Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mordja posted:

I just hate it when this Rag-wearing Bandit is impossible to kill and one shots you because there's a big, red number next to his name, while this other Rag-wearing Bandit will go down to two swings because the number is lower and green.

We could do everyone's favorite compromise: Level-scaling :v:

Edit: Which, thinking about it, is what Assassin's Creed Odyssey did? How'd you like that?

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Steam friend just gifted me Yakuza 4 Remastered :toot: I guess that means I have to play the entire series now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

400 bear asses is the same as the red key.

remove the levels and healthbars and give bears a 1/400 chance to drop the red keycard instead imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Life by You, the indie Sims-like, got delayed by the publisher Paradox (probably still reeling from how Cities 2 has imploded), with no new release date to announce

I Am Future put out a new content update today with a new rooftop to explore

MultiVersus is relaunching on May 28th, and adding Agent Smith, Jason Vorhees, and Banana Guard (adventure time)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm absolutely curious to know when in AC you had to grind out killing hundreds of animals for anything but the abundantly available crafting resources that weren't really a problem.
Oh no you have to do maybe 3 or 4 10 minute long side quests to eke out the last bits of XP to progress the story! :gonk:
I'd be bored to death just following the main questline for recent AC games, it's nice to break things up by doing other stuff in between missions.

Go from point A directly to point Z, gently caress all that extra story telling.

You guys must've hated Witcher 3 with all that side content. :rolleyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

You guys must've hated Witcher 3 with all that side content. :rolleyes:

The difference is that Witcher 3 was made by experienced people passionate for their work and is full of actual interesting content and whatever un-interesting content there is, doesn't gate you from progressing the game. At no point does the game stop you because you haven't found enough trash chests or places of power.

Meanwhile Ubisoft games are all made by newly graduated chaff siphoned from their Ubi Schools to replace the last batch of chaff that god burned out on the last lovely project, and they neither know any better nor are give any time to do anything other than copy every other Ubisoft game with hundreds of lovely outposts and tower climbing that will all start blurring together after a couple of hours.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean to an extent all games do it, and the point where you go 'wait... wait this is bullshit' is going to be different for everyone. Like high-level Oblivion enemies wearing glass armour all of a sudden really felt out of place, where 'the same bandit in low level gear but just inexplicably harder to kill' probably wouldn't have felt so jarring.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

People complain about stuff like Elder Scrolls leveling the enemies to match the players level making everything feel bland and meaningless, so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yes, Bethesda is in fact about as incompetent at making good games as Ubisoft.

Baxate posted:

People complain about stuff like Elder Scrolls leveling the enemies to match the players level making everything feel bland and meaningless, so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The "middle" is a combat system that makes it possible and interesting to fight enemies that are both stronger and weaker than you are, but of course neither Ubisoft nor Bethesda are capable of doing that.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 20, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

The difference is that Witcher 3 was made by experienced people passionate for their work and is full of actual interesting content and whatever un-interesting content there is, doesn't gate you from progressing the game. At no point does the game stop you because you haven't found enough trash chests or places of power.

Meanwhile Ubisoft games are all made by newly graduated chaff siphoned from their Ubi Schools to replace the last batch of chaff that god burned out on the last lovely project, and they neither know any better nor are give any time to do anything other than copy every other Ubisoft game with hundreds of lovely outposts and tower climbing that will all start blurring together after a couple of hours.

I feel like you're arguing about imaginary Ubisoft games that exist in your head. I've had the misfortune of playing a bunch and they never actually gate you off from doing things except things that require you to advance the plot. You can go into higher level areas, it's just harder, which is true in Witcher 3 too.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Ehhh CD PROJEKT RED isn’t some workers’ paradise either. Witcher 3 had its own massive amount of crunch, but to good result. They tried it again with Cyberpunk and it caught up with them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baxate posted:

Ehhh CD PROJEKT RED isn’t some workers’ paradise either. Witcher 3 had its own massive amount of crunch, but to good result. They tried it again with Cyberpunk and it caught up with them

I don't think nor said that they were. It's just that they (at least prior to Cyberpunk) didn't have as much of a turn-over rate as Ubisoft, meaning that they had generally much more experienced staff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Xenoblade X uses levels to create a sense of an ecosystem that isn’t just based on the player’s progression. You’ll find plenty of small, lower level enemies in the final region of the game, but also some high level ones in the opening area (they’re huge but placid diplodocus-type beasts so they’ll leave you alone if you don’t bother them).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

remove the levels and healthbars and give bears a 1/400 chance to drop the red keycard instead imo

Seems unfair that someone might get the key randomly on the first kill. Should make it 1/400th of a key per kill.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

:jerkbag:

That game had hardly any variety to its side missions either, whole lot of using your detective vision to follow tracks and being told a nice story in the interim and the ending with a tough fight sometimes or a dialogue choice.

If you skip the side content you'll usually miss out on good crafting resources, some good loot, ability points, and you'll be missing some of the best stories in the game, so you do yourself a huge disservice, not to mention there's actual level requirements so if you don't meet that req then you'll get your rear end beat much like in Origins.

But hey, keep that jaded cynical goon attitude going and you'll probably never find fun in any games ever again cause after all video games only exist to waste your time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Xenoblade X uses levels to create a sense of an ecosystem that isn’t just based on the player’s progression. You’ll find plenty of small, lower level enemies in the final region of the game, but also some high level ones in the opening area (they’re huge but placid diplodocus-type beasts so they’ll leave you alone if you don’t bother them).

All the Xenoblade games do this and it owns.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
[Super Mario Bros]
[World 1-2]

Why is the game level gating me from fighting Bowser?!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that is low level posting

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i didn’t like witcher 3 very much gameplay wise but i thought the side quests were better written so as to be generally more compelling than anything ubisoft did. bethesda sucks. i wish geralt was actually the badass witcher everyone thinks he is from the start and the only stat poo poo you had to worry about ever was bringing the right tools to each fight. i also wish devil may cry and similar games didn’t gate basic bread and butter stuff behind purchases either - im cool with weapons being unlocked by boss fights though. progression systems just do not fit many games they’re attached to. and yeah i get it in the dmc case for slowly introducing new players to a character’s moveset but unlocking stinger for the fifth time gets old and nero is straight up rear end if you don’t have the exceed gauge upgrades

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I agree that in a lot of games numbers go up doesn't really work. I really enjoyed The Witcher 3, but it would have been a way better game if advancement was like in the Arkham games where you just unlock more tools as the game goes on and maybe a cool rear end sword or another with a special power.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We've seen Assassin's Creed but Witcher and we'll see Assassin's Creed but Soulslike eventually, I guarantee it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I did all the sidequests I found in witcher 3 even after they had overleveled me to the point that they weren’t giving me any material benefit anymore just because they had good stories worth seeing.

it took me 100 hours to hit the credits in that game and I enjoyed all of it, while one of the most common takes I’ve heard about that viking asscreed is “gently caress, this game is going to take 100 whole hours to finish, I’m not doing this poo poo.” You can have an unrewarding progression model if the content itself is inherently interesting and doesn’t feel like repetitive filler, but if the whole game feels like junk food then you really notice it as soon as the number-go-up isn’t tuned perfectly enough to keep you distracted

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Megazver posted:

We've seen Assassin's Creed but Witcher and we'll see Assassin's Creed but Soulslike eventually, I guarantee it

rear end Souls

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dark rear end

e: rear end Ring

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Dark rear end

Buttborne

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait which rear end creed was like the witcher

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deakul posted:

:jerkbag:

That game had hardly any variety to its side missions either

you’re insane

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Shadows Die Twice (unless they purchased the double xp booster)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hwurmp posted:

Wasn't this something being tossed around when Dark Souls was in the planning phase? Like it was originally going to be called "Dark Ring" and the idea was that humanity was Poop From A Butt, and the idea was that the sun and the dark sun formed the opposite ends of a spectrum from divine to flesh, and also buttholes?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought Valhalla was their attempt at turning their game into more of a dark souls thing. Granted i only played the game for a couple hours but the combat felt to me like they were trying to straddle that line and had gotten real far from the original feel of AC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm still waiting for that one to pop up in a bundle before I play it. I think it's gonna happen in a year or two.

Awesome! posted:

I feel Origins (and later Odyssey by proxy) was heavily Witcher 3-inspired.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 20, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Awesome! posted:

Ghost of tsushima

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If anyone is looking for Stardew Valley but in space, Little-Known Galaxy just came out and it i exactly that!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2521600/LittleKnown_Galaxy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWE6eBt9Qyc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Harminoff posted:

If anyone is looking for Stardew Valley but in space, Little-Known Galaxy just came out and it i exactly that!

Looks neat, a friend of mine sent me a link to this the other week but I just assumed it'd be in early access hell for years. Surprised to see it's just out out now.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

kazil posted:

rear end Souls

you have to say it out loud, but this is the best one

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oxxidation posted:

you’re insane

Nah, we're boiling things down to their basics to manufacture outrage.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
"Ubisoft devs are literally just worthless garbage" is sure a take

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

v1ld posted:

I would skip DS1. 2 is where the game became really good. I would also skip 3 which didn't feel like a game in the same genre as 2.
You need DS1 though to play Ultima V: Lazarus though!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

v1ld posted:

I would skip DS1. 2 is where the game became really good. I would also skip 3 which didn't feel like a game in the same genre as 2.

Finally someone who understands Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Harminoff posted:

This is generic to off-putting. Half the appeal of Stardew is it's pleasant to look at, and this is gray and gutless. How is this getting attention over a lot of other Stardew likes?