Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tac Dibar posted:

Me and my band released a song. We manage to record about one song per year, and here's this year's creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axy0RYpbi1I

Rampart - The Perfect Crime

I even made a little video this time by cutting together material from an old public domain pirate movie. I think it turned out pretty well.

This has a real NWOBHM feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Vargatron posted:

This has a real NWOBHM feel to it.

Thanks! It's funny, we're not consciously trying to make NWOBHM, but apparently it's so deeply ingrained into our brains that it's just what naturally comes out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I've been slacking on the metal front and been listening to techno all year. What's everyone's top metal albums of the year now we're nearly halfway through

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Hauntologist (atmoblack)
Judas Priest (trad)
Bongripper (doom)
Cistvaen (atmoblack)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MikeCrotch posted:

I've been slacking on the metal front and been listening to techno all year. What's everyone's top metal albums of the year now we're nearly halfway through

off the top of my head

hoplites
knoll
resin tomb
infant island
cognizance
dissimulator
cantique lepreaux
inter arma
high on fire
full of hell
fluisteraars

Still a lot of stuff I'm behind on, I haven't had as much time as last year

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

Brodequin
Witch Vomit
Disrotter
Invirulant
Crucifier
Purulency

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Good stuff this year:
Clouds Taste Satanic - 79.A.E (post-doom)
Feuerschwanz - Warriors (Power)
Judas Priest - Invincible Shield (Trad. Metal)
DragonForce - Warp Speed Warriors (Power)
Hamferd - Men Guds hond er sterk (Doom)
Ard - Untouched by Fire (Doom)
The Vision Bleak - Weird Tales (Goth)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Hoplites - Paramainomeni (black/avant-garde)
Convlusing - Perdurance (death)
Knoll - As Spoken (deathgrind)
meth. - SHAME (sludge/noise)
Dissimulator - Lower Form Resistance (tech thrash)
Necrot - Lifeless Birth (death)
Full of Hell - Coagulated Bliss (grind)
Civerous - Maze Envy (death)
Job for a Cowboy - Moon Healer (tech death)
High on Fire - Cometh the Storm (stoner)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

post techno imo i am on an electronic kick

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

ThePopeOfFun posted:

post techno imo i am on an electronic kick

https://www.factmag.com/2016/10/31/fenriz-fact-mix-575/

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hoplites - Paramainomeni (black/avant-garde)
Convlusing - Perdurance (death)
Knoll - As Spoken (deathgrind)
meth. - SHAME (sludge/noise)
Dissimulator - Lower Form Resistance (tech thrash)
Necrot - Lifeless Birth (death)
Full of Hell - Coagulated Bliss (grind)
Civerous - Maze Envy (death)
Job for a Cowboy - Moon Healer (tech death)
High on Fire - Cometh the Storm (stoner)

This post reminded me to listen to the new Necrot again. It rules.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
anyone needing a smooth jazz playlist hit me up on spotify

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

hell yeah

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

AARP LARPer posted:

anyone needing a smooth jazz playlist hit me up on spotify

imperial triumphant is metal so so is smooth jazz

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I prefer rough jazz like clown core.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdA0mW-9jRs

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
ACxDC and Darkthrone are my favorites so far.

Cid Justice
Mar 4, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Judas Priest, Darkthrone, and High on Fire are the obvious picks. But I'm really digging Pentagram Chile's latest. I need to listen to more Chilean metal, apparently. New Witch Vomit and Necrot also rips.

Tac Dibar posted:

Rampart - The Perfect Crime

Good stuff, dude

Cid Justice fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 15, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MikeCrotch posted:

In addition to the previous mentioned bands I've been liking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5E711639lM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4Y-8Z9SjM

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've had the latest Witch Vomit album on repeat since it came out. Probably going to be my aoty

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tac Dibar posted:

Me and my band released a song.

It's a good song. :cheers: Fun lil earworm.

MikeCrotch posted:

I've been kinda lethargic with checking out new music recently too, but here's a few standouts:

Diamonds Hadder - Beyond the Breakers
This is actually from December last year, but I'm sticking it here because it's a loving superb trad album.

RYUJIN - RYUJIN
Very energetic, cheesy, fun melodeath. Vibes range from "really just power metal" to "Japanese CoB".

Dark Oath - Ages of Man
Comparatively less cheesy melodeath that just loving goes.

Hiraes - Dormant
<in the voice of Sam Gamgee taking Lembas bread out of the bag> Oh look, more melodeath.

Glyph - Honor. Power. Glory.
Some first class supercheese from a brand new power metal supergroup (including a goon).

Striker - Ultrapower
Kindof a mishmash of power, trad and just plain old hard rock. Bottom line is it's an absolutely stupid loving amount of fun.

Chainsword - Born Triumphant

Also the new Unleash the Archers album just came out. My jury is still kinda out, but first impression is quite positive.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Oh gently caress I forgot about Chainsword, that album rips

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
new unleash the archers has some great guitar work and brittney sounds awesome as usual, but the drumming is really uninspired. it's like the same stickings for every single song which is boring AF

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Violent Execution - Invasores (thrash/speed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpGWIyZOsg

From a couple years ago but absolutely a good way to spend 25 minutes.

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022
New stuff I've enjoyed

-DVNE - Voidkind
-Judas Priest - Invincible Shield
-Nimbifier - Der böse Geist
-Antichrist Siege Machine - Vengeance of Eternal Fire
-High on Fire - Cometh the Fire
-Slimelord - Chytridiomycosis Relinquished
-Full of Hell - Coagulated Bliss
-Häxan Sabaoth Unaussprechlichen Kulten
-Sovereign - Altered Realities
-Stress Angel - Punished By Nemesis

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022
Also, NEW OXYGEN DESTROYER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_GSDO1cn4Y

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I saw Ad Infinitum, HammerFall and Kamelot in concert on my 40th birthday! :rock:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yeah, Dvne has been in my heavy rotation the whole month.

https://songs-of-arrakis.bandcamp.com/track/abode-of-the-perfect-soul

That's going to be in my album of the year list.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm biased because I made the music video but this new Horseburner track is good. Progressive stoner-y/sludge-y metal loosely in the Mastodon/Baroness vein with some leads and solos that lean more in a trad metal direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs69rU79l8

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I'm biased because I made the music video but this new Horseburner track is good. Progressive stoner-y/sludge-y metal loosely in the Mastodon/Baroness vein with some leads and solos that lean more in a trad metal direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs69rU79l8

their last album, the thief, was great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

finally someone doing some real good with their lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MT61TsdFxQ

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bunch of stuff already mentioned, but I dig the new Artificial Language EP (prog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyHudUCLQIM

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looking for some recommendations.

I've been playing bass for close to two decades now but last month I acquired my first 5-string (a "Toby" from the small Chicagoland brand Tobias) when I found it on sale for $200 at a music store that was going out of business. I am still very much getting used to it--the extra string totally fucks with my muscle memory.

A little description of my usual practice setup: I have Spotify playlists of songs pulled from my library for what are now my three basses based on tunings--one for standard or close to standard 4-string, one for 4-string from D standard down to B standard, and now one for the 5-string (either intended for play on an extended bass or sub-B standard). I throw these on shuffle and try to play along to tabs at speed.

Unsurprisingly, the 5-string playlist is the least populated (a little over 900 songs at the moment), and it is dominated by a handful of artists. Furthermore, bands that deploy 5-string basses tend to be hyper-technical prog types, and while I enjoy the challenge of trying to play along to BTBAM or Dream Theater, I am not that caliber of player and even less that caliber on a type of bass I'm not used to.

So basically I am looking for bands and songs that fit the following criteria: 1) Use a 5-string and/or very low tuning, 2) are on Spotify, 3) have tabs available on free sites like Songsterr or Ultimate-Guitar, and 4) are not extremely demanding technically. Open to any genre, metal or otherwise. I figure this could also be a fun way to check out some new bands!

Some examples on my playlist of the type of thing I'm looking for:

Amon Amarth
Benighted
Cannibal Corpse
Edge of Sanity
Giant Squid
Meshuggah (I'm fine with crazy time signatures, just not crazy fingering patterns)
Orphaned Land
Sanguisugabogg

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I've been playing bass for close to two decades now but last month I acquired my first 5-string (a "Toby" from the small Chicagoland brand Tobias) when I found it on sale for $200 at a music store that was going out of business. I am still very much getting used to it--the extra string totally fucks with my muscle memory.

A little description of my usual practice setup: I have Spotify playlists of songs pulled from my library for what are now my three basses based on tunings--one for standard or close to standard 4-string, one for 4-string from D standard down to B standard, and now one for the 5-string (either intended for play on an extended bass or sub-B standard). I throw these on shuffle and try to play along to tabs at speed.

Unsurprisingly, the 5-string playlist is the least populated (a little over 900 songs at the moment), and it is dominated by a handful of artists. Furthermore, bands that deploy 5-string basses tend to be hyper-technical prog types, and while I enjoy the challenge of trying to play along to BTBAM or Dream Theater, I am not that caliber of player and even less that caliber on a type of bass I'm not used to.

So basically I am looking for bands and songs that fit the following criteria: 1) Use a 5-string and/or very low tuning, 2) are on Spotify, 3) have tabs available on free sites like Songsterr or Ultimate-Guitar, and 4) are not extremely demanding technically. Open to any genre, metal or otherwise. I figure this could also be a fun way to check out some new bands!

Amon Amarth
Benighted
Cannibal Corpse
Edge of Sanity
Giant Squid
Meshuggah (I'm fine with crazy time signatures, just not crazy fingering patterns)
Orphaned Land
Sanguisugabogg

Some bands/albums in B standard tuning (stolen from my own B standard playlist for guitar practice):
Carcass - Heartwork
At the Gates
Anaal Nathrakh (some of them are in C, but I know Vanitas is in B)
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (It might be just slightly not in B tuning thanks to some analog laziness)
Most Exumed albums, their earlier work is way more difficult
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
The Duskfall

Edit: remembered a few more because they're in my queue to learn or I forgot about them
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
Slowed Down Metallica
All Shall Perish - The Price Of Existence

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 17, 2024

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Having a separate playlist for different tunings is such an obvious, giga-brain move. Stealing it immediately.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Some bands/albums in B standard tuning (stolen from my own B standard playlist for guitar practice):
Carcass - Heartwork
At the Gates
Anaal Nathrakh (some of them are in C, but I know Vanitas is in B)
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (It might be just slightly not in B tuning thanks to some analog laziness)
Most Exumed albums, their earlier work is way more difficult
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
The Duskfall

Edit: remembered a few more because they're in my queue to learn or I forgot about them
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
Slowed Down Metallica
All Shall Perish - The Price Of Existence

Got most of these covered (Carcass, Entombed and E-Wiz are among my favorite bands). Haven't had much luck finding Dead Congregation tabs outside of a couple of songs. Or Tomb Mold, sadly.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 17, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looks like All Shall Perish plays in BF#BE. That I would play on my four-string. I'm talking more like ADGCF or just players that make use of all five in standard, ideally.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Looks like All Shall Perish plays in BF#BE. That I would play on my four-string. I'm talking more like ADGCF or just players that make use of all five in standard, ideally.

It's Drop B which you can effectively get away with on a 5 string with some transpositions

hankki
Nov 10, 2009

Amon Amarth
Benighted
Cannibal Corpse
Edge of Sanity
Giant Squid
Orphaned Land
Sanguisugabogg

Would you mind sharing the lists that you have made for different tunings on 4 string bass? Some what new bass player here and that sounds awesome and I need to start compiling my own lists asap.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

haven't really been keeping up with metal this year, been listening to a lot of jazz and 90s electronic music

been using the lists people are posting to catch up. witch vomit, brodequin, hoplites, and full of hell (unsurprisingly, they always kick rear end) are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Gatecreeper out today