Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Decrepit old man that should have been binned off decade ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Me neither.

That's Our Lou! is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Wasn't he a storied Leafs GM?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Decrepit old man that should have been binned off decade ago...

Hey look Jeff Carter just retired there's no need to keep badmouthing him like that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's played RW tons so it's not entirely disqualifying if that's the only concern

The Sabres top 6 rn is

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn

I could see Benson being moved to third line for Ehlers but Skinner was playing LW on the third line so :shrug: their bottom six is going to be completely redone this Summer so I have no idea how it will look.

Rumor is that Girgensens is going to test the UFA market. The Sabres org loves him, I wouldnt be surprised if they overpaid him to keep him here.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There are rumors swirling that the other Flyers goalie prospect who came to NA in March, Alex Kolosov, might be heading back home for good because the Flyers are a cursed franchise

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 16, 2024

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Hey look Jeff Carter just retired there's no need to keep badmouthing him like that

I got a Pens 77 jersey/shirt thing from a secret santa this past Christmas and was ready to meltdown over being owned so hard but it turned out to be Coffey.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It reminds me of Shero-era Penguins in that he also wasn't a bad GM, nor were they necessarily a bad team, but they never had enough talent to fully flesh out the top 6 and the bottom 6 and defense were always dumpster dive specials. It's hard to win with half a forward corps.

that's a reasonable take. I could see them getting more of a JR-type wheeler dealer, but I'm not sure that will be better? Rutherford trades:

great: hornqvist-for-neal, Kessel-for-picks-and-prospects, Bonino-for-Sutter, Daley-for-Scuderi, Hagelin-for-Perron, Schultz-for-3rd-rounder (lol Oilers), Hainsey, Marino-for-nothing (lol Oilers)
good: lovejoy-for-despres (somehow), Cole-for-Bertuzzo, Petterson-for-Sprong, McCann-and-Bjugstad-for-Brassard (should have been good)
mediocre: Maata-for-whatever
bad: Perron, Winnik, Fleury-and-2nd-for-nothing (but at the time, Murray looked like a star), Pearson-for-Hagelin, Kessel-for-Galchenyuk, Zucker-for-1st-and-Addison
very bad: Reaves, Brassard-for-Cole-and-Gustavsson-and-two-picks

his extension were mostly pretty good--Marino, Guentzel, Murray, Pettersson, Schultz, Rust, and so on--but he was a disaster at UFA largely. Tanev for 6x3.5, JMFJ for 5x3.25, Hunwick for 3x2.25. Thankfully for Pens fans, he didn't have much budget to do a lot of shopping typically.

but even with all of that...I dunno. it's risky. JR hit gold on a lot of that, but I don't know that the reasoning is what I'd call "stellar" given some of the bad moves. I'd also be curious how much leeway any new GM would have to make big changes, given that Connor's agent is the president, Connor's junior coach is the coach, and Connor is still there. You'd have to move Bouchard or Ekholm in the next bit. Nurse has a NMC until 2027 and then a 10-team list. But that is going to be real hard to move without retained salary. RNH has a NMC. Hyman and Kane aren't able to be moved for a while.

their best bet is...trying to package Campbell and like two firsts/prospects to get some type of goalie back?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I got a Pens 77 jersey/shirt thing from a secret santa this past Christmas and was ready to meltdown over being owned so hard but it turned out to be Coffey.

Lol. Honestly big Jeff didn't tilt me as bad this year. He still sucked but he scored a couple big goals that almost ended up mattering. Glad he's gone though. Hopefully Sullivan can find someone less bad to fixate on playing too much.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that's a reasonable take. I could see them getting more of a JR-type wheeler dealer, but I'm not sure that will be better? Rutherford trades:

great: hornqvist-for-neal, Kessel-for-picks-and-prospects, Bonino-for-Sutter, Daley-for-Scuderi, Hagelin-for-Perron, Schultz-for-3rd-rounder (lol Oilers), Hainsey, Marino-for-nothing (lol Oilers)

Not truncating your post but to keep the quote short - I do want to highlight these because you'll note almost all of these happened early in his tenure.
JR had a lot of roster unfucking to do and he made that back-to-back cup team through those trades.

I don't understand how it happened but for as savvy as he was in those first few seasons he absolutely bombed the following ones. He seemed to make every wrong move he could trying to stamp out the last bits of what worked on that team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jim Rutherford knew/knows how to build a winning team the way modern hockey is played, and did so, but he absolutely loving hates the way modern hockey is played so as soon as the two Cups made his job security temporarily unassailable he tore it down and built a team to play hockey the way he thinks it drat well should be played. All his moves after the Cups were in that direction: getting rid of Kessel/Hagelin/Schultz/etc., bringing in Reaves, JMFJ, Matheson, etc. That's my take on the crusty old bastard.

Hornqvist is the kind of player Rutherford ought to have liked but I don't know what exactly he did to make Rutherford hate him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I hope he gets AHL time and picks up some kind of skill like netfront presence/garbage goal scoring. But honestly I'd take a 4th line C who can tread water considering how godawful Kampf/Gregor/Reaves were.

My thought is that the skills to be an effective NHL 4C will take time to learn, with that length of development path for that outcome its kinda like why not just pick up some league min dude you know? And Im probably being too harsh on Minten but Ive become a little jaded by these generic low upside hockey smarts prospects, maybe he figures things out quickly or adds an element to his game or something

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If Nick Robertson's brother wasn't Jason he'd be out of the league already, IMO. Dude is made of glass.

I wouldnt go that far, on his own hes still a second rounder that was ranked decently high in his draft year, led the OHL in goals and produced in the AHL at a young age. Dan Sprong was still getting passed around the league years past the age Nick is now.

Obviously still not ideal that Nicks 63 combined pro games this year is 8 more than all the games hed played the prior two seasons, yeah

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pascal Vincent nods in approval at that third period collapse, Rod.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Freddy Anderson for Mitch Marner straight up, how bout it 'eh?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man the Freddie Anderson playoff experience, a true classic, brings me back

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Holy poo poo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's funny when an adult fan is crying, because grow up idiot, but I feel bad when they show little kids upset about it

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Why are we making fun of some poor kid ?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's funny when an adult fan is crying, because grow up idiot, but I feel bad when they show little kids upset about it

Canes twitter was asking where Mika was during 9/11 so that whole fanbase can cry themselves to sleep tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I agree. Somebody did it in an Ohio State/Michigan game a few years ago, and I got flamed for daring have those opinions.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Canes twitter was asking where Mika was during 9/11 so that whole fanbase can cry themselves to sleep tonight.

Wait wtf I never heard about this that's hosed up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

Wait wtf I never heard about this that's hosed up

Im not linking the tweet or an image of it but yeah its real, go cry tonight kid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the more appropriate reaction would be to do something equally uncreative, like call those Hurricanes fans hicks or something, instead of laughing at a literal child. But that's just my opinion

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Heres a chaser to wash that taste out of your mouth

https://x.com/irma_helin/status/1791286410621624620?s=61&t=kkZpWh0cuOguRMpDObNb7g

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think that kid tweeted about 9/11 but sure he mad at him for it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the more appropriate reaction would be to do something equally uncreative, like call those Hurricanes fans hicks or something, instead of laughing at a literal child. But that's just my opinion

Hurricane fans arent hicks, they are Long Island Trump 2024 transplants

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeaponX posted:

Hurricane fans arent hicks, they are Long Island Trump 2024 transplants

Buddy ive got bad news for you about our side of the fence lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
jacob trouba doing 9/11? very funny. good joke.

mika zibanejad's family doing 9/11? kinda racist. too cute and nice of a guy. not funny

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

"I haven't seen that big a Hurricane disaster in North Carolina since Floyd."

There you go, Rangers Nation. Topical and bonus points for the weather nerdiness.

WeaponX posted:

Hurricane fans aren’t hicks, they are Long Island Trump 2024 transplants

Matt Zerella posted:

I was gonna say:

Chuch posted:

Half of Cary are NY transplants that root for the Canes until the Rangers come to town

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/canes/status/1791287935351890205?s=46

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I kno :negative:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:roflolmao:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

me when I realized the Pens are only getting a 2nd instead of Carolina's first

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Good thing the Rangers didn't trade Kakko and 1st for Guentzel?
Sorry wrong thread, Guentzel is the only loser involved here.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 17, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They might have won in 5 games

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

Good thing the Rangers didn't trade Kakko and 1st for Guentzel?
Sorry wrong thread, Guentzel is the only loser involved here.

They also wanted Perrault. Drury did good.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
at this point if Guentzel gets to play at MSG for half his games he'll score 60

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright Jake you had your fun in Carolina come home to papa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Im not linking the tweet or an image of it but yeah its real, go cry tonight kid.

he probably didnt post it