Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

thanks, i'll have a look at these. didn't know the indicator was region free

Indicator tends to be region free more than not. They even have a page listing everything:

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/region-free-titles

as well as their US releases, which are at least region A/B, if not region free:

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

thanks, i'll have a look at these. didn't know the indicator was region free

Not all of their releases are region free, but many of them are. They list the region in the details.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Franchescanado posted:

Not all of their releases are region free, but many of them are. They list the region in the details.

Are there instances where some of their releases will list Region B on the package itself but will actually be a region free disc? I have store that stocks a ton of their import nearby, but I've hesitated on purchases before. Still, I thought I read something to that effect on a blu ray forum.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Are there instances where some of their releases will list Region B on the package itself but will actually be a region free disc? I have store that stocks a ton of their import nearby, but I've hesitated on purchases before. Still, I thought I read something to that effect on a blu ray forum.

I've heard of this yeah, but I don't know how many of their releases this is the case for, just that it's more than a few

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A few labels have that but it's hard to predict. The Signal One release of Death Race 2000 says Region B but plays fine on my Region A player. The Third Window release of Kamikaze Girls has the main movie disc as region free but the special features disc is B, with only Region B listed on the back.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cool, good to know. I'll stick with the releases that note it explicitly. Thanks, goons

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-ray.com is often a good resource if you want do double check. I've picked up a lot of UK discs that say Region B when they're actually A/B or even free.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Went to the local shop and they had an Indicator import copy of The Pillow Book! Hell yeah. Also found a few Ken Russell flicks. A good day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

sadfly posted:

Why doesn’t Criterion have any films by:

-Harmony Korine (Trash Humpers is on the Criterion Channel but does that mean anything? I would also love to see the entire Southbound series by his father Sol Korine on Eclipse but do they even do Eclipse stuff anymore?)
-Gaspar Noe (despite doing a closet picks vid - nada)
-Werner Herzog (they have Burden of Dreams by Les Blank but not Fitzcarraldo?!)
-Vincent Gallo
-Frances Ford Coppola (OK so they have Rumblefish which is terrific but still)
-Leos Carax
-Alan Clarke
-Quentin Tarantino

Just to name a few, off the top of my head

Tsai Ming-liang
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Roy Andersson
Mohsen Makhmalbaf
Emir Kusturica

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone watched any of the Obayashi Anti war collection? I've only seen Hausu (amazing), so curious about his other films.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Anyone watched any of the Obayashi Anti war collection? I've only seen Hausu (amazing), so curious about his other films.

I'd love to know about this as well, I want to see more but they all seem radically different from the descriptions so I have no idea where to start.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only other one I’ve seen is His Motorbike, Her Island but that’s super good and I recommend it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The only other one I’ve seen is His Motorbike, Her Island but that’s super good and I recommend it

yuuuup, incredible film

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Obayashi is a pretty great watch no matter what era

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.screendaily.com/news/indian-paintbrush-founder-steven-rales-buys-criterion-janus-films-exclusive/5193832.article

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Tsai Ming-liang
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Roy Andersson
Mohsen Makhmalbaf
Emir Kusturica

They actually do have one from Weerasethakul, Mysterious Object at Noon in the one of the World Cinema Project sets 🤓 Not his best movie or anything but a good restoration given how rough the available materials were.

I guess as far as "billionaire acquisitions" go this isn't the most concerning it could be given that he's Wes Anderson's guy but still makes me feel a little jumpy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alright so Isle of Dogs and French Dispatch are definitely going in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you know...it's a good thing there are so many other ggreatood boutique lables these days lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I’m late but rip roger corman. Read his autobio “how I made a hundred movies in hollywood and never lost a dime”

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
They got me today

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

you know...it's a good thing there are so many other ggreatood boutique lables these days lol

Severin presents Babette’s Feast on 4k

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What A Way To Go: super stacked cast with Shirley Maclaine, Paul Newman, Robert Mitchum, Dick Van Dyke, Gene Kelly, clothes by Edith Head, promises of campy humor…all that talent and the film completely sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Nightmare Cinema posted:

They got me today

I can never resist. I pulled the trigger on the Haneke/von Trier sets with 3 earlier movies apiece, the Gates of Heaven?Vernon, Florida two-pack, and Okja.