Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This is from the 21 days before the election, so not really relevant now, but some context for when people say "polling is useless" or whatever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Not being flippant with this question: how close to the election should polls be to be considered something worth paying attention to?

Or is it more marked by events rather than an explicit time frame? Like, would the polls be considered to be more representative of reality once the initial debates happen?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Not being flippant with this question: how close to the election should polls be to be considered something worth paying attention to?

Or is it more marked by events rather than an explicit time frame? Like, would the polls be considered to be more representative of reality once the initial debates happen?

It's probably both events and average time to election (because events change the narrative and the facts and proximity to the election measures how much campaigning has happened and how much people are paying attention). By this point, the polls should be better than a coin flip, meaning that, given historical polling average results, Trump is more likely to win. The accuracy of the polls increases linearly, on average, the closer we get to the election.

Edit: And I don't think that polls are necessarily useless. It's just that the poll results are seemingly contrary to everything else at this moment. Women going for Biden +1 when he won them by 10 in 2020 pre-Dobbs seems hysterically wrong. Gaza and the protests being used as a reason for Biden's woes when neither are seemingly important and most voters want the police to crack even MORE protestor skulls/cracked them just enough to feel right to them. Republicans falling apart at the state levels and being unable to raise money, Republicans losing elections, Trump underperforming his primaries, no obvious reason why there should be such a massive realignment to Republicans/Trump since 2020, Trump being under multiple felony indictments, Trump being a proven rapist and fraudster.

small butter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 16, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Velocity Raptor posted:

I would start to worry around late August and early September if the numbers seem stubborn personally. The media coverage is going to start ramping up soon and especially with the conventions it will start setting narratives and people start paying attention again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Willa Rogers posted:

Polls are valuable for tracking voter sentiment over time (particularly among the same pollster) as well as helping candidates with messaging, maximizing GOTV demographics, and suggesting where & what their ad buys should be.

I guarantee that campaigns are caring about & paying attention to the polls (even those for downticket candidates), in spite of what they may be telling voters and/or feeding sympathetic media as talking points, and not waiting till September to do so.

Sure, but I am reasonably certain that nobody here is part of the Biden campaign and just about everybody that does post here is generically only interested in their capacity to predict the election. Which is almost but not quite null prior to June and something you can start worrying about around late august and something to actually panic about late september and are functionally accurate 3 weeks out from election day. Until then they can certainly be interesting for the reasons you brought up.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm fascinated by polling, not worried about it. I can certainly understand why polling stresses out others, and why they'd rather dismiss it than embrace it.

(edited bc of subsequent info I received)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 16, 2024

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Is it safe to assume that the 17% who blame Biden for the end of abortion rights are the same people who won't vote? The ones who slept through what little civics education they got?
doesn't matter, we're all hosed anyway

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I have come around to thinking that the polling, however shoddy and misinformed/misused isn't the problem.

The problem is the media's apparent inability to report on news effectively and this shift to pushing their opinion shows as news and then that gets reported on rather than just reporting. I think the media is more responsible than pretty much any other group for the current level of discourse. It's like the entire mediasphere is nothing but Jerry Springer and Morton Downey jr. on a constant repeat on every source.

Flooding the entire media apparatus with bullshit seems to be as easy as handing someone a five digit check. Watching the media walk us hand in hand down the slippery road to fascism with the normalizing of loving horrible people with horrible beliefs that should have never been given any sort of spotlight whatsoever is tough.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I don't think you can entirely blame the media for giving us Joe Biden, he's been in our government since before a lot of them were even born.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 hours!)

small butter posted:

Women going for Biden +1 when he won them by 10 in 2020 pre-Dobbs seems hysterically wrong.

Phrasing!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Is it safe to assume that the 17% who blame Biden for the end of abortion rights are the same people who won't vote? The ones who slept through what little civics education they got?
doesn't matter, we're all hosed anyway

It's tough to imagine many swing voters are supporting Trump because they think Biden destroyed abortion rights. It's almost entirely non-voters or people voting Biden/Trump for other reasons.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Personally, I like Joe Biden and am excited to vote for him

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i would guess the 17% who blame Biden for Roe are probably right wingers who saw the words 'blame ... Biden' and stopped thinking

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i would guess the 17% who blame Biden for Roe are probably right wingers who saw the words 'blame ... Biden' and stopped thinking

It says in the article that the bulk of them are Republicans who are pro-choice and seem to be rationalizing voting for Trump. However, another large chunk of them are people who may be Democratic voters, but don't pay attention and thought that Biden did it because it happened while he was President. The one woman they quote in the article thought that the President tells the Supreme Court what to decide and Biden had asked the Supreme Court to overturn Roe.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so dumbasses.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

so dumbasses.

Dumbasses wouldn't be a problem if there weren't so many of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

so dumbasses.

It's about 1/3 of the people who think that and about 2/3 of them are Trump-supporting Republicans.

But, that 1/3 makes up about 12% of people who say they lean Democratic in their votes. 12% of your base is a significant chunk and, even if they are dumbasses, they are still dumbasses who usually vote Democratic and their votes changing will have an impact because their votes count the same as everyone else.

It is going to be similar to the 2000 election. The election will be very close and there will be:

- Swing voters who vote for Trump because he will "bring down inflation" while promising a 10% tariff on all goods.
- Swing voters who are dumbasses and vote for Trump because they think Trump is more pro-choice.
- New ballot restrictions and the elimination of mail-in voting in a lot of places.
- Potential third-party candidate spoilers
- People who prefer one candidate, but don't vote because of enthusiasm or thinking both sides are the same.

All of those situations have the potential to tip a very close election or make an election close. In 2000, there were several things that could have tipped the election to Gore if they didn't work against him (third party voters, ballot restrictions, the Supreme Court, winning his home state/other close state, getting his base more enthused, having higher turnout, and irrational dumbasses), but they all did and they were all partly responsible. There wasn't a single thing that was 100% responsible because if a single one of those things had gone the other way, then Gore would have won. But, they all didn't go Gore's way and he lost.

Biden is absolutely going to benefit from some voters being complete dumbasses and voting for him for completely nonsensical reasons too. Dumbasses are still allowed to vote and their vote still counts as much, so their existence is still something that can impact the election. In a close election, being on the net losing end of the "dumbass" swing voter group can still be enough to sink you even if they aren't solely responsible, like what happened with Gore.

The question is going to be how/if the people who usually don't vote end up voting. Lots of the "dumbass" or not paying attention demographics are much less likely to vote as well.

The new Marist poll today shows what a lot of other polls have shown: That the likely voter is now more Democratic than average and the average registered voter is now more Republican than average. That is a huge flip from how it has been historically. Biden is at +5 with "Definitely" voters and +2 among registered voters in the new Marist poll and other polls show a similar gap between Likely/Definitely voters and registered voters/"all adult" samples. That is basically the only bit of good news he can consistently hang his hat on in recent polling. Even in polls where he is down significantly, there is a big gap in LV and RV screens now in favor of Democrats that was the exact opposite from the 1970's up through 2016.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1790602762889089248

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 16, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

so dumbasses.

They are not dumb necessarily, they are just liars. Dumb people can be good people. Liars cannot (especially the ones who lie as a facet of their strong embracing of fascism, which requires a fundamentally dishonest worldview).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

AsInHowe posted:

Personally, I like Joe Biden and am excited to vote for him

what's that like?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It could also be people who blame Biden because he didn't do enough, like packing the courts or whatever.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The I/P thing really sucks because this admin has done a boatload of great stuff and is easily the best and most progressive presidency of my lifetime, but it's really really hard to start that conversation with, "if you just set aside the support for genocide for a moment."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ColdPie posted:

The I/P thing really sucks because this admin has done a boatload of great stuff and is easily the best and most progressive presidency of my lifetime, but it's really really hard to start that conversation with, "if you just set aside the support for genocide for a moment."

"Best domestic policies in a really long time" and Netanyahu wants trump elected.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

ColdPie posted:

He is certainly passionate about trains and presumably having them run on time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Best domestic policies in a really long time" and Netanyahu wants trump elected.

This. There really isn't much Biden can do with two sides that are both getting what they want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Well, it's one of the least important issue to most americans

But maybe the polls are wrong about that too

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It could also be people who blame Biden because he didn't do enough, like packing the courts or whatever.

See : the uninformed.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I’m baffled at this site really thinking I/P is some slam dunk loss for Biden among young people. I am not really young anymore, but I am under thirty, and I am taking two undergrad classes at UNT. The vast majority of actual young people think the protests are annoying, with variants between “please get out of my way, I just want to go to class, this is useless” even among pro-Palestine people to “good” when the cops come.

Then factor in this is already the least likely demographic to vote, and the angriest were probably not voting Biden anyway,

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 16, 2024

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Aren't you that guy that keeps making up various outlandish details about his life?

Not sure we should take your anecdotal observations into account if so.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

soviet elsa posted:

I’m baffled at this site really thinking I/P is some slam dunk loss for Biden among young people. I am not really young anymore, but I am under thirty, and I am taking two undergrad classes at UNT. The vast majority of actual young people think the protests are annoying, with variants between “please get out of my way, I just want to go to class, this is useless” even among pro-Palestine people to “good” when the cops come.

Then factor in this is already the least likely demographic to vote, and the angriest were probably not voting Biden anyway,

Okay, that’s what you’ve said you’ve seen, but it is not supported in the actual polling on the issue.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

soviet elsa posted:

That's generally the mood I am seeing too. It's angry fundamentalism in a different wrapper, like the worst of the worst anti-abortion people.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

AsInHowe posted:

That's generally the mood I am seeing too. It's angry fundamentalism in a different wrapper, like the worst of the worst anti-abortion people.

I do not believe these are equivalent causes.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I think this is an interesting comparison because angry anti-abortion crusaders point at millions of imaginary dead children, and angry anti-genocide crusaders point at thousands of actual dead children, and somehow these are comparable complaints?

It feels like you maybe didn’t think this take through! Not to mention that the anti-abortion folks are very, very likely to be 100% aligned with the current strategy of propping up Israeli Trump and his genocide.

I don’t think that’s a very good comparison. I think maybe some of the fundamental realities on the ground make the two pretty different; especially since we’ve made it almost impossible for federal tax money to fund an abortion, and almost impossible to prevent federal tax money from being spent on genocide.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah the student protestors sitting in tents on the lawn are just like these swivel eyed lunatics attacking clinics and maiming doctors, seems like a hard comparison to swallow. The "violent student protestors" would have been dealt with by the police I believe by now, and many of these demonstrations are still on-going.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 16, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

It's tough to imagine many swing voters are supporting Trump because they think Biden destroyed abortion rights. It's almost entirely non-voters or people voting Biden/Trump for other reasons.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't think it's people thinking that Biden himself destroyed abortion rights, so much as it's people thinking that he could have definitely stopped Roe from being overturned if he really wanted to, and therefore the decisive factor in the overturn of Roe was his refusal to simply block the overturn from happening.

I wish I could say that this was solely due to people who don't understand politics blindly assuming that the current president tells the Supreme Court what to do. But the reality is that even this thread has seen a fair few posts asserting that the Dems share a significant portion of culpability in Dobbs because they didn't codify Roe in 2009, or because they didn't codify it in 2022, or because they didn't declare the Supreme Court illegitimate and pack it, or because they didn't declare that Dobbs should simply be ignored by the government, or whatever. And of course there's plenty of that poo poo on Twitter and other social media too. There are people out there who are interested enough in US politics to be posting in politics discussion spaces for fun in their free time, yet are seemingly more interested in hurling blame for Dobbs at the Democrats than at the Republicans.

It's not very many people, no, but it's enough that I'm not terribly shocked to see a low double-digit percentage of self-proclaimed Democrats blaming Biden for Dobbs.

ColdPie posted:

If this isn't your first US election ever, then you should already have plenty of practice convincing yourself and possibly others to vote for candidates who were a lot less progressive and substantially more pro-genocide.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Joe Biden’s career long belief in Zionism is unique even compared to men like Harry Truman, and he has been an enthusiastic participant in and supporter of Israel’s decades long genocidal campaign against the Palestinian people, long, long before this latest phase.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel that if you know what court packing is in the first place you are sufficiently politically informed to understand how and why Roe was overturned and that it wasn't Biden's fault

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nonsense posted:

Yeah the student protestors sitting in tents on the lawn are just like these swivel eyed lunatics attacking clinics and maiming doctors, seems like a hard comparison to swallow. The "violent student protestors" would have been dealt with by the police I believe by now, and many of these demonstrations are still on-going.

Many parts of the general American public are kind of rotten and willfully ignorant of world events. I wouldn't direct too much ire at what soviet elsa is saying since it just seems like an observation.

This kind of reminds me of how a majority of American people in the 1960s in favor of the War in Vietnam until 1968? Aside from the personal stakes that came for many Baby Boomers of potentially getting drafted, it only became unpopular when it started sinking in that it was not a war the US going to win with effort it was willing to put in.

You guys probably have better article examples, but this came up with some quick Googling.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/07/opinion/l-polls-tell-us-no-more-than-where-we-are-vietnam-war-opinion-139188.html

I feel like we kind of have a similar dynamic here. A lot of people agree that the situation sucks, but a good percentage of people don't want to hear about it and among the people willing to think about it, there isn't a great critical mass agreement on the way to resolve it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

Okay, that’s what you’ve said you’ve seen, but it is not supported in the actual polling on the issue.

Here's some actual polling on the issue

zoux posted:

Well, it's one of the least important issue to most americans

But maybe the polls are wrong about that too

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A bunch of pro-Biden ads locally focus on abortion, which fair, but if he could cut some ads tooting all the consumer protection stuff that got passed recently that would be even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A bunch of pro-Biden ads locally focus on abortion, which fair, but if he could cut some ads tooting all the consumer protection stuff that got passed recently that would be even better

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1791108742357848097

Thomas, of all people, writing the opinion affirming the constitutionality of the CFPB