Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jedi survivor pros:
Fun, engaging gameplay loop. It's been a long rear end time since I've had as much actual fun playing a video game as I've had exploring the six places you visit, and brutally murdering every rear end in a top hat I see.

You can customize Cal, his lightsaber, gun, and BD-1.

BD-1. Actually all the companions are great. Voice acting is amazing, and there is so much of it.

Holy poo poo the loving claymore lightsaber you get is wild.

Lightsaber combat is extremely fun, and feels weighty.

There's so much loving stuff to track down and do

You get to ride around on a big dodo, chopping down losers with your sweet lightsaber.

The dive bar, that you turn from a shithole into a decent hole by finding various people scattered around the game, that will all have a ton of poo poo to tell you. It has an aquarium you can fill up with fish from around the galaxy, and a rooftop garden you can plant weird flowers in :allears:

CONS:
Crashed a LOT on series s, one time setting me back half an hour.

The story was so so in my opinion (but is saved by the characters being great and the voice acting being amazing)

You only visit six locations throughout the game, and only the main planet has a pretty large map to explore. I would have liked to visit more planets, or explored the ones that are there more.

Felt compelled to share this because the game is fun as hell, and I even jumped straight into new game+ to 100% it, which is something I haven't done in decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

jedi survivor is solidly Fine but there's a part in an optional late-game area that got me good

you can go down into a cave system where enemy jedi routinely taunt you from behind seemingly impassable walls. other jedi are considered boss encounters and there's three of the bastards, so of course you'll have to fight them sooner or later. at the bottom of the caves you find a way to break open the walls, so after making it through the puzzle that shows off the mechanic, you're prepared to fight your way back up and deal with them

then in the next room all three jedi jump you at once

i haven't gotten that far but i'm really digging the vibes so far, love going around and finding new troublemakers to hang out in the saloon. :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zero_Grade posted:

The paper manual that came with the original Homeworld was incredible, even in that era of great manuals. It was like a hundred pages long, had tons of fictional history, sketchings of ingame stuff, tips & hints for all the various ships, just absolutely superb.

While I'm thinking about it, Master of Orion II was another game with a standout manual.

Mechwarrior 2 manual was my shitter companion for many years.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Lego Jurassic World: You get to see dinosaurs do many silly things! You can be the dinosaurs!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Biplane posted:

The story was so so in my opinion (but is saved by the characters being great and the voice acting being amazing)

That's been my take away from the two games so far, story is ok, but the characters are pretty fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The story in the Jedi games is basically generic Star Wars which would be more of a negative if "generic Star Wars" was anything being put out with the license these days.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I thought the story was alright in the moment, but nothing to write home about. I'm a lot more tolerant of that when it's in a game I'm actively playing, whereas I'd rather do almost anything than passively sit through the dozenth iteration of an alright Star Wars TV show.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I thought the story was alright in the moment, but nothing to write home about. I'm a lot more tolerant of that when it's in a game I'm actively playing, whereas I'd rather do almost anything than passively sit through the dozenth iteration of an alright Star Wars TV show.

:same:

One thing I forgot to say is you can fine tune the difficulty and there are no "beat the game on hard mode" cheevoz, which is great for feeble mid 30s olds like myself

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

The story in the Jedi games is basically generic Star Wars which would be more of a negative if "generic Star Wars" was anything being put out with the license these days.

Considering that Star Wars got its start as basically undifferentiated space opera with good VFX, this seems like a good thing to me. Know what you're good at and do that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Mechwarrior 2 manual was my shitter companion for many years.

Baldurs Gate 2 for me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Biplane posted:

One thing I forgot to say is you can fine tune the difficulty and there are no "beat the game on hard mode" cheevoz, which is great for feeble mid 30s olds like myself

The Jedi games have one of the best difficulty sliders around.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Lego Jurassic World: You get to see dinosaurs do many silly things! You can be the dinosaurs!

Lego Jurassic World is one of my favorite games to just vibe to. Every year or so I'll start it from scratch and 100% it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it’d be better if it was an AU rather than having to squeeze itself into a hole where it takes place near the movies but without impacting anything that could affect the movies.

Edit: Like the Shadow of Mordor games, which said “gently caress it, none of this is canon anyway” and went hard with derailing anything resembling the original plot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like it’d be better if it was an AU rather than having to squeeze itself into a hole where it takes place near the movies but without impacting anything that could affect the movies.

Edit: Like the Shadow of Mordor games, which said “gently caress it, none of this is canon anyway” and went hard with derailing anything resembling the original plot.

It'd be pretty funny if it was a stealth version of that. Like, you spend most of the game just offscreen of movie canon, but at the end, surprise! You kill Vader and set things up for full AU shenanigans in the sequel.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is Jedi Survivor playable on PC now? I've got a 4070ti, but iirc it was routinely bringing a 4090 to its knees due to hideous optimisation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

It'd be pretty funny if it was a stealth version of that. Like, you spend most of the game just offscreen of movie canon, but at the end, surprise! You kill Vader and set things up for full AU shenanigans in the sequel.

That's what Force Unleashed did, iirc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

To be fair Shadow of War firmly closed the loop on that one.

Byzantine posted:

That's what Force Unleashed did, iirc.

Sort of. Force Unleashed had two endings. In one, Starkiller died but he was responsible for founding the Rebel Alliance (his house symbol became the Alliance's icon) and in the other he killed Vader and became a new Vader, but then they put out a bunch of DLC following him through the events of the movies where he hosed up everything up and killed all the main cast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey I'm replaying a game and what's your favorite videogame shotgun, as the shotgun in Bioshock 2 is the only gun in a video game I can describe as going loving KABLOOEY

edit:

It is 20 decibels louder than any ambient sound in the game after you saw down the barrel

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:26 on May 17, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The shotgun in Bulletstorm is the videogamest shotgun.

On more general grounds, nothing has ever beaten the Doom 2 Super Shotgun and nothing ever will.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

ImpAtom posted:

following him through the events of the movies where he hosed up everything up and killed all the main cast.

Is this good or bad

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

On more general grounds, nothing has ever beaten the Doom 2 Super Shotgun and nothing ever will.

The Cedo shotgun in Warframe has quickly become my favorite video game shotgun of all time. Alt-fire launches one or more bouncing disks that cause guaranteed-status-effect-causing AOE explosions with each bounce, primary automatic shotgun fire does more damage for each status effect on the target.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Waste of Breath posted:

Is this good or bad

It's fantastic, they have fun with it being explicitly not connected to anything. Near the end he turns Luke to the Dark Side which is way more interesting than killing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_o0PN0ZSc

go directly to 1:20

edit: Oh this is from the first game my bad, but iirc the second one does stuff like this too.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:43 on May 17, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Lone Badger posted:

Motherfucker did more damage than the rocket launcher, clearing rooms of basic grunts with a single blast was cathartic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Breetai posted:

Motherfucker did more damage than the rocket launcher, clearing rooms of basic grunts with a single blast was cathartic.

Yeah, when you had four lined up at just the right angle it was just so drat satisfying. It's no wonder a lot of shotguns in games feel so limp after that.

While not technically a shotgun, Unreal's flak cannon functionally was and a hell of one at that. I think FPS's trend towards the "realistic" during the mid/late 2000's to 2010's ended up toning down shotguns a lot in games, for the worse.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 08:33 on May 17, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I only just got started on Ghost of Tsushima, but I really appreciate its approach to difficulty so far. Enemies can take you down very quickly in just a few hits, but crucially you can kill them right back just as quickly. It makes the difficulty feel fair and organic, as well as fitting with the style. I find that way more fun and interesting than games creating difficulty by giving enemies huge-rear end healthbars and dragging everything out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When playing Bioshock 2 it is imperative to pick up the level's Little Sister as soon as possible (has sound)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

Perestroika posted:

I only just got started on Ghost of Tsushima, but I really appreciate its approach to difficulty so far. Enemies can take you down very quickly in just a few hits, but crucially you can kill them right back just as quickly. It makes the difficulty feel fair and organic, as well as fitting with the style. I find that way more fun and interesting than games creating difficulty by giving enemies huge-rear end healthbars and dragging everything out.

Devil May Cry probably had the right idea with the difficulty option that makes both enemies and Dante die in one hit. (Heaven or Hell, wasn't it?) IIRC Dark Souls works similarly, you can really gently caress up enemies quick if you know how but they can still do the same to you, even with the tankiest builds it's only a matter of degree.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Honestly, both shotguns in Doom/Doom 2 were good. The OG shotgun is a good mid-range weapon for dealing with enemies, and able to one-shot zombie troops and shotgunners at surprising distances (amd was essentially a sniper rifle in the SNES version because of janky-rear end programming), while the Super Shotgun is the ur-shotgun of every shotgun in a videogame since, terrible damage at a range further than a gnat's fart, but SHREDS anything up close.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Devil May Cry probably had the right idea with the difficulty option that makes both enemies and Dante die in one hit. (Heaven or Hell, wasn't it?) IIRC Dark Souls works similarly, you can really gently caress up enemies quick if you know how but they can still do the same to you, even with the tankiest builds it's only a matter of degree.

Ghost of Tsushima has a lethal mode that's more or less like that, too. I also like its difficulty tuning and options - I was able to master the combat well enough at easier levels that I worked my way up to that level, it felt very rewarding to actually play competently in difficult modes for once.

I remember bouncing off of Sekiro pretty quickly because it was only set at a high difficulty. Its combat is probably great too, but I'll never know because I don't have the patience to start at that level, rather than working my way up to it over time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ghost of Tsushima has a lethal mode that's more or less like that, too. I also like its difficulty tuning and options - I was able to master the combat well enough at easier levels that I worked my way up to that level, it felt very rewarding to actually play competently in difficult modes for once.

I remember bouncing off of Sekiro pretty quickly because it was only set at a high difficulty. Its combat is probably great too, but I'll never know because I don't have the patience to start at that level, rather than working my way up to it over time.

Sekiro also does both of the difficulty things; the combat is very deadly, but enemies also have inflated health. You have to fight perfectly for extended periods of time to wear them down, while a missed parry can cost you 80% of your own health. I hated it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the shotgun in FEAR is more of a magic wand, in that it makes anything you point it at disappear

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Breaker Shotgun in Helldivers 2 is also a magic wand that makes Terminids vanish.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint still has my most favourite recent game shotgun, because they have realisticish range and kills things all the way to the end of that. If you could put a decent scope on them you would never need any other weapon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splatoon shotguns are actually the best, because they can also fire out a jet propelled umbrella to bonk enemies in the face with

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Breetai posted:

Is Jedi Survivor playable on PC now? I've got a 4070ti, but iirc it was routinely bringing a 4090 to its knees due to hideous optimisation.

I'm running it on my year old build with a 30something and no problems.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been playing American Fugitive on the Steamdeck, and it's a decent OG GTA-style game. One really nice touch over GTA-style games is that it's far, FAR easier to lose police, as they'll go to your last known position and start searching from there rather than psychically knowing where you are at all times, and helicopters can lose you by running under tree coverage. Also, if you're out of their line of sight, you can steal a change of clothes and quickly loose heat that way as well. Just nice changes from the normal games that make getting wanted stars not a massive pain in the rear end.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Shotgun chat: Payday: the Heist had the Locomotive shotgun. It had good range and power and was very satisfying to bring on a mission.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm really impressed by the feature in GoT where the wind blows towards your current objective or map marker. It keeps the Ubisoft clutter to a minimum, and the on-screen UI is already super clean.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Philippe posted:

I'm really impressed by the feature in GoT where the wind blows towards your current objective or map marker. It keeps the Ubisoft clutter to a minimum, and the on-screen UI is already super clean.

I love it, I was curious how they'd implement it on PC. On Playstations you can just swipe the touchpad to activate that (and a few other actions), but I always wondered how it would translate to another system without that feature when the controls are already pretty maxed out otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

Fifty Farts posted:

Shotgun chat: Payday: the Heist had the Locomotive shotgun. It had good range and power and was very satisfying to bring on a mission.

In Payday 2 it's a ridiculously good secondary weapon to the point of cheating given it's competing with pistols.