Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

it'll be hilarious if discussing campaign donations during the same call ends up loving Adams iver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ELTON JOHN posted:

is there a word for when capitalists cooperate with the government to violently suppress leftist movements?

ive been told by a very important money skeleton in the democratic party "thats not who we are"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ELTON JOHN posted:

is there a word for when capitalists cooperate with the government to violently suppress leftist movements?

conspiracy of kings

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

new york mayors talking with new york billionaires to crush new york protests which spawned nationwide solidarity protests is definitely something that has not happened in the recent past

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
In Australian tradition we pretended to be less tyrannical than the USA for like a week and then adopted identical policies

Melbourne Uni signals intention to evict ‘outside agitators’ in protest occupation

quote:

Wesley [the vice chancellor] said the protester demands would not be met.

“The university’s animating principle is that of academic freedom,” he said.

“If we start restricting the ability of our academics and students to work on certain topics and with certain companies because another part of our community objects to that, where does this end?

“Tomorrow it will be working with fossil fuel companies, then it will be working with supermarkets, then it will be working with the manufacturers of sugary drinks.

"If we can be stopped from working with israel ALL our dealings with evil companies might be threatened" succinctly explains why the police are coming in now

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

In Australian tradition we pretended to be less tyrannical than the USA for like a week and then adopted identical policies

Melbourne Uni signals intention to evict ‘outside agitators’ in protest occupation

"If we can be stopped from working with israel ALL our dealings with evil companies might be threatened" succinctly explains why the police are coming in now

Lol an amazing hypothetical. What's next, not taking money from oil giants or that crazy coal lady??

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

if we can’t work with this bloodthirsty pariah state then we also might get asked to stop working with [list of exclusively harmful industries]

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

ELTON JOHN posted:

The West

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this isn’t surprising to me; israel is fighting this war with American-made bombs and missiles, not just Elbit-made. RTX (Raytheon parent) is up 30% in the past 6m.

Israel having more suppliers than just Elbit doesn't explain their share price going down, they are still a major supplier with a lot of international business too. That RTX boom is really pronounced though, just straight up from October 7 lol.

quote:

Elbit, the maker of the Iron Sting, provides up to 85 percent of the land-based equipment procured by the Israeli military and about 85 percent of its drones, according to Database of Israeli Military and Security Export (DIMSE).

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2023/11/17/israels-weapons-industry-is-the-gaza-war-its-latest-test-lab

quote:

Elbit still makes 80% of its sales outside its home market

Chief Executive Bezhalel Machlis told Reuters ... that sales to Israel were about $1.2 billion a year but that should rise now the government has approved a budget that will boost defence spending by 20 billion shekels ($5.5 billion) a year.

Elbit, he said, expects revenue to rise by at least $500 million a year from Israel, adding that "there is a growing demand for our technology all around the world". He projected revenue of $6.5 billion to $7 billion between 2024 and 2026.
Supply chain issues remain a challenge, but Elbit is using its 42 global subsidiaries to circumvent problems, Machlis added.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/israeli-defence-firm-elbit-systems-q4-profit-dips-gaza-war-helped-revenue-2024-03-26/

bedpan posted:

I don't think I like that any attempt to use nonviolent ways to cause change in the political process is being called destruction of 7 million people.

They just said the destruction of the state of Israel

Harold Fjord posted:

If they divest now they don't get a cut of all the real estate deals opening up

Nonsense. They will have a bunch of cash floating around looking for a home so it will be a perfect time to reinvest

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Burr would be based if he weren't transphobic as gently caress

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Weka posted:

Israel having more suppliers than just Elbit doesn't explain their share price going down, they are still a major supplier with a lot of international business too. That RTX boom is really pronounced though, just straight up from October 7 lol.

They just said the destruction of the state of Israel

Nonsense. They will have a bunch of cash floating around looking for a home so it will be a perfect time to reinvest

Bezhalel lol. what the gently caress is up with israelis giving their kids names that are combinations of belial and azazel and poo poo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Kopmala posted:

Bill Burr loving owns. Not only is he hilarious, but he comes from a blue collar, progressive background and doesn't put up with liberal bullshit.

All these old comedians are so mad because they wanted to be revered like George Carlin at their age, and they're not.

Bill Burr does not have this problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's the Burr clip I was talking about. I really get the feeling that Burr actually loving hates him but Maher is too clueless to realize that and thinks that getting bodyslammed by Burr makes for good television.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

That's the Burr clip I was talking about. I really get the feeling that Burr actually loving hates him but Maher is too clueless to realize that and thinks that getting bodyslammed by Burr makes for good television.

watch the clip of the first time burr went on real time. maher keeps trying to act like they're two peas in a pod versus the rest of the panel and burr just keeps making GBS threads on him lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Spergin Morlock posted:

Bezhalel lol. what the gently caress is up with israelis giving their kids names that are combinations of belial and azazel and poo poo

Some Semitic words sound like other ones.

Arc Hammer posted:

He is right.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
The -el ending means "of God" in many cases.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Can't it also mean lord of (the previous part)?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
El o El.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This is extremely outrageous, and if I don’t at least get a Propublica out of it I dunno what to think anymore. *points at chat room* HAY GUYS *points at chat room*

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ELTON JOHN posted:

Tuesday

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

ELTON JOHN posted:

Democracy.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Retromancer posted:

Reminder that in half these states divesting from Israel is illegal. so they're going to say "sorry our hands are tied."

I have a dream...

That one day young Muslim children and young Jewish children will be allowed to engage in boycotts.

But until that day, I must ask you to VOTE.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

"Please do not break the law."

- MLK Jr.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the jewish american heritage month graphics are now plastered all over my state's websites and have been appearing as promos on tv like even in nickelodeon-produced commercials between spongebob reruns. better luck next time Asian americans and pacific islanders, you can have may back once joe biden doesnt have the need to scold people for calling out israeli crimes during this very special month he invented 2 weeks ago.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Spergin Morlock posted:

it'll be hilarious if discussing campaign donations during the same call ends up loving Adams iver

e: wrong thread

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 14:40 on May 17, 2024

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1791138136141054251

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

"Outside agitator attacks law enforcement officer."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
nazi europe

===

Dutch police begin breaking up student sit-in at the University of Amsterdam

The Euro-Palestinian Media Center broadcast live scenes to begin the breakup of the Gaza solidarity student sit-in at the University of Amsterdam.

Scenes show the students forming a human barrier to the police raising pictures of martyred children, as police try to enter the campus to disperse students demanding an end to the Israeli war on Gaza.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31575;&%231604;

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

They've lost dog rater this is heckin' bad news for Israel

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

All these old comedians are so mad because they wanted to be revered like George Carlin at their age, and they're not.

Bill Burr does not have this problem.

Didn’t Maher once call himself Carlin’s honorary son or some other pretentious title? Maybe it was Lewis Black.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

isn't that the same account that changed a dog's name from an arabic one to english "to make it more appealing" or w/e?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

isn't that the same account that changed a dog's name from an arabic one to english "to make it more appealing" or w/e?

they also used a shitload of peoples photos without their permission

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also lol theyre turning dogs on protesters now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thats europe but as soon as american cops remember they can do that prepare for chaos

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I have a dream...

That one day young Muslim children and young Jewish children will be allowed to engage in boycotts.

But until that day, I must ask you to VOTE.

-Nelson Mandela

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

also lol theyre turning dogs on protesters now

the violent american repsonse made the violent police response here instantaneous basically, which is interesting.
Both the protetesters and the universities and the cops acted as if the escalation in the US was part of the escalation process here.

This is also good because the protesters are starting out at the level of organisation that the BLM protests here ended at pretty much

I bet you can see this dynamic repeated in lots of places globally

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
local news is hitting the UW protestors hard. someone spray painted a bunch of graffiti on campus so that invalidates the protestors demands.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it just shows you should never ever bow to even the slightest pressure from the right. here they tried to make "from the river to the sea" illegal. but when people were chanting "whose streets? our streets!" those same people who wanted that ban were claiming people were chanting "auschwitz! auschwitz!".

the right dont live in reality so never give them any ground for decorum or any other reason, theyll never be pleased anyway.

spechtie has issued a correction as of 18:49 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

err posted:

local news is hitting the UW protestors hard. someone spray painted a bunch of graffiti on campus so that invalidates the protestors demands.