Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Al-Saqr posted:

It makes sense theyre going bananas for pariah nexus because thats where the next big lore fight is happening every single major character in the lore is converging there

Weren't we supposed to be going there in 9th?

Are we still on Namek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm slowly talking myself out of completing these HH MKVI models. First the 20x were going to be a split siren the middle to be Alpha Legion and Night Lords. Then I was like I"I'll just do Night Lords" because I want my Alpha Legionnaires to be taller... Now I don't even want to waste my Night Lords bits on them.

I loving hate how small they are so drat much.

I don't know what to do anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Surely you mean the MkIV?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

Some of the Primaris models absolutely dwarf MkVI, even with its improved proportions. Modern 40k Marine models run on ork logic for size.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ah, dang. I'm looking at the MkVI redo like they're giants.

But then, I'm old.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well I mean the nobz in the combat patrol barely even fit on a 32mm base.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

moths posted:

I do not

By the Emperor it looks like they could shove the poor midnight clad bastard into a locker.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 16, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Weird that the primaris boys have such an insecurity complex that they need to stand on their tippy toes to look a bit taller.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Demilich posted:

I do not

By the Emperor it looks like they could shove the poor midnight clad bastard into a locker.

HH Marines are maybe like 1-2 in universe inches shorter than CSM though.

You're just comparing them to giants.

AnEdgelord posted:

Where are CSM's drop pods GW? They only appear in practically every story involving CSM and are an upgrade sprue away from being part of their range.

This has annoyed me for almost two decades.

Pretty sure this is just a gameplay thing to make them more than just spikey loyalists.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Weird that the primaris boys have such an insecurity complex that they need to stand on their tippy toes to look a bit taller.

Eej posted:

You're just comparing them to giants.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Don't do that, it drives them batty

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I'm now imagining a buddy comedy of a Night Lord and World Eater locked in an eternal duel of bigger and bigger bat wings/bunny ears to ensure they're taller than the other one.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Has there been any news about the Emperor's Children Index? I thought that was supposed to drop at the same time as the CSM codex.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might come out at the end of the week, or next, since the CSM codex hasn't come out yet technically.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No, that was a preemptive statement to calm everybody down when they're not in the codex.

Realistically, it'll be a while. It's pretty rare to get back to back chaos releases and the codex is a pretty beefy meal.

E: Oops, an index. That's very possible.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno about that, for once they seem to be pretty clear when it comes out. Especially when it's just a free PDF.

quote:

The Index will be released for free on Warhammer Community, so if you’re a fan of pink armour and noise complaints, look for it when Codex: Chaos Space Marines hits the shelves.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Finished up some Jump Pack Intercessors today.

I tried to mostly follow this guy's guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwqcmQ2HVM

Mine didn't come out as good but I see how I can get there with more practice. And I'll be getting a good amount of it because I have to paint 15 more of these guys for the list I'm building towards :shepspends:.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Finished up some Jump Pack Intercessors today.

I tried to mostly follow this guy's guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwqcmQ2HVM

Mine didn't come out as good but I see how I can get there with more practice. And I'll be getting a good amount of it because I have to paint 15 more of these guys for the list I'm building towards :shepspends:.

They look good! I love the Warhipster and their channel.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

New Found Power posted:

I remember the original Ash Nomads rules that were published in the semi-official Citadel Journal in about... 1998ish? With the gang converted from the Tallarn Desert Raiders guardsmen

yeah it was p cool, your gang was required to have an anti-vehicle weapon at start because it was supposed to be hijacking cargo vehicles during your offtime

the journal's sample gang had a missile launcher

i always wanted to convert up an ash nomads gang from the gorkamorka muties

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It wasn't for vehicles, it was to be able to break into the hive so hijinks could ensue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://x.com/warhammer/status/1791423743060775193

Looks like AdMech is going to be having some conversion fodder in their future, because that's most likely a plastic Thanatar Siege Automata to the right.

And the middle one is probably just another Magos or something. :v:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Rumours are some sort of bighead psyker for GSC as they continue their march to being a faction made entirely of character datasheets

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hopefully the GSC figure is for the rumored Necromunda-hammer Quest.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I got myself into a 3 game tournament tomorrow because I guess there's nothing else going on in my life.

And thanks to lack of sleep I'm now thinking of bringing this list.

quote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Astra Militarum
+ DETACHMENT: Combined Regiment
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 2000pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char3: Lord Solar Leontus
+ ENHANCEMENT:
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 18
+ SECONDARY: - Bring It Down: 1x2 + 3x3 + 2x4 - Assassination: 4 Characters
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHARACTER

Char1: 5x Cadian Command Squad (65 pts)
• 1x Cadian Commander
1 with Plasma Pistol, Power Fist
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• Master Vox
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• Medi-pack
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun, Regimental Standard

Char2: 1x Tank Commander (205 pts)
1 with Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Demolisher Battle Cannon, Lascannon, 2x Multi-melta, Heavy Stubber

Char3: 1x Lord Solar Leontus (125 pts)
1 with Conquest, Konstrain's Hooves, Sol's Righteous Gaze
• Warlord

Char4: 1x Ursula Creed (55 pts)
1 with Duty and Vengeance, Power Weapon

BATTLELINE

10x Cadian Shock Troops (60 pts)6x Shock Trooper, Shock Trooper Sergeant, Shock Trooper w/ Vox Caster, Shock Trooper w/ Meltagun, Shock Trooper w/ Plasma Gun

10x Death Korps of Krieg (65 pts)Death Korps Watchmaster, 5x Death Korps Trooper, Death Korps Trooper w/ Death Korps Medi-pack, Death Korps Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher, Death Korps Trooper w/ Meltagun, Death Korps Trooper w/ Plasma Gun

10x Death Korps of Krieg (65 pts)Death Korps Watchmaster, 5x Death Korps Trooper, Death Korps Trooper w/ Death Korps Medi-pack, Death Korps Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher, Death Korps Trooper w/ Meltagun, Death Korps Trooper w/ Plasma Gun

9x Infantry Squad (60 pts)5x Guardsman, Guardsman w/ Vox Caster, Heavy Weapons Team, Sergeant, Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun

OTHER DATASHEETS

10x Kasrkin (120 pts)
• 1x Kasrkin Sergeant
1 with Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
• 9x Kasrkin Trooper
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Laspistol
• Melta mine
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot lasgun
• Vox-caster
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Meltagun
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun

10x Kasrkin (120 pts)
• 1x Kasrkin Sergeant
1 with Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
• 9x Kasrkin Trooper
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
• Melta mine
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot lasgun
• Vox-caster
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Meltagun
2 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun

5x Tempestus Scions (50 pts)
• 1x Tempestor
1 with Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
• 4x Tempestus Scion
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Meltagun
• Vox-caster

1x Basilisk (150 pts)
1 with Armoured Tracks, Earthshaker Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Heavy Flamer

1x Basilisk (150 pts)
1 with Armoured Tracks, Earthshaker Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Heavy Flamer

1x Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260 pts)
1 with Armoured tracks, Heavy Stubber, 2x Meltagun, 2x Multi-melta, Pulveriser Cannon, Co-axial Autocannon, Oppressor Cannon

1x Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260 pts)
1 with Armoured tracks, Heavy Stubber, 2x Meltagun, 2x Multi-melta, Pulveriser Cannon, Co-axial Autocannon, Oppressor Cannon

1x Scout Sentinels (60 pts)
• 1x Scout Sentinel
1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hunter-killer Missile, Sentinel Chainsaw, Plasma Cannon

I don't even know what I'm going to do, spam secondaries? Cleanse and deploy teleport homers?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
That Skaventide box set preview got me acting unwise

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Well, I played a practice game against the Double Dorn player with my Canoptek Court list and it was an absolute massacre. 45-14 at the end of Round 3 when he conceded. Wraiths killed a Dorn in melee with the Devastating Wounds Stratagem, and he really didn't have enough units for a good board presence to score secondaries or shut down my Power Matrix.

I didn't lose a single model. I only lost a unit of Scarabs

Devorum fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 17, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

moths posted:

Oh my god if theres a necromunda warhammer quest i will buy day one

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So far all we have is this extremely brief teaser, but interestingly 1) the Necromunda logo is in blue instead of red, 2) we get a few new heroes with no thematic connection, and 3) they're going crawling into a sub basement dungeon.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Guard players: Anyone use heavy weapons teams? They look like trash on paper, but in the right position with overwatch I feel like they can punch way above their weight. Three lascannons overwatching at 4+ would make me think twice about moving armor into their LOS. That is so situational though.

I've got piles of heavy weapon teams I never ever use. I should give them a chance maybe?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

moths posted:

I'd much rather it were something like a named magus character for 40K proper than something for some side game they'll cease support for a few months from now

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it is a GSC magus for a -Quest game it'll still have rules to play it in 40k proper.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

Guard players: Anyone use heavy weapons teams? They look like trash on paper, but in the right position with overwatch I feel like they can punch way above their weight. Three lascannons overwatching at 4+ would make me think twice about moving armor into their LOS. That is so situational though.

I've got piles of heavy weapon teams I never ever use. I should give them a chance maybe?

They probably get the most use as the easiest way for Ursula to drop the free stratagem on someone.

Otherwise maybe you can use the mortars to finish off whatever is left after the Hellhound worked it over.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Siiiiiigh so I’m thinking about getting back in to 40k after a 20 year hiatus. My little space marine army from the 3rd edition is probably what I’ll start with because I already have it.

Rules are at 10th edition now I gather, first thing I need is to get the main rule book and start reading. Does it make sense to get a starter pack or something (do those even come with a hardcover manual?), or should I just by the manual and start reading? I very much would like a hardcover version though, if that makes a difference.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The rules are free online from games-workshop here https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/dLZIlatQJ3qOkGP7.pdf

and online in other places.

You need the starter pack, the leviathan deck, to play a "competitive" game, but games-workshop already announced that there's a new one coming out. You can also get everything from the starter pack for free, so even if you want a physical thing you might as well wait until the Pariah Nexus deck is out.

The hardcover book is for people that want pretty pictures and story time.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 17, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Or you could pick up Horus Heresy instead because a lot of people keep saying that's what you should play if you want the old familiar game system.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I think you are correct that they are very situational, but can be employed effectively. Parking one on the flank of a squad could give some oomph. For example maybe you want a Dkok squad to sit on an objective because of their medpack, then you could place the heavy weapons squad to the flank to add firepower and overwatch ability to really shore up the objective. The heavy weapons teams do not make much sense outside of a defensive situation though; moving them make it really unlikely for them to hit, and they don't have a ton of staying power, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to take them and to try and advance with them.

They are only 60 points, so it won't be a huge investment to take one though. I also have a ton of heavy weapons teams myself, but with the 9th codex and this one most of the flavored IG squads cannot take the heavy weapons teams so I am not sure what to do with them. I am very reluctant to take a bunch of Dkok squads and run them as Dkok, and then running a squad of Dkok models with a heavy weapons team under the "Infantry Squad" unit choice because it might be very, very confusing.

On the other hand a scout sentinel is 60 points, has 7 wounds instead of 6, has better armor save, and also has better BS. The armored sentinel is 10 points more at 70 point and has even better armor. I feel like either of the sentinels could achieve more in terms of area defense/denial/versatility, but the trade-off would be one lascannon shot vs three.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

Or you could pick up Horus Heresy instead because a lot of people keep saying that's what you should play if you want the old familiar game system.

Thanks for the info!

I don’t have any attachment to the “old” rules, I was never that deep in to it back then. I’ll probably skip the Horus heresy stuff for now since I’m guessing that’s not mainline 40k.

So hold off on buying a starter pack until it gets an update, hopefully soon-ish? We talking a month or a year type time frame for that?

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 17, 2024

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tnuctip posted:

Siiiiiigh so I’m thinking about getting back in to 40k after a 20 year hiatus. My little space marine army from the 3rd edition is probably what I’ll start with because I already have it.

Rules are at 10th edition now I gather, first thing I need is to get the main rule book and start reading. Does it make sense to get a starter pack or something (do those even come with a hardcover manual?), or should I just by the manual and start reading? I very much would like a hardcover version though, if that makes a difference.

I would get the Leviathan box set. It comes with a nice hardcove manual, and two reasonable armies. If you have been away for some time you should know that they have changed the physical form factor of space marines, pretty much upscaled them and gave them better proportions. These are called "Primaris" marines, but all the new space marines for the past 2 editions or so have been in this style. The Leviathan box set has Space Marines and Tyranids, all new models, all really good. If you have been out of the game for 20 years you are going to be really impressed with how good they all look. You can find the box set on eBay or local game stores, ranging from 225-275 usually. It comes with enough models you can play a decent game with them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1864424864...QEaAp28EALw_wcB

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

I'll echo this. Jumping from 3rd to 30k will still be quite a shift, but enough would be familiar that it wouldn't be too bad. It's meant as a throwback game and represents 3rd-7th edition at their finest along with some additions. Vehicles still have armor, for example, and the old AP system is in effect rather than modifiers. 30k communities can be harder to come by though and skew heavily towards hobbyists rather than gamers. It's also worth mentioning that 30k tournaments do not exist. Events tend to be casual; they're more about just getting some games in and showing off models, usually with a narrative element.

I would still probably recommend just going with standard 40k. It's easier to find groups and events (if that's your thing) and there's a bit more variety if you want to play xenos or whatever. It'll just be easier to get into and it'll be good to get current. 30k will be there if you feel the call of the grog.

Tnuctip posted:

So hold off on buying a starter pack until it gets an update, hopefully soon-ish? We talking a month or a year type time frame for that?
40k got an update just last summer so you're good to go. It was a pretty major overhaul and every army got updated pdf rules at the start of the edition. They're slowly working through the codex books right now so some might not be free anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The main thing you want to know as a 3rd ed army owner is that everything’s on a slew of different base sizes now, so there’s fewer toes peeking out over the 25mm base rims but making your old stuff translate directly into 10th is a little trickier*, especially as units are not bought as points per model anymore but in fixed unit sizes (some units can be bought at multiple ‘sizes’)

*you can get base expander aftermarket stuff but you’re also gonna be dealing with the space marine size issue and likely eventual full phasing out so idk how feasible not starting fresh is for SM