Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

You need to ask people what is their favorite independent animated movie before you add them to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rolling

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

btw i forgot to remove a couple people from the wheel after they picked. there are now 9 people remaining

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FEMALE PRISONER #701: SCORPION
Courtesy of Roth

After being used and betrayed by the detective she had fallen in love with, young Matsu is sent to a female prison full of sadistic guards and disobedient prisoners.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJSPIfxN3c

Director: Shunya Ito
Writer: Fumio Konami, Hiro Matsuda, Tooru Shinohara
Stars: Meiko Kaji, Rie Yokoyama, Yayoi Watanabe

Available On: Tubi, Arrow

Available From: 5/20 - 6/2

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 20, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

forgot to change the thread tag on monday but tbh that feels like a uhf joke so it stays

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Duel to the Death

I'm not too knowledgeable on kung fu movies, so I haven't heard of this one. I watched the dubbed on Crackle, which is on par with early 90s dubbed anime era voicework so overall tolerable. The story was fine. The fights were cool, and the duel at the end paid off. This movie also taught me that I should praise the Buddha when I see a naked woman. Ok recommend.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Badass pick Roth

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
UHF

Lmfao. I could watch Weird Al screaming while Michael Richards bumbles for hours. Top moment that I didn't know going in was weird al cutting the guys arm off right at the start.

4/4

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

herculon posted:

You need to ask people what is their favorite independent animated movie before you add them to the list

Lmao, but also, it's Twice Upon a Time (1983)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mark Osborne's More for me, off the top of my head.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 17, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

herculon posted:

N/A

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

Con air with a filter on it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Found out the reason the animal wrangler host wasn't set up like the other hosts was because he died in a hit and run during the production. :smith:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Found out the reason the animal wrangler host wasn't set up like the other hosts was because he died in a hit and run during the production. :smith:

Yea, supposedly there was a written scene near the end where all the animals gang up on him but they were never able to shoot it.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
UHF
laughed a couple of times and chuckled/smiled some others
overall not very funny imo
sry weird al...
2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

couldn't handle freddy got fingered and then you give UHF a 2. what the gently caress is your problem dude.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
gah htf do u all like this movie
boomers. only explanation

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

tmfc posted:

couldn't handle freddy got fingered and then you give UHF a 2. what the gently caress is your problem dude.

starting to think i might be over 10 years younger than a lot of ppl itt
and other country
those are my two excuses

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i tihnk it's a cultural thing. we should celebrate our differneces imo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

I got the tude now posted:

i tihnk it's a cultural thing. we should celebrate our differneces imo

yup

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Where are you from again Fucker?

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

oh yeah i forgot different country. disregard

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

based on fucker's posting I assume they're from one of those grey Soviet bloc countries where joy is illegal

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I believe Fucker is Portuguese

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

herculon posted:

I believe Fucker is Portuguese

there's no need to be rude.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Duel to the Death

this is so cool

kenji just being a complete poo poo about everything chinese, you guys like the wrong flowers

all the cool stuff ninjas can do that stops them from feeling like the complete jobbers they are. the giant one splitting into normal ones by just cutting to animation was great

the scene where they gotta jump on the boat

i yelled out loud at the ending, its so good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

also, thank you, Fungah, for running this for the dozen or so people who read it, lol. nice to have an online movie club :cheers:

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Duel to the Death (3.5 out of 5 stars)

This was super fun. Good plot, great main characters, and a couple of scenes with genuinely excellent fight choreography. It's a little wuxia-ier than I normally like in my kung-fu movies, but I think it's really fun here. Like, the movie starts with normal guys who get normal fight choreography, then almost immediately jumps the rails into goofy poo poo like ninja sorcery and sword masters who can fly, and ramps up from there (I genuinely laughed out loud at the ninja kites). Also, Kenji's death scene loving rules and the titular duel on the cliff is absolutely iconic.

I absolutely love this era of Hong Kong action cinema. This doesn't quite rise to the level of some of better Golden Harvest features or the Shaw Brothers classics, but it's still a blast. Great pick!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the actual duel is so insanely cool

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm on the literal first scene of Duel to the Death and the camerawork alone as it tracks the ninjas is blowing my mind.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

I'm on the literal first scene of Duel to the Death and the camerawork alone as it tracks the ninjas is blowing my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp78OsmLoKA

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't watch a lot of wuxia and I don't know why. I loved this. The sound and visual effects are insane. Really anything involving the ninjas - the weird gun noises when they're throwing smoke and how they magically appear out of nowhere constantly. The shot of the little action figures on kites made me lol. This is a movie that takes itself very seriously but knows how ridiculous of a concept that is and goes way over the top.

3.5 stars

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
finally had some time to watch Duel to the Death tonight. this is probably the fourth time i’ve seen this film over the years, and it makes me laugh every time. it is pretty decent wuxia and martial arts mix, and i always love a good duel movie. the story leading up to the duel was so weird, but it gives us so many moments to see the ninjas doing their thing against the honorable chinese kung fu masters. also lol boobs distracting the monk and a priest’s head exploding, perfect levels of weird. anyway, the wire work was good even if you could see it at times, excellent costuming and weapon fighting, and unexpected twists and turns at the right times. 3.5/5

i picked this one because i had assumed many of you hadn’t seen it, and not everyone has been introduced to this kind of wuxia/china vs japan storyline. i’m glad to see people enjoying it for all of the reasons i picked it! :3:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Duel To The Death: a lot of fun, I was shocked to find that this was the director's debut because he seems to already be an expert, as I noted earlier he does lots of great stuff with the camera, the way it swoops around to keep up with the action adds a liveliness even beyond what the excellent fight choreography itself does. Lots of really good visuals, the masked warrior bathed in green light towards the beginning, the endless black void Ching Wan falls into through the trap door, the giant ninja splitting into several through a few seconds of animation, lots and lots of little moments. The final duel was great, instantly iconic, the rocks and crashing waves were such a good setting setting for it. I also really liked the choice not to actually show a victor, although I am of course rooting for my boy Hashimoto. Loved that little trick he did with his scabbard at the end. Ramming his sword through his foot to keep himself upright was so cool. I was trying to figure out where I saw something similar and about 15 minutes after the movie ended it occurred to me that it was Metal Gear Solid 4 lol

I had a lot of fun watching this one, thanks for the pick Prag!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
oh yes, the ending is extremely :kiss:, excellent framing, and perfectly summed up with this from before:

Fungah! posted:

The best sword master from China vs the best sword master from Japan. Who will win?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao the head exploding after getting kebab'd on a branch. this owns

copy
Jul 26, 2007

oh gently caress you samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Duel to the Death: man gently caress these ninjas only thing theyre good for is exploding. cool watching the motivations behind the fight and especially Ching Wan start off all hype for the fight and then a little rattled after talking with his forest crackhead first master about it (talking about how he was forced into the fight for the guy's pride) and then after killing his eight hundredth ninja and the fight with his girl's dad he's just done with it. hashimoto's arc was cool too as his motivation for fighting changed even though his desire to have the duel didn;'t. Action was top notch which a film like this lives or dies on. I read a lot of wuxia comics these days and i feel like few movies really capture the otherworldliness of the genre very well, but this one i think nailed it right out the gate. 4/5