Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunkey is genuinely an rear end in a top hat and if he's an 'inoffensive' Youtuber that speaks more poorly for Youtube Creators than it does praises him.

It also has nothing to do with Animal Well which is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He is good at clowning around in games and makes me laugh sometimes, idk why there needs to be war fought over whether he is Good or Bad

Dancer
May 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Dunkey is genuinely an rear end in a top hat and if he's an 'inoffensive' Youtuber that speaks more poorly for Youtube Creators than it does praises him.

It is exceedingly hard to succeed at The Algorithm without developing a persona that is obnoxious in some way. It is an art to do that without becoming actively toxic, or just not funny. I blame that more on the system than the people, but yes it does mean that most people (at least, most you can find) are unfunny or annoying.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ImpAtom posted:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm nearing the last act of Blasphemous and I don't know if I can be bothered finishing this last Miriam challenge. I know I can get it but these things are really long given how easy it is to die instantly, and then you have to start the whole thing over.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I'm nearing the last act of Blasphemous and I don't know if I can be bothered finishing this last Miriam challenge. I know I can get it but these things are really long given how easy it is to die instantly, and then you have to start the whole thing over.

They were postgame DLC as a bit of a challenge, don't feel like you're missing anything of note if you don't complete them. I don't even remember what the ultimate reward was for doing them all.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Saw a bit of animal well on stream and that cat thing didn't seem like a fun time. Are there a lot of unkillable enemies in the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

Saw a bit of animal well on stream and that cat thing didn't seem like a fun time. Are there a lot of unkillable enemies in the game?

It isn't really a game about combat.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

guppy posted:

The first few of these were kind of fun/novel. The fourth one took me an hour to get which was the threshold for "not fun". For the last one, I ended up modding the game to make spikes not instant kill (just respawn on the last stable platform) and it still took a few tries.

Whatever the reward was, I'm not sure it was even worth the effort to cheat for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Was it here someone was recommending Aeterna Noctis? I just noticed it's available from Fanatical as part of a bundle where you pick two games for $5.99 total

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
It's kind of incredible how much better Miriam looks in Blasphemous' pixel art.

Also kind of funny that she is introduced legs first in an otherwise incredibly unsexy game full of armor and really ugly people.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Spermanent Record posted:

Only all of them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Finished Blasphemous with ending C. It's a bit too cryptic at times, but terrific game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dunkey is a jerk but if you're not going to buy a game cause the publisher is owned by jerk then uh.

Enjoy a small handful of self published games I guess?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I don't see where the Dunkey hate is coming from other than goon contrarianism. He's put out 4 videos in the last week alone plugging Animal Well, I'm sure it would have been a moderate success even without, but he's done a helluva lot more than more publishers do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

I don't see where the Dunkey hate is coming from other than goon contrarianism. He's put out 4 videos in the last week alone plugging Animal Well, I'm sure it would have been a moderate success even without, but he's done a helluva lot more than more publishers do.

Are you unironically trying to claim publishers don't put out videos advertising their games?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He talks like he has marbles in his mouth. I don't care how he is personally.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Are you unironically trying to claim publishers don't put out videos advertising their games?

How many of those publishers have 7.5 million subscribers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

How many of those publishers have 7.5 million subscribers?

Most of them, since the videos are put out on every major website, as well as the ones who have more subscribers than that on their own (such as Nintendo's 9.5 million.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
also whether dunkey is an rear end in a top hat or whether people who like popular youtubers actually are people or are just philosophical zombies or llms in human form is independent of whether he is doing a good job as a publisher. it seems like he is because animal well is getting a lot of buzz.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Most of them, since the videos are put out on every major website, as well as the ones who have more subscribers than that on their own (such as Nintendo's 9.5 million.)

Search youtube for any recently released metroidvania and see how low the view counts are. You're delusional if you think Dunkey wasn't a huge part of the games success.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

Search youtube for any recently released metroidvania and see how low the view counts are. You're delusional if you think Dunkey wasn't a huge part of the games success.

I'm sorry someone insulted your favorite Youtube person but the only person responsible for Animal Well's success is Billy Basso and it's goddamn insulting to pretend otherwise. Like... you do know indie games go on to be successes without Dunkey's help, right? He's the publisher but he is not, in fact, doing anything special as far as publishing goes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its cool that famous youtuber Dunkey was able to solo develop and release his own game while maintaining a long-running and successful youtube career

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this is the stupidest slapfight i've seen in recent memory

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry someone insulted your favorite Youtube person but the only person responsible for Animal Well's success is Billy Basso and it's goddamn insulting to pretend otherwise. Like... you do know indie games go on to be successes without Dunkey's help, right? He's the publisher but he is not, in fact, doing anything special as far as publishing goes.

OK you're a moron and this is a waste of time. There are plenty of great games that never get the success they deserve because of a lack of attention/ marketing.
Why don't we wait to see what Billy has to say on the subject?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

OK you're a moron and this is a waste of time. There are plenty of great games that never get the success they deserve because of a lack of attention/ marketing.
Why don't we wait to see what Billy has to say on the subject?

Yes, that is true. That also has literally nothing to do with what you said, which is

Koburn posted:

he's done a helluva lot more than more publishers do.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Control Volume posted:

Its cool that famous youtuber Dunkey was able to solo develop and release his own game while maintaining a long-running and successful youtube career

Not to mention promote it to an unprecedented degree. What a legend.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ciaphas posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And that's why dunkey sucks

I have to listen to people argue poo poo I couldn't care less about

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Wow dunkey should cover this argument on Drama Monday.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ciaphas posted:

:hmmyes:

Please stop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Seen a few positive reviews of Venture to the Vile. anyone played it yet?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

Dunkey in particular? Sure. But is good publishing a factor? Tremendously. Making indie games is a strange magic that turns several years of labor into six months worth of paycheck. Stream is loving littered with the corpses of great indie games that never earned back even a grand. The rare successes were, nearly without exception, buoyed by extensive publisher promotion.

Anyways, in the handful of weeks Animal Well has been out it has earned an estimated 10 times the revenue that La Mulana 2 has for the entire time the latter has been out (on steam).

I don't have any real opinion on Dunkey one way or the other but he seems to be doing something right.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 22, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

No they loving don't, lol. Making indie games without a publisher is a strange magic that turns several years of labor into six months worth of paycheck. Stream is loving littered with the corpses of great indie games that never earned back even a grand. The rare successes were, nearly without exception, buoyed by extensive publisher promotion. Believing otherwise is almost insultingly naive — you're not championing the handful of indie games that made it, you're making GBS threads on every developer who put years of their work into a fantastic game that sold 50 units.

Anyways, in the handful of weeks Animal Well has been out it has earned an estimated 10 times the revenue that La Mulana 2 has for the entire time the latter has been out (on steam).

I don't have any real opinion on Dunkey one way or the other but he seems to be doing something right.

I'm not really sure what you're going on here about because this entire conversation started with someone saying that Dunkey does things other publishers don't. Like you are claiming I'm wrong while literally agreeing with what I said, which is that other publishers also contribute to the success of indie games.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure what you're going on here about because this entire conversation started with someone saying that Dunkey does things other publishers don't.

Yeah my bad, I got a handful of posts twisted and came off stronger than I should have. I thought I caught myself in time, but you got to my post before I could edit it.

Still, Animal Well is a fantastic game but I don't know that it's a 10x as good a La Mulana game. Something went really well with its promotion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
La-Mulana is too narrowcast. Animal Well's Layer 1 is as digestible as any Nintendo game. La Mulana won't roll credits until you finish writing a dissertation on which giant is Fut and why Tiamat cares.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

This is from a while ago, but I thought I'd mention it:

Billy hired Dan Adelman (of former NoA fame) a few years ago to run business development and marketing for Animal Well. I don't know if he's actually credited as a producer on Animal Well or not, but since leaving Nintendo Dan has consulted in a similar role for Axiom Verge, Chasm, and Mages of Mystralia. He also briefly ran his own publishing label, Leadman Games, but reading between the lines it wasn't financially successful. I followed Dan for a while on Twitter but fell off when Twitter blew up, so I was a bit surprised to hear about Bigmode and Dunkey's involvement with Animal Well.

Well, turns out Dan wrote a blog post last year that explains the whole thing--Dan has the business experience and industry connections to successfully launch indies, but doesn't have a direct audience with players (an increasingly-relevant problem as influencers and algorithms drive player awareness these days), which Dunkey does. So they all decided to combine their strengths and work together on publishing Animal Well.

I haven't played Animal Well yet and I don't know much about Dunkey, honestly. That said, Axiom Verge is possibly my favorite modern indie game, in part because it is an expression of an artist's singular vision. That said, Tom has long admitted that Dan provided invaluable feedback during Axiom Verge 1 & 2s respective developments, and I don't doubt that they similarly provided Billy with such as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah my bad, I got a handful of posts twisted and came off stronger than I should have. I thought I caught myself in time, but you got to my post before I could edit it.

Still, Animal Well is a fantastic game but I don't know that it's a 10x as good a La Mulana game. Something went really well with its promotion.

It's well promoted but it also benefits a lot from having a lot of things that make people want to see it succeed. It's the smallest of the small indie projects, it's kind of more instantly accessible than La Mulana, you can play it on PSN+ for free, and in general it's the kind of game people want to do well. Dunkey pushing it obviously helps but I think in general it's the strong overall word of mouth that contributes. It's also kind of a 'right time, right place' moment for it since it isn't really overshadowed by anything. There's just a lot going for it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't even know why you guys are comparing Animal Well to La Mulana; they're barely even in adjacent genres imo. Might as well be comparing Super Mario to Getting Over It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
La Mulana is def much more intricate and generally much larger, but both games are way more similar than they are distinct.