Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Lysandus posted:

I'm trying to remember some game where you shoot and maybe drive a tank. I think there were aiming lines on the screen, maybe a targeting box? I want to say it was WW2 to modern based? It's possible I'm thinking of a Call of Duty level but I feel like it was deeper than an CoD level. Or even worse I'm thinking of a Battlefield game? Have there been some a lot of tank games?

Battlezone or Countermeasure

Pierzak posted:

recent or recent-ish game (last decade)
on PC
one-word title
Steam library screen for it had a screaming guy that looked like half-changed into a bone/tree-looking construct without eyes
likely horror or horror-themed, but I forgot what it was called so I can't check :shobon:

ed: I'm an idiot and forgot Steam lets you search your library by store tags, it was Darkwood.

Darkwood

wizard2 posted:

Years ago, there was a Kickstarter for a Playstation 1 style 2D/3D mix game that looked and played like a recreation of Final Fantasy Tactics, except on a space station. Had bald jumpsuit dudes like Alien 3 or the Paranoia RPG maybe? except doing the little low frame count FFT idle jig on the blocky 3d battle map.

I have no idea if it was funded or not, or if it ever saw the light of day. Any ideas?

Space Final Fantasy Tactics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

...! posted:

Darkwood

you don't say

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sagebrush posted:

you don't say

I'm good :smug:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lysandus posted:

I'm trying to remember some game where you shoot and maybe drive a tank. I think there were aiming lines on the screen, maybe a targeting box? I want to say it was WW2 to modern based? It's possible I'm thinking of a Call of Duty level but I feel like it was deeper than an CoD level. Or even worse I'm thinking of a Battlefield game? Have there been some a lot of tank games?

Probably obvious but there's war thunder and world of tanks? Those aside there are a few simmy tank commander ganes, but the only one I remember easily is Sprocket, which is more like KSP for tanks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aiming lines make me think of Comanche but that's a helicopter, not a tank... And also really, really old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lysandus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1705180/Gunner_HEAT_PC/ there's gunner heat pc if it wasnt multiplayer

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I haven't played any of the more recent ones but I remember Operation Flashpoint having a lot of in depth tank stuff that took multiple players to operate.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 12, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got two games that flashed randomly into memory the last couple days.

One is from the very early PS1 days - might even be launch-era. It was an FPS where you were in a vehicle of some kind: your view tilted when turning and moving forward/backward, and in fact you only looked straight forward when you moved forward - when stopped your screen was mostly black skybox from looking 30-45 degrees upward by default. Very dark, monochrome environments. The second or third level might have had a really irritating key-hunt? I didn't play much of it.

The other is early Dreamcast - again maybe launch-era. It was a top-down run-and-gun game where your primary armaments were bombs of different colors & effects - you started with blue, then got red & yellow ones throughout the level. One of the first couple levels was basically running around on wire catwalks above a factory floor of some kind, I think. Felt a bit like some weird 3D Bomberman knockoff with a more typically human (if still anime) protagonist.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

First one might be Space Griffon VF-9?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ciaphas posted:

The other is early Dreamcast - again maybe launch-era. It was a top-down run-and-gun game where your primary armaments were bombs of different colors & effects - you started with blue, then got red & yellow ones throughout the level. One of the first couple levels was basically running around on wire catwalks above a factory floor of some kind, I think. Felt a bit like some weird 3D Bomberman knockoff with a more typically human (if still anime) protagonist.

This one might be Expendable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

First one might be Space Griffon VF-9?
Looks familiar, but I don't think that's the one. In the one I'm thinking of you moved quite a lot faster, at least forward & backwards - whatever the vehicle you were in was (I don't remember ever seeing it as the player), it had the turning circle of an 18-wheeler and the acceleration of a bugatti veyron

Paying2Lurk posted:

This one might be Expendable.
In my memory the game was much more saturated & colorful but otherwise this is lining up! :cheers:

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Ciaphas posted:

Looks familiar, but I don't think that's the one. In the one I'm thinking of you moved quite a lot faster, at least forward & backwards - whatever the vehicle you were in was (I don't remember ever seeing it as the player), it had the turning circle of an 18-wheeler and the acceleration of a bugatti veyron

My best guess here is a tank game I used to have called Assault Rigs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ciaphas posted:

Kileak: The DNA Imperative?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I used to play this game on a computer at school, probably 1996-1998 or so but it could have been older. You basically either had to travel through a castle or possibly a mad scientist lab and collect parts to do...something. I think you played a kid and it was somewhat point and click. I also remember a small robot that may have been with you or you may have been building the robot. I thought it was called Maniac Mansion forever but looking at it that definitely wasn't the game. The graphics were less cartoony.

I do believe Mansion might have been in the title but I'm not sure because googling brings up nothing.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

In my memory the game was much more saturated & colorful but otherwise this is lining up! :cheers:

Shadowmaster?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I used to play this game on a computer at school, probably 1996-1998 or so but it could have been older. You basically either had to travel through a castle or possibly a mad scientist lab and collect parts to do...something. I think you played a kid and it was somewhat point and click. I also remember a small robot that may have been with you or you may have been building the robot. I thought it was called Maniac Mansion forever but looking at it that definitely wasn't the game. The graphics were less cartoony.

I do believe Mansion might have been in the title but I'm not sure because googling brings up nothing.

My first thought was the Castle of Dr Brain, but that is pretty cartoony in that glorious early 90s Sierra way.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Scooter's Magic Castle

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

cmndstab posted:

My first thought was the Castle of Dr Brain, but that is pretty cartoony in that glorious early 90s Sierra way.

No this was it! Thank you so much!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud-vD7VmV0Y dr sulfur's night lab?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh rip

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Castle of Dr. Brain is an excellent example of a theme song that absolutely fuckin rips beyond any reasonable expectation

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

ALFbrot posted:

Castle of Dr. Brain is an excellent example of a theme song that absolutely fuckin rips beyond any reasonable expectation

The way PC sound suddenly evolved with Adlib sound cards in the late 80s to become an artform in its own right in the early 90s always amazes me. There were some serious bops in the DOS era, and Sierra were as good as any at it.

It's unrelated to any requests in the thread, but one of my favourite unreasonably good soundtracks to an old crusty DOS game with a production team of around five people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJaUh_GmuBg&list=PLA7A8EBC29009E62B

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Got two games that flashed randomly into memory the last couple days.

One is from the very early PS1 days - might even be launch-era. It was an FPS where you were in a vehicle of some kind: your view tilted when turning and moving forward/backward, and in fact you only looked straight forward when you moved forward - when stopped your screen was mostly black skybox from looking 30-45 degrees upward by default. Very dark, monochrome environments. The second or third level might have had a really irritating key-hunt? I didn't play much of it.

Tunnel B1

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

cmndstab posted:

The way PC sound suddenly evolved with Adlib sound cards in the late 80s to become an artform in its own right in the early 90s always amazes me. There were some serious bops in the DOS era, and Sierra were as good as any at it.

It's unrelated to any requests in the thread, but one of my favourite unreasonably good soundtracks to an old crusty DOS game with a production team of around five people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJaUh_GmuBg&list=PLA7A8EBC29009E62B

I was expecting Whale's Voyage.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I hadn't heard it before but the bit I listened to sounds pretty good.

Although I had to laugh when I clicked on a random track ("Painful Loneliness") and it was just the Skunny Kart theme. I guess they re-used it?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This one was a demo I played in the mid-aughts. I recall downloading the demo alongside Temple of Elemental Evil demo. It was an isometric RPG with a graphical style very similar to Pillars of Eternity in that the levels are detailed pre-rendered scenes and the characters are 3D models. I only recall one character, a woman with fiery red hair. The only plot beats I recall is that you're at an abandoned castle with a wizard who tells you about the power to shift between realities so the gameplay involved phasing between the real world and spirit world but I don't recall anything else.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

cmndstab posted:

I hadn't heard it before but the bit I listened to sounds pretty good.

Although I had to laugh when I clicked on a random track ("Painful Loneliness") and it was just the Skunny Kart theme. I guess they re-used it?

I had completely forgotten they used that bit. It wasn't specifically made for either game, but just a piece Hannes Seifert did. I'm pretty sure it's been used for cracks as well.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Farg posted:

This one was a demo I played in the mid-aughts. I recall downloading the demo alongside Temple of Elemental Evil demo. It was an isometric RPG with a graphical style very similar to Pillars of Eternity in that the levels are detailed pre-rendered scenes and the characters are 3D models. I only recall one character, a woman with fiery red hair. The only plot beats I recall is that you're at an abandoned castle with a wizard who tells you about the power to shift between realities so the gameplay involved phasing between the real world and spirit world but I don't recall anything else.

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

It's actually a pretty neat ARPG, you gain skills by using items (each item has some skill associated with it) and as you mention the spirit world shifting is fairly unique.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang!

What's this NES game I'm thinking of? I think it was overhead, and played kinda like Legend of Zelda. You could go to shops and haggle with the shopkeeper. If you haggled too much they'd get angry with you (there was a portrait of the shopkeep). I feel like the shopkeeper wore a turban but am not sure...

I think it was either in a forest or at least a part of the beginning took place in a forest. I feel like I could never get out of the forest. I only played this at my cousin's house when I was like six or seven years old...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

credburn posted:

Hey gang!

What's this NES game I'm thinking of? I think it was overhead, and played kinda like Legend of Zelda. You could go to shops and haggle with the shopkeeper. If you haggled too much they'd get angry with you (there was a portrait of the shopkeep). I feel like the shopkeeper wore a turban but am not sure...

I think it was either in a forest or at least a part of the beginning took place in a forest. I feel like I could never get out of the forest. I only played this at my cousin's house when I was like six or seven years old...

Gotta be The Magic of Scheherazade. You can haggle with the merchants and it’s Arabian Nights-themed

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gotta be The Magic of Scheherazade. You can haggle with the merchants and it’s Arabian Nights-themed

That's it! Thanks!

This game plays a lot more like Metal Gear than Zelda...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Flinger posted:

Tunnel B1

That's it!!! Less monochrome than I remembered but I definitely recognize the way everything is moving

Had no idea it had a steam release lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 18, 2024

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I remember picking this game off the rental shelf at random back in '87 or so. It was bizarre.

There was one spell that transformed your enemies into hamburgers.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Gynovore posted:

I remember picking this game off the rental shelf at random back in '87 or so. It was bizarre.

Fun trivia: In the original japanese release the spell turned enemies in to sushi or rice balls or something, probably.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gynovore posted:

It was a pretty elaborate game for the nes honestly with the time travel mechanic for each of the worlds. Somehow or another we figured out you could enter w5 as a password and go straight to the last world which was cool

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pneub posted:

Fun trivia: In the original japanese release the spell turned enemies in to sushi or rice balls or something, probably.

Jelly doughnuts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gynovore posted:

This sounds exactly like the type of game you forget about and then weird poo poo like this forever stays in your brain, and you come to a thread like this and ask about it.

I played the poo poo out of Bio Miracle as a kid, thanks to a local rental store getting in some bootleg famicom carts (and I already had a converter from owning another bootleg famicom compilation, 31-in-1), and for years, before the Internet was what it is today, I'd try and try to find that "weird baby mario game where you shook your bottle at animals, and you could inflate them and then ride them as they floated around in the air".

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was a pretty elaborate game for the nes honestly with the time travel mechanic for each of the worlds. Somehow or another we figured out you could enter w5 as a password and go straight to the last world which was cool

That sounds like something you'd find in one of those Nintendo Power passwords-for-everything guides.

... I wonder where I put my NP collection.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IMJack posted:

That sounds like something you'd find in one of those Nintendo Power passwords-for-everything guides.

... I wonder where I put my NP collection.

*Chuckles* Oh you mean this?

…And there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Chuckles* Oh you mean this?
I still have my copy, too. :kiddo: