Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not sure if I read it in this OP or in a subsequent post but which languages is the word/phrase for eat food literally translated as "eat rice" other than Chinese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe Thai? I think they say "kin khao" (eat rice) to mean "eat."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got a list somewhere let me go get it

e:

1. most but not strictly all of the chinese languages
2. japanese
3. korean
4. vietnamese
5. thai
6. tagalog
7. khmer
8. burmese
9. bengali
10. tamil

the script dominance of chinese languages means that in basically all written chinese, whatever dialect, it is that way

notably missing are austro-asiatic languages

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 11, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Japanese gets funky with it in that the inherent "eating-rice"ness of 食 and its derivatives isn't immediately accepted in most cases; there are (among other things) a native 食べ物 tabemono "food", Sino-xenic 食物 shokumotsu and 食品 shokuhin "foodstuffs" before reaching 飯 which explicitly refers to cooked rice and used in mixed ご飯 gohan "meal" or informal native めし meshi "meal" that's commonly written with 飯 but predates the introduction of Hanzi and probably derives from "served" or "presented".

食る/食う tabe.ru/ku.u "eat" and its close relative 喰う ku.u "devour" can apply to any of these, and while the written version of each incorporates 食 the spoken versions derive from "to have been deigned to be given to" and "to mouth" respectively.

That said, the most common colloquial "eat" is probably "(朝・昼・夜)ご飯を食べる", "have breakfast/lunch/dinner", and the name of each meal is "(time of day) + (cooked rice)".

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what are the best lazy rice dishes? im talking put some rice in the rice cooker and do a trivial amount of extra work for a meal. stuff akin to stirring in a raw egg, etc

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PokeJoe posted:

what are the best lazy rice dishes? im talking put some rice in the rice cooker and do a trivial amount of extra work for a meal. stuff akin to stirring in a raw egg, etc

Grab a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket and toss some in with some freshly-cooked white or brown rice and a favorite sauce or seasoning. I'm partial to peri-peri sauce, Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce, or even just a little butter.

Honestly, adding a little butter and salt to some fresh rice is pretty awesome on its own.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PokeJoe posted:

Put some rice in the rice cooker, put some veggies in the steamer basket above it.
Then assemble and pour over some spice mix. Like Furikake, Shichimi, LGM, or whatever.

For more power you can add a whole egg to the steamer. Or mix in the raw egg into your rice. Or add some canned fish to your meal. Or premade daal from your fridge.

For slightly more effort you take the same veggies, shake them with gee and soy-sauce and brown them in your oven/air-fryer/pan. Similarly you turn the egg into an omelet.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

rice w lao gan ma chili crisp and a fried egg or two + some steamed veg

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Rice and furikake and chili oil.

Maybe pour some instant miso soup over cold rice too, I used to do that when I was hard up.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rice + tinned fish of some kind, whatever sauce (I like chili crisp or mango chutney) + a diced up vegetable or green beans/peas. Incredibly easy, I guess an egg like everyone else says would make it even nicer. You can add coconut milk to the rice in the rice cooker for more taste/calories

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh yeah, tinned mackerel in tomato sauce was a go-to. Cheap, reasonably good for you, and you can add it cold to the hot rice and it's still very good.

Tinned chickpeas mixed with salt, pepper, a touch of vinegar and olive oil can be good too, as a topping.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chop up some kimchi, add that + kimchi juice, gochujang, rice vinegar and possibly soy sauce to the rice cooker. Top with a fried egg if you're feeling adventurous.