Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Quackles posted:

Ferrari has always been like this. The story goes that in or around 1963, Ferruccio Lamborghini (whose business was making tractors at the time) had bought a Ferrari, and had found various minor issues with it after driving it. He decided to tell Enzo Ferrari. Ferrari replied that he didn't want advice from a tractor mechanic.

By the end of 1964, Lamborghini's newly incorporated car company had completed production of its first model of sports car, the Lamborghini 350 GT.

In modern times Lamborghini decided that if you want a Lamborghini and you have money to buy one, they will sell you one. Surprisingly this increased sales by a ton.

Jay Leno, perhaps the worlds best known car collector, does not own a single Ferrari, because he does not like how they treat their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Scenarios like this are perfect when you're a messy bitch who thrives on drama because no matter what the other party does, it's wrong and A Big Deal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Enemabag Jones posted:

Scenarios like this are perfect when you're a messy bitch who thrives on drama because no matter what the other party does, it's wrong and A Big Deal.

A lot of commentors think she wanted something she could hang over his head for their marriage. Either way it's some idiot soap opera poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh but then he loses it all and his poo poo gets repossessed, and I always remember he's like gasping over them taking this plastic bird statue away.

That was an earlier season, he then gets re-written into his soap opera show.

I've watched too much of that show.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It’s about controlling your partner and making them paranoid to interact with people of the opposite sex for fear of it being some concocted scenario. Run for the hills.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PizzaProwler posted:

Alas poor Lenny thought of rabbits and died.

Don't send me to the gay horse farm, George

mailorder bees posted:

the aztek does have its die hard supporters. or maybe just my friend that really likes them.

While it was ugly, the Aztek at least had some practicality to it

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I guess her first loyalty should be to her sister, within reason. But I'd want to know if my future wife was this crazy and she sure did Mark a solid from that perspective.

He should just explain to her that she failed his loyalty test. I am sure she will understand and gracefully concede.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mordiceius posted:

It feels like, in that situation, wife was somewhat forced by husband into a situation she didn't want. But then.. she did nothing about it but act lovely and spiteful?
It's easy to condemn her because she sucks poo poo and she's not even trying to make herself look good. It seems like she was never open to accepting another child and mentally checked out of the relationship a long time ago. It's possible that 3 years ago, she wasn't the kind of person who'd manipulate a teenager with threats, in which case that was the right time to divorce and get her own kids out of the situation.

But assuming she's not just making poo poo up, the info he leaves out of his posts makes him out to be a manipulative slimeball. He's just tuning out anything that contradicts the narrative of himself as the big hero holding his family together. The way he talks about "unconditional love" patching over these obvious problems he won't actually address, it makes me want to kick him downstairs. He wants her to adopt his niece but doesn't seem to regard her kids as his own. At least, he has no issues exposing her kids to a cruel, manipulative bully.

Basically, you should never be in a position where you're patiently explaining to your children that they don't matter, indefinitely, because this other kid needs your help more.

(Look, to be honest, I was just bored with random sentences about TV shows I don't watch.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA For "Hiding" A Family Heirloom Before Giving It To My Daughter?

quote:

I (35m) have a beautiful little girl "Leana" (4f) with my wife "Tammy" (35f) who was gracious enough to support my request in giving our daughter a variation of my great-grandmother's name "Lena." She cared for me as a baby while my parents worked and passed away when I was 7. I was heartbroken and the only one I felt who could truly understand my pain was my grandfather (Nana Lena's son). We grieved for her together and became best buddies ever since.

My Nana was very sick for awhile and towards the end of her life she expressed that one of her regrets in life was never having a daughter to pass down the family pendant to that was given to her by her mother. I told my nana that I would have a daughter for her so that the pendant could be passed on and she seemed really happy about that. When she passed my grandfather got the pendant and told me that it will go to whatever daughter I had and it was kind of our half joke/half serious understanding that we openly talked about for years.

Unfortunately, when I was 12 my dad cheated on my mom and got the woman pregnant. I was so angry at my dad because my mom was dealing with depression at the time and he couldn't care less. He married his affair partner after their daughter "Jessica" (22f) was born and I promised my dad that I would ruin their big day if I was force to attend and when they tried to call my bluff I put blue dye in the other woman's shampoo. After that it was made very clear that I would not be allowed back "home" until I apologized but I was so stubborn and bitter that it didn't work and my dad didn't want to have to pay a large sum in child support so the threat didn't stick.

My mom got me into therapy which will helped me process my anger but I forever kept my dad, the other woman, and their daughter at arms length. My grandfather passed when I was in college and in his will he left me some money and the pendant which I kept in a deposit box. I never talked about it and no one ever asked me for/about it. Fast forward to a couple of days ago and I showed Leana my Nana's pendant and she loved it. Tammy took a picture of Leana with it and posted it on social media.

It got back to Jessica and I guess my dad filled in the info gaps and is upset that she didn't get the pendant. My dad's other woman is calling me a thief, that I knew I was wrong which is why I "hid" it and is demanding that I give Jessica the pendant as it's rightfully hers and I'm refusing. She never even met my Nana, never expressed interest in learning about her, never once asked about the pendant, and as far as I know has no legal claim as it was technically willed to me. AITA?

AITA for not making my kids go with my ex's wife and their children or inviting them to join us on Mother's Day?

quote:

My ex and I broke up, and were never married, when I was pregnant with our youngest child who is now 12 and our oldest is almost 14. Ex moved 20 hours away when our youngest was five months old. He was following a better job. Plus he was bored of our home state and wanted a change. He told me this before he left and when I asked about the kids he told me he'd still be an involved dad, just at a distance. I have primary custody. He sees them for three weeks in the summer and every other Christmas/Thanksgiving. It's not a lot and the kids aren't very close to him and have grown to enjoy the time with him less as they get older. Part of this is because they don't feel like he makes enough of an effort. Another part is the fact he got married 2 years after the move and he has more children with his current wife. So the kids feel replaced. I can't blame them. So I put them in therapy to help them through this.

I hardly ever hear from ex or his wife. I get three emails from him a year and maybe five replies if I'm lucky (which is him giving me dates and me asking him questions and getting replies to those). The kids do not have a close relationship or any type of bond with their half siblings.

Sunday morning we got the shock of our lives when my ex's wife showed up with her and ex's kids and said she came to get my kids to spend the day with them and so they could be with her and their half siblings. My kids said they didn't want to go and walked away without saying anything else to her. She looked so offended at the door and told me to make sure they get ready. I told her no and told her she didn't get to just arrive. I told her they were spending Mother's Day with me, their mom. Then I closed the door and she stayed with her kids for a few minutes before leaving. Apparently she got home later that night (they flew apparently) because both she and ex sent numerous emails saying I should have sent the kids with her and made them celebrate her for a change since she's been their stepmom most of their lives and they have siblings who wanted to see them. Ex also claimed if I refused to share, I should have invited them in to spend some time all together. They called me a bitch and unreasonable. This continued all day yesterday.

AITA?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 15, 2024

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
AITA for telling my coworker that her clothes were inappropriate for the office?

quote:

Throwaway because I feel like she’ll find me

a couple months ago, I (26f) started working at a medium size magazine in customer service. I mostly just answer phones but we have a business casual dress code in case of visitors.

our IT person/web developer Hannah doesn’t follow the dress code or even get close to it. She wears these big platform combat boots and giant black hoodies everyday. I complained to my manager but she said doesn’t have control over Hannah and she doesn’t see people anyway so it doesn’t matter. I asked her if anyone had talked to the upper management about it and she told me to drop it which I didn’t like because it’s shady that they can’t just answer my questions

Honestly Hannah gets a ton of special treatment. She’s the only one besides the directors who’s aloud to work from home and she gets her own office too which is supposed to be just directors. She comes in whenever she wants. It’s ridiculous. No one else gets away with that.

I asked her in the break room last week why she felt like she had a different set of rules than everyone else and she said “I do, I don’t even have to be here” and walked away which was super loving rude and why can’t she just stay home then? I don’t want to wear my stupid rear end work clothes, it’s not fair that one person gets to do whatever they want

Anyway I couldn’t get it off my mind and it was bothering me so I looked her up on Facebook this weekend and I found out she was THIRTY EIGHT YEARS OLD. She dresses like a literal teenager. I thought she was my age and maybe just finished school but this is an actual middle aged woman who should know better

So I asked her yesterday when I saw her in the break room if she thought her clothing was appropriate for someone her age. She looked really confused so I said it’s not a good look for someone who was almost 40. She laughed at me and left the room and I got a bad feeling which was right because she went and tattled to HR and our boss.

I had to sit through a bullshit meeting where I was given my “final warning” write up even though i haven’t had any other write ups so it doesn’t make sense but I signed it so I could keep my job. My manager told me after that they could replace me by next week but replacing her would be a nightmare which is a horrible thing to tell your employees and I think maybe a violation of worker rights but I haven’t checked yet

I just wanted answers and I think I’m entitled too them. A company should be honest with their employees and I just wanted to know why the rules don’t apply to Hannah. This could have all been avoided if they just answered to begin with so AITA because I lost my patience and confronted my coworker about her inappropriate outfits?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

wheatpuppy posted:

AITA for telling my coworker that her clothes were inappropriate for the office?

Lmao, just lmao

Dress codes are stupid, especially if you're not client facing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

wheatpuppy posted:

Dear Reddit, I have a grudge against the cool lady who also happens to be the one person keeping everything in the office running. I think it's totally unfair that I got in trouble for trying to pick a fight multiple times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

wheatpuppy posted:

World's youngest boomer

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not making my kids go with my ex's wife and their children or inviting them to join us on Mother's Day?
Huh. Wonder what the actual reason is here, because there’s no loving way they flew in from out of state with zero notice just to randomly hang out.

My guess would be using the 12/14 yr old OP’s kids as free child care.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

wheatpuppy posted:

Dear reddit, why doesn't the company I work for kill their goose that lays golden eggs over piety BS?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Most Power Alex posted:

Dear reddit, why doesn't the company I work for kill their goose that lays golden eggs over piety BS?

Dear reddit, I did an age discrimination. Why is HR so mad?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

My manager told me after that they could replace me by next week but replacing her would be a nightmare which is a horrible thing to tell your employees and I think maybe a violation of worker rights but I haven’t checked yet

I just wanted answers and I think I’m entitled too them. A company should be honest with their employees and I just wanted to know why the rules don’t apply to Hannah. This could have all been avoided if they just answered to begin with so AITA because I lost my patience and confronted my coworker about her inappropriate outfits?

LOL at thinking of this comment as a violation of worker rights. I'm pretty sure even in countries with strong worker protections that's not illegal to say, and it's certainly not in the US. I always wonder where people get the idea that there are elaborate systems of restrictions on what companies can say or fire you for - protections are extremely limited, and what protections there are often aren't even enforced in practice.

Also I put these two together because OP got the answer, they just don't like it. Coworker is keeping stuff together and that's worth more to the company than enforcing a dress code that doesn't really matter anyway. OP isn't the one who gets to decide what's appropriate, and OP's comment comes into the zone of age discrimination which is something a company can get in trouble for.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

[...]

I just wanted answers and I think I’m entitled too them.

I think I found the problem. OP is 26 so her brain just finished, this might be the first time she's had to take it for a spin since it became feature complete. We all made some mistakes in this period of our lives, but I hope mine weren't as embarrassing as this one, and this person learns to default to assuming others are worthy of the same respect she overly extends to herself.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My favorite part of this story is that in this person's mind it's completely acceptable to harass someone and look up their personal info online to do it, but going through proper channels and talking to HR about someone harassing you is tattletale behavior.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

I might be thinking of a different story, but I swear this was posted before and a commenter or someone recognized the description of “Hannah” and said she was actually a very well-known and connected person in those circles, not some lowly IT worker that the OP seems to think she is. Also she was a consultant or something, hence her setting her own hours and working from home.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I might be thinking of a different story, but I swear this was posted before and a commenter or someone recognized the description of “Hannah” and said she was actually a very well-known and connected person in those circles, not some lowly IT worker that the OP seems to think she is. Also she was a consultant or something, hence her setting her own hours and working from home.

quote:

our IT person/web developer

She's the head of IT.

Critically important rule of any office job, you do not gently caress with the IT people and you let them get away with whatever they like.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think that's a different story, but it jangled my brain from the previous thread too. I think it was a younger rockstar creative who the OP decided was a silly little girl wearing dumb non-compliant clothes...and maybe they got fired for making a huge fuss?

E: found it, didn't get fired, but nearly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3982535&pagenumber=2065&perpage=40#post530181888

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 15, 2024

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The sloppier someone is dressed at a corporate office the more critical they are to the success of the business. Stained jorts and socks with sandals? That's the man who invented the device that the whole company is built on.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Yes, different story, that "Hannah" was younger and some sort of client-facing rockstar who just wore hoodies and jeans or some poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Most Power Alex posted:

My favorite little detail is that OP is a newly-hired customer service rep.

Gosh, why is the company siding with the irreplaceable veteran IT person and not the eminently replaceable low-level cog who showed up just last Wednesday? :iiam:

e: Also funny is OP's bafflement at why a middle-aged woman would dress to make people think she was younger than she actually was.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 15, 2024

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also, it's absurd to expect a dress code from an IT person who has to do actual grease monkey IT work. "Sorry boss I have to go home so i can change into a different set of clothes after I unearthed the city of dust living in Bill's computer."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Even if it feels fake I'm certain it happens almost daily when high school overachievers finally encounter someone whose job requires actual skills.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FMguru posted:

My favorite little detail is that OP is a newly-hired customer service rep.

Gosh, why is the company siding with the irreplaceable veteran IT person and not the eminently replaceable low-level cog who showed up just last Wednesday? :iiam:

e: Also funny is OP's bafflement at why a middle-aged woman would dress to make people think she was younger than she actually was.

it's weird bc like, is she a time travelever from the past? this stuff is so far gone, you can denote movies which are older just by how dowdy and weird they've dressed the adults.

I recently rewatched the Ron Howard movie "Parenthood" from 1989, and all of those people are technically my age and holy poo poo, everything they're wearing looks like it should smell like mothballs. No current human adult wears that poo poo, unless you're middle-class white and you're on you way to church on Sunday.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Also, it's absurd to expect a dress code from an IT person who has to do actual grease monkey IT work. "Sorry boss I have to go home so i can change into a different set of clothes after I unearthed the city of dust living in Bill's computer."

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. A women I worked with put a complaint into HR for the way I dressed; although I'd wear a full suit to work most days there was more than a fair few times where I'd come in with just a shirt, jeans and a pair of overalls. Her complaint was that whenever I was meeting customers/visitors I always dressed down and this reflected the business in a poor light.

I work in health and safety (think OSHA) and yes, whenever I was overseeing the installation or movement of heavy machinery I wouldn't wear a three-piece loving suit. I'd know I would be standing around outside most of the day in full PPE and hardhat. I would be dressed exactly like everyone else involved the the projects. The bonkers thing is that the women worked for me as part of my team. After HR had a quiet word I arranged to have her moved on, we didn't sack her but I made it clear there was no longer a space on my team so we shuffled her to another department.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even if it feels fake I'm certain it happens almost daily when high school overachievers finally encounter someone whose job requires actual skills.

It's funny to see the illusion of, like, Suits shattered by someone this dumb. Attacking her choice of clothes and her age is bold, lol

Like, I think she's quite upset that this woman doesn't want to look like the OP and doesn't think her age is a bad thing. Insecurity writ large

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
why the gently caress do people even care about how you're 'damaging the reputation of the business'. it's not like if the business does well, you're seeing a single goddamn penny - the reward you get for working so hard to keep the company open is getting to keep the job you have right now, and that's it.

it's like when someone is all weird about spending company money - I just don't get it. it's not your money! you should literally only ever care about this if a part of your job description to give a poo poo about how much the company spends. everyone else is just being a free corpo cop who is crab bucketing for their worker-time-thievin' cheap-rear end bosses.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

why the gently caress do people even care about how you're 'damaging the reputation of the business'. it's not like if the business does well, you're seeing a single goddamn penny - the reward you get for working so hard to keep the company open is getting to keep the job you have right now, and that's it.

it's like when someone is all weird about spending company money - I just don't get it. it's not your money! you should literally only ever care about this if a part of your job description to give a poo poo about how much the company spends. everyone else is just being a free corpo cop for their worker-time-thievin' bosses.

I completely agree with everything you just said.

As a sidenote: The same lady once tried telling me that my holiday hadn't been authorised because she hadn't written it on the wall calendar she kept behind her desk; she needed to keep note of where everybody was so we had enough coverage. I had to explain that she submitted her holiday requests to me and I was the one who approved leave and ensured coverage. So no, I didn't in fact have to ask her if I could go on holiday.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

wheatpuppy posted:

Haha I know two people irl who have been repeatedly written up/ fired for gobbing off at far more experienced/capable employees about how they ought to be doing their jobs. This genius decided to throw in a personal attack as well.

Really want to know how many jobs she’s been fired from for the exact same thing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

When you are good enough at something difficult, you often get to bypass lovely rules. Instead of getting jealous of Hannah get her skills so you can wear a hoody all day if you want. That's it, right, you're jealous? Then get good. There's no reason to be upset about it besides jealousy because it doesn't affect you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

We have had complaints to IT management because of how people were dressed. They are in the Standard IT Uniform that is polo and khakis and someone got mad that it wasn't professional enough. These people were installing pcs and crawling under desks, you don't need a button up for that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In this context the Southern is a dead giveaway. OP is ex-sorority, dressed as the 2024 equivalent of Elle Woods, and resents that IT Woman isn't playing the game at all. How dare you not follow The Rules?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My friend used to work IT at a law firm where the female dress code is skirts and heels, no exceptions. She told them to go gently caress themselves and they did.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Halloween Jack posted:

My friend used to work IT at a law firm where the female dress code is skirts and heels, no exceptions. She told them to go gently caress themselves and they did.

Can you elaborate on how they hosed themselves, like were there cascading consequences of her walking or did the fold

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I’m kind of curious how the thread will land on this one. Personally while I think the OP may have some kind of sorta point about how her family doesn’t like her, she picked the stupidest hill to die on over it and is insufferably whiny and self-absorbed.

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?

quote:

My grandmother died in February. I hadn't seen her - or many members of that side of the family - since 2018, the year I got married. After my divorce in 2020, I moved to NYC. I've had a rough past few years, emotionally and financially. My Nana and those relatives spent their time in Florida, Texas, and Alabama (where I am from originally). Whenever I visited my immediate family, the extended family wouldn't be there.

I deeply regret not making the time to see my grandmother before she passed. I grieved her immediately, breaking into tears and weeping for weeks. I contemplated and researched the afterlife. When I texted my dad to ask, "When will the funeral be? Nothing could keep me away", he replied, "5.18.2024."

May 18 is my birthday.

I typed a message asking why my birthday was chosen, but quickly deleted it. I tried to calmly ask my mother privately and she became irritable, yelling at me, "Do not bring this up to your father. He's going through a lot."

I found out over time that because the ground was frozen in Vermont (where my grandmother raised her family before retiring in Florida), and Vermont is where she wanted her ashes to be buried, they had to postpone the funeral. She had seven children who had to pick a date that worked for all of them. But still...my birthday? My dad didn't care to speak up about it being his only daughter's birthday?

Here's the thing: my whole life, I have felt like the least favorite grandchild, niece, cousin, etc. I knew deep down that my grandmother loved me, but it was clear she loved others more. One time she chose to take my cousin to Disney World the same day my family had driven in to visit her. She told my father to come the next day, but he didn't listen, and decided to surprise her instead. She grew irate and rushed to beat us home so we wouldn't find out, but my Grandpa spilled the beans. She could have waited a day to take me and my brother, but didn't. We never went to Disney World with her.

She was a devout Catholic her entire life, but rolled her eyes when my eleven-year-old-self - a Southern Baptist at the time - suggested we all pray before we eat dinner. When she and my mother found me sitting alone one day (as a thirteen-year-old), I told them I was contemplating my future, and whether I could get into Harvard or travel to Europe. She burst out laughing as if that was the most hilarious joke ever told. (She never got a degree or worked.)

I've been writing creatively since childhood, but she always told me I needed a "real career" and I couldn't dream about becoming a writer. I have been tall and thin my whole life. When I began modeling, she said, "Modeling is not for you." She showered my cousins in praise and validation and gifts. She sent me gifts and cards, don't get me wrong, but the difference in quality was obvious. She scolded me over things my cousins got away with easily.

I loved my grandmother. I love my parents. I didn't want to hurt my dad so I kept my feelings inside and told myself my birthday was not important. But then my fiance and I went to dinner a week early to celebrate, and my parents didn't even wish me a happy birthday. They didn't send a card. I asked why. My mother replied, "Isn't your birthday next Saturday? We'll celebrate you on May 20 when we are all together in your city."

After she said this, it sunk in for me that they never intended to even acknowledge me at all on my birthday. So I changed my return flight from the 19th to the 18th. I asked my dad if he could drive me to the airport on my birthday after the funeral, and he said no because he had to "spend time with family." So I secured a rental car. I would now fly from Vermont to Detroit and finally return home to NYC at midnight on my birthday.

I have lived in NYC for four years, and for four years, my parents have made excuse after excuse not to visit me. I had to beg my dad to agree to visit me in NYC on their drive back from Vermont to Alabama, which he didn't want to do. He didn't want to drive into NYC to pick me up either. Originally my parents were supposed to pick me up from the train station in New Jersey this Thursday, and I would fly back home on the 19th, and they would FINALLY visit me in Manhattan on the 20th. It was all set. I was looking forward to exploring my dad's home town with him and spending some quality time together a few days before the funeral. Then out of the blue, my mom insisted I fly in on Friday instead, under the guise of saving my PTO. But really they just wanted to get to Vermont sooner. I told my dad this hurt my feelings, that I had been looking forward to spending private time with my parents in his hometown.

Today I called them and asked for help covering my Ubers to and from the airports. I'm living paycheck to paycheck, and they know this. Nana's will insisted that her estate would cover everyone's accommodations at her funeral, and I was originally told that I would get my own hotel room. Then I found out that I would be sharing a house with my parents and multiple relatives who were part of the original discussion to plan the funeral on my birthday. That didn't sit right with me. I wanted to go for my Nana and my dad. I didn't want to have to stay in the same house as people who don't care about me.

I finally told my dad today how I feel, on speaker phone while he and my mom were driving across the country towards Vermont. I said I couldn't believe they planned Nana's funeral on my birthday, when they had months to plan for any other date. I told him how my mother wouldn't let me express my feelings to him everytime I tried to calmly ask why, why MY birthday, of all the birthdays in the family? Why did it have to be on anyone's birthday? I said this has been a recurring theme all my life, that nobody in this family cares about me. He replied, "Don't come. If that's how you feel, don't come."

So now I am crying and wondering if I should cancel my flights and rental car, and miss out on my Nana's funeral, or just go, despite the fact that nobody wants me there...and based on their choice of date, maybe they never did.

TL;DR: My relatives planned my grandmother's funeral months in advance on my birthday. I told my parents this made me feel unloved and my dad told me to not come to the funeral if that's how I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I worked (very briefly) for an investment bank. My boss sprained (broke? Not sure) her ankle and insisted on wearing a high heel on the not-in-a-cast foot so as not to be visibly out of uniform.