Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Bramble posted:

Is that saying there is a 99% chance a male relative is the child’s father? I am definitely having trouble following that statement.

To me it looks like. "It is possible you are the father. It is possible your male relative is the father. One of those possibilities is 99% likely." Which ... Yeah, that's confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

But don't DNA tests have a hard time distinguishing between siblings in general?!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the only thing i remember from band of brothers is when that one dude finds a flower and then i think he gives it to a nurse and they get married after the war iirc

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

DreamingofRoses posted:

Lol, someone else about to blow up their family:

I (34M) did a paternity test on my toddler son. Results were…confusing. Should I ask my brother (32M) to also take a paternity test?!

Man, those results contain some anodyne phrasing. I can almost hear somebody chewing their lip as they block out a neutral way of phrasing "one of your immediate family has cucked you".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DreamingofRoses posted:

Lol, someone else about to blow up their family:

I (34M) did a paternity test on my toddler son. Results were…confusing. Should I ask my brother (32M) to also take a paternity test?!

OP posted:

I will call them to get clarity. Just never seen results with that last half of the verbiage about another potential relative…

You have to wonder just how many paternity test results this guy has read

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Well like it or not he did the test to get clarity and, it doesn't seem like he has it yet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I feel like whatever way you slice it “The possibility exists that a direct relative of the alleged father could not be excluded” is redundant phrasing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Band of Brothers is an incredibly moving, powerful piece of media and I will never, ever watch it again. Someone upthread said that people who like war films are sociopaths, but I think BoB is pretty much the antithesis of that.
I love all the scenes where Wild Bill kills a bunch of Germans with a Tommy gun

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

TACD posted:

I feel like whatever way you slice it “The possibility exists that a direct relative of the alleged father could not be excluded” is redundant phrasing

But on TV when they say "you're the father" they don't heavily caveat the statement with the possible implication that your dirty cheating brother could still considered due to DNA familiarity.

Dude just needs to know when he can start throwing the furniture around before security stop him.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

TACD posted:

It reads like somebody screwed up when they were trying to edit their boilerplate text into a final document

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Somebody reported me as being in emotional trouble on Reddit (got this saccharine message about how help is available, call this hotline). The message has a button to click if you believe you received this message in error. It leads to a page with absolutely no way to report the message being in error.

Sigh. Reddit has r/AskHistorians, r/Sewing, r/HistoricCostuming, and a couple of other pages I find useful, to fend off the inevitable "Why are you posting on Reddit?" questions.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody reported me as being in emotional trouble on Reddit (got this saccharine message about how help is available, call this hotline). The message has a button to click if you believe you received this message in error. It leads to a page with absolutely no way to report the message being in error.

I'm pretty sure if you just hit the generic "report" button on the DM, then Reddit admins should come down on whoever weaponized the "REDDIT CARES" system against you. It's apparently been an increasing problem on the site lately.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Chewbecca posted:

That town was pretty though, if I ever came back to America I'd want to see it in person, assuming it exists

The entire town is a set piece in Hollywood. You can tell whenever they zoom out enough, you'll see golden rocky hills in the background. And certain other scenes when they're traveling there will be oak trees and dead grass and socal foliage. They said all the winter scenes were done with instant mashed potatoes standing in for snow, so they're really wearing big coats in 80 degree weather stamping around in dehydrated potatoes

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for being snarky with my MIL after she made rude comments about my name and saying she didn't want her grandchild named like me?

quote:

My husband and I are expecting a baby. We have not announced the name or the sex of our baby yet. This will be announced after our baby is here. After we are positive the name will be going on the birth certificate and when most people will hopefully know it's extra rude to make negative comments about names. We do expect negative thoughts. It feels like my ILs, especially, have very weird ideas on names. The name Alexander is fine but Alex or Alec are horrific. Jacob is a great name but Joshua is awful. Ava is so sweet but Ada is cruel to give to a child. You get the idea. My husband's brother and his wife have a little girl called Lily and the comments because they announced during the pregnancy were awful.

The other element of all of this is my name. My name is unique and nature. Think Ocean and Lark type unique and nature lol. I love my name. Always have. I wear my name with pride as a 30 year old woman.

My MIL hates my name. She has never said anything to me before now but I heard her and FIL discuss my name and MIL make some very rude comments about my parents for naming me what they did. When my husband and I announced my pregnancy MIL asked about names and my husband told her we weren't going to reveal the name until after the birth. She asked enough times after this that my husband has told her to stop, has shushed her and we also walk away sometimes.

She told me it was worrying how quiet we are being and please tell me we're not going with something as truly awful as my name is. She told me she doesn't know what my parents were smoking or how much they resented me when I was being born but that she did not want that for her grandchild. She told me a normal name was needed. She told me she knows I wear my name with so much pride and it better not give me ideas to think it's okay to name her grandchild that way.

I told her not to worry, she wouldn't have to worry about what her grandchild's name is because we wouldn't dare make her put up with us anymore and we should say goodbye now. She was horrified and made it clear that wasn't what she meant. I smiled at her sweetly and said I couldn't possibly ruin her life anymore by making her interact with someone whose name offends her so much. And I told her not to worry because we'd make sure the name we chose goes on the birth certificate before anyone finds out now.

My husband heard the last part of what I said and laughed and we left because gently caress that noise. MIL wasn't happy and she told me I responded like a petulant child and now her worry is worse because she's so certain this will be another Lark or Ocean type name.

AITA?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for spending my son's university fund on a trip to Europe to drink beer like I always threatened instead of giving it to his step brother after he passed away.

quote:

My son was smart. Smarter than me. I almost requested a paternity test because he was so drat intelligent. THAT IS A JOKE.

My ex and I divorced when he was about 12. She remarried when he was 14. I did when he was 16.

I had an RESP set up for him. That's a education fund in Canada. As long as he went for post secondary education he could use the money for anything.

I always told him that I was okay with him not going to university. That way I could use the money I had saved up for him to go to Belgium and buy some beer from monks that only allow you to buy one case.

He knew I was joking and he always played along. He wouldn't let me get his goat.

When he got accepted to McGill it was the proudest moment of my life. I took him out for a beer to celebrate his achievement and mourn the loss of my trip to Europe.

My son was struck and killed by a drunk driver in March. I'm dealing with it. My ex is dealing with it. My wife has been nothing but my rock in this. She is holding me up.

I was dealing with the funeral arrangements and everything when my ex came to talk to me about his money. She knew he had a scholarship and was just going to use the money for living expenses and an emergency fund. She asked me what I was going to do with it.

I said I was going to do what I always said I would. I was going to Europe to drink beer. She asked if she could have it for her step son. I thought about it and said no. Her husband is a decent enough person but he made it clear that he wasn't responsible for any expenses for my son. Beyond food and shelter and stuff obviously. Like I said he is decent.

I said I was not going to do that. I was going to go drink beer in my son's honour.

She says I'm wasting thousands of dollars. And I guess I am. I have to give back the government portion of the fund. But I don't care.

My ex thinks I'm being stupid and irresponsible wasting my son's money like this.

I don't care.

My son would laugh his rear end off if he knew I actually did it.

:therapy: but get hosed ex wife you vulture.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mx. posted:

AITA for being snarky with my MIL after she made rude comments about my name and saying she didn't want her grandchild named like me?

I would double down on the nature names.

"HI grandma! Meet Fern Tsunami!"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hughlander posted:

AITA for spending my son's university fund on a trip to Europe to drink beer like I always threatened instead of giving it to his step brother after he passed away.

I also don't think there's any real ground to go 'but they're family' if the kid's stepdad didn't claim his as family and didn't want to spend more than the basics on him. Like... it sounds like ex wife and her husband decided it was okay if their sons weren't family, actually.

Horrific thing to deal with, losing a kid so young.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hughlander posted:

Normally I'd think something was off about using your dead kid's savings account on a vacation so soon after the event, but in this case it sounds like a pretty meaningful part of the grieving process.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Normally I'd think something was off about using your dead kid's savings account on a vacation so soon after the event, but in this case it sounds like a pretty meaningful part of the grieving process.

I agree, but I'd add that even if the guy was doing something off and uncool, I'd still cut him a lot of slack as long as he wasn't hurting the surviving members of his family. Step-children of exes are not family members. I think we can all agree on that.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I (30F) might've met my husband's (37M) mistress... Are these red flags?

quote:

For context, I'm giving birth to our second child next month. This pregnancy has been hard and we have definitely drifted apart, or it feels that way to me. He was always very interested in me sexually, even during my last pregnancy and now he isn't interested in being intimate at all unless I initiate. His mood towards me has been completely different as well lately, he just seems constantly annoyed with me although I haven't done anything. He doesn't have the same level of empathy I felt he used to have.

So here's the actual situation...

I had this very strange encounter at my husband's recent work function with one of his coworkers (F, unsure of age). I generally believe myself to be very observant of social undercurrents, non verbal communication, etc. so although I know none of what I'm about to say was overt proof, I felt some extremely strange vibes and I'm not sure if I'm just going crazy from pregnancy hormones or if there might be something worth confronting him about more seriously.

First, my toddler and I arrived to the party together. She immediately made a beeline for me and my toddler (I'm fairly sure she was one of the first people I spoke to before I could say hi to anyone else and this was our first time meeting each other). The whole party she was making this very concerted effort to "bond" with my toddler, which was strange to me. It was far beyond what you'd expect of someone who "just loves kids" as she said a million times. She kept trying to be very buddy-buddy with me as well, at multiple points coming to sit next to me but then as soon as my husband came she would jump up and leave.

Second, she knew EVERYTHING about my life & my husband's life. Things that I don't understand why he would've told her unless they are close, yet when I confronted him about how strange she was towards me and how much she knew about our private life, he acted like they never talk or see each other or have any relationship at all. This is what made me the most suspicious. Like how does she know all the intricacies of everything in our life without ever talking to him?

Maybe it's not a full-on affair but if they're just friends then why would he lie? He has multiple female friends at work and elsewhere. I'm not a jealous person about his friendships with women, I invite them over and include them in everything I can! I make an effort to have all of his friends of whatever genders be a part of our life, so I don't understand why it would be something worth lying about. I've always trusted him.

I did confront him with these things and he just kind of shrugged it off, and said she's just weird. I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I can't tell if I'm being irrational because of the pregnancy or if these things are actually the red flags I feel like they are. Please help!! I need to know if I'm going crazy!!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Mx. posted:

People get really weird when it comes to names and naming children.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

you'll be please to know that Reddit is pretty much unanimous in telling this dude to go have a beer with the cool monks and tell the ex to get hosed

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

wheatpuppy posted:

AITA for telling my coworker that her clothes were inappropriate for the office?

quote:

she went and tattled to HR and our boss.
How dare she complain to management!

A few paragraphs earlier:

quote:

I complained to my manager...I asked her if anyone had talked to the upper management about it.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sigh. Reddit has r/AskHistorians, r/Sewing, r/HistoricCostuming, and a couple of other pages I find useful, to fend off the inevitable "Why are you posting on Reddit?" questions.

There’s apparently a bot reporting a lot of accounts to RedditCares right now

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

deoju posted:

How dare she complain to management!

A few paragraphs earlier:

"Get them in trouble with the adults" is supposed to be MY secret weapon.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

The Bramble posted:

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?

To me, this isn't about maintaining a relationship with extended family; I think she should cut her losses there and it shouldn't be part of the equation. it's about continuing the closure process with her grandmother (who she clearly had a conflicted relationship with, but evidently the loss hit her hard) and being there for her dad (who just lost his mom and for whom she seems to have very little empathy). Even if her immediate family is also a :sever: situation, which isn't clear to me, I think she would regret not attending given the nature of her own relationship with her grandmother.

Also, the ranking of what life events get priority is wedding > funeral > child's birthday > adult's birthday. In a big family, I could not imagine trying to account for every person's birthday or anniversary or whatever the gently caress while also dealing with all of the inevitable conflicts like "well Jim has his chemo treatment that day!" and "Frank and Beth's cruise they scheduled last year overlaps with that weekend" and "little Johnny's playing in the state championship that Friday" and so on and so on and so on. If whoever planning that funeral did the calculus and found a date where the only conflict is one grandkid's 31st birthday (a grandkid who hasn't been around for 5+ years), they were probably thrilled.

FMguru posted:

AITA Little sister got a new car and I left the party.

is this fanfiction of Daria and Quinn

Hughlander posted:

Oof, sad. But taking the story at face value, I think what he's doing is fine. Maybe if there was an extra wrinkle like "my son was extremely close with his step-brother who also wants to go to college but doesn't have the money" then the ex's request would make more sense to consider as a better way of grieving/honoring his son, but as it stands, he's got no reason to prioritize charity to this other kid.

Troublemaker posted:

I (30F) might've met my husband's (37M) mistress... Are these red flags?

She's right that it's very weird that her husband's coworker would know so much about them while her husband is claiming that they hardly know each other. I don't know if I would make the leap to "she's his mistress" but I can see why his non-answer would start some conspiratorial thinking.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

surf rock posted:

To me, this isn't about maintaining a relationship with extended family; I think she should cut her losses there and it shouldn't be part of the equation. it's about continuing the closure process with her grandmother (who she clearly had a conflicted relationship with, but evidently the loss hit her hard) and being there for her dad (who just lost his mom and for whom she seems to have very little empathy). Even if her immediate family is also a :sever: situation, which isn't clear to me, I think she would regret not attending given the nature of her own relationship with her grandmother.

Also, the ranking of what life events get priority is wedding > funeral > child's birthday > adult's birthday. In a big family, I could not imagine trying to account for every person's birthday or anniversary or whatever the gently caress while also dealing with all of the inevitable conflicts like "well Jim has his chemo treatment that day!" and "Frank and Beth's cruise they scheduled last year overlaps with that weekend" and "little Johnny's playing in the state championship that Friday" and so on and so on and so on. If whoever planning that funeral did the calculus and found a date where the only conflict is one grandkid's 31st birthday (a grandkid who hasn't been around for 5+ years), they were probably thrilled.

I think part of why she’s so mad about it because her parents made her move her wedding date because it fell on her aunt’s birthday years before.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is why I always say families are a waste. Everyone should be born out of a vat of goo and raised in a communal creche :colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another story on the classic template -

A: "If you do [THING], it's over"
B: Does [THING] "Whadaya mean, it's over?!?"

AITAH for leaving my fiancee after I learned there were strippers at her bachelorette party?

quote:

I(29M) and my ex-fiancee(29F) were together for 5 years. We should have been married now in the normal conditions but I broke up with her and cancelled the wedding 2 days before it because they invited male strippers to bachelorette party. I am personally not a fan of these parties but reluctantly agreed after both groom & bride side confirmed we would keep it simple. I told my ex-fiancee I am not comfortable with strippers or other kind of crazy things. She agreed. I also told my friends if they were to do a stupid thing without me knowing, we would have problems.

We stayed at my friends' summer house and chilled there by the pool, did some wow raids and played board games. My ex-fiancee and her friends went to a restaurant then rented an airbnb. There was no problem during the night and next day I asked how things went. She and her close friends said it was really chill and good. We returned to the city centre after that. I encountered another bridesmaid that day when I was shopping for a bracelet for my ex-fiancee for her upcoming birthday. I asked that girl how's everything as we were in the same department at the college but rarely talk now. She is closer with my fiancee than me. She said it's going good and last night was crazy with all the strippers. After saying that she looked uncomfortable. I asked her about the details but she was not willing to tell much. I think she realized she should not have talked about it. I laughed, said goodbye and left.

I confronted my fiancee and she seemed surprised about it. She was denying it first, then told me nothing crazy happened and one of the bridesmaids invited strippers. I reminded her that it was a strict boundary for me. I asked about the details but she said there was nothing much with strippers just solo dances and that's it. I told her I need some time to think. Almost all of the bridesmaids messaged me ensuring nothing happened when I was on my way back home(definitely not coordinated). Things happened after that but in the end I decided to break up and cancel the wedding. I lost some money since it was only 2 days before the wedding. Things are not cool right now. My head is messed up, I get criticism from everyone and no idea about what to do. My sister told me to see a therapist to process my thoughts and feelings. That is what I'll do next. Some mutuals suggested me that I should reconsider things and stop being so whiny about such a small thing. I do not think it's such a small thing especially when they all tried to hide it from me.
Dude sounds like a bit of a drip, but breaking the one boundary he set and (more importantly) trying to brazenly lie her way through it after getting caught means that OP did the right thing by pulling the plug.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

DreamingofRoses posted:

I think part of why she’s so mad about it because her parents made her move her wedding date because it fell on her aunt’s birthday years before.

Whoops, missed that. Alright, well, maybe it is a full-on :sever: situation.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

AITAH for eliminating a rattle snake after it threatened my niece and nephew?

quote:

My girlfriend broke up with me over this and had some choice words so I am hoping to get some clarification on my actions because truth be told, before my girlfriend and sister screamed at me, I felt like kind of a hero.

I am visting my family in Arizona for a graduation next week. I took my 8 and 6 year old niece and nephew for a walk along a paved trail that is literally right in the middle of the desert. They were running ahead and suddenly I heard them scream and came running back towards me. They said they had seen a rattle snake. My instincts kicked in and by the time I got to where it had been it was gone so I started looking around in the bushes. I got to about 50 feet off the trail and I found it hiding in a desert bush. I took a huge rock and took care of business. We were able to continue our walk with no further issues.

When I called my girlfriend she literally listened for one second and said that she was sick of me “not thinking things through” and she would be moved out when I got back next week. I was in shock because we have issues but I couldn’t believe it.

When I told my sister thinking she’d be more on my side, she said I didn’t eliminate a threat but I hunted down an innocent creature that was hiding. I said it’s a snake. She said she wasn’t sure but I’d probably broken some major laws. She says I have to apologize to the kids and I just can’t see why.

AITA?

Posted by Reddit user "Snakemaster2002"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Snakemurder guy should get his rear end kicked. Garbage person.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Whorelord posted:

Posted by Reddit user "Snakemaster2002"

His "instinct kicked in" what instinct? To kill?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
instinct to look very cool*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Here's someone pete-ing out from some absolutely monstrous parents.
AITA for telling my parents they need to find an alternative solution for long term care for my disabled siblings because I will not be the solution?

quote:

I (19m) have two older siblings who were both born with severe disabilities. Their disabilities are related to an inheritable gene that both my parents were carriers of, hence both of them having these disabilities. They had me so their disabled children would have someone to take care of them when they were gone. It was a gamble. I could have been disabled like my siblings and had an even higher chance at also being a carrier for the gene. My parents didn't look into that. They initially planned to adopt but they were rejected because of my siblings being disabled and it was decided they could not adequately care for another child on top of them. So they gave in and had me.

Once they knew I wasn't disabled at birth they no longer cared about my future because it was set in stone in their minds. I was raised to take over the care of both my siblings. I was taught what to do, how to do it and my parents interfered in my success.

They'd pull me out of school few enough times to cause trouble but timed just right to throw me off and leave me behind at school. Their aim was for me to do badly enough to either drop out or not graduate high school so then I wouldn't leave for college. But I worked my rear end off to do the best I could. My grades weren't great graduating but they were the best they could be given the circumstances.

I actually only learned about my risk of being a carrier in my final two months of high school. My parents didn't care because they never planned for me to marry or have kids, because again, I was supposed to be a carer the rest of my life.

I moved out of my parents house after high school and I'm in college now. My parents hate it. I'm mostly estranged and have not told them yet but I got checked for the gene, because I always wanted kids but I knew I didn't want to risk having children with the same disabilities as my siblings. I'm not a carrier (which is rare apparently but such a relief!!). But it made me more angry at my parents for not caring.

They leave voicemails pretty frequently shaming me for going to college and moving away and not supporting them or my siblings. They talked about how out of practice I will be. So I decided to call them and over the phone I told them I was not coming back and that they need to find an alternative solution for long term care for my siblings because I won't be the solution. I won't sacrifice the rest of my life to care for them. My parents told me that was disgusting to say and I should love my siblings more than enough to care for them, especially when they are the highest risk adults.

AITA?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FMguru posted:

AITAH for leaving my fiancee after I learned there were strippers at her bachelorette party?

Dude sounds like a bit of a drip, but breaking the one boundary he set and (more importantly) trying to brazenly lie her way through it after getting caught means that OP did the right thing by pulling the plug.

yeah I don't think I'd feel great starting a new life in a community where I knew everyone had lied and covered over breaking the one major boundary I requested for our bachelor/bachelorette parties because they decided I was being 'too sensitive' about it. I just get a sinking feeling in my stomach for this guy, for the moment he catches the bridesmaid lying. It's not even that anything untoward happened, it's that moment there. They gave him the gift of that 'I've been lied to' moment, and that makes them all assholes.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 16, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As someone who has killed a lethally poisonous snake before (grandma's orders) you're a loving idiot to A: actively seek out a snake that has fled and hid and is not in immediate view or close to people, and 2: use a rock and not at the very least a shovel or something with a long handle that minimizes risk of the snake biting you, especially one that's found cover and could potentially spring out at you.

If you're gonna do something hosed up at least do it properly.

Also I still feel bad. That was a pretty snake.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Whorelord posted:

My instincts kicked in and by the time I got to where it had been it was gone so I started looking around in the bushes. I got to about 50 feet off the trail and I found it hiding in a desert bush.

"Instinct kicked in" would be reasonable if the snake was near the kids and he killed it thinking he was protecting them, though really the best protection is just to get away from the snake. If he did just kill the snake in the heat of the moment, I'd say the GF was vastly overreacting. But the fact that the snake was at least 50 feet away and he had to go hunt it down means he had plenty of time to think about what he was doing, it wasn't a panic reaction, and GF is right that he did multiple things wrong. A. Rattlesnake is defensive, if it's 50' away it's not going to come track you down and bite you, so there's nothing to defend against and no reason to kill an animal. B. Rattlesnake is deadly, hunting it down with a rock is stupid and risky, a shovel or axe would be a better choice, though again 'don't go antagonize it' is still best. C. He's engaging in a an unnecessary deadly mission while he's the only adult with an 8 and 6 year old in the wilderness, if he had been bitten they'd have to handle the emergency. D. The snake might well be protected and he's risking charges or a fine for killing it.

With the way he told the story, I'm sure this isn't the first time he's done some dumb, risky nonsense under an excuse like 'instinct kicked in' and this was just the last straw.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

It was in the comments, I went and found it.

quote:

When I was planning my wedding, my fiancé and I at the time really wanted to get married on June 9. My parents told us that we couldn’t have our wedding that day because it was my aunt’s birthday. Yet my birthday was perfectly acceptable for a funeral…

Yeah. The basic gist of "The funeral is on my birthday" by itself is dumb and childish to at least some degree, I agree. But this isn't really about the funeral or the birthday. It's about the OP always being an afterthought at best and her family expecting her to bend over backwards to do everything to support them while not even acknowledging the pain it can cause her to be said afterthought.

OP is insufferable about it in the post at least, and I understand feeling like its a super dumb hill to die on. But it's not the birthday funeral that is the problem here. It's the pattern of behavior from the family. Her mother won't even acknowledge that she's hurt and that it's okay to feel hurt by it. Adults can be hurt by things, accept that pain, and then do what needs done anyway, but OP was never taught that, apparently. OP needs to sever and get therapy, because she is not coping well at all. But, she's not the real problem here, and neither is the funeral date.

Whorelord posted:

Ominous Jazz posted:

instinct to look very cool*

Animal abuse isn't cool. I thought we weren't sharing animal murder stories? Or am I genuinely being over-sensitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Animal abuse isn't cool. I thought we weren't sharing animal murder stories? Or am I genuinely being over-sensitive?

oh lemme be clear this dude sucks and killed an animal because he wanted to, not because it posed danger. he got to do violence and he's mad he's not being celebrated for it

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2024