Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Sat down at my computer tonight and things were randomly not looking so good:

GPU is an MSI Gaming Trio 4090 connected via DisplayPort. Tried multiple DP cables in both ports and reinstalling drivers, but the issue remains. HDMI works fine! Any suggestions or do I need to try and RMA this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Open an RMA case, then put a fresh Windows 11 install on a spare disk if you have one and see if you get the same issue in games. By the time you figure out if it's an install-related issue or not, MSI will have finally gotten back to you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I had a similar but intermittent issue and it took a month of back and forth with nvidia reps to get an RMA despite me having done all their steps prior to contacting them during the months it was happening.

I also have to ship it directly to hong kong lmao.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Might be cheaper to take a week's vacation to Hong Kong and drop the drat thing off at the warehouse yourself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MintFresh posted:

I won a Starforge PC off a twitch NFL draft contest. It's nowhere as good as my current PC (I have a 7800x3d AM5 set up) except the GPU.

I currently have a 2080 Ti that I've had since 2019. The games I do play haven't really required much more power than that.

The PC I won comes comes with a 4060 Ti but it's the 8GB version. I looked up benchmarks and they trade blows depending on the games.

I play on a 1440p 170hz monitor and I worry about the 8GB of VRAM being limiting. I am enticed with the better NVEC (AV1 encoding!), the wattage comparison (150~ less watts), and the new DLSS features introduced into the 4000 series (frame generation I think?).

Am I overthinking the VRAM part? I have a feeling in newer games that the 4060 Ti 8GB will end up better except for the VRAM. I plan to use the Starforge PC in the living room as an extra workstation so it does not matter which videocard it gets.

edit: Saw it was actually 150watts difference

In your shoes I would probably stick with the 2080 Ti. Mostly because if you're thinking of selling the prize it's going to be a lot easier to unload it as a complete thing with a relatively recent card in it, and then you can push that money towards a better GPU upgrade than a 4060TI.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

XeSS is great in The Witcher 3 Next Gen on the Steam Deck. Quite impressed with the image quality even though it's upscaling to a low 1280x720 (it renders a 16:9 image inside the 16:10 screen).

Just updated to the 1.3 DLL that was recently released, the one that renamed the quality levels. TW3 had Ultra Quality (1.3x) as the highest preset with its original DLL (1.1?), but I'm not sure if it's selecting the new Ultra Quality Plus (1.3x) or the new Ultra Quality (1.5x) resolution ratio now. Regardless, the image seems better in fine detail in motion (grass & trees, which the game loves to keep in constant motion).

I hope more games use XeSS just to have more gpu-neutral upscaling/aa options as it's clearly better than FSR 2 in this game at least.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
XeSS has better image quality than FSR2 but does run a bit slower. A worthwhile tradeoff in the vast majority of games for the vast majority of people.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Kazinsal posted:

Open an RMA case, then put a fresh Windows 11 install on a spare disk if you have one and see if you get the same issue in games. By the time you figure out if it's an install-related issue or not, MSI will have finally gotten back to you.

It was even happening with the motherboard splash screen during the boot sequence! I just rebooted to grab a screenshot showing the issue in the BIOS, and of course now it's working fine...even in Windows. Weird!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kibner posted:

XeSS has better image quality than FSR2 but does run a bit slower. A worthwhile tradeoff in the vast majority of games for the vast majority of people.
Yeah I'm running Cyberpunk 2077 on a RX 6700 with XeSS, I can accept the minor performance hit compared to FSR2.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The American government is planning on raising taxes on aluminium, steel, advanced batteries, and semiconductors from China.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

I had a similar but intermittent issue and it took a month of back and forth with nvidia reps to get an RMA despite me having done all their steps prior to contacting them during the months it was happening.

I also have to ship it directly to hong kong lmao.

FE card I’m assuming, because I had to do exactly the same thing when my 3080ti started shutting off at random. They did pay for the shipping at least but it took a lot of back and forth with emails to nvidia support who were pretty poo poo. After a couple of weeks with no notice a courier dropped off a brand new card to my address.

Really if they want to get rid of the AIB partners they really need better support. Because at least if I’d went with an AIB card it would’ve went through a retailer instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The American government is planning on raising taxes on aluminium, steel, advanced batteries, and semiconductors from China.

"Lol thanks for the excuse to jack up prices even more"
- Every company that uses semiconductors aka every company.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Sooooo, buy a video card now????? And other PC parts???

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

For gently caress's sake :ssj:

I can't buy now, I'm waiting for the next gen of both cpus and gpus

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was looking into getting the RTX 4080 Super. The model I was looking at was the MSI RTX 4080 SUPER 16G VENTUS 3X OC. It seems to have two DP 1.4a ports and two HDMI 2.1a ports versus the normal three DP 1.4a ports and one HDMI 2.1a port.

Are monitors getting HDMI 2.1 support or is displayport still king?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

When Americans travel to Mexico to buy their affordable medicine they can pick up cheaper computer parts too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

I was looking into getting the RTX 4080 Super. The model I was looking at was the MSI RTX 4080 SUPER 16G VENTUS 3X OC. It seems to have two DP 1.4a ports and two HDMI 2.1a ports versus the normal three DP 1.4a ports and one HDMI 2.1a port.

Are monitors getting HDMI 2.1 support or is displayport still king?

Most high-refresh 4K monitors have HDMI 2.1 ports. Many super high refresh 1440p monitors do too (240+ hz), though sometimes it may be cut down from the full bandwidth. Some 1440p monitors in the 160 - 180hz range only have HDMI 2.0, which can only support 1440p at 144hz without compression. Some of these monitors will just hard cap you at 144hz over HDMI, though others will use Display Stream Compression (DSC), which is a "visually lossless" compression technique that really is practically lossless (you need the eyes of a fighter pilot to see a difference in still images). Incidentally, all of these recent 165 - 240hz 4K monitors we're seeing require DSC over either input to attain their max refresh rate.

The upshot here is that most modern gaming monitors offer their full functionality over HDMI. The exception are a handful of 1440p displays that are just over 144hz and didn't bother supporting 2.1 for the modest refresh rate boost.

edit: May have undersold the number of 1440p monitors that max out at 144hz over HDMI. Every 1440p monitor with a max refresh rate of 160 - 180hz that rtings has tested only does 144hz over HDMI. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/137709

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 15, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

When Americans travel to Mexico to buy their affordable medicine they can pick up cheaper computer parts too.

There's a Chinese EV company that is literally setting up in Mexico to sidestep these tariffs lol.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most high-refresh 4K monitors have HDMI 2.1 ports. Many super high refresh 1440p monitors do too (240+ hz), though sometimes it may be cut down from the full bandwidth. Some 1440p monitors in the 160 - 180hz range only have HDMI 2.0, which can only support 1440p at 144hz without compression. Some of these monitors will just hard cap you at 144hz over HDMI, though others will use Display Stream Compression (DSC), which is a "visually lossless" compression technique that really is practically lossless (you need the eyes of a fighter pilot to see a difference in still images). Incidentally, all of these recent 165 - 240hz 4K monitors we're seeing require DSC over either input to attain their max refresh rate.

The upshot here is that most modern gaming monitors offer their full functionality over HDMI. The exception are a handful of 1440p displays that are just over 144hz and didn't bother supporting 2.1 for the modest refresh rate boost.

edit: May have undersold the number of 1440p monitors that max out at 144hz over HDMI. Every 1440p monitor with a max refresh rate of 160 - 180hz that rtings has tested only does 144hz over HDMI. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/137709

Thank you for the knowledgeable post. I looked up DSC for further information and I didn’t realize it was like opening pandora box in technical terms lol.

I ended up buying the MSI 4080 Super Ventus. It boosts well and the temperatures are far superior than my old EVGA 2080 Ti dual fan, the biggest disappointment that I realized is the power limit is locked. I knew during the 2080 Ti series that there was a 300A vs 300 chip but I didn’t realize they still locked chips.

Further research says that power limit doesn’t matter with these chips (4080 supers don’t get much by upping power limit) so I shouldnt return and just go for the ASUS TUF series instead? I undervolted my 2080 ti and I might do the same to this card

Also this card is insane. Playing valorant with a capped 200 fps (I’m playing on an old acer predator 1440p 165hz monitor from 2016) it draws only 35 watts. The fans don’t even turn on. Wtf

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rabid Snake posted:

Also this card is insane. Playing valorant with a capped 200 fps (I’m playing on an old acer predator 1440p 165hz monitor from 2016) it draws only 35 watts. The fans don’t even turn on. Wtf

That's really not much of a test, Valorant can apparently hit 100 fps at 4k on AMD integrated graphics. Your CPU will have far more of a performance impact in most esports titles like that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valorant is possibly the leanest renderer in any major title, they started with unreals mobile renderer, then stripped out shadows, all dynamic lighting, and avoided using any alpha transparency anywhere

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

That's really not much of a test, Valorant can apparently hit 100 fps at 4k on AMD integrated graphics. Your CPU will have far more of a performance impact in most esports titles like that.

Yeah I understand it’s just the wattage usage is insane to me. The efficiency is surprising

Edit: I was running a 9900k and 2080 ti for 5 years and jumping to a 7800x3d and 4080 super is crazy. CPU and GPU not being a thermal pit is awesome

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be fair, the 40-series cards are unique in how little power they utilize when faced with a light load. The 30-series cards weren't this efficient, and AMD's offerings are even worse. It probably has something to do with the improved clock gating in the Ada architecture.

Rabid Snake posted:

Thank you for the knowledgeable post. I looked up DSC for further information and I didn’t realize it was like opening pandora box in technical terms lol.

For you and anyone else who's curious, Nvidia has a quick comparison of no compression and DSC's more aggressive 3:1 mode here. See if you can tell the difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 15, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i wonder if we'll ever see lossy framebuffer compression on desktop cards, it's been a thing on mobile for a while

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
firefox finally, actually gets rtx video

https://twitter.com/GeForce_JacobF/status/1790774088031780990

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

But still no regular HDR streaming support in Windows.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

i wonder if we'll ever see lossy framebuffer compression on desktop cards, it's been a thing on mobile for a while
yeah when i look at the occasional compression artifacts in my wifi connected VR headset "i need this on my desktop monitor" is definitely what i'm thinking lmao

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rabid Snake posted:

To actually give my 4070 non-SUPER a workout and make it draw its rated 200W, I need to boot up something that actually utilizes DX12 or 12U features (e.g. Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring with raytracing cranked, etc). When I'm dorking around in New Vegas or Starsector or something, the entire PC combined is drawing like 60 watts from the wall and I'm still pegged to monitor refresh.

It absolutely rules, I love seeing Zen4/Ada systems be so wonderfully power efficient.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

yeah when i look at the occasional compression artifacts in my wifi connected VR headset "i need this on my desktop monitor" is definitely what i'm thinking lmao

it would be an opt-in thing per framebuffer to use as appropriate, not just mangling everything indiscriminately

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Woah, the new asscreed is coming to Apple silicon day one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

Woah, the new asscreed is coming to Apple silicon day one

I know I could Google and find out, but do you mean it's getting an iPad release or a Mac OS release only? I'm really curious if iPad / Apple TV are about to stumble their way into the mainstream console market.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the last asscreed is coming to iOS soon (but not mac) and the new one is coming to mac at launch (but not iOS)

:iiam:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-and-mediatek-reportedly-working-on-pc-and-gaming-handheld-socs

Interesting counterpoint to the recent claims that Nvidia doesn't care about gaming anymore. Apparently Jensen wants in on the surge of handheld gaming PCs and is looking to build an arm-based chip with Mediatek.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I mean, Jensen is absolutely reaping the cash right now, but I'm sure he understands that the current AI craze is going to go bust in a huge way. Not surprised he knows The Videogames are going to remain the bedrock of the operation into the future.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jensen just wants to build or maintain market share in every market that's viable for Nvidia, even if it's not their current primary cash cow. The idea that they were going to disinvest in gaming always seemed ridiculous to me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sorta surprised by the MediaTek tie up portion considering Nvidia has their own ARM CPU division that is arguably more proficient? Not surprised at all that Nvidia wants a slice of the pie though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

Sorta surprised by the MediaTek tie up portion considering Nvidia has their own ARM CPU division that is arguably more proficient? Not surprised at all that Nvidia wants a slice of the pie though.

They probably want to spread the risk around.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Using an ARM CPU makes sense for the Switch (2) but I feel like a big part of the appeal for the Steamdeck and likes is that you can run stuff off your steam library and it Just Works™ for the most part

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Using an ARM CPU makes sense for the Switch (2) but I feel like a big part of the appeal for the Steamdeck and likes is that you can run stuff off your steam library and it Just Works™ for the most part

x86 to Arm translation layers are getting pretty good. Qualcomm is claiming their new Snapdragon X chips Just Work for most DX12 and Vulkan games.

edit: Speaking of, Dell and Microsoft are getting ready to announce their new push for ARM support next week: https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/15/24157120/dell-windows-on-arm-leak-qualcomm-chips-battery-life
(because everyone's getting fed up with Intel and AMD perpetually being behind Apple in terms of power efficiency, so they're turning to Qualcomm)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Are you telling me Nvidia has somehow popularized a proprietary video format? AMD can't do video upscaling?