Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The thing I don't understand is why the Dolphins don't already know if he's their guy or not. They should loving know by now.

Because we have 1 1/2 seasons of this Tua. You can basically throw his first two season in the garbage they are completely meaningless and we learned nothing from them.

You should know, you were his loudest detractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Don’t bite the bait

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

Because we have 1 1/2 seasons of this Tua. You can basically throw his first two season in the garbage they are completely meaningless and we learned nothing from them.

You should know, you were his loudest detractor.

I don't agree the uncertainty surrounding Tua has to do with his playing time. It has to do with his skill level. If Tua has another season largely identical to the one we just had, there'd still be a debate over whether or not to pay him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tua unable to get a 3rd wr (or te) going despite having 2 guys who strangle all the attention is insanely bad

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

I don't agree the uncertainty surrounding Tua has to do with his playing time. It has to do with his skill level. If Tua has another season largely identical to the one we just had, there'd still be a debate over whether or not to pay him.

His injury concerns don’t have to do with playing time? Interesting take.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think unfortunately NFL QBs missing games is just par for the course now. The ironmen QBs are a thing of the past despite the NFL's efforts to protect the position. There are just too many games and the balance of power between passrushers and offensive linemen has become too unbalanced.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

His injury concerns don’t have to do with playing time? Interesting take.

Tua's injury concerns aren't really any more significant that Joe Burrow's or Lamar Jackson's.

He's a Dalton Line guy. He's franchise QB purgatory. If he was slightly better then giving him a long-term contract would be a no brainer; if he was slightly worse, cutting him loose would be a no brainer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They’d already given Burrow the contract before his injury concerns popped up. Different situation entirely.

We’ll see what the do

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amy Pole Her posted:

They’d already given Burrow the contract before his injury concerns popped up. Different situation entirely.

We’ll see what the do
Didnt Burrow get the contract last offseason? The season after Tua suffered mutliple concussions? Or am I misremembering?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My point was less about his injury history although that certainly plays a part in why I don’t want them to pay him huge dollars right now.

He’s had a season and a half under McDaniel and he’s regressed. He has to show that he can play at that 2022 when not concussed level for a full 17 games and not get worse every quarter of the season.

If he has another year where he starts out great and gets progressively worse franchise him and start looking for other options.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think unfortunately NFL QBs missing games is just par for the course now. The ironmen QBs are a thing of the past despite the NFL's efforts to protect the position. There are just too many games and the balance of power between passrushers and offensive linemen has become too unbalanced.

Not saying missing time isn't normal, but there's plenty of QBs proving the exception. Allen has started pretty much every game (after the rookie year). Mahomes hasn't started less than 16 games a season since being a starter. Goff missed like 3 games in 2021, but other than that has played pretty much every game with both the Rams and Lions. Russel Wilson missed 2-3 games per year with the Broncos, but started every game under the Seahawks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Didnt Burrow get the contract last offseason? The season after Tua suffered mutliple concussions? Or am I misremembering?

Oh wait now I’m worried I’m the one who is misremembering.

Wasn’t he extended the offseason before his entire season was ruined by the wrist?

Nov 6, 2002

Gully Foyle posted:

Not saying missing time isn't normal, but there's plenty of QBs proving the exception. Allen has started pretty much every game (after the rookie year). Mahomes hasn't started less than 16 games a season since being a starter. Goff missed like 3 games in 2021, but other than that has played pretty much every game with both the Rams and Lions. Russel Wilson missed 2-3 games per year with the Broncos, but started every game under the Seahawks.

That's only four QB's out of 32 - more really because you're looking over multiple years. They are literally the exception. And even for those exceptions there were exceptions.

The seasons are longer, the protection is weak and the game is still dangerous.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 20, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh wait now I’m worried I’m the one who is misremembering.

Wasn’t he extended the offseason before his entire season was ruined by the wrist?
Yeah Burrow signed his extension this past offseason, then his season got ruined by the wrist. Tua was healthy this whole past season, wasnt he? It was the year before where he got concussion after concussion.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah Burrow signed his extension this past offseason, then his season got ruined by the wrist. Tua was healthy this whole past season, wasnt he? It was the year before where he got concussion after concussion.

Yup yup that’s correct. My point with that being Im really happy his durability proved to exist (thank you Judo?) but similar to Burrow, I’d love to see if he can keep it up another season. More reason I’d rather wait it out.

The more I type it out the more i realize it’s unrealistic in the current nfl but hey it’s a forum and its may.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gully Foyle posted:

Allen has started pretty much every game (after the rookie year).
Two more games to hit 100 consecutive starts. It's the longest active streak and 18th longest all time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'd argue the nature of Tua's injuries has me more worried than the normal injury stuff. Like maybe judo was legit or maybe it was dumb luck that he was able to protect his brain last season, either way I'm just concerned about that dude's brain health in a way that's different from an elbow or leg injury

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pay him big bucks, negotiate on guaranteed money, other than injury guarantee.

He's played one season where he wasn't knocked out for multiple games. So, injury concerns, yeah, but also stayed upright behind an ever worsening line last year, so his getting worse as the season went on is understandable.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That's only four QB's out of 32 - more really because you're looking over multiple years. They are literally the exception. And even for those exceptions there were exceptions.

The seasons are longer, the protection is weak and the game is still dangerous.

I would also argue that Mahomes barely counts among those 4. Since he HAS had several serious injuries but it never affects him at all somehow :iiam: You can't really count on your QB having Wolverine-rear end mutant healing powers that make injuries not matter

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Parallax posted:

I'd argue the nature of Tua's injuries has me more worried than the normal injury stuff. Like maybe judo was legit or maybe it was dumb luck that he was able to protect his brain last season, either way I'm just concerned about that dude's brain health in a way that's different from an elbow or leg injury

Thats honestly what it is - well said. It really feels like we're a huge hit and concussion away from the dude needing to consider retirement.

If they'd meet you and keep the injury guaranteed lower than the playing time guarantees then yeah sign away. They clearly are going after a 5/250/200 guaranteed type deal.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/1792173482085630072

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Stallions, the Showboats, the Roughnecks!

Nov 6, 2002

Love to remember all the pages we spent discussing that guy's destination last year.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just pay Tua, so many qbs are terrible. If Lawrence can miss, anyone can miss.

That said, the line they've got currently will get him killed.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hell yea it's time for the best shapes

https://x.com/ByChrisMason/status/1792633777958588837

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Apparently Maye and the two rookie receivers stayed late working at OTAs today. We are so back baby

https://x.com/ChadGraff/status/1792620326204928465

Also Cole Strange’s knee is super hosed up to the point that Mayo calls him “month to month” which seems not ideal. This O line can’t exactly handle setbacks. At least it’s only May.

Nov 6, 2002

That was such a dumbass pick by Belichick. Honestly worse than Harry who you could argue looked the part.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Might actually be a blessing if Strange being out allows Sidy Sow, Mafi, Layden Robinson, or one of our other 11 interior guys to grab the spot and hold it down. I'd rather that than Strange be at LG and get injured or be terrible again by week 3

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Slow feet, slow release, too many extra steps. He's getting sacked 80 times this year

Imagine seeing this and going "That's our guy"

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1792616395043487746

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
poo poo he looks like Brady

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Slow feet, slow release, too many extra steps. He's getting sacked 80 times this year

Imagine seeing this and going "That's our guy"

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1792616395043487746

This MrLogan caliber one track gimmick posting is really doing its part in preemptively sucking the fun out of mocking Maye come the regular season.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol at joe milton's rep. when you put all your stats into arm strength and none into footwork.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
God forbidden a guy take his time getting familiar with a drill lol

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

fsif posted:

This MrLogan caliber one track gimmick posting is really doing its part in preemptively sucking the fun out of mocking Maye come the regular season.

The gently caress is MrLogan? Google results are not hitting. Spitting facts isn't a gimmick sadly, this kid SUCKS!

Also lol I just realized they gave him #10. That's one hell of an inside troll job by management

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Taking the bait to point out that 10 is just his college number.

Nov 6, 2002

Anything that erases Mac Jones is a good thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good thing: Chandler Jones

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The gently caress is MrLogan? Google results are not hitting. Spitting facts isn't a gimmick sadly, this kid SUCKS!

Also lol I just realized they gave him #10. That's one hell of an inside troll job by management

MrLogan is a gimmick poster in tff whose whole thing is that there's a massive conspiracy in the NFL to keep the Oakland Raiders down.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/SavageSports_/status/1792911977607545341

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Metapod posted:

God forbidden a guy take his time getting familiar with a drill lol
Yup, his performance in one drill in May shows he is clearly terrible.

mmmhmmm yes because players have no say in their number sure uh huh