Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Why the hell can enemies even do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Blood 2 is like bad decision concentrate, everything good about the first game is gone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not fair, Stephan Weyte reprised his role.

Right? There's no way they hosed that up

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Overbite posted:

I enjoyed Hexen with the rebalance patch. It makes the centaurs not as annoying.

what's this?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Quake 4 kinda sucks, huh?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Quake bore

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FrumpleOrz posted:

"What if we took doom 3, the game that takes a really well-loved setting and then took all the fun out of the gameplay, and then did the same thing with that game that isn't particularly well loved! And added vehicle sections!"

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

"What if we took doom 3, the game that takes a really well-loved setting and then took all the fun out of the gameplay, and then did the same thing with that game that isn't particularly well loved! And added vehicle sections!"

Oh god, there are vehicle sections? I think I'd rather play Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter at this point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Quake 4 was very mediocre but then the single player arcadey shooter genre was so dead after that we are still talking about Quake 4.

Unreal 2 also sucks, and so does Pariah, but they don't have the Quake brand on them so nobody has to make excuses for their mediocrity.

Edit: To post about some games from that era that I actually really like, I've been replaying Star Trek: Elite Force recently and think it might be one of the newest shooters that does not use spacebar to jump. Really surprised by the default controls being WASD for movement but X is jump, especially because it has you do a decent amount of platforming. Now I'm also thinking really hard if Elite Force 1 is a better game than Quake 4, because I enjoyed it more both at release and 20 years later, but it's clearly rougher around the edges (and a full 5 years older than Quake 4).

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 15, 2024

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

I played using an older version of this

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/106372-hexen-rebalanced-a-subtle-balance-mod-for-hexen-beta-7/

It changes quite a few things so Hexen purists might not be into it but I thought it was alright.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I remember moving heaven and earth to obtain a copy of Blood 2 back in the late 90's; I went through a lot to get that boxed copy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember moving heaven and earth to obtain a copy of Blood 2 back in the late 90's; I went through a lot to get that boxed copy.

Ouch. I mean we've all done something similar. Just... nothing that bad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah Caldwell Gervais' analysis of Quake's plot is legitimately one of the favorite things on youtube. Just completely and utterly bonkers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also keep in mind that while Quake 4 improves at around the 3/5ths through the game mark, its going from like a 2/5 to a 3/5 score. Its not saving the game, it just becomes what it should have been as a baseline to even reach "mediocre".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

a phyrric victory

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quake 4 is sooooo boring

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Quake 4 was a mess shoveled out the door after a protracted and fairly ugly development process. There was supposed to be DLC that would have let them implement some of the cooler things they originally targeted but the game didn’t hit its sales target so that was cancelled. There is some justice in the universe - FEAR, released on the same day, sold twice as many copies.

edit: It wasn’t just Quake 4, id’s track record between Quake III Arena and Doom 2016 was rickety as hell, including both of their collaborations with Raven

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 15, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want more FEAR 1 or Trepang 2, Im not picky!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GOG has a sale on a few store exclusives at the moment (https://www.gog.com/en/promo/20240514_shooter_sale), including

Clive Barker's Undying £1.20
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault £2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six £2.20
The Wheel of Time £3.50

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Be warned that this release is one of the few GOG releases that doesn't officially support modern versions of Windows after Win7. Your milage will vary.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

quake 4 makes the mistake of making the default gameplay feel pretty bad because they know your move and jumpspeed is gonna get upgraded later. but its upgraded like 3 hours into the game. eventually it becomes a quake game but you gotta get thru a lot of weird milsim stuff and vehicle segments to get to it

the art design and environmental detail is great though. i loved seeing the weird strogg infrastructure and all the incidental dialogue in the home base.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Quake 4 was a very mid game at release that just didn't age well. I was really into Quake 2 and the Strogg stuff at the time so it clicked for me but it's hard to recommend to anyone in 2024.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

shoeberto posted:

Quake 4 was a very mid game at release that just didn't age well. I was really into Quake 2 and the Strogg stuff at the time so it clicked for me but it's hard to recommend to anyone in 2024.

I’d argue that as it shipped and was released Quake II got only a slightly worse sequel than it deserved. Though the remaster and MachineGames’s levels make me think there could be life in the old franchise yet with the right developers…

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My dream idea of a New Quake would be Doom 2016 / Eternal, but it's all Lovecraftian stuff, like everything from Quake 1, but beyond the first maps of each episode.

Sure, put in some tech, and I know it might ape Doom 2016's whole "we tried to harness the dark power!" stuff, but I'd love some sort of insanely creepy, yet fast and fluent, Stephen King-esque eldritch horror shooter.

Also, one thing I appreciate about Quake 1, and I don't even know if it was intentional, is how the rocket launcher looks like it was designed by some science-minded scribe from maybe 800 years ago, like if Ian Abercrombie's character in Army Of Darkness got a chance to design it. Of course, I'm speaking only in terms of how it looks from your viewpoint when you're holding it. The actual item when you pick it up looks a bit more modern.

I also love how there are these borderline-fantastical weapons (and ammo!) strewn throughout this hosed up nightmare landscape.

"Travel onward, ranger, straight into the portal from this other-worldly hell, but do be sure to grab the box of nails and the energy cells beforehand"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was super intrigued by the wheel of time fps back when it came out but I never got around to playing it. It could only support 4 players multi which was a turn off

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Barudak posted:

Call of the Machine fuckin rules. I already said it Im just repeating it.

The one map where you start with a BFG and like fifty fodder enemies to go through fuckin rules.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bbcisdabomb posted:

The one map where you start with a BFG and like fifty fodder enemies to go through fuckin rules.

Yeah that was the first time I think the q2 bfg10k really got a chance to show what it could do, the main campaign has very very few times where the BFG is more efficient damage per cell than the hyper blaster.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Huh I thought I already owned allied assault but I do now. Thanks

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Undying is great, absolutely pick that up if you don't already have it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1790589264859963407

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

site posted:

Huh I thought I already owned allied assault but I do now. Thanks

This unlocked a core memory, where I had to choose between getting MOHAA or AVP2 as my reward for getting a few good report cards in a row in school.

I chose MOHAA, which is a pretty drat good game! To this day I haven’t played either of the AVP games though…maybe I should get on that soon.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

There are three - two by Rebellion, the first from ~2000 that’s gotten a re-release that fixes a game-breaking bug with the renderer on versions of DirectX past 8.1 or so, and the 2010 one, as well as the Monolith-developed AvP 2 that’s now more or less officially abandonware, which is my favorite. Cheers!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kinda weird nobody's done anything with it in so long. I feel like it's got the potential for amazing MP. A squad of marines, a predator and a dozen aliens or so and just 3 way battle it out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kinda weird nobody's done anything with it in so long. I feel like it's got the potential for amazing MP. A squad of marines, a predator and a dozen aliens or so and just 3 way battle it out.

Asymmetrical multiplayer games are hard to balance (in a very real sense you can’t please everyone) and if you gently caress it up to start with, most of your audience vanishes and never comes back. Evolve is probably the worst example of this where the game stifled under a bunch of microtransaction crap. Funny enough there was actually a Predator vs mercs in the jungle type MP game a couple years ago. It went the same way on a smaller scale.

Left 4 Dead pulled it off, there’s probably more recent stuff I can’t think of.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Last time I tried to replay Quake 4 the lighting was broken. By which I mean, there were no shadows.

Fullbright Quake 4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Good, shadows are for cowards

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Last time I tried to replay Quake 4 the lighting was broken. By which I mean, there were no shadows.

Fullbright Quake 4

Sounds better than the obnoxious dark stuff in the game proper. I don't know why I keep playing this game but I'm gonna finish it at this point. Maybe I'll actually play a good Quake game past the first stage afterward.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

skasion posted:

Asymmetrical multiplayer games are hard to balance (in a very real sense you can’t please everyone) and if you gently caress it up to start with, most of your audience vanishes and never comes back. Evolve is probably the worst example of this where the game stifled under a bunch of microtransaction crap. Funny enough there was actually a Predator vs mercs in the jungle type MP game a couple years ago. It went the same way on a smaller scale.

Left 4 Dead pulled it off, there’s probably more recent stuff I can’t think of.

It's a pity there was no (official) Slayer v Slayer for Doom Eternal, or Slayer + Slayer vs AI demons for highest kill count, or even Demon Battle Royale

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead By Daylight is the reigning crown of asymmetrical multiplayer at the moment I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

God drat, Quake 4 really does pick up halfway through. It's still not a great game by any means but it's definitely become more exciting and interesting. It's so weird to see a Quake game trying to incorporate Half-Life stuff into it though and it doesn't work. It's the most 2005 game I've seen in ages.