Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I don't understand how this could happen when the IDF spends so much effort positively identifying militants to minimize civilian casualties

This makes it seem like they just fire wildly at anything that moves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anthony Balogna posted:

Yeah honestly it’s just a matter of time before the sadness turns into hatred, anger and apathy towards “normal” poo poo. Therapy hasn’t helped much over the years because every therapist Ive encountered has been a lib to the core, and especially with what is going on right now I just can’t trust the life advice of someone who has fundamentally flawed morality in regards to anything international. Its just this thing that sits inside my, and probably other people who feel similarly, head at all times

therapy as typically practiced here in the ~first world~ is a lib concept to the core, the entire idea is that everything in the world is fine and good and the only problem is that you foolishly believe otherwise and you just need to gaslight yourself into the belief that things are good, the world as it exists is the best it can be and you have no power or role beyond feeling your own feelings, and then you simply choose to be happy.

Hell there's a whole mlk speech about being psychology and 'maladjustment' and how it's actually good as hell to be maladjusted to injustice

like don't get me wrong I'm not saying flush your meds or don't go to therapy or whatever, just that whatever therapist you go to might have some useful insights into your residual hangups from childhood family dynamics or w/e but is more likely than not a complete dunce when it comes to grappling with feelings about the current state of the wider world

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
https://twitter.com/qudsnen/status/1791238773583257926

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

We have the strongest miliatary in the region. Also our elite well trained ex-soldiers got totally owned by a literal starved child.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kids rule

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

israel has to kill kids or be killed by them, got it

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

hailthefish posted:

therapy as typically practiced here in the ~first world~ is a lib concept to the core, the entire idea is that everything in the world is fine and good and the only problem is that you foolishly believe otherwise and you just need to gaslight yourself into the belief that things are good, the world as it exists is the best it can be and you have no power or role beyond feeling your own feelings, and then you simply choose to be happy.

not all therapy is CBT

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hailthefish posted:

Hell there's a whole mlk speech about being psychology and 'maladjustment' and how it's actually good as hell to be maladjusted to injustice

like don't get me wrong I'm not saying flush your meds or don't go to therapy or whatever, just that whatever therapist you go to might have some useful insights into your residual hangups from childhood family dynamics or w/e but is more likely than not a complete dunce when it comes to grappling with feelings about the current state of the wider world

I think you've just been to some bad therapists.

This is like seeing someone say "God, sushi is so stupid, why do so many people want to eat broken glass!?" The broken glass isn't supposed to be part of it stop going to whatever sushi restaurant you've been going to.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Boss Baby

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
the kids are alright

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's a classic game of telephone, by the 1 year anniversary of Oct 7 zionists will be telling the tale of a Baby Hamas who decapitated 1,000 israelis

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

smug jeebus posted:

Please don't get divorced over Palestine

I managed to avoid it over Ukraine and covid, so I think I can ride this out.

If I should fall, put a red triangle on the goon spreadsheet, dti, dta.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Bezalel Smotrich

randomly generated diablo demon rear end name

e:f;b

Morbus
May 18, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

To every man upon this earth...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

smug jeebus posted:

Seriously

Get divorced over cspam posts

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just a side tangent re: therapy

honestly, it seems to me that psychoanalytic-oriented psychotherapy (which is different from that classic notion of psychoanalysis of Freud sitting behind the patient while they lay on a couch) is a fundamentally different approach that can be very worthwhile, especially if you feel incapacity of establishing a connection with the professional (what psychoanalytic theory calls transference). It's an approach that starts from a fundamental dialectical principle - which is large part of why Marxism and psychoanalysis started to work with each other in the 50s - it recognizes an inherent legitimacy of the suffering presented by the patient regardless of what it is and is adamant about aiding the patient in relation to their own subjective responsibility, i.e. "poo poo sucks terribly; what do you want to do about it?"

this isn't like a provocation or a challenge, but rather about discovering at least a measure of truth (or Truth if you prefer) about themselves to become themselves, to realize (again at least to some degree) that the subject justifies itself, that there is no quintessential "explanation" for who you are and what you do. Funnily enough, this ties coincidentally too well with the purpose of Marxism-as-philosophy for individuals: to realize themselves as historical subjects independent of the countless factors of circumstance, to become people who can locate themselves in their time, place and conditions and are able to make history. This can be anything from helping your immediate loved ones and friends in their everyday affairs to incarnating into the next Lenin as a living red star into a new age of World Revolution. Or anything else!

(also if you are in the USA, because of this alliance between the two disciplines, psychoanalytic based approach has been villainized extensively in many different fields, with behaviorism getting deliberately promoted as a political act in opposition to it, with a large side offering of anticommunism to help. that also immensely helped to contribute with those opinions of "therapy is lib" etc)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hatebag posted:

yeah the cia made a fake video of sukarno using an italian guy as sukarno or something lol

thinking about the video of fake Osama laughing in an expositive way about how he didn't think the towers would actually fall over

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Hatebag posted:

yeah the cia made a fake video of sukarno using an italian guy as sukarno or something lol

It was a Mexican actor and to make sure you knew he was Sukarno they had him wear the trademark hat the whole time

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just a side tangent re: therapy

honestly, it seems to me that psychoanalytic-oriented psychotherapy (which is different from that classic notion of psychoanalysis of Freud sitting behind the patient while they lay on a couch) is a fundamentally different approach that can be very worthwhile, especially if you feel incapacity of establishing a connection with the professional (what psychoanalytic theory calls transference). It's an approach that starts from a fundamental dialectical principle - which is large part of why Marxism and psychoanalysis started to work with each other in the 50s - it recognizes an inherent legitimacy of the suffering presented by the patient regardless of what it is and is adamant about aiding the patient in relation to their own subjective responsibility, i.e. "poo poo sucks terribly; what do you want to do about it?"

this isn't like a provocation or a challenge, but rather about discovering at least a measure of truth (or Truth if you prefer) about themselves to become themselves, to realize (again at least to some degree) that the subject justifies itself, that there is no quintessential "explanation" for who you are and what you do. Funnily enough, this ties coincidentally too well with the purpose of Marxism-as-philosophy for individuals: to realize themselves as historical subjects independent of the countless factors of circumstance, to become people who can locate themselves in their time, place and conditions and are able to make history. This can be anything from helping your immediate loved ones and friends in their everyday affairs to incarnating into the next Lenin as a living red star into a new age of World Revolution. Or anything else!

(also if you are in the USA, because of this alliance between the two disciplines, psychoanalytic based approach has been villainized extensively in many different fields, with behaviorism getting deliberately promoted as a political act in opposition to it, with a large side offering of anticommunism to help. that also immensely helped to contribute with those opinions of "therapy is lib" etc)

Wow my therapist is going to love when I read this whole post to her

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eminent DNS posted:

Wow my therapist is going to love when I read this whole post to her

Get one step closer to winning therapy when your therapist needs a therapist

I'd lay back on the couch and bitch about my mother to a very serious dude all day mind. I don't mind therapists being crazy supervillains, I can relate to that

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

predator handshake meme

me trying to play counterstrike : 50 Israelis

=getting owned by a 10 year old=

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

cash crab posted:

honestly yeah, i don’t post ironically

The choice to temporarily put things out of your mind is a choice you can and often should make. Your mourning does not further the cause of Palestinian liberation, though to some extent you may need to do this for your own sake. You can try to direct your attention elsewhere when it's not a good time for it, such as when you are on a bus.

I find it helps to think of my own immediate problems in the meanwhile and then use my energy spreading counterpropaganda and organizing when I can. Being involved in a political group gives me the opportunity to do that, and however meager my efforts may be, they are what I can do and I make peace with that.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't understand how this could happen when the IDF spends so much effort positively identifying militants to minimize civilian casualties

This makes it seem like they just fire wildly at anything that moves!

when your infantry screen are a bunch of incompetents and allow anyone with a bomb to just waltz up and gently place a bomb on your tank then bloopers happen

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hubbert posted:

99% certain this is the Houthi pirate who mentioned they loved One Piece to Hasan, thereby making this all thread-relevant.

Houthi pirate?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich on Thursday said Israel would abolish its free trade agreement with Turkey and also impose a 100% tariff on other imports from Turkey in retaliation for Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan's decision to halt exports to Israel.

so... he's adding a 100% tariff to the goods Turkey will no longer be shipping. 100% of 0 is 0 lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

so... he's adding a 100% tariff to the goods Turkey will no longer be shipping. 100% of 0 is 0 lol

black market kidneys doubling their cost to $30,000 might hurt

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

in case anyone wants to watch the israeli side at ICJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVQFbUng0I

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm currently listening to the south african hearing from yesterday, adila hassim is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACdjHO29_E

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ICJ judges looking really nonplussed at dudes bullshit

Lmao claims that israel has chased and punished idf who broke laws

:ironicat:
"There are social media groups in SA that incite hate against israel"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ICJ judges looking really nonplussed at dudes bullshit

"There are social media groups in SA that incite hate against israel"

run jeffery!!

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

MonsieurChoc posted:

France sold to weapons used in the Rwandan genocide.
So did Israel (and they've lied about it ever since)

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Canasta_Nasty posted:

It was a Mexican actor and to make sure you knew he was Sukarno they had him wear the trademark hat the whole time

lmao come on man can i really say this to my friends lol "thgey made a mexican man wear the hat"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ICJ session ended
Lots of hot air that i could only watch scant minutes of

I dont want to develop a heart condition

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

someone shouted out a good LIARS during their closing argument which caused the feed to go down for like 10 seconds

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

George H.W. oval office posted:

Even the IDF agrees with paulsoccer

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
absolutely loved the point made earlier about taking your sadness and anger and forming it into something that gives your personality a fundamental wrath. I’m a fairly calm dude these days externally, but I also live with a constant burning hatred inside of me that is very handy when you encounter someone opposed to global justice and freedom (be they Zionist, fash skinhead, cop, all three, etc) in real life. when you spend most of your life looking like a basically functional, pleasant person, it’s extremely unsettling to others when you’re suddenly telling them how they deserve to die, and some day will, and the world will piss on their corpse and forget their name as they deserve.

I’d also say this is handy the other way. when non-political people (for want of a better phrase) see that revolutionary fury can exist within someone they consider ‘normal and nice’, it makes those feelings and sentiments more acceptable.

in terms of practical steps, just do something, preferably in person and preferably with others. go to a protest, go hang out at an encampment. if the latter seems awkward, message first asking if there’s anything they need, materially or in terms of action. hell, go get a flag and hang it from your window proudly. do something, anything at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

smug jeebus posted:

imagine the eFFort posts he could make with a bachelors free time

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine the eFFort posts he could make with a bachelors free time
wait what is that FF
what happened to djibouti