Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

asked a stranger to take a photo of a friend and me with my pixel 8 today, and bless the guy for being nice enough to do it, but he took a few half decent ones but no actually usable ones.

first time really putting "best take" to the test and it was a life saver to slap together the best picture with a different one where my eyes weren't closed. then magic eraser got rid of some random person's arm creeping in from the side of the photo.

love these tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Every year:

"We don't see why Sony feels the need to put a 4k display in their flagship device."

This, however, was not an invite to overcorrect and put a 1080p screen in your $1600 device.

They are also pulling out of the US market.

My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact in 2014 was such a beauty of a phone. At the time I couldn't tolerate "big" phones - the software wasn't optimised for one-handed use on those screens for one thing. Battery life was ridiculous coming from the prior smartphones I'd had - HTC Desire, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC 8X - and when it got the "Concept" ROM to replace Sony's own Android variant, it was getting monthly security updates when that was rare and it just ran like a dream.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Yep also had the z3 Compact and loved it. Come back small phones

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ShoogaSlim posted:

asked a stranger to take a photo of a friend and me with my pixel 8 today, and bless the guy for being nice enough to do it, but he took a few half decent ones but no actually usable ones.

first time really putting "best take" to the test and it was a life saver to slap together the best picture with a different one where my eyes weren't closed. then magic eraser got rid of some random person's arm creeping in from the side of the photo.

love these tools

For all that everyone complains about AI being pointless, tools like this are incredibly useful and will only get better.

Speaking of tools, ChatGPT released a version that allows you to have a vocal conversation with their language model, and it's available on Android. I used it today to instantly translate English/Spanish with a colleague, very cool.

It can also take those photos you took, identify any element you ask about, and provide supplementary info. For example, I took a picture of a black blob on the underside of a crepe myrtle leaf and it correctly diagnosed the sooty mold disease, explained the cause, and told me how to treat it with neem oil. I knew all this, and had already mixed my oil. To further test it, I asked what the ratio was to dilute the oil and it nailed it perfectly. It also warned me to avoid the leaf cutter bees it had successfully identified by photo a few minutes earlier :yaycloud:

Anyway, the tools are great and I also enjoy the new camera features.

(yes I know it's not technically AI, but our society sucks at specificity)

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 17, 2024

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

waiting for them to release the google photos tool that will just let me generate friends next to me in my photos

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hell yeah, make 'em ugly too so I look good by comparison.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

For all that everyone complains about AI being pointless, tools like this are incredibly useful and will only get better.

Speaking of tools, ChatGPT released a version that allows you to have a vocal conversation with their language model, and it's available on Android. I used it today to instantly translate English/Spanish with a colleague, very cool.

It can also take those photos you took, identify any element you ask about, and provide supplementary info. For example, I took a picture of a black blob on the underside of a crepe myrtle leaf and it correctly diagnosed the sooty mold disease, explained the cause, and told me how to treat it with neem oil. I knew all this, and had already mixed my oil. To further test it, I asked what the ratio was to dilute the oil and it nailed it perfectly. It also warned me to avoid the leaf cutter bees it had successfully identified by photo a few minutes earlier :yaycloud:

I mean ... pointless mostly refers to : it's a gimmick. A toy. Nice, ok, but can live without it. Doesn't meaningfully improve ... anything really. The potential is there, after the novelty wears out and people start to think on how to actually make useful poo poo with it. 'Cause what we have so far is not it. Like I saw someone writing: "I don't want for AI to write novels or paint while I do the dishes. I want the AI to do the dishes while I write novels or paint."

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Leon Sumbitches posted:

This is all cool but my big problem with these programs currently is that it could be completely making up sooty mold disease and giving you extremely confident instructions on how to quickly kill your plant. Like if I ask it to give me restaurant recommendations in the area there's a pretty good chance it's going to give me a novella about a restaurant which has never actually existed, which is kinda funny, but people are really leaning into normalizing these AI models as this unassailable source of truth and unless you deliberately fact-check it every step of the way (and then I guess why would you even use it to begin with?) it's very dangerously not that.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This is all cool but my big problem with these programs currently is that it could be completely making up sooty mold disease and giving you extremely confident instructions on how to quickly kill your plant. Like if I ask it to give me restaurant recommendations in the area there's a pretty good chance it's going to give me a novella about a restaurant which has never actually existed, which is kinda funny, but people are really leaning into normalizing these AI models as this unassailable source of truth and unless you deliberately fact-check it every step of the way (and then I guess why would you even use it to begin with?) it's very dangerously not that.

It seems to have advanced past this level of hallucinations. It can source its work for questions where that's relevant. With the current state of Google search, it's a good starting point.

Here it accurately gave me two restaurants, their correct addresses, links to their websites, and two menu items without adding anything false. I've used it like this several times and haven't had any concerns yet.

And sure if you're trying to make art with it, you're missing the point. I'm trying to get my job finished more quickly so I can get home and sculpt.

Just yesterday I dictated some notes from a meeting at work and GPT created a well outlined executive summary complete with appropriate formatting. I still had minor edits to do, but the grunt work of creating a rote document from scratch was done for me. It saved fifteen minutes of procrastinating plus another ten or fifteen of writing. This morning my boss was highly complementary of the email. That's my version of doing the dishes and folding laundry, or whatever. Figure out what can be automated and do that, saving time and mental energy for poo poo I actually care about.

I promise I'll let the thread know if it backfires, tho

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Blurb3947 posted:

Yep also had the z3 Compact and loved it. Come back small phones

same here :respek:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I still.have my z3 compact in a box somewhere like I might still give up with these giant modern phones and go back to it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

calandryll posted:

I've used DeX on my tablet a bunch of times, it's the one thing I wish vanilla Android had.

Pixel 8 and newer phones might be getting it at some point. Some people have been able to turn it on (think it requires root right now) but it's not very functional yet.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It seems to have advanced past this level of hallucinations. It can source its work for questions where that's relevant. With the current state of Google search, it's a good starting point.

Here it accurately gave me two restaurants, their correct addresses, links to their websites, and two menu items without adding anything false. I've used it like this several times and haven't had any concerns yet.

And sure if you're trying to make art with it, you're missing the point. I'm trying to get my job finished more quickly so I can get home and sculpt.

Just yesterday I dictated some notes from a meeting at work and GPT created a well outlined executive summary complete with appropriate formatting. I still had minor edits to do, but the grunt work of creating a rote document from scratch was done for me. It saved fifteen minutes of procrastinating plus another ten or fifteen of writing. This morning my boss was highly complementary of the email. That's my version of doing the dishes and folding laundry, or whatever. Figure out what can be automated and do that, saving time and mental energy for poo poo I actually care about.

I promise I'll let the thread know if it backfires, tho

Yeah that is the kinda stuff I can see AI being useful for, summarizing notes, crawling through terms and conditions or reference documents and giving you the gist of it, organizing your mails and files related to a project... All the fiddly annoying stuff

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Some of the AI stuff is crazy good. Our HR department didn't have a letter template for redeploying staff, so I just threw a few parameters into Copilot and it gave me cracker output.

I was in New York City last week (first trip to the US since 2000) and Copilot was able to tell me subway lines and switch overs. Amazing stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Google maps has been able to do that for years now. It's still impressive I guess

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I mean it's good that it works, but nothing demonstrated on this page is something you haven't been able to do from a Pixel or most other android devices for a year or more. I'm not seeing groundbreaking use cases here.

What I want out of an AI assistant is for it to be able to do poo poo that I really don't feel like doing but needs to be done, but the key piece is that I have to be able to trust it.

Like, right now I have about 3 movies from two different studios that have a somewhat annoying defect in that version of their pressings that have exchange programs for. These aren't very complex things, most of them just require finding the right link, filling out the right information, and submitting a photo or two or maybe an invoice on a purchase. It's low hanging fruit stuff that would probably take like 15 minutes to complete. But, I always end up remembering about it when I can't actually take the time to do that stuff and then I forget later or something else will come up.

If I could tell the an AI assistant "arrange the exchange of my defective Road Warrior disc" and have it go out, find the right process to initiate the recall and only prompt me when it needs stuff in the physical world (take picture of UPC and upload it here), that would be amazing and a real actual help in culling the dumb background poo poo of doing day to day stuff and free up time.

Other things like "here are pictures of my bathroom, get 3 rough quotes from reputable contactors for a complete gut and remodel job along with when they would be able to do the work." I know the actual job would need refinement because of decisions you have to make when doing the remodel, but even a range given the size of the job gets the ball rolling. Starting points like that which are normally a PITA to do yourself. For something like that, you are really going to have to trust that it's capable of filtering out scam contractors.

Translators and stuff are all cool and can be helpful in certain situations, but it's all stuff we've mostly solved for. AI being a better search engine isn't innovation. I want AI to do automation for one-of tasks that you wouldn't normally spend time to build automation for since they are one-of tasks.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 18, 2024

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Exactly. When Google Assistant came out I had this wild idea that we were on our way to; "Hey Phone, see if Dr. So-and-So has any openings in September on a Tuesday or Thursday" and through magical robot voice calling or Internet communication it would eventually throw up a prompt like "Is Tuesday September # at 3pm okay?", and I'd just mash "Yes".

That's kinda where I want to see this go eventually, just handle the mundane poo poo I don't want to think about or do.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

An actual assistant is maybe the only good & ethical use for AI besides maybe contract review

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mental Hospitality posted:

Exactly. When Google Assistant came out I had this wild idea that we were on our way to; "Hey Phone, see if Dr. So-and-So has any openings in September on a Tuesday or Thursday" and through magical robot voice calling or Internet communication it would eventually throw up a prompt like "Is Tuesday September # at 3pm okay?", and I'd just mash "Yes".

That's kinda where I want to see this go eventually, just handle the mundane poo poo I don't want to think about or do.
you mean duplex?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I mean it's good that it works, but nothing demonstrated on this page is something you haven't been able to do from a Pixel or most other android devices for a year or more. I'm not seeing groundbreaking use cases here.

What I want out of an AI assistant is for it to be able to do poo poo that I really don't feel like doing but needs to be done, but the key piece is that I have to be able to trust it.

Like, right now I have about 3 movies from two different studios that have a somewhat annoying defect in that version of their pressings that have exchange programs for. These aren't very complex things, most of them just require finding the right link, filling out the right information, and submitting a photo or two or maybe an invoice on a purchase. It's low hanging fruit stuff that would probably take like 15 minutes to complete. But, I always end up remembering about it when I can't actually take the time to do that stuff and then I forget later or something else will come up.

If I could tell the an AI assistant "arrange the exchange of my defective Road Warrior disc" and have it go out, find the right process to initiate the recall and only prompt me when it needs stuff in the physical world (take picture of UPC and upload it here), that would be amazing and a real actual help in culling the dumb background poo poo of doing day to day stuff and free up time.

Other things like "here are pictures of my bathroom, get 3 rough quotes from reputable contactors for a complete gut and remodel job along with when they would be able to do the work." I know the actual job would need refinement because of decisions you have to make when doing the remodel, but even a range given the size of the job gets the ball rolling. Starting points like that which are normally a PITA to do yourself. For something like that, you are really going to have to trust that it's capable of filtering out scam contractors.

Translators and stuff are all cool and can be helpful in certain situations, but it's all stuff we've mostly solved for. AI being a better search engine isn't innovation. I want AI to do automation for one-of tasks that you wouldn't normally spend time to build automation for since they are one-of tasks.

bull son, you're rich enough to employ someone to do this stuff for you. Get hiring!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hardly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am never letting a goddamn robot hire a bathroom contractor for me

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I completely forgot this was a thing. Maybe I'll see if it can call my dentist.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i love my S24 Ultra. i love the non-rounded edges of the screen. it is real nice. that's all I got to say today

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm going to switch my posts to Gemini-generated in this thread, just you wait

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

I am never letting a goddamn robot hire a bathroom contractor for me

I didn't say hire. I said get competing quotes with rough ranges and availability. This is creating an opening and removing an hour or two of work from your plate and making it easier to start something. Final decision making and details are still up to you.

All of this poo poo requires back and forth phone tag to even get preliminaries and that's only once you finally figure out who you might want to call.

It's so drat tedious and a time suck. Call a place, it goes to voicemail, they call back and you are working and can't take the call, so you end up calling them back later and leaving a different voice mail. You eventually get to pass information about the project and they come back with a rough quote 200% above the market because they are overbooked and really don't want to take the job unless they can make a much higher profit on it. Waste of time and you may have lost the window of opportunity to get someone else to do it while you were dicking around with the first one.

It's not that you can't easily do this stuff on your own, but the point of technology is to be able to shortcut the death by 1000 cuts for all the stuff that we have to do.

barnold posted:

i love my S24 Ultra. i love the non-rounded edges of the screen. it is real nice. that's all I got to say today

I like mine except the camera. Samsung has lost the plot and haven't made any significant improvements in image quality and consistency in a few generations now and they were behind to begin with. It's a subpar camera system for a $1300 device.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I didn't say hire. I said get competing quotes with rough ranges and availability. This is creating an opening and removing an hour or two of work from your plate and making it easier to start something. Final decision making and details are still up to you.

All of this poo poo requires back and forth phone tag to even get preliminaries and that's only once you finally figure out who you might want to call.

It's so drat tedious and a time suck. Call a place, it goes to voicemail, they call back and you are working and can't take the call, so you end up calling them back later and leaving a different voice mail. You eventually get to pass information about the project and they come back with a rough quote 200% above the market because they are overbooked and really don't want to take the job unless they can make a much higher profit on it. Waste of time and you may have lost the window of opportunity to get someone else to do it while you were dicking around with the first one.

It's not that you can't easily do this stuff on your own, but the point of technology is to be able to shortcut the death by 1000 cuts for all the stuff that we have to do.

huh never thought of it that way due to using thumbtack and/or texting/email for driveway, kitchen, plumbing, and roof work over the past idk 8-10 years. I can see some contractors "just preferring phone/face to face" but around here those guys are all overpriced, overbooked, and understaffed, I can see a robot just wasting their time for spite, yeah.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I spent last week in New York City and took loads of photos and videos. Videos seem to get really badly compressed when sent to friends and family over WhatsApp (and Signal, come to think of it). Instructions on how to stop that seems defunct on the most recent WhatsApp releases.

Am I best just sending links to the videos from Google Photos instead?

Send the file as a document (like, don't select "photos" and choose the photo, tell Whatsapp you want to send a document, then find the photo and it will send in original quality (or should at least)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm going to switch my posts to Gemini-generated in this thread, just you wait

Going to? I thought you already did!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

google assistant is such garbage

update, it's even worse now

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know where I can get copies of outdated Android sounds. I am mostly thinking of the element sounds. I used to like cesium.
And how can I save the sound files that are currently on my device. I don't want to lose them on my next device update.
I just lost a different alarm because I rarely use it. I reset my old device and packed it up for trade in. Lost the elements that way years ago.

On that note. Upgrading from pixel 6a to 8a is not noticeable while using the phone. It even almost fits into my old case, except that the camera bar is a bit lower. Charging wirelessly is a massive improvement though, no regrets.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know where I can get copies of outdated Android sounds. I am mostly thinking of the element sounds. I used to like cesium.
And how can I save the sound files that are currently on my device. I don't want to lose them on my next device update.
I just lost a different alarm because I rarely use it. I reset my old device and packed it up for trade in. Lost the elements that way years ago.
The Cesium sound appears in an archive here.

A bunch of Pixel (up to android 12) specific sounds here.

They are just files you can copy off your phone, it's just a matter of finding the folders they're in, from what I can gather. Though just web searching for "Android [version number] notification sounds download" often shows people having uploaded them some place or another.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
No Google Gemini, I don't want to text with you!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

withoutclass posted:

:emptyquote:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Android Auto keeps offering to have Gemini summarize my text messages for me. Who receives text messages that are so long that they need a summary?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

withoutclass posted:

why wouldn't you want to talk with the evil twin we made of and for you

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what one feature keeps driving me back to Pixels (besides call screening)? Being able to copy text from the app overview card even if it’s not real text or not normally selectable.

It’s such a gobsmackingly useful feature that I inevitably end up trying to do it on my other devices only to get frustrated when I can’t.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

You know what one feature keeps driving me back to Pixels (besides call screening)? Being able to copy text from the app overview card even if it’s not real text or not normally selectable.

It’s such a gobsmackingly useful feature that I inevitably end up trying to do it on my other devices only to get frustrated when I can’t.
wow i use this a lot, didn't know it was pixel-only

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

butt dickus posted:

wow i use this a lot, didn't know it was pixel-only

I just tried this for the first time ever.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No idea that was possible. My poo poo posting will be unstoppable now.