Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

Okay, that’s what you’ve said you’ve seen, but it is not supported in the actual polling on the issue.

Isn't it? While polling has shown that a large portion of young people think there should be a ceasefire and generally disapprove of how Biden has handled Gaza, it has also generally shown that young people are not going to be deciding their 2024 vote based primarily on Biden's handling of Gaza.

I'll let this timely article from the Atlantic make the rest of the argument for me:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/05/biden-young-voters-gaza-israel/678377/

quote:

America’s young voters are fired up about the war in Gaza—aren’t they? Campus protests and the controversies around them have dominated media attention for weeks. So has the possibility that youth anger about the war will cost President Joe Biden the election. “Joe Biden Is Losing Young Voters Over Israel,” a USA Today headline declared last month. The New York Times columnist Thomas B. Edsall recently argued that nothing would help Biden more with young voters than negotiating a cease-fire in Gaza.

The available evidence, however, overwhelmingly suggests otherwise. For all the attention they’ve drawn, the campus protesters are outliers. Biden has a problem with young voters, but it does not appear to be because of Gaza.

This may feel counterintuitive. More than 80 percent of young people disapprove of the way Biden is handling the war, according to a recent CNN survey—the most of any cohort. And poll after poll shows Biden losing support among 20-somethings, the group that helped propel him to victory four years ago. In 2020, Biden won the 18-to-29-year-old vote by 24 percentage points. This time around, some polls suggest that the demographic is a toss-up between him and Donald Trump. If Biden is losing support from young people, and young people overwhelmingly object to his handling of the war in Gaza, a natural conclusion would be that the war is the reason for the lack of support.

But that’s a mistake, because there’s a big difference between opinions and priorities. People have all kinds of views, sometimes strong ones, on various topics, but only a few issues will determine how they vote. And very few Americans—even young ones—rank the Israel-Hamas war as one of their top political priorities.

“Obviously for some people it is the most important issue, and we need to respect that,” John Della Volpe, who directs polling at Harvard’s Institute of Politics, told me. “But what we’re seeing on college campuses, based upon this data, is not reflective of what the youth voter in general is thinking about.”

In the April 2024 edition of the Harvard Youth Poll, which Della Volpe runs, 18-to-29-year-olds rated the Israel-Palestine conflict 15th out of 16 possible priorities. (Student debt came last.) Among self-identified Democrats, it was tied for third from the bottom. In another survey of registered voters in swing states, just 4 percent of 18-to-27-year-olds said the war was the most important issue affecting their vote. Even on college campuses, the epicenter of the protest movement, an Axios/Generation Lab poll found that only 13 percent of students considered “the conflict in the Middle East” to be one of their top-three issues. An April CBS poll found that the young voters who wanted Biden to pressure Israel to stop attacking Gaza would vote for him at about the same rate as those who didn’t.

In fact, most young people don’t seem to be paying much attention to what’s going on beyond America’s borders. The 18-to-29-year-old age group is the least likely to say they’re following the war, according to a March survey from the Pew Research Center: 14 percent said they were closely tracking updates, while 58 percent said they weren’t following news of the conflict at all. “If you take a broader view, people who are in their teens and 20s are the least likely group of Americans to pay attention to politics, period,” David Barker, a professor of government at American University, told me. Many seem to be unsure how to feel about the war. “I think that the natural response for anybody, let alone young people, is just to be like, ‘Okay, what’s the price of milk?’” Barker said.

Granted, if 2016 and 2020 are any guide, the election will likely be so close that any Democratic defections could be said to have determined the results, particularly in the swing states that Biden needs to win. In 2020, young people voted for Biden by a bigger margin than any other age group. “This is going to come down to small numbers of votes in six or seven key states,” Robert Lieberman, a political-science professor at Johns Hopkins University, told me. Any change, no matter the size, “could tip the election one way or the other.” A New York Times/Siena College swing-state poll out this week found that 13 percent of people who said they voted for Biden in 2020, but don’t plan to in 2024, are basing their decision on the war in the Middle East or on foreign policy. That’s a sliver of a sliver of the population, far fewer than those who cited the economy or inflation—but any sliver could be the decisive one.

Even if people don’t vote based on the conflict itself, they might vote based on what it represents. The chaos of an international conflict, and the domestic protests it inspires, could contribute to the impression that Biden is not in control.

Still, with the election six months away, some experts predict that young voters will shift back toward Biden as they start paying closer attention to politics. If that doesn’t happen, it will likely be for the same reasons that are depressing his standing with other age groups—above all, the economy. “I ultimately expect that Biden’s fate will be determined less by something like this conflict in Gaza and more, frankly, by which direction inflation and unemployment go over the course of the next few months,” Barker said.

There’s no denying that the Israel-Palestine conflict, along with the related controversies emanating from it, has affected and will continue to affect domestic U.S. politics—and the moral questions posed by the war extend far beyond electoral calculations. But the issue is unlikely to trigger any demographic realignment. When it comes to the issues they care about most, young Americans appear closer to the overall electorate than to the activist groups that claim to represent them.

Yeah, if you ask the young folks "do you want a permanent ceasefire in Gaza?", they'll overwhelmingly answer "Yes". For example, when the Harvard Youth Poll asked them just that, look how they responded.

But if you ask them "what political issues are most important to you?", they mostly give answers like "inflation" and "housing costs", same as everyone else. And just like everyone else, they generally rank the war in Gaza as one of their least important issues. From that very same poll:

That suggests that while young people generally oppose Israel's campaign in Gaza, it's not going to be a significant factor in which candidate they choose, and they're going to be making their 2024 vote based primarily on other issues.

Now, is the 2024 election going to be close enough that the small percentage of people primarily concerned about Gaza could potentially decide the election? Sure, I guess, maybe. But any of the fourteen other issues that were more important to young voters than that could have an even larger impact on the election than that. Especially since many of those issues are important to the broader electorate as well, not just to young people specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A bunch of pro-Biden ads locally focus on abortion, which fair, but if he could cut some ads tooting all the consumer protection stuff that got passed recently that would be even better

What consumer-protection legislation "got passed" recently? I can't think of a piece of legislation that's passed Congress this year other than more money for Ukraine & Israel (which included the Tiktok bullshit).

I know there've been some agency rules changes under his administration, like tightening the airline-delay payouts, but I think what most consumers desire is protection from the cost of living exploding, and our current system isn't set up to do much about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

Thomas, of all people, writing the opinion affirming the constitutionality of the CFPB

Thomas has been bought off and is in the pocket of Big Consumer

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I found a legislation tracker that lets me sort by "became law" and I stand corrected: plenty of bills have passed this year & been signed, although most of them don't involve consumer protection.

Eg, this month to date these became law:

* Setting Consumer Standards for Lithium-Ion Batteries Act

* To direct the Consumer Product Safety Commission to establish a pilot program to explore the use of artificial intelligence in support of the mission of the Commission and to direct the Secretary of Commerce and the Federal Trade Commission to study and report on the use of blockchain technology and tokens, respectively

* Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2024, Part II

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

And just like everyone else, they generally rank the war in Gaza as one of their least important issues. From that very same poll:

That suggests that while young people generally oppose Israel's campaign in Gaza, it's not going to be a significant factor in which candidate they choose, and they're going to be making their 2024 vote based primarily on other issues.

This is the best issue importance poll format I've seen so far, the rest tend to just ask about the most important issue but this actually shows much deeper rank order data that a simple winner takes all style won't reveal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pier is pushed ashore.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjk4kr47mlvo

Looks like it happened overnight when the weather finally broke

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/gaza-strip-pier-project-is-completed-u-s-military-says

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Aren't you that guy that keeps making up various outlandish details about his life?

Not sure we should take your anecdotal observations into account if so.

apologies for posting about posters but it is relevant due to sharing anecdotes: yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Biden administration is blocking the release of the tapes of his interview with Special Counsel Robert Hur. This is the interview that led Hur to declare that a jury would most likely find Biden to be a confused old man with memory problems.

Biden himself said that was absurd, so you’d think he’d want the tapes to be released to prove that he doesn’t sound like a confused old man.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Willa Rogers posted:

What consumer-protection legislation "got passed" recently? I can't think of a piece of legislation that's passed Congress this year other than more money for Ukraine & Israel (which included the Tiktok bullshit).

I know there've been some agency rules changes under his administration, like tightening the airline-delay payouts, but I think what most consumers desire is protection from the cost of living exploding, and our current system isn't set up to do much about it.

Airlines, breaking the 6% realtors, I think there was something with internet speed

I guess these are executive actions and not laws, but w/e, you know what I mean

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I can see that for the fact that unless every second of those videos is perfect you're just handing soundbites to be chopped up for opposition ads as we go into prime ad season.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gripweed posted:

The Biden administration is blocking the release of the tapes of his interview with Special Counsel Robert Hur. This is the interview that led Hur to declare that a jury would most likely find Biden to be a confused old man with memory problems.

Biden himself said that was absurd, so you’d think he’d want the tapes to be released to prove that he doesn’t sound like a confused old man.

What's the purported upside of releasing it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The internet speed thing was an FCC action

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Eric Cantonese posted:

What's the purported upside of releasing it?

Proving that he didn’t sound like a confused old man? That’s the upside of releasing it, the downside of not releasing it is that everyone will assume that Biden really did sound like a confused old man.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the best presidential candidate the Democrats have to offer.

It just struck me how if Trump gets reelected, there is this string of no doubt well-intentioned people among the Democrats that will have directly contributed to this country’s demise despite the fact that they should have known better: Hillary, Badger-Ginsburg, Biden. A string of truly pathetic characters that lead to a tragic outcome.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn't they already release a transcript?

I guess releasing the video would address any questions about whether it was edited, is anyone credible asking those questions?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

I guess releasing the video would address any questions about whether it was edited, is anyone credible asking those questions?

Per CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/house-panels-contempt-garland-biden-audio/index.html

quote:

President Joe Biden moved to assert executive privilege over recordings of his interview with special counsel Robert Hur as House Republicans press ahead with contempt proceedings against Attorney General Merrick Garland over his refusal to turn over the files, a major escalation in a dispute over the recordings between the House GOP and the executive branch.

Republicans have seized on Hur’s description of Biden as a “well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory” in his final report, a characterization that Biden has disputed. Republicans say that access to the tapes would provide valuable information beyond what a written transcript can provide, but the Department of Justice has raised questions over whether the House GOP is seeking the audio files solely for political purposes and maintains they have distinct privacy concerns to protect.

House Republicans are taking their first step towards holding Garland in contempt on Thursday, with the House Oversight and Judiciary committees each holding markups on reports recommending a contempt of Congress resolution against Garland for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena. If passed out of the committees, the resolutions would next go to the House floor for a vote by the whole chamber. It is not clear when that vote would be held.

The special counsel report quickly became a political problem for the president, picking at the issue that has proven to be the most intractable for Biden: his age. The White House and Biden’s campaign reacted furiously to Hur’s characterization of the president, launching a fierce defense aimed to beat back the special counsel’s allegations that Biden was forgetful — particularly on the matter of whether the president recalled the year in which his son died.

House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan made clear his committee will continue moving forward with holding Garland in contempt despite the executive privlege invocation.

“This morning, we get an 11th-hour invocation of executive privilege. President Biden is asserting executive privilege for the same reason we need the audio recordings: They offer a unique perspective. This last-minute invocation does not change the fact that the Attorney General has not complied with our subpoena” Jordan said at the opening of his committee’s markup.

House Oversight Chair James Comer called the decision to assert executive privilege a “hail mary” that “changes nothing” about how his committee will proceed.

“It’s a five-alarm fire at the White House. Clearly President Biden and his advisors fear releasing the audio recordings of his interview because it will again reaffirm to the American people that President Biden’s mental state is in decline” Comer said in a statement.

Republican lawmakers had previously subpoenaed the audio recordings of Biden’s interviews, along with his ghostwriter, Mark Zwonitzer and other items from Hur’s investigation into Biden’s handling of classified information.

The White House pointed out that the Department of Justice has already provided the transcripts of the special counsel’s interviews with Biden and his ghostwriter, and has complied with the other aspects of the initial subpoena from Republicans.

“Because of the President’s longstanding commitment to protecting the integrity, effectiveness, and independence of the Department of Justice and its law enforcement investigations, he has decided to assert executive privilege over the recordings,” White House Counsel Edward Siskel wrote to House Oversight Chair James Comer and House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan.

Siskel accused Republicans of wanting to distort the audio recordings and criticized them for going after prosecutors they do not agree with.

“The absence of a legitimate need for the audio recordings lays bare your likely goal — to chop them up, distort them, and use them for partisan political purposes,” Siskel wrote.

In light of the White House asserting executive privilege, the Department of Justice called on House Republicans to cancel their scheduled contempt proceedings.

“With the information you now have, the Committees ought not proceed with contempt and should instead avoid unnecessary and unwarranted conflict,” Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legislative Affairs, Carlos Uriarte wrote.

Uriarte also defended the need to protect the audio tapes: “We have repeatedly made clear that disclosure of the subpoenaed audio recordings would damage future law enforcement efforts and that the Committees’ continued demands raise serious separation of powers concerns.”

The transcript of the two-day interview between Hur’s team and Biden was released in March ahead of Hur’s testimony before the House Judiciary committee.

Hur did not recommend charges against Biden in his report.

In April, CNN sued for access to the recordings of Biden’s interview.

Through their subpoenas to the DOJ, House Republicans have argued that the audio recordings are crucial to their impeachment inquiry into Biden, which remains stalled as the prospects of the investigation ending in impeachment are increasingly unlikely. Without the votes in their narrow majority or evidence of an impeachable offense, Republicans are now struggling with how to end their probe and are looking for ways to target other members of the Biden administration.

Garland denounced Republican-led attacks on the Justice Department in remarks following the announcement that Biden would assert executive privilege.

“The Justice Department is a fundamental institution of our democracy,” Garland told reporters at the Justice Department in Washington, DC. “People depend on us to ensure that our investigations and prosecutions are conducted according to the facts and the law and without political influence.”

The White House asserted executive privilege at the request of Garland, who wrote to the president on Wednesday.

In their contempt reports, Republicans stated that the DOJ does not get to determine what information is useful to their investigation, and argued that the verbal nuances of an audio recording provide unique insight into a subject that are not reflected in a transcript.

“The Constitution does not permit the executive branch to dictate to Congress how to proceed with an impeachment inquiry or to conduct its oversight,” the report reads.

Republicans, meanwhile, argue in their report that while the transcripts of the interviews reflect what was said, “they do not reflect important verbal context, such as tone or tenor, or nonverbal context, such as pauses or pace of delivery.”

Such pauses and inflections, Republicans claim, “can provide indications of a witness’s ability to recall events, or whether the individual is intentionally giving evasive or nonresponsive testimony to investigators.”

Republicans pointed to a recent example of when a transcript and audio recording of the president diverged, stating that at a speech last month, Biden read a teleprompter cue out loud during his speech, which was reflected in the recording of the event but not in the initial transcript of his remarks.

The House Oversight Committee pushed back the start time of its Thursday markup so that Republican committee members can attend the criminal no ytrial of former President Donald Trump in New York City, two sources familiar with the planning told CNN.

When asked to comment on the reason for the schedule change, an Oversight Committee spokeswoman told CNN, “Due to member schedule conflicts, the markup is now starting at a different time to accommodate members’ schedules.”

This story and headline have been updated with additional developments.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The Biden administration is blocking the release of the tapes to the House impeachment inquiry against him. That's an important detail you left out! This is not a request for releasing the tapes publicly, it's a request for releasing the tapes to the leaders of an active and rather blatant political hit job against Biden.

It's entirely reasonable for the Biden administration to be asking why the gently caress an impeachment inquiry needs something like that, especially when they already have the transcripts. I don't think Jim Jordan is going to use the tapes to make Biden look good!

It's also not really news. The DoJ has been refusing Republican demands for the tapes for weeks, with Garland and other DoJ figures claiming that they're concerned that witnesses will be less likely to cooperate in legitimate investigations if the DoJ makes a habit of handing their interviews to political kangaroo courts afterward. The only new thing today is that Biden has, at Garland's request, invoked executive privilege to block Republican moves to hold Garland in contempt of Congress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

The Biden administration is blocking the release of the tapes to the House impeachment inquiry against him. That's an important detail you left out!

Doesn’t that make it way worse to not release the tapes?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's also not really news. The DoJ has been refusing Republican demands for the tapes for weeks, with Garland and other DoJ figures claiming that they're concerned that witnesses will be less likely to cooperate in legitimate investigations if the DoJ makes a habit of handing their interviews to political kangaroo courts afterward. The only new thing today is that Biden has, at Garland's request, invoked executive privilege to block Republican moves to hold Garland in contempt of Congress.

That also seems bad to me, the executive branch refusing to release information to Congress because they think Congress is being mean to them. Very Trumpy

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 16, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

I think its the same rational as not allowing the Access Hollywood tape in the Trump trial but allowing that transcript. Watching a video hits harder than just reading a transcript.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

Not really? It's just giving soundbites to a bankrupt proceeding.

Don't talk to cops / Republicans are cops

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not really? It's just giving soundbites to a bankrupt proceeding.

Don't talk to cops / Republicans are cops

The president is the #1 cop!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

That also seems bad to me, the executive branch refusing to release information to Congress because they think Congress is being mean to them. Very Trumpy

Are you claiming that the people on the impeachment committee will act in good faith with those tapes?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

Are you claiming that the people on the impeachment committee will act in good faith with those tapes?

I don’t think that matters.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Robert Menendez shooting for the (NC) John Edwards Douche of the Year award (or for an Oscar for best actor):

quote:

Nadine Menendez, the wife of Senator Robert Menendez, is being treated for breast cancer and will undergo a mastectomy, her husband revealed on Thursday.

Mr. Menendez announced his wife’s cancer diagnosis in a statement released while he was in Federal District Court in Manhattan, where he is on trial on charges that he accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes in exchange for political favors.

“We are of course concerned about the seriousness and advanced stage of the disease,” Mr. Menendez, 70, said in the statement. “We hope and pray for the best results.”

The timing of the announcement, issued by his Senate office, was conspicuous and punctuated a remarkable first week on trial. It came less than a day after the senator’s lawyers told jurors in an opening statement that Ms. Menendez, 57, was largely to blame for the gold bars and other lucrative bribes prosecutors say he took in exchange for helping Egypt and New Jersey businessmen.

Mr. Menendez said he was releasing the information now because of “constant press inquiries and reporters following my wife.” He asked that she be given privacy as she battles cancer, which he described as “grade 3.”

A lawyer for Ms. Menendez could not immediately be reached for comment. Ms. Menendez has not appeared in court.

Ms. Menendez was originally scheduled to stand trial with him and two other defendants beginning this week. But last month, the judge presiding over the case, Sidney H. Stein, agree to grant her a delay and separate trial in July after her lawyers informed the court that she was dealing with a “serious medical condition” that would require surgery.

The disclosure prompted widespread speculation in New Jersey political circles. But at the time, the lawyers only shared details of her diagnosis in a sealed submission to Judge Stein, withholding it from the public.

The couple have both been accused of conspiring to trade Mr. Menendez’s clout as a senator and leader of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for lucrative bribes, including the gold bars, cash and a $60,000 convertible for Ms. Menendez. In opening statements on Wednesday, prosecutors described Ms. Menendez as a crucial “go-between” for the senator and New Jersey businessmen accused of providing the payoffs.

The senator and his wife have both pleaded not guilty.

https://archive.ph/u6pfW#selection-625.0-687.54

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Gripweed posted:

The president is the #1 cop!

What is it you think that the Republicans are going to do with these recordings and why do you think it is valuable that they obtain them?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Proving that he didn’t sound like a confused old man? That’s the upside of releasing it, the downside of not releasing it is that everyone will assume that Biden really did sound like a confused old man.

You're assuming that this is a good faith request and that Republicans won't selectively pick from it and even edit it to show whatever they want.

I don't think that's realistic, and so I really don't see an upside to releasing the recordings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mustang posted:

What is it you think that the Republicans are going to do with these recordings and why do you think it is valuable that they obtain them?

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're assuming that this is a good faith request and that Republicans won't selectively pick from it and even edit it to show whatever they want.

I don't think that's realistic, and so I really don't see an upside to releasing the recordings.

The default on these kinds of things should be to release the records. If Congress asks for something, the President should hand it over unless he has a drat good reason not to. And “Congress is mean to me” isn’t a good reason. “Releasing this information may benefit my political opponents” is a terrible reason.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Gripweed posted:

Feels like you're trying to play gotchas here and making somewhat elaborate reasons why "this is bad for Biden".

The House committee is on a fishing expedition and are more likely to use the tapes to cut up soundbites than anything legitimate. Other than that, it's not something the public cares about and doesn't "look bad for Biden" unless you're looking for ways to raise that position

e: I mean "because I think this is how it should be" is certainly an answer but not a really important one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Levitate posted:

Feels like you're trying to play gotchas here and making somewhat elaborate reasons why "this is bad for Biden".

The House committee is on a fishing expedition and are more likely to use the tapes to cut up soundbites than anything legitimate. Other than that, it's not something the public cares about and doesn't "look bad for Biden" unless you're looking for ways to raise that position

Bidens age and fitness for office has been a huge issue this election. That is something the public absolutely cares about. That’s why soundbites from the tapes could be damaging.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Bidens age and fitness for office has been a huge issue this election. That is something the public absolutely cares about. That’s why soundbites from the tapes could be damaging.

That has nothing to do with their impeachment inquiry though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

The default on these kinds of things should be to release the records. If Congress asks for something, the President should hand it over unless he has a drat good reason not to. And “Congress is mean to me” isn’t a good reason. “Releasing this information may benefit my political opponents” is a terrible reason.

"Don't talk to cops" is a drat good reason. The Republicans are going on a bullshit fishing expedition. It is absurd to demand that Biden feed the fish for them.

You might as well be angry that Biden isn't rolling over and exposing his soft belly meat.

They have the transcript and that addresses all legitimate potential concerns.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 16, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Gripweed posted:

That the President should release records just cause Congress asks even if they have no legitimate reason sure is a take I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The full transcript has already been released, there is no additional information to be obtained unless you have some reason to believe the transcript is inaccurate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

"Don't talk to cops" is a drat good reason. The Republicans are going on a bullshit fishing expedition. It is absurd to demand that Biden feed the fish for them.

He’s the President of the United States! He’s literally the main cop.

Papercut posted:

The full transcript has already been released, there is no additional information to be obtained unless you have some reason to believe the transcript is inaccurate

If the transcript has been released then what’s the justification for calling executive privilege on the tapes?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

As we are currently seeing demonstrated in significant detail in the national media, presidents are perfectly capable of being defendants in criminal proceedings. Being a cop yourself is no reason to start talking to cops.

You could make a more refined public interest argument but I think that's refuted by the availability of the transcript and the obvious extreme bad faith of republican actors right now.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Gripweed posted:

If the transcript has been released then what’s the justification for calling executive privilege on the tapes?

The inquiry isn't about whether or not he's too old for the office so even if the tape did prove that without them chopping it up, it's irrelevant because that's not what they're investigating. You can't use the auspices of an inquiry to get any information you want.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

As we are currently seeing demonstrated in significant detail in the national media, presidents are perfectly capable of being defendants in criminal proceedings. Being a cop yourself is no reason to start talking to cops.

You could make a more refined public interest argument but I think that's refuted by the availability of the transcript and the obvious extreme bad faith of republican actors right now.

If the transcript is already out then it means there is no legitimate executive privilege claim over the tapes. Of the Biden administration thinks that releasing the tapes could end up being damaging to the president’s reelection chances, that is also not a legitimate read not to release the tapes. And if simply hearing the president speak is damaging to he reelection chances, then there’s a significant public interest in hearing those tapes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The courts have generally held the opposite: that the power of Congress to subpoena records from the executive branch is not absolute, and needs to be limited to insulate the inner workings of the executive branch from excessive Congressional interference to some extent. The subpoena power should be used for legitimate legislative purposes, and thus executive privilege exists as a method for the president to push back against things that seem like political fishing expeditions, attempts at trial-by-media, and other things along those lines.

This is why, for example, all nine Supreme Court justices agreed in 2020 that the House could not subpoena Trump's tax returns. Chief Justice Roberts recognized in the majority 7-2 opinion Trump v Mazars that Congressional subpoenas "stem from a rival political branch that has an ongoing relationship with the president and incentives to use subpoenas for institutional advantage" and thus raise serious separation-of-powers concerns that require them to be limited. Meanwhile, the two dissenters went even further and complained that the majority was too permissive toward subpoenas and should have limited them even further, with Thomas going so far as to write that "Congress’ legislative powers do not authorize it to engage in a nationwide inquisition with whatever resources it chooses to appropriate for itself".

Gripweed posted:

That's exactly why Biden is able to assert executive privilege here. Again, Congressional subpoenas to the executive branch are required to be for a legitimate legislative purpose. If the goal of the subpoena is harvest information for its political effect, rather than for the actual legislative work of Congress, then Biden does in fact have a right to block the subpoena.

Two other important aspects of the Trump v Mazars ruling is that Congress' subpoena has to be narrow as possible to meet their legislative purpose, and that Congress has to consider whether it could get the information it needs from some other source that doesn't require subpoenaing the executive. Since they already have the transcript, they'd have an uphill battle on these two aspects as well.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I have no idea why it is necessary to have the audio when we have the transcript. I would agree with Trump making the same request to quash the release of the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It would be fun if the Dems could railroad something through the House while a bunch of reps are at Trump trial