Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Next parent of the year contender located

AITA for compelling my daughter to write out an essay by hand before typing it to hand in?

quote:

I know this may sound old fashion, but I do think penmanship is important. I am the sort who still enjoys penning letters to people who I haven't seen, or to businesses to thank them when my experiences were positive. Maybe I'm being silly, but I think a handwritten letter can be more impactful than something printed out or an email. Additionally, I think writing in this way encourages you to be more thoughtful, as you obviously can't just delete a mistake as easily as you can on a PC.

As such, I've become discouraged that my daughter (12) not only has some of the worst penmanship that I've ever seen, but also sees writing anything out by hand as absolute torture. She's blatantly of the mindset that there's no reason to bother when everything's done digitally. Recently, she had to compose an essay for class. Now the teacher is not requiring students to doing any writing by hand, of course, but I decided that I'd prefer my daughter start putting in some effort on improving her handwriting. I told her that regardless of what her teacher expected, I wanted her to handwrite out her essay for me. I also said that I expected it to neat and for her to focus on penmanship rather than speed.

Naturally, my daughter did not like this. She threw a tantrum, insisted I was abusing her, and cried in her room nonstop for nearly an hour. When my wife got my home, our daughter told her why she was upset, and my took her side, insisting that if the teacher wasn't requiring it, there was no need for the extra labor.

Now, in my opinion, as her father, I see it as just as much my job to educate her, if not more. I think it should be fine for me to task my child to improve herself. But, obviously, she is also my wife's child, and I don't want to be a hypocrite by acting as if my opinion should be more valid than her own.

AITA on this one?

She considers this archaic skill to be completely torturous, and I'm drat well determined to make sure she continues to do so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol some of you have never been to a fun wedding before and it really shows

like, the kind where people don't get obliterated but maybe have a few too many to drive, and the grandparents/parents all go home early and everyone else stays and dances and has a good time until 2 am, to the point where it's so much nicer to just go upstairs to your hotel room and crash out vs taking an hour-long uber home at like 3 in the morning

it's actually fun to get various shades of drunk with good friends and have a big party to celebrate your other friends getting married, and while you can also have a big party and celebrate your friends without drinking, it's a different kind of thing - driving home afterwards is perfectly acceptable, for one. it's perfectly reasonable that people should know what kind of party they're showing up to.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for compelling my daughter to write out an essay by hand before typing it to hand in?

She considers this archaic skill to be completely torturous, and I'm drat well determined to make sure she continues to do so!

Good god, kids have enough homework without making them do 4x the work. I feel like if I had to write out an essay it would take me forever at this point

And yeah, I don't get the wedding haters. Even at the most boring wedding I have been to I had fun.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If drinking at the wedding was so important they could have asked. "Hey the invite didn't specify if it was a cash or open bar, just wanted to plan ahead."

He also says he probably wouldn't have shown if he knew it was a dry wedding, so maybe just don't go to weddings for people you don't give a poo poo about?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Penmanship -lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You know, if you want to hand-write a glowing letter to a business

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mailorder bees posted:

its just a wordfilter, you're allowed to say loving room if you log in

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tell her she can get out of it by handwriting a persuasive 10 pages on why she should never have to practice handwriting again

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

FMguru posted:

Then as we’re all in the living room, we see through the big window a truck with a trailer pull up. The driver comes unto the door, turns out it’s a BRAND NEW car for my sister from my Dad. She’s crying and jumping around and hugging and kissing my Dad, everyone goes outside to look at the car. When this happens, I went out the back door, turned off my phone, and drove my 9 year old car all alone to the beach to be by myself.

:rice::owned:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I drink a fair amount and love drinking and cutting loose at weddings.

The only dry wedding I’ve ever been to was my brother’s. I only knew my brother and his bride and two of the groomsmen (both of whom I had met the night before).

It was fine. A little awkward at first because I hardly knew anyone, but it was pleasant and the bride’s family were all nice to meet and make pleasantries with. I cannot even imagine not being able to go that long without booze, even if it’s at an event that customarily has alcohol.

Then I met a few buddies at the bar afterwards :v:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hand-writing my review of a business and delivering it to them so it doesn't improve their metrics on any review site! I am sure they appreciate the thought there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for telling our sitter that we won't accept a resignation if it's less than nine months notice?

quote:

We have a sitter for our three kids with the plan being that the sitter would stay with us until our youngest boy goes to middle school. Some how we got lucky and found Mike who has been our sitter for five years.

Our older sons are 13 and 15 so they don't really need a sitter. Our youngest, Jack, just turned 10 and is probably the most attached to Mike. Jack has ODD and ASD. He has good days and bad days but he never had a bad day with Mike. We had to literally show him videos of Jack's outbursts because he didn't believe Jack had them.

My wife and I recently divorced and things have been challenging. We are still learning how to operate as a family. My ex and I thought that we had a good relationship with Mike so imagine my surprise when he said he wasn't happy and he feels "spread out too thin." I asked what we could do to make it better and he said nothing. He said he has been flexible because we were but now he has to be more flexible and we are not. I offered him more money and he said no because he didn't want us to "resent" him.

He said he is willing to stay until the end of summer. I said I am formally rejecting your resignation. We cannot accept anything less than nine months. We think that Jack will then be old enough to not need a sitter and my ex and I can just figure something out since we are now WFH.

He said he can't do that. I said you're not letting the situation get better. Dude, we pay you $30 an hour. You owe us better.

You're anti-fired! And don't even think about just not bothering to show up!!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
"I said I am formally rejecting your resignation."

lol; lmao

I don't think OP has thought this through all the way.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lmao $30/hr is practically minimum wage in the SF Bay right now

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Is it a sitter if they live with you?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he sounds more like a Bro Pair

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

He also says he probably wouldn't have shown if he knew it was a dry wedding, so maybe just don't go to weddings for people you don't give a poo poo about?

Yeah this whole debate feels pretty strange; like weddings are just really expensive and elaborate parties somebody hosts with their spouse. There are actual people that are supposed to be the focus, not free booze. If you actually give a poo poo about that, you can just go for your friends having a wedding, and whether there's booze or not isn't as big of a deal.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Let the daughter get into art and the handwriting problem will fix itself. This dad is probably a STEMlord though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for telling our sitter that we won't accept a resignation if it's less than nine months notice?

I said I am formally rejecting your resignation. We cannot accept anything less than nine months.

lol I am formally rejecting your resignation, vis a vis you are not released from servitude quid pro quo. Share this on your Facebook feed so that Facebook can't use your images without your permission!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for blowing up after husband who doesn’t cook for us ate my leftover pizza?

Post itself is same old yadda yadda (husband is a sack of lazy, etc.). What’s kinda fun is this comment:

quote:

What does this man bring to your relationship?

OP posted:

He does our taxes, waters the plants and vacuums (or rather clears the floor and initiates the roomba).

I’ve told him we don’t need plants to survive, we need food to survive and that he is literally vacuuming by saying “Hey Google, start the vacuum” and says “you always discredit the things that I do do” wow as I’m typing this I realize I may have made a mistake.

I love the mid-typing epiphany.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

you always discredit the things that I do do

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeeplyConcerned posted:

r/relationships: you always discredit the things that I do do

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA because I won’t ask the teacher to change my daughter’s grade?

quote:

My daughter Ines is in the 8th grade. I am a single parent who is barely getting by. We can’t afford the activities for the graduating class like trips to New York, dances, etc.

I told Ines this and she seems to understand that we just can’t afford it.

I got called in to talk to her English teacher over a paper she wrote last month. The prompt was “what I did on spring break.”

Ines spent it at home or tagging along with me to my job. But instead she wrote this ten page story about how she found this door in the office I clean that took her to the past.

She wrote a short fiction story instead of the paper her teacher wanted. She got a D.

Ines wanted me to convince the teacher to change her grade.

I told her that she can’t submit short stories instead of homework, so she deserves that poor grade. But Ines said that she doesn’t have anything to work with otherwise she hates English.

We are going back and forth. She has a C in English and I told her she is grounded until she gets her grades up.

Ines is upset and won’t speak to me. I had another meeting with a school counselor who suggests that I’m being too harsh on her, and to encourage her to write more. That’s not the problem.

My problem is that Ines doesn’t listen to me or her teachers and acts like she’s living in that dimension in her stories. That’s not how the real world works.

AITA?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I prefer r/relationships: wow as I’m typing this I realize I may have made a mistake.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mx. posted:

I wouldn't call the teacher to change the grade either, but neither would I punish for bad grades. YTA for the latter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vim Fuego posted:

I prefer r/relationships: wow as I’m typing this I realize I may have made a mistake.

Good point.

r/relationships: wow as I’m typing this I realize I may have made a mistake

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

mllaneza posted:

r/relationships: wow as I’m typing this I realize I may have made a mistake

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Hee hee hee... Ines sounds like an Australian saying anus

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITAH for being mad that my partner just "went for a walk" in Mexico without telling me?

quote:

We're on vacation in Mexico and I went to the gym. He didn't go because he went earlier in the day. He said he's gonna go exchange some more money at the mall across the street and also buy some me some socks I needed for a tour tomorrow. I hadn't heard from him in a while so I called him. Multiple times. Probably 20 times over the span of 60-90 minutes. I started panicking because I found it unusual he wouldn't answer at all.

Finally, he returns my call and said he went for a walk on his own to "see the city." I became livid and asked him why he didn't bother to a) leave me a quick message and b) check his phone to see if I was trying to contact him. He said he was too scared that someone would steal his phone if he took it out to check. And I asked him he was too scared to take out his phone but wasn't too scared to walk the city by himself? I told him I don't want to talk to him for the remaining 3 days of the trip

Too scared to take out his phone, confident enough to exchange money and walk the streets alone? He's loving a local, right? :thunk:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Hee hee hee... Ines sounds like an Australian saying anus

It's pronounced ee-NES.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol I am formally rejecting your resignation, vis a vis you are not released from servitude quid pro quo. Share this on your Facebook feed so that Facebook can't use your images without your permission!

*I pause with my oversized quill hovering above the parchment, admiring the crisp ink lines of my writing

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DoubleNegative posted:

AITAH for being mad that my partner just "went for a walk" in Mexico without telling me?

Too scared to take out his phone, confident enough to exchange money and walk the streets alone? He's loving a local, right? :thunk:

Nah. My take is he wants to get away from his annoying/controling/clingy/whatever else she may be girlfriend, and took the opportunity to wander around in freedom.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

DoubleNegative posted:

The partner may just be concerned about someone grabbing a phone from their hand and running while, in the same area, feeling safe from a mugging.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nah. My take is he wants to get away from his annoying/controling/clingy/whatever else she may be girlfriend, and took the opportunity to wander around in freedom.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RichardA posted:

The partner may just be concerned about someone grabbing a phone from their hand and running while, in the same area, feeling safe from a mugging.

That's an awful specific level of safety

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
You can't be too careful with your smartphone on World Telecommunication and Information Society Day.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tarezax posted:

Let the daughter get into art and the handwriting problem will fix itself. This dad is probably a STEMlord though.

Extremely unreliable. Never worked out for me.

Mx. posted:

ngl I've kinda been there, it's loving hard to write on a topic when you didn't do poo poo. I sat at home. Yep. You want me to write this big enough to fill a page?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man, in college, I had an assignment to write a paper about something our family taught us. This teacher was already dogshit, she was terrible at giving us instructions on what she wanted out of us, so I was floundering hard. I dunno, do you want to hear about how my granddad tried to teach me that the N-word was just a word? Is this a can of worms you want to open, lady?? You should really not give assignments that require a specific home life or that would cause kids with a certain kind of home life to have a hard time completing them. A kid with a lovely home life isn't going to have anything good to say on that assignment.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I feel like teachers should be more clear about the purpose of the exercise - it would have cost nothing to say "write about what you did during the summer break, and if you can't think of anything or had a bad break where nothing happened, imagine what an average kid your age might get up to. I don't want fantasy fiction or an itemised list, the point is to practise [such and such a skill]".

To be honest I don't get what the exact point of it is or why a fantasy creative writing submission would warrant such a poor score, it sounds like a filler task that the teacher is taking way too seriously (out of spite? arbitrarily hating this kid?) so I'm going to say probably they're an arsehole as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boofhead posted:

I feel like teachers should be more clear about the purpose of the exercise - it would have cost nothing to say "write about what you did during the summer break, and if you can't think of anything or had a bad break where nothing happened, imagine what an average kid your age might get up to. I don't want fantasy fiction or an itemised list, the point is to practise [such and such a skill]".

To be honest I don't get what the exact point of it is or why a fantasy creative writing submission would warrant such a poor score, it sounds like a filler task that the teacher is taking way too seriously (out of spite? arbitrarily hating this kid?) so I'm going to say probably they're an arsehole as well

But that's lovely to do as well. Because if a kid had a break experience of "well, as usual, my mom screamed at me and locked me in a closet", they're still gonna feel loving poo poo about that assignment. It may feel even worse when to just pretend and write what a kid with a nice life might have done.