Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Speaking of Galveston!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/14/texas-voting-map-case-appeal

The Guardian posted:

The most rightwing appeals court in the country has heard a case over discriminatory electoral maps in Galveston, Texas, which threatens to puncture a fresh hole in the already battered 1965 Voting Rights Act.

The US court of appeals for the fifth circuit, which has six of 17 active judges appointed by Donald Trump, heard a clash of views over whether Black and Latino minority voters could have their combined electoral voice protected.

The case, Petteway v Galveston County, risks removing the right of minority groups to join forces in so-called “coalition districts” to elect representatives of their choice.

In October, a federal district judge threw out new electoral maps drawn up by the Republican-controlled county, which eviscerated the only district out of four in which African American and Latino voters collectively were in the majority.

Judge Jeffrey Brown ruled that the eradication of the majority-minority district was a “stark and jarring” violation of the Voting Rights Act, describing the revised maps as “mean-spirited” and “egregious”.

The county appealed the judgment.

Addressing the full bench of the fifth circuit, Chad Dunn, the lawyer representing the Black and Latino voters who would in effect be disenfranchised by the new maps, gave an impassioned plea for their right to be heard. “Is it too much to ask for one seat at the table?” he asked.

Dunn added: “Justice in this case is allowing these people to retain their one voice. The majority will still control the policy issues of the day, and will win on many issues four to one. But these people know they have somebody to call who lives down the neighborhood from them, who knows them, who’s lived their experience.”

The stakes are high given that the act, one of the crowning achievements of the civil rights movement, has already been drastically weakened.

The US supreme court began the rot in its 2013 ruling Shelby County v Holder. That removed the requirement on specified jurisdictions mainly in the south that they could only make changes to electoral systems after they had sought approval from the federal justice department.

The end of the so-called “pre-clearance” requirement issued in a new era of voter suppression measures brought in largely by Republican legislatures across the country.

Should the fifth circuit side with Galveston county and allow the new maps to stand, that would further decimate the remaining portion of the VRA that still operates – section 2. It would end the right of different minority groups to work together in “coalitions” to achieve majority-minority districts.

Joseph Nixon, representing the county, told the appeal court judges that the text of the VRA does not mention coalitions of different minority voters. He argued that such electoral alliances should not be protected under the act.

Nixon argued that coalitions were political in nature, not racial, as they were designed to achieve political victories. He said: “You just keep stacking minorities until you get a district … There is a desire on behalf of different groups for a political coalition.”

Dunn countered the argument by pointing out that African American and Latino voters in Galveston county voted along similar lines, with about 85% backing Democratic candidates. By contrast, 85% of Galveston’s white electorate sides with Republicans.

The lawyer added that the principle of minority groups acting in concert to form coalition districts had been recognized by the federal courts as settled law for 40 years. He invoked the principle of stare decisis – the idea that judges should show respect to the earlier precedents set by their predecessors, in this case a 1987 ruling Lulac v Clements, which decided that coalitions of minority groups could bring claims under the act.

“It is the consistent application of the law that gives birth to the rule of law, and creates the confidence that holds our nation together,” he said.

The county includes Galveston Island, a barrier island on the Gulf coast of Texas which is the birthplace of Juneteenth, the official US holiday that celebrates the final end of slavery in the US. Of the county’s eligible voter population, 38% are Black and Latino and 56% are Anglo, as white people are known in Texas.

Residents of precinct 3, the one majority-minority district that would be destroyed under the new maps, are worried that should they lose the case it would demoralize African American and Latino voters.

“It’s already very difficult to get people to participate,” Roxy Hall Williamson, a community advocate from Galveston Island, told the Guardian last September. “Losing our precinct would definitely deter folks from running for office.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you're arguing stare decisis to modern Republicans as a reason for them not to do something you've already lost.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Think the biggest thing for me in this thread is the suggestion to hit up Tomball without even mentioning that the only reason to do so is for some country fried steak off of 249.

Eta: loving Tomball...really. loving hell what the gently caress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Go to The Woodlands and maybe you can spot Dinesh D'Souza doing one of his Fox News appearances.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
there are supposed to be some really good restaurants in the woodlands now but im never gonna go to any of them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've decided I'm going to perform Whitey On The Moon when I tour mission control

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

The acoustics of the Saturn V shed would make for a nice rendition of Wernher von Braun

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

If you're doing the L9 for the mission control, you might be able to get a dip into the other side of the tour which is the training facilities. Would suggest just making a passing notion to the guide that you'd like to see it to start out and beat everybody up asking stupid questions that stall the tour in any given spot.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Stonetoss is up that way, isn't he? Which really says all you need to know about the area.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

drunk mutt posted:

Eta: loving Tomball...really. loving hell what the gently caress.

I will die on this ant hill.

Now let me give my 5-star review of Texas Road House...

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Back Hack posted:

I will die on this ant hill.

Now let me give my 5-star review of Texas Road House...

Is that the new one w/ the guy from broke back mountain?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

drunk mutt posted:

Is that the new one w/ the guy from broke back mountain?

That depends, is that one on 249 leading toward Tomball? :v:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hickory Hollow IS pretty good though. The only good thing in Tomball.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

George H.W. oval office posted:

Didn't know Sam Houston Racetrack was in Tomball.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

George H.W. oval office posted:

Tejas Chocolate Factory is also up there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Double post but, this is potentially noteworthy.

Houston teachers union calls for Mike Miles' resignation after explosive report

Chron posted:

Texas teachers unions are calling for the resignation of HISD Superintendent Mike Miles and a federal investigation after an explosive report from Spectrum TV news alleged that state taxpayer funds had been funneled into charter schools in Colorado that Miles helped to found.

After abruptly leaving office as the superintendent of Dallas ISD in 2015, Miles went on to lead a chain of charter schools called Third Future, operating in Colorado, Texas and Louisiana. In 2023, the Texas Education Agency tapped Miles to lead the Houston ISD, but he stayed on Third Future as a consultant, Spectrum reported. Spectrum alleged that during Miles' time with the charter school network millions of dollars in state education funding meant for Third Future's Ector College Prep in Odessa instead went to the company's cash-strapped charter schools in Colorado.

More info in the link, but the quoted section covers the highlights. This among the more brazen displays of corruption I've seen, if it's true.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dang, can't believe that the burn and pillage guy they got for HISD pillaged some for himself personally.

You're supposed to steal money for your boss and then he gives some back to you in the form of like sports tickets or a vacation or a pizza party or whatever corrupt guys do for fun.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dang, can't believe that the burn and pillage guy they got for HISD pillaged some for himself personally.

You're supposed to steal money for your boss and then he gives some back to you in the form of like sports tickets or a vacation or a pizza party or whatever corrupt guys do for fun.

I know, right? Learn from Clarence Thomas, FFS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/wazirkatexas/status/1790145257360830892

hell yeah mega-mosques

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

to my disappointment, fitna is a real thing and not a gotcha joke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fitna balls in your mouth

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most Californian thing Tesla has done.

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1790376955600158751

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

they're building an ismaili center here in houston and the concept drawings look really cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHPFw4DZMfE

this is just southwest of austin

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Curious to know what stockholder rights are in danger unless you count the rights of the Tesla board's financial dealings with Musk outside of Tesla after Delaware told them to gently caress off with their attempt at a 50+ billion reward package for Musk.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

they're building an ismaili center here in houston and the concept drawings look really cool

Yeah, it's been exciting watching that go up. That plot of land was vacant for a long time - though that's probably partly due to cost, I can't imagine how much it was worth.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1790226942286860608

TAMU is woke.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, it's been exciting watching that go up. That plot of land was vacant for a long time - though that's probably partly due to cost, I can't imagine how much it was worth.

lol yeah that i dont even want to think about what something at the corner of montrose and allen parkway would cost

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

poemdexter posted:

Curious to know what stockholder rights are in danger unless you count the rights of the Tesla board's financial dealings with Musk outside of Tesla after Delaware told them to gently caress off with their attempt at a 50+ billion reward package for Musk.

The rights of stockholders named Elon Musk to be paid billions of dollars a year in bonuses.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Elon isn't richest boy in the world anymore, and that is a danger for him.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Tried googling it but I still don't understand; what is the modern cultural usage of the term fitna, or at least in the context of that tweet?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Tried googling it but I still don't understand; what is the modern cultural usage of the term fitna, or at least in the context of that tweet?

get high on life with basketball

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

lol yeah that i dont even want to think about what something at the corner of montrose and allen parkway would cost

Especially a plot that big. Outside of government/religious buildings, I'm not sure who else could afford it. A housing highrise is about the only thing I can think of offhand, since I believe Houston already has a surplus of commercial office space available.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

People being assholes to you and your people because you're muslim

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1790795636217917600

Whoops

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sea Ags are gonna quickly devolve into a Lord of the Flies situation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saw it reported as "bridge to Galveston" at first and nearly flipped my poo poo. that airbnb cancellation policy probably ain't great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1790802645579337984

Gah!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Especially a plot that big. Outside of government/religious buildings, I'm not sure who else could afford it. A housing highrise is about the only thing I can think of offhand, since I believe Houston already has a surplus of commercial office space available.

It one of the reason building owners are trying to get State and/or Fed funds to convert their empty office space into apartments and condos, converting those offices into living spaces costs a ridicules amount of money to renovate builds of that size to provide indepentant AC, water, and sewage after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao I asked and confirmed that our version is in the works