my commute. I loving hate these speeding metal death trap cancer machines. gently caress cars.

quote:

are you not using a crosswalk?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:53 on May 15, 2024

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

I like how long bird flu is taking to get to us. It's been stalking ever closer for like 2 years.

yeah it owns

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've compared the bird flu situation to the part in the horror movie when the monster is outside and it's testing the windows and doors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the most positive thing I have heard about Biden in, I don’t even know how long.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Joementum posted:

Biden just announced a 25% tariff on facemasks.

NeonPunk posted:

That's not so bad, we've sure invested in manufacturing all those things right here, right?

Hold on, let me catch up with the Econ and China thread first...

The Oldest Man posted:

we actually did and then a bunch of those manufacturing companies ate poo poo because the government didnt place orders and the american consumer doesnt want to buy them either

Here's an example I posted recently:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Company which was granted $96 million to produce nitrile gloves in the US still hasn't made any gloves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmS4Dy1oU-c

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My mom might be restarting chemo next month, so this is super cool and good

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Are there still any decent clear N95s available? Asking for myself, a resident of a state that might ban masking soon

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
when has calling your representative actually done anything? I mean unless I’m a big donor, regular people have no representation in us govt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

Are there still any decent clear N95s available? Asking for myself, a resident of a state that might ban masking soon

those optrel masks or some PAPRs are the only ones I’ve seen

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Zugzwang posted:

although they're not completely clear, there are a few in the EU if you don't mind importing. haven't tried any of these, so idk how good they are

Alpha Solway Hxc-2 (FFP2) and Hxc-3 (FFP3) - https://www.harrisonsofhull.com/products/alpha-solway-p3-disposable-clear-front-panel-respirators-hxc-2-ffp3

Flawa MaXsmile (FFP2), think this might be the same as the Optrel in the US - https://vitalcarevisions.de/en/produkt/ffp2-transparent-respirator-mask-maxsmile-pro-105109-pack-of-20/

Stealth Clarity (FFP3) - https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/products/stealth-clarity-transparent-face-mask

there's also a half-mask kind of thing with the Leanmask Smile https://lean-mask.com/en/product/smile/, it says it has P2 filters but doesn't say it's actually P2-rated anywhere

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Wear a shirt with a bald eagle on it and the law will never be applied to you*.

*Offer only valid for white guys

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It would be easier to just wear a N95 or elastomeric under a white hood tbh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just popped over to the 24/7 gas station for a midnight snack and the attendant refused to unlock the door until I removed my mask "for the cameras" lol. It's been a LONG time since anything like that happened to me.

To be fair it was a new guy and I do look pretty shady

Oh yeah I was going to say that you should go back in your Christmas tree costume. :covidtree:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/tb-covid-co-infections-increasingly-common-tied-worse-outcomes-data-show posted:

TB-COVID co-infections increasingly common, tied to worse outcomes, data show

The authors of the study (insofar as I could skim), didn't offer any particular reason as to why. Partially it is down to more COVID spread, but I can also imagine handling of TB case isolation becoming more lax.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CGI Stardust posted:

although they're not completely clear, there are a few in the EU if you don't mind importing. haven't tried any of these, so idk how good they are

Alpha Solway Hxc-2 (FFP2) and Hxc-3 (FFP3) - https://www.harrisonsofhull.com/products/alpha-solway-p3-disposable-clear-front-panel-respirators-hxc-2-ffp3

Flawa MaXsmile (FFP2), think this might be the same as the Optrel in the US - https://vitalcarevisions.de/en/produkt/ffp2-transparent-respirator-mask-maxsmile-pro-105109-pack-of-20/

Stealth Clarity (FFP3) - https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/products/stealth-clarity-transparent-face-mask

there's also a half-mask kind of thing with the Leanmask Smile https://lean-mask.com/en/product/smile/, it says it has P2 filters but doesn't say it's actually P2-rated anywhere
Thanks, I'll look into these.

Platystemon posted:

Wear a shirt with a bald eagle on it and the law will never be applied to you*.

*Offer only valid for white guys
Will be fun to see who actually gets targeted by this law outside of protests. The GOP lawmakers say they hope "common sense" will prevent enforcement against people like old folks wearing masks while shopping, but they're full of poo poo and they know it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks, I'll look into these.

Will be fun to see who actually gets targeted by this law outside of protests. The GOP lawmakers say they hope "common sense" will prevent enforcement against people like old folks wearing masks while shopping, but they're full of poo poo and they know it.

I don't recall the details but does anyone else remember some state representatives having to suddenly scramble because they made a law against something public health related? - I think it might have been in regards to the Delta or Omicron wave.

I remember they said something along the lines of the obvious consequences being unintended and they didn't realize said obvious consequences would be the... well... consequences.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

As somebody who would be affected by this, would anybody be able to clarify what they likely mean by "public"? Would this include when you're inside buildings for private businesses like grocery stores, doctor offices, etc... or does it mean when you're outside anywhere that's not private property? I also know there's a difference between what something should mean and how police could enforce it, I just want to know in theory how bad this is.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Just throw a kkk hood on if any one gives you poo poo, apparently.

e: another use case for "I have tuberculosis" and a well placed blood capsule

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

Which really explains why it seems like basic bitches don't catch covid at all

:v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

I don't recall the details but does anyone else remember some state representatives having to suddenly scramble because they made a law against something public health related? - I think it might have been in regards to the Delta or Omicron wave.

I remember they said something along the lines of the obvious consequences being unintended and they didn't realize said obvious consequences would be the... well... consequences.

I think Texas accidentally outlawed marriage while trying to ban same-sex marriage via state constitutional amendment at one point.

They also accidentally banned the Bible from schools during a book ban attempt.

And they banned publicly carrying or giving away drug paraphernalia like syringes pipes and naloxone.

Basically if it’s a stupid knee jerk ill-thought-out law with obvious unintended consequences even an idiot could have foreseen, it’s likely Texas.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 16:34 on May 15, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I went to see Dune 2 with an N95 and it was fine, then my son wanted to see Godzilla so we all strapped masks on and went to see that, now we won’t be returning to a theater not because masks don’t work but because during godzilla I noticed some mice running around in the fancy AMC DINE IN theater, so masks work but I ain’t sitting in rat piss lmao

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

Soooooo there's actually an elastomeric in this field called the OmniMask.

I have one in my stable so I can report on the upsides and downsides.

Upsides:

* Comfortable. One of the softer seals from elastomerics I've experienced. It's one of my more lightweight elastomerics as well. I wish it was 10% smaller for my fat little face but it does more or less fit.
* Can get adapters that make it work with a wide variety of standard industrial pancake filters from Honeywell and 3M and the like. The adapters mean even if they go out of business that you'll be able to get new filters for it. (Always a concern for me with esoteric respirators.) I use it with these pancake filters for the very shallow reason that they're the least colorful.
* I hotboxed myself in my bathroom with a cheapo atomizer and Bitrex and can pass this janky qualitative test in it.
* I recently used it during a couple airplane trips and did not have to take my mask off to get through security--even when they did some weird new fangled digital scanning of my face.
* I guess the sheer novelty of it gets comments from people in public in a not the worst way, like the dude manning the airport Panda Express checkout called it the "most secure mask" he'd ever seen, or a coworker talked about the approachability of it compared to the GVS Elipse.
* Filtered exhalation valve. I use the included filters for that.
* I trust the breathability of this more than I would any N95 that inserted a window.

Downsides:

* I don't know if their included filters are trustable, so that means pancakes, which makes it a bit less sleek looking. I do find it interesting that they don't talk about keeping from germs in the front literature but all their independent testing is solely based on bacterial and viral penetration.
* Expensive, expensive initial cost. We're talking $100 for the respirator, $20 for the adapters, another $10-12 for pancake filters, plus shipping costs. Once you've got it, though, the upkeep costs will be minimal--the pancake filters will last for ages and ages and the body you can just wash by hand with dish soap.
* Sound muffling, much more so than regular N95s.
* I'm always terrified if I sneeze in that thing it's just gonna show everybody a gross splatter show until I can slink away and wipe it off. Fortunately, I do not sneeze much.

Clarifications added post posting to make a better one stop reference:

tuyop posted:

this looks like a great elastomeric. how’s the weight? condensation?

Okay I've done a weighing round with a kitchen scale and some of my stable.

My OmniMask with the adapters and pancake filters is around 151 grams.

An Aura weighs around 10 grams.
A FloMask weighs 58 grams.
A GVS Elipse, vented, weighs 149 grams. It's comparable, but feels heavier, probably due to the stiffness of the body and the firmer tension of the thick elastic.

The ones more comparable in "class":

MSA Advantage 900 Small, with P100 splash cartridges, weighs 165 grams.
A Dentec 400MD, Small, with P100 cartridges, weighs 196 grams.
My 3M SecureClick HF801SD Small with Hard Case P100 filters, weighs 274 grams, an absolute unit.

OmniMask condensation isn't as bad as, say, a ventless GVS Elipse or Dentec (which turn my face into a swamp in short order) or a FloMask (love wringing out that foam catcher) or a MSA Advantage 900. Not as good as a vented GVS Elipse or my HF801SD. After several hours, there's a thin layer of condensation on the window. I think one could probably get less condensation if you don't filter the exhalation vent.

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks! How's the sizing? I could only get into the biggest SecureClick size because of my big dumb face.

They only carry one size but it's a very flexible size. I'm on the small side with a pathetic excuse for a chin, so for me the seal practically ends up at my neck instead of cupping my chin, yet it seems to work. (I'm also just barely on the low bridge side for FloMask fit.) I've tried to take some measurements for you:

78mm from the bottom of the nose seal to the top of the chin cup. 127mm from the top of the nose seal to the bottom of the chin cup. It's 127.7mm from side to side at rest, which is larger than my face width, so when it's on me it wraps around because of the pressure from the elastic; it could also do the opposite, I think, for a large face by bending out instead.

This is a picture on their site taken with a slightly downturned angle towards the seal, which makes the nose seal look longer than when face on and the open area look smaller:

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 00:40 on May 16, 2024

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
great find. even a bitrex test for it.

holy poo poo you've been doing good work

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 16:55 on May 15, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just had a flashback to seeing people wearing cloth masks and then taking them off to cough/sneeze and then putting them back on.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
now they only do that with surgical masks, which they got in the urgent care waiting room

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DominoKitten posted:

Upsides:

* Comfortable. One of the softer seals from elastomerics I've experienced. It's one of my more lightweight elastomerics as well. I wish it was 10% smaller for my fat little face but it does more or less fit.
* Can get adapters that make it work with a wide variety of standard industrial pancake filters from Honeywell and 3M and the like. The adapters mean even if they go out of business that you'll be able to get new filters for it. (Always a concern for me with esoteric respirators.) I use it with these pancake filters for the very shallow reason that they're the least colorful.
* I hotboxed myself in my bathroom with a cheapo atomizer and Bitrex and can pass this janky quantative test in it.
* I recently used it during a couple airplane trips and did not have to take my mask off to get through security--even when they did some weird new fangled digital scanning of my face.
* I guess the sheer novelty of it gets comments from people in public in a not the worst way, like the dude manning the airport Panda Express checkout called it the "most secure mask" he'd ever seen, or a coworker talked about the approachability of it compared to the GVS Elipse.
* I trust the breathability of this more than I would any N95 that inserted a window.

Downsides:

* I don't know if their included filters are trustable, so that means pancakes, which makes it a bit less sleek looking. I do find it interesting that they don't talk about keeping from germs in the front literature but all their independent testing is solely based on bacterial and viral penetration.
* Expensive, expensive initial cost. We're talking $100 for the respirator, $20 for the adapters, another $10-12 for pancake filters, plus shipping costs. Once you've got it, though, the upkeep costs will be minimal--the pancake filters will last for ages and ages and the body you can just wash by hand with dish soap.
* I'm always terrified if I sneeze in that thing it's just gonna show everybody a gross splatter show until I can slink away and wipe it off. Fortunately, I do not sneeze much.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

maxwellhill posted:

great find. even a bitrex test for it.

holy poo poo you've been doing good work

why thank u

tuyop posted:

A GVS Elipse, vented, weighs 149 grams. It's comparable, but feels heavier, probably due to the stiffness of the body and the firmer tension of the thick elastic.

My 3M SecureClick HF801SD Small with Hard Case P100 filters, weighs 274 grams, an absolute unit.

OmniMask condensation isn't as bad as, say, a ventless GVS Elipse or Dentec (which turn my face into a swamp in short order) or a FloMask (love wringing out that foam catcher) or a MSA Advantage 900. Not as good as a vented GVS Elipse or my HF801SD. After several hours, there's a thin layer of condensation on the window. I think one could probably get less condensation if you don't filter the exhalation vent.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 21:47 on May 15, 2024

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Scarabrae posted:

I went to see Dune 2 with an N95 and it was fine, then my son wanted to see Godzilla so we all strapped masks on and went to see that, now we won’t be returning to a theater not because masks don’t work but because during godzilla I noticed some mice running around in the fancy AMC DINE IN theater, so masks work but I ain’t sitting in rat piss lmao
Yikes, maybe avoid the DINE IN theaters.

I’ve been regularly going to theaters for a while now masked, I’ve brought my Aranet to the various screens at my local AMC and the ventilation seems shockingly good, usually 600 consistently, never really rising much above that. Also checked out Alamo Drafthouse recently and ventilation seemed great there too. Theaters (without mice) FTW??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DominoKitten posted:

why thank u

My 3M SecureClick HF801SD Small, weighs 274 grams, an absolute unit.

great post, thanks for that. the ellipse is my lightest elastomeric (I have a secureclick/hf-800 and 6500ql too) so a great point of comparison

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Oracle posted:

I think Texas accidentally outlawed marriage while trying to ban same-sex marriage via state constitutional amendment at one point.

They also accidentally banned the Bible from schools during a book ban attempt.

And they banned publicly carrying or giving away drug paraphernalia like syringes pipes and naloxone.

Basically if it’s a stupid knee jerk ill-thought-out law with obvious unintended consequences even an idiot could have foreseen, it’s likely Texas.

Thanks! Still couldn't find it, but while looking I found this article:
"Emergency powers and the pandemic: Reflecting on state legislative reforms and the future of public health response"
:thumbsup:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh and by the way you can bet I complained about the mice and got a full refund! The only way to survive in Biden’s economy

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nice work Dominokitten. I'm considering buying few just in case Texas also do something stupid too like NC did.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Without knowing any details: yes, absolutely that happened.

Strep Vote posted:

Just throw a kkk hood on if any one gives you poo poo, apparently.
I'd rather get covid 🫠

DominoKitten posted:

Upsides:

* I hotboxed myself in my bathroom with a cheapo atomizer and Bitrex and can pass this janky qualitative test in it.

Downsides:

Thanks! How's the sizing? I could only get into the biggest SecureClick size because of my big dumb face.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

West Virginia senate president got voted out for refusing to back a law letting kids be exempted from vaccine requirements. Guess we’re gonna actually do this.

https://apnews.com/article/west-virginia-vaccine-gop-election-legislature-95d96057a834302b4525806b8591adb1

quote:

CHARLESTON, W.Va (AP) — West Virginia Republican voters ousted the state Senate president during Tuesday’s primary elections, as well as an incumbent doctor who drew fire for breaking with his party over school vaccination policy.

In the state’s eastern panhandle, U.S. Army Special Forces Green Beret veteran Tom Willis defeated Republican Senate President Craig Blair, who has helmed the chamber since 2021. And State Health and Human Resources Chair Sen. Mike Maroney was defeated by Chris Rose, a utility company electrician and former coal miner.

Maroney’s loss came after he publicly advocated against a bill pushed by the Republican caucus that would have allowed some students who don’t attend traditional public institutions or participate in group extracurriculars like sports to be exempt from vaccinations typically required for children starting day care or school.

West Virginia is only one of a handful of states in the U.S. that offers only medical exemptions to vaccine requirements. Maroney, a radiologist from Marshall County, called the bill “an embarrassment” on the Senate floor and said he believed lawmakers were harming the state.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Boy of Joy posted:

Yikes, maybe avoid the DINE IN theaters.

I’ve been regularly going to theaters for a while now masked, I’ve brought my Aranet to the various screens at my local AMC and the ventilation seems shockingly good, usually 600 consistently, never really rising much above that. Also checked out Alamo Drafthouse recently and ventilation seemed great there too. Theaters (without mice) FTW??

Wow. I really need to check out my local theater to see if I can get aranet readings that low. That's basically dining outdoors. I might even be down to to snack some if there's no one else in the theater.

I miss movie theaters so much, though I guess what I really miss is the shared experience (comedies are really only ever hilarious in a crowded theater IMO)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

DominoKitten posted:

Upsides:

Downsides:

Thanks for this review, I had no idea this even existed. Still the best and most helpful thread on the internet.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

They only carry one size but it's a very flexible size. I'm on the small side with a pathetic excuse for a chin, so for me the seal practically ends up at my neck instead of cupping my chin, yet it seems to work. (I'm also just barely on the low bridge side for FloMask fit.) I've tried to take some measurements for you:

78mm from the bottom of the nose seal to the top of the chin cup. 127mm from the top of the nose seal to the bottom of the chin cup. It's 127.7mm from side to side at rest, which is larger than my face width, so when it's on me it wraps around because of the pressure from the elastic; it could also do the opposite, I think, for a large face by bending out instead.

This is a picture on their site taken with a slightly downturned angle towards the seal, which makes the nose seal look longer than when face on and the open area look smaller:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I will not be wearing the Teletubbies mask, but unironic :thanks: for the information.