Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's slightly more metagamey to take Raphael's deal then break in later, since you get the Hammer right away (a decent 1h mace in its own right) and don't have to pass the DC30 check to get Lae'zel's big gamer girl weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's slightly more metagamey to take Raphael's deal then break in later, since you get the Hammer right away (a decent 1h mace in its own right) and don't have to pass the DC30 check to get Lae'zel's big gamer girl weapon.

i don't remember any dc 30 checks. i usually tell raphael to beat it, tell lae'zel we're gonna get the hammer the hard way, tell voss we're gonna bust in and steal the hammer, and then he gives her the silver sword when you present the hammer in the sewers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can deceive Voss to get Lae’zel’s silver sword and have the weapon for pretty much all of Act 3 right away.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

aha.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just finished a second playthrough with my partner, who has a completely different playstyle than me! For instance, he gets his eye poked out by Volo and romanced Lae'zel, including going the Githyanki route. I was pleasantly surprised with the Cool Githyanki ending, where they are good guys.

Then last night I completed my first game on my own, playing a life cleric; I'll do light next, with all the recent talk about it. In this game, Astarion and I were tight, and I played slightly differently than my previous complete good person, including getting tortured by Abdirak for the Loviatar Love buff just to get approval.

I have to say the worst encounter in this game for me is the submarine rescues. :gonk: Pretty much all the fights I understand enough, though I haven't played higher than balanced.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was not expecting to have to slaughter goblin children, but you can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter.'

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

Then last night I completed my first game on my own, playing a life cleric; I'll do light next, with all the recent talk about it. In this game, Astarion and I were tight, and I played slightly differently than my previous complete good person, including getting tortured by Abdirak for the Loviatar Love buff just to get approval.

My Tav had that bonus on this current playthrough, and then he was downed during a fight. When I revived him, he didn't seem to have that bonus anymore.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Janissary Hop posted:

Even if we accept the fleetingness of the pain is accurate and not just a result of being unable to accurately or consistently depict it in a videogame, it still means that Shadowheart is directly tied to one of the most evil gods in the setting for the rest of her life. Would you trust Shar with that kind of access to you to just leave it at some sporadic pain, forever?

If the alternative was let my parents die? Compared to all the poo poo my companions are dealing with, I'd take that bet, any day.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

You can deceive Voss to get Lae’zel’s silver sword and have the weapon for pretty much all of Act 3 right away.

Or you could do what I did and get it in Act 1 by drinking a strength elixir and an invisibility potion before smacking Voss with a disarming attack. Lae'zel been eating GOOD with that thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
D&D is such a stupid system. The game gives me an insanely high level spell, Power Word Kill, and limits it to one use ever because it's supposed to be such a big deal, and the spell is still a worse use of a single action than spending it on just me whacking a dude with a sword.

EDIT: Also it's an INT spell? When basically every class will have INT as a dump stat?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 15, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

D&D is such a stupid system. The game gives me an insanely high level spell, Power Word Kill, and limits it to one use ever because it's supposed to be such a big deal, and the spell is still a worse use of a single action than spending it on just me whacking a dude with a sword.

EDIT: Also it's an INT spell? When basically every class will have INT as a dump stat?

you always have to keep in mind the subtext of all three games that the dead three are dumb as poo poo and not very powerful, e.g., the slayer also sucks. i think it's a funny running joke.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Zodium posted:

you always have to keep in mind the subtext of all three games that the dead three are dumb as poo poo and not very powerful, e.g., the slayer also sucks. i think it's a funny running joke.

That's fair.
I do wonder if Slayer Form is bad on purpose or not.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

That's fair.
I do wonder if Slayer Form is bad on purpose or not.

that's a BG2 reference where it sucks too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's a BG2 reference where it sucks too

That's very funny.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bg1 has the chosen of bhaal defeated by a guy who's like level 8 and has never set foot outside the monastery

and also, a bg1 level 8 is like a level 5 in bg3 terms

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

drat saw like 50 new posts overnight and thought the new patch dropped. Nope we are just obsessive degens

Nihonniboku posted:

My Tav had that bonus on this current playthrough, and then he was downed during a fight. When I revived him, he didn't seem to have that bonus anymore.

Yeah if you die (like you get the skull on your portrait not just knocked out) it’s gone for good. There are a handful of weird buffs that persist through rests but not death

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I wish you could customize your armor to looks other armor in the same category, I'm not a fan of the Robe of the Weave's look.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Zodium posted:

bg1 has the chosen of bhaal defeated by a guy who's like level 8 and has never set foot outside the monastery

This could be a Baki character tbh. Or any Martial Arts movie before they were consumed by the Action genre.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cash Monet posted:

I wish you could customize your armor to looks other armor in the same category, I'm not a fan of the Robe of the Weave's look.

Mods for extra dyes and to make Dyes not consumed on use are a GODSEND for making ugly equipment look a bit more tolerable. It's just a shame it doesn't work on weapons or shields - I desperately want to dye Ketheric's shield to something else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I guess I'm always going to accidentally smash the firewine barrels while I'm searching the regular barrels next to them. Blown myself up so many times now.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I was not expecting to have to slaughter goblin children, but you can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter.'

it's okay, goblins aren't people! or as Gary gygax would say: nits beget fleas

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

What do you call a drow's knickers?

Undergarments!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I guess I'm always going to accidentally smash the firewine barrels while I'm searching the regular barrels next to them. Blown myself up so many times now.

Yeah I still do this loving constantly

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, this is a dilemma. Turns out the buff that lets you freely roam the House of Hope doesn't play well with an expanded party size - regardless of the size of your party, it only applies the buff to four of your party members. Which means as soon as anyone past the first four get spotted, you aggro everything as if none of you had the buff.

Am I going to just have to choose between fighting everything immediately, or leaving everyone past the first four people back in the first room for now? Or is there a way to get the buff to play nice with bigger parties?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are actually some additional servant outfits you can find hidden in wardrobes around the House of Hope that your other party members will be able to wear, if you can scout ahead.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, this is a dilemma. Turns out the buff that lets you freely roam the House of Hope doesn't play well with an expanded party size - regardless of the size of your party, it only applies the buff to four of your party members. Which means as soon as anyone past the first four get spotted, you aggro everything as if none of you had the buff.

Am I going to just have to choose between fighting everything immediately, or leaving everyone past the first four people back in the first room for now? Or is there a way to get the buff to play nice with bigger parties?

There are 4(?) more outfits scattered around the zone in wardrobes. So you should be able to outfit most or all of your posse if you have someone properly disguised to get them all first.

e: Google also has some console commands you can use to spawn more outfits or directly apply the buff if you really need to outfit everyone

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 15, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Docjowles posted:

There are 4(?) more outfits scattered around the zone in wardrobes. So you should be able to outfit most or all of your posse if you have someone properly disguised to get them all first.

e: Google also has some console commands you can use to spawn more outfits or directly apply the buff if you really need to outfit everyone

Aha, perfect, thanks. I didn't know there were more outfits; by the time I got here in my first run, I had stopped looting everything not nailed down. So even if I found them, I probably didn't take note of them.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes I believe if you die such that you have to be resurrected via scroll you lose all permanent buffs. Being downed then helped up or healed shouldn't make them go away

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So at the very start of my gaming session today my Tav spotted a repulsion mine on the Rosymorn Monetary trail. I selected Astarion to disarm it. This made Tav decide to immediately run straight into the mine she just spotted. It threw her off a cliff and she died.

I was annoyed at the incredibly dumb AI but decided to take it in stride as I haven't had to use a revive scroll until now. I got her back, then played on, killed some eagles, some undead, met a certain famous wizard, talked to Voss at camp, and I'm now in the shadow-cursed lands where I met a guy with a lot of eyes and legs. Then I stopped and checked this thread. And learned I lost all permanent buffs. :suicide:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You won't lose all of them, stuff like +1 ASI and the eyeballs are permanent. Just Loviatar's Love from Act 1 and Githrezai Mind Barrier from Act 2.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
there are some mods that change those buffs to features so they stick around after death

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Aha, perfect, thanks. I didn't know there were more outfits; by the time I got here in my first run, I had stopped looting everything not nailed down. So even if I found them, I probably didn't take note of them.

Are you okay? Do you need someone to talk to?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You get tricked at the end of act 2 into thinking you have enough money. Or at least I did. Got all the good gear, roll into act 3 thinking you’re set with like 12k gold banked. Oh sick some new armor what’s it cost—7k what the absolute fuuuuuuck. Back to looting everything including the stupid tongs worth 1 gold I guess.

Then at some point mid act 3 you get back over the hump and even buying a giant nude statue of yourself doesn’t put a dent in your fortune

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Docjowles posted:

You get tricked at the end of act 2 into thinking you have enough money. Or at least I did. Got all the good gear, roll into act 3 thinking you’re set with like 12k gold banked. Oh sick some new armor what’s it cost—7k what the absolute fuuuuuuck. Back to looting everything including the stupid tongs worth 1 gold I guess.

Then at some point mid act 3 you get back over the hump and even buying a giant nude statue of yourself doesn’t put a dent in your fortune

Yup!

For my third playthrough, I just would just loot everything, sell everything, buy everything, then quaff an invisibility potion and steal all my gold back until I bored!

In hindsight, all the gold+item through thievery vs normal inventory management never actually gave me an advantage except for stockpiling Arrows of Slaying for Laezel as Archery Fighter, which did rule.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Honestly the main thing that slows me down from just starting yet another run is all the inventory tedium. I mean, I’m an RPG player. Of course I am going to loot and sell every god damned piece of trash I can find including cooked dwarf meat and bloodstained papers. Which seemingly normal people are willing to buy for some reason. But if you go full loot goblin the time spent simply looting poo poo really adds up.

I do always feel a little :3: when Astarion says “let’s hope for gold!” and then it is in fact gold

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 16, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Honestly the main thing that slows me down from just starting yet another run is all the inventory tedium. I mean, I’m an RPG player. Of course I am going to loot and sell every god damned piece of trash I can find including cooked dwarf meat and bloodstained papers. Which seemingly normal people are willing to buy for some reason. But if you go full loot goblin the time spent simply looting poo poo really adds up.

Ay, boss! How the hell are ya? Got another shipment of Severed Pelvis in for me? :homebrew:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Docjowles posted:

I do always feel a little :3: when Astarion says “let’s hope for gold!” and then it is in fact gold

Same. My first run was 120 hours and 90 of them were me clicking "add to wares"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I made it a rule when my brother and I play to not loot while we're both on, that way we can make progress. Then when he is unavailable I go back and loot everything to sell.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Leal posted:

I made it a rule when my brother and I play to not loot while we're both on, that way we can make progress. Then when he is unavailable I go back and loot everything to sell.

I hope your bro appreciates your dillegence :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If I were on PC I would download a mod that just auto-golds all vendor trash, but at that point I should probably just say "gently caress it" and turn prices all the way down in custom options. I wish I could turn equip load for non-equipped items off in options. It's just not fun in videogames.