Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Randalor posted:

... Psycho Mantis. That's literally Psycho Mantis. Well, okay, he also had telekinesis.

He had the power...to move your video game controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There was an X-Men character who had the power to explode but only once because he would die doing it. That would be a pretty lovely power.

I haven't read the whole Krakoa storyline but I guess he could explode more in that because they would just bring him back to life?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

There was an X-Men character who had the power to explode but only once because he would die doing it. That would be a pretty lovely power.

I haven't read the whole Krakoa storyline but I guess he could explode more in that because they would just bring him back to life?

That is what happened, yes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

The worst power would be telepathy without being able to block out all the thoughts you want to not hear. Like, imagine being even in a small town and having to hear everyones thoughts and you can't develop a way to block out the useless/bad stuff you are seeing.

Literally a Buffy episode.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Maybe we all have the power to explode, how would we know

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm not gonna try!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hovering just off the ground sounds pretty fun.

Outside, yes. Indoors, that 2" would mean I'd be constantly cracking my head on doorframes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've had enough depression to know that if I had the power to make myself explode with a stray thought I would be a crater in the ground by now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how do they even know if they really have the power if they never even used it or been revived?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

how do they even know if they really have the power if they never even used it or been revived?

Cerebro has some ability to figure out what a mutant's powers are. There are some extremely fuckin' lame mutant 'powers' like 'smells like spiders'

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying!!

ImpAtom posted:

I've had enough depression to know that if I had the power to make myself explode with a stray thought I would be a crater in the ground by now.

ImpAtomBomb

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Honestly I always thought Superman's Vision/Sight combo would just be an unending hell. You see through everything, hear everything and it never ends. It's inconsistent whether he can turn it on and off but even if his hearing is always on that is a nightmare.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

That is what happened, yes

Why do people fear mutants? *makes mutant suicide bombers*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I was in university and hotfooting it across campus I always wanted the power to just hover slightly and move by skating, like my favorite bad guy robot from Gundam

Then heelies came out, and I recognized what a stupid loving idea that was if you don't normally skate and also don't have feet the size of garbage can lids to help keep you upright

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Why do people fear mutants? *makes mutant suicide bombers*

To be far by Krakoa they'd moved to "You were right to fear us", it was a whole thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My Adventures with Superman kind of plays with that, he mentions his superhearing to Jimmy in an episode and is like "I hear everyone all the time, and you know what?" "What?" "They all have problems!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Superman!!! Save her!"

"Who? Huh?"

"That lady! She's being attacked! Don't you hear the screaming?"

"Yeah. I hear the screaming.

I hear so, so much screaming."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The much-superior director's cut of the Affleck Daredevil movie has a scene where Matt is about to spend some time in a sensory deprivation tank just so he can get some good sleep, and he hears a lady crying out as she's being attacked, and chooses to get to sleep rather than go out and help her, because he can't do everything and he's exhausted, and it is emotionally affecting and visually striking. So of course it got cut

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TGG posted:

Honestly I always thought Superman's Vision/Sight combo would just be an unending hell. You see through everything, hear everything and it never ends. It's inconsistent whether he can turn it on and off but even if his hearing is always on that is a nightmare.

I can’t stop imagining everything about Superman would be a living hell. You can crack the world in half with your bare hands. Every time you hug or kiss or so much as touch your loved ones, you gotta be constantly terrified of the fact that one wrong twitch could demolish them completely. Roll over too forcefully in your sleep and that’s it. God forbid you sneeze. It must be horrible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Phylodox posted:

I can’t stop imagining everything about Superman would be a living hell. You can crack the world in half with your bare hands. Every time you hug or kiss or so much as touch your loved ones, you gotta be constantly terrified of the fact that one wrong twitch could demolish them completely. Roll over too forcefully in your sleep and that’s it. God forbid you sneeze. It must be horrible.

Hence this speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Dude just did several 9s/11

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Haha holy poo poo I've never seen Superman so hulked out

His head looks so tiny in that space between such broad shoulders.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
He can't see through his eyelids right? Like I've heard that astronauts in space constantly see lights from cosmic radiation when they close their eyes and that sounds horrifying, I can't imagine being able to see always. Like how would he even sleep? How does he work, his existence is just an utter nightmare to think about.

The fact that he can not be a cosmic horror makes him so much more impressive.

TGG has a new favorite as of 22:55 on May 15, 2024

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

Haha holy poo poo I've never seen Superman so hulked out

His head looks so tiny in that space between such broad shoulders.

That's just Bruce Timm's art. All his dudes are massive triangles.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, My Adventures With Superman WAS amazing and should be watched by everyone.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TGG posted:

Yeah, that was the whole point of this scene in Man of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdFURryKjA

So much so that they call back to it when he's fighting Zod, and reference again in BvS when he's trying to find his mom after Luthor kidnaps her

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
apparently in the bad superman ripoff comic Irredeemable, The Superguy spends time in the vacuum of space/the moon to get away from all the noise. (oh and then something super bad happens and then he snaps and goes killing all the Bad)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PhazonLink posted:

apparently in the bad superman ripoff comic Irredeemable, The Superguy spends time in the vacuum of space/the moon to get away from all the noise. (oh and then something super bad happens and then he snaps and goes killing all the Bad)

The super bad thing was he tells not-Louis Lane and she immediately responds by telling the world

At least I think it was, it's been over a decade since I read it last

Len has a new favorite as of 02:55 on May 16, 2024

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I remember that bit, he tells her he's "Superman" and she just hops right on air in the radio show or whatever they are doing and goes "This lying gently caress is Superman and has been lying to me and all of us all the whole time, Clark is Superman!" He pretty much breaks from there, ends up turning into a way worse Homelander, destroys most of the world, travels to another dimension, travels back in time and inspires Siegel and Shuster to create Superman and then blinks out of existence. Good comics there.

Also I think Lex Luthor is gay for him.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that’s pretty funny that she immediately spills

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

well why not posted:

that’s pretty funny that she immediately spills
She's pretty mad that her famous crush (boyfriend? I forget) had been hanging around her in disguise every day for years pretending to be her doofus friend and confidant.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Literally a Buffy episode.

Something similar also happens to Arthur Dent in Hitchiker's Guide, though this time he learns the language of birds only to find out that all they're talking about is uninteresting dreck that he now can't unhear.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Splicer posted:

She's pretty mad that her famous crush (boyfriend? I forget) had been hanging around her in disguise every day for years pretending to be her doofus friend and confidant.

There's a similar story that's the reverse of that in Astro City - the 'Lois Lane' character comes up with all sorts of wacky schemes to reveal 'Superman's identity, and when she finally succeeds, he's like "What the hell, couldn't you respect my privacy?" and flies off into space never to be seen again.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I barely remember that comic but I do remember that for a book called Irredeemable they spend a good amount of time trying to redeem that guy.

Also drat Astro City is good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TGG posted:

Also I think Lex Luthor is gay for him.

Well that's just canon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TGG posted:

I barely remember that comic but I do remember that for a book called Irredeemable they spend a good amount of time trying to redeem that guy.

Also drat Astro City is good.

That kind of makes sense. He’s irredeemable, but proving that requires a fair number of tries at doing it in the first place. The title would only be undercut if any of them actually succeeded.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Arivia posted:

That kind of makes sense. He’s irredeemable, but proving that requires a fair number of tries at doing it in the first place. The title would only be undercut if any of them actually succeeded.

I don't remember if he ever really does, I just remember Superman sinking Singapore.

Can't say I blame him too much for that, though. We all have rough days.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He doesn't, the idea of the comic is that he was never a good guy, but a nice guy.

The elevator pitch was 'What if Superman couldn't stop reading youtube comments about himself.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He doesn't, the idea of the comic is that he was never a good guy, but a nice guy.

The elevator pitch was 'What if Superman couldn't stop reading youtube comments about himself.'

Heh, Megamind had Superman as a Nice Guy.

And come to think of it, there's a reason all the actual good Superman media, and even the drat Silver Age stuff, has Superman have internal and external dialogue and overall themes about his self perception, ethical dilemmas, and how he considers it important to be seen as a hero to be actually be able to effectively be a hero. That if he fucks up any of that poo poo gets real scary real fast is probably one reason why 'Evil Superman' stories still end up working; because there's lots of ways to explore how it can go wrong. TV Homelander is basically Superman with morals as taught by modern capitalist America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It does go into how he ended up like that but "explanation" and "redemption" aren't the same thing.