Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

The movie works well with you being just as clueless as Holly but I think it would be cool to have a version that actually translates all the foreign dialogue too, really curious as to what the crowd was saying after the porter's murder.

you're missing surprisingly little. the movie does a good job of repeating anything of even remote substance. in that scene they're mostly just saying stuff like 'hey you, wait a second'

and actually that's one of the things that i really liked about the movie--there's something about it as a little postwar memento when both british and american audiences are hungry for stories set amongst larger political current events. and audiences would be more likely to know a little conversational german that the studio felt comfortable enough leaving it in german. really so much of the third man fits under the aegis of 'they don't make 'em like they used to' but this is a special movie even within that rubric. i love stories where the protagonist is a clueless dupe who's in way over his head and this is a very fun and subdued version of that.

good pick, glad i rewatched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Third Man

The zither soundtrack is strange but perfect, Joseph Cotten is a great noir protagonist, and it's full of beautiful lighting and shots. And of course Orson Welles is excellent as always, Harry Lime is a great character and that scene on the ferris wheel is genuinely chilling. It's wild seeing parts of post-war Vienna with rubble and bombed-out buildings everywhere and knowing that it was all the real city, no sets. Might be my favorite closing shot in any movie too. Love this one, it's one of the best ever. great pick

5/5 vhs tapes

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Third Man - When Fritz Lang made M in 1931 the film noir movement had not yet officially started, but here less than 20 years later we have a movie that works as a deconstruction of the genre. A man tries to play the role of a detective in a story and quickly ends up hopelessly lost. The ruined city and everyone in it speaking their own languages past Holly work to show that the real world is much messier than the one portrayed in hard-boiled detective stories. Hard to come up with anything to say that hasn't been said about it already. Even if this isn't one of your favorite movies it's going to be your favorite director's favorite movie. Its influence is everywhere.

5/5

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Even if this isn't one of your favorite movies it's going to be your favorite director's favorite movie.

My favorite director is Tom Green

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

My favorite director is Tom Green

Holly Got Hoodwinked

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Duel to the Death
some of the stuff in this movie is way too fkn silly lmfao this movie is a frigging meme
and theres way too many cuts in the fighting scenes, poo poo is ridiculous
special effects are aged as hell natch
the woman was supposed to be pretending to be a man? when?
weirdly enough, the plot was actually p good tbh, its a lot of the action that does wrong by it
the last duel at the end is really cool and a highlight. movie lives up to the name
i think the chinese guy might manage to live so he wins. japanese guy is def hosed tho. stabbing his foot so he can stay up is sick
2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
looked around for the subbed video natch or id have not enjoyed it as much

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
are you high or something fucker how is a guy stranded in the middle of nowhere on a rock in the ocean with his entire arm chopped off supposed to survive
back in the feudal japan days before modern medicine, where even a minor cut could become an infected death sentence

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The thing I really like about the third man (and which a number of you called out) is how we’re right there with holly pulled through the story without any real control or full understanding of what’s going on, but nevertheless, at the end, the full picture manages to make sense anyway

And of course it’s a lovely movie with good performances and the zither, too

10/10 thanks for watching

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

The turd can

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

que sera sera posted:

The turd can

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

starbarry clock posted:

are you high or something fucker how is a guy stranded in the middle of nowhere on a rock in the ocean with his entire arm chopped off supposed to survive
back in the feudal japan days before modern medicine, where even a minor cut could become an infected death sentence

fighting spirit

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i saw a gigantic ninja turn into 10 ninjas but surviving getting half your body sliced off is too much :rolleyes: whatever you say starbarry

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Third Man: god drat this kicked rear end. the shots and the lighting were excellent, esp. the way the motion of the actors worked with it (like during the stakeout scene). amazing job with holly as the point of view character: unqualified for the work, doesn't understand anything half the people say, and once he finally has somebody explain it all to him he just gets plastered lol. also pointing at the screen when the cat went to the guy all HOLY poo poo HE'S ALIVE?! like a dumbass lol. incredible loving flick. 5/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

still floored by how hard a noir film with a spongebob sound font nailed it too. godly poo poo

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fucker posted:

i saw a gigantic ninja turn into 10 ninjas but surviving getting half your body sliced off is too much :rolleyes: whatever you say starbarry

honestly k;ind of uppity of his rear end to come at you like this

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
just finished the third man but i can’t write a longer review right now. however it was extremely cool. absolutely loved it, the way it was filmed, the music, everything, wonderful pick. 4/5

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Fucker posted:

lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The 40s were such an insane period of cinema. Modern (sound) movies existed for like 10 years at that point and you already had people making timeless films. People like Carol Reed were among the first people who could even be considered professionals.

I think it sucks that Carol Reed won an Oscar for Oliver (which is horrible) and not this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh right, time over for the third man, time starts for uhf

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

UHF's director's commentary is really good, check it out.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

UHF's director's commentary is really good, check it out.

i might but dont be so bossy

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I got the tude now posted:

i might but dont be so bossy

hey, don't tell him what to do

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

hey, don't tell him what to do

i suggest you look at your own tone

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

a truly benevolent dictator would expect their citizens to appreciate Weird Al

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i suggest you look at your own tone

chill out or be chilled out, final warning

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh great, here come the tone police to shift the goal posts again. did we hurt your fee-fees? maybe educate yourself before you tell us how to talk. die mad, haters.

*gif of someone doing their nails or w/e*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

UHF

insanely charming flick, super funny. i thought i'd never seen it before but it turns out i saw it as a kid nd only remembered a couple bnits (wheel of fish, mashed potato mountain, the kung-fu studio generally) that came back to me as i was watchin,g, real trippy. worked best when it was doin parodies, but the parodies are incredible, all the skits are super goofy and fun. absolutely fuckin wild to see michael richards in anything other than seinfeld, also stanley was probably my least favorite part of the movie lol. real blast, i cant believe this ones been on my watchlist for so long.

★★★ ½

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

stanley was probably my least favorite part of the movie lol.

i say you get to drink from the FIREHOSE all the time when im gardening

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

oh great, here come the tone police to shift the goal posts again. did we hurt your fee-fees? maybe educate yourself before you tell us how to talk. die mad, haters.

*gif of someone doing their nails or w/e*

it's the relentless neener-neenering that gets to me the most

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

lmao that ruled

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

mbt posted:

Lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think everybody knows this by now, but I love that Mark Knopfler demanded to play guitar on the Money for Nothing parody

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

yeah i don't blame him cause nobody else knows how to play the main riff correctly lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I think everybody knows this by now, but I love that Mark Knopfler demanded to play guitar on the Money for Nothing parody

lol i didnt know that, that's sick. i remember thinkin "man weird al really knows how to play that riff" watchin that part

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mbt posted:

yes lol

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Been lurking this thread for a while, but for my first movie club review, I watched...

UHF (4 out of 5 stars)

Man, I loving love this movie. It's just as charming today as it was when I first saw it in the mid-90s. There are so many great bits, but I reference Spatula City, Wheel-of-Fish, "SUPPLIES!", and "you get to drink from the FIREHOSE" all the time. It's a simple riff on the classic 80s screwball comedy "stick it to the man" plot, but elevated by the amazing classic cinema parodies. And every aspect of the movie is just so dang charming, heartfelt, and good-natured that you can't help but love it. Also, a couple of genuinely good performances - Kevin McCarthy is playing the type to the hilt and leaves no scenery unchewed. Killer pick.

Also, huge ups to Fungah! for running this thing. Hoping I'll have time to watch Duel to the Death before the deadline.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hamsauce666 posted:

Been lurking this thread for a while, but for my first movie club review, I watched...

UHF (4 out of 5 stars)

Man, I loving love this movie. It's just as charming today as it was when I first saw it in the mid-90s. There are so many great bits, but I reference Spatula City, Wheel-of-Fish, "SUPPLIES!", and "you get to drink from the FIREHOSE" all the time. It's a simple riff on the classic 80s screwball comedy "stick it to the man" plot, but elevated by the amazing classic cinema parodies. And every aspect of the movie is just so dang charming, heartfelt, and good-natured that you can't help but love it. Also, a couple of genuinely good performances - Kevin McCarthy is playing the type to the hilt and leaves no scenery unchewed. Killer pick.

Also, huge ups to Fungah! for running this thing. Hoping I'll have time to watch Duel to the Death before the deadline.

:cheersbird:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lemme know ify ou want on the list btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Fungah! posted:

lemme know ify ou want on the list btw

Put me in coach