Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is a few years old now so idk what the current state of things is, but whenever somebody says this it’s the first thing I think of

https://features.propublica.org/medical-debt/when-medical-debt-collectors-decide-who-gets-arrested-coffeyville-kansas/

Single payer would protect most of these people.

Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cant do single payer bc all the cogs in the massive health insurance/billing machine would become unemployed

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Rectal Death Alert posted:

when are they going to make missed debt payments punishable by prison

Dog the bounty hunter and those Car Repo shows will have crossover episodes when they arrest the person who couldn't pay for the car they are repossessing. They get 3-5 years in a Tyson factory.

this would only work if the debt collector could garnish their prison wages

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

spiritual bypass posted:

cant do single payer bc all the cogs in the massive health insurance/billing machine would become unemployed

bullshit jobs are a load bearing pillar

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj2jcSABmdI

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

Couldn't they fill similar jobs in the single payer bureaucracy

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

You mean like all the staff who do stuff like process claims and man phone lines and stuff?

Yeah

But you mean like all the senior managers and directors and vps and stuff who do marketing and strategy and market analysis and all the other real important poo poo

Where do they go, smart guy?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

0 chance that they are even told that they are dealing with asbestos or lead paint

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

no im pretty sure it'd be drastically simpler without all the structures of billing, enrollment, claims submission etc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spiritual bypass posted:

no im pretty sure it'd be drastically simpler without all the structures of billing, enrollment, claims submission etc

That would be a national health care system, which would still need plenty of administrative staff

Single payer still has all the stuff you’re thinking would go away because it’s nationalizing healthcare insurance rather than nationalizing healthcare

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Adrian Zenz please investigate

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

loquacius posted:

This one matches up with the discussion from yesterday or whenever about people's retirement dreams actually being small businesses too. What you want is to do a lot of baking and have people reimburse you for your expenses and tell you how good a baker you are, and what you end up doing is showing up for work at like 3:30 AM so you can be ready for the breakfast rush

It's kind of a natural progression when you consider that a ton of hobbies are way too expensive/time consuming when you also work 40 hours a week, commute, and maybe have some kind of theoretical family life or social life on top of that. I get incredibly annoyed with the urge to monetize every hobby but it's also a really logical path from "I can't do this if it isn't self-sustaining" to "this is my whole life now."

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bikes are way too drat expensive including decent kids bikes (ones without pedal brakes). I hope prices fall drastically, there shouldn’t be such a high barrier for sports.

E-bikes are going to be screwed once the safety regulations come out on those (which they should). They’re very dangerous and can lead to injury or burning down your house. 50% of e-bike owners don’t know they have a bike with a li-ion battery in it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

loquacius posted:

A different version of this plot gets posted every few years and oddly the numbers keep getting larger. This one is from this Forbes article:

There's a lot of graft embodied in that discrepancy of US costs wrt other countries. Single-payer bureaucracies aren't nearly so bloated as the US system so moving to one would cut out a lot of bullshit jobs.

It's not like things are going super great in single-payer countries though, on my last visit back to Canada I was a little shocked at the number of private health insurance television commercials. The UK NHS is self-destructing in real time. The US probably has it worst though as the health care is simultaneously both poor quality and one of the most expensive.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You say expensive, i say creating lots of value for shareholders

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Bikes are way too drat expensive including decent kids bikes (ones without pedal brakes). I hope prices fall drastically, there shouldn’t be such a high barrier for sports.

State will sell you a hybrid bike for $400 or less, that ain't bad.

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Glumwheels posted:

50% of e-bike owners don’t know they have a bike with a li-ion battery in it.

This is an absolutely insane statement, you have to charge the battery on the thing regularly to use it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Glumwheels posted:

you know you see price gouging when chips with 10 billion transistors cost only a few bucks to make

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also kind of ridiculous to assume that most people give a poo poo about lithium ion batteries or their risks. You've got them in basically every portable device in your house. A typical homeowner probably has a garage full of lithium ion power tool batteries.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Before cash for clunkers u could get a car for a few hundred bucks off some sketchy guy. Now used cars are like ten grand so ur like alright guess I'll ride a bike.... then u see a "decent" bike costs as much as a piece of junk old car used to lol

my first car was a white automatic mx3 the previous owner had driven up under the back of an suv which had bent the hood up so the latch wouldn’t lock. it was held down by coat hangers wrapped around the frame.
every time I made a right turn the engine stalled for the first two weeks

three hundred dollar bills and after a few tanks of gas and the hood popping up and hitting the windshield on the way off the interstate one afternoon, it never let me down

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s good if you’re just into neighborhood rides but I go mountain biking. I have a canondale hard tail I bought many years ago when they were not as expensive.

Twerk from Home posted:

This is an absolutely insane statement, you have to charge the battery on the thing regularly to use it.

They know it’s a rechargeable bike but not the battery tech in it and don’t understand the dangers that come with it. There will probably be regulations around product safety and design that come out from the cpsc and strict labeling requirements of the warnings.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You mean like all the staff who do stuff like process claims and man phone lines and stuff?

Yeah

But you mean like all the senior managers and directors and vps and stuff who do marketing and strategy and market analysis and all the other real important poo poo

Where do they go, smart guy?

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

That’s good if you’re just into neighborhood rides but I go mountain biking. I have a canondale hard tail I bought many years ago when they were not as expensive.

You're looking for something specialized, of course you're going to pay more. That said, Giant will sell you a hardtail mountain bike for anywhere from $530 to $5200.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Also kind of ridiculous to assume that most people give a poo poo about lithium ion batteries or their risks. You've got them in basically every portable device in your house. A typical homeowner probably has a garage full of lithium ion power tool batteries.

That’s why the cpsc is going after micromobility products like e-bikes, e-scooters and hoverboards. They’re extremely dangerous due to the impacts the receive and the batteries being capable of catching fire as a result.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

can we crowdfund a goon-ai? a proto goon if you will

just do what I do; pay very little attention to usernames and engage with the forums as if you’re talking to a hive mind that allows you to be a part of it whenever you want :shobon:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Paradoxish posted:

It's kind of a natural progression when you consider that a ton of hobbies are way too expensive/time consuming when you also work 40 hours a week, commute, and maybe have some kind of theoretical family life or social life on top of that. I get incredibly annoyed with the urge to monetize every hobby but it's also a really logical path from "I can't do this if it isn't self-sustaining" to "this is my whole life now."

ive been struggling with this a lot lately, my last few creative hobbies fully consumed me as i went down the monetization path and now that im in a stable-ish position at work *knocks on every piece of wood in a 10 mile radius* i want to get back into creative hobbies but i constantly catch myself thinking about monetizing them either bc they're too expensive or bc having strangers react to it and giving me some small additional income would be awesome. its genuinely depressing to try and remember a time when i just had hobbies and a job and there was no crossover bc it was like 10+ years ago.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

It’s great that America decided roads shouldn’t exist and the speed limit should be 35+ everywhere next to sub divisions, businesses, crowded areas and schools.

Also, lol forever at having freeways go straight through most downtown metropolitan areas lmfao.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my building has a no lithium battery vehicle rule now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Micromobility solutions are getting crackdowns because they're undermining car culture. The battery stuff is just a convenient excuse.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Micromobility solutions are getting crackdowns because they're undermining car culture. The battery stuff is just a convenient excuse.

and they're fun as hell. scootin around town smokin menthols. democrats hate this.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It'd be cool to have an e-bike but I don't go anywhere

selec
Sep 6, 2003

net work error posted:

It'd be cool to have an e-bike but I don't go anywhere

it's great for visiting friends. or just strap a bluetooth speaker to it and go for a spin to clear your mind now and then, that's a good time too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ai can't shitpost
it's one of Asimov's laws

Assimov's Law

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly is completely unbikeable unless you're okay with having a decent chance of being killed. this is from 2016 and it's pretty much unchanged as far as i know aside from the river trail

https://bicyclecoalition.org/bike-lane-deserts-map-shows-transportation-unfriendly-areas/

the two arterial-type roads (just below the word philadelphia on that map) basically have pulled over cars in them half the time. also lmao at the idea of biking on columbus blvd, you may as well just bike on 676

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
America is a shithole.

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

philly is completely unbikeable unless you're okay with having a decent chance of being killed. this is from 2016 and it's pretty much unchanged as far as i know aside from the river trailust bike on 676

Last time I was in Center City (2019) it looked insanely bikeable compared to Pittsburgh just because the streets are too narrow for cars to go fast

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

America is a shithole.

just wait until the petrodollar really eats the curb

Apr 7, 2003

I just rode up and down this road today and it was a loving absolute nightmare because it's signed for 25mph and everyone does 45mph

Luckily there's a busway between where I went and where I came from and I can just take my bike on the bus. Bad for my exercise, good for not dying.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

and extra discounts on the Wu-Tang bicycle

ChRomE-molybdenum frAMe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

just wait until the petrodollar really eats the curb

If America collapses all other countries turn into shitholes because big red buttons will be pressed during the chaos.