Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Oh he was at this particular show too and he did that beer in hand as well. Usually a bottle.

I’m disappointed that there aren’t more albums with Kurt Dahle drumming on because his drums on Twin Cinema are just so good. Bleeding Heart Show and Stacked Crooked especially.

Oh hell yeah. Those fills and sheer energy is burned into my brain. Classic poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Excited to see them in rva. Realized I've seen them roughly 10 and 20 years ago, and my own mortality flashed before my eyes.

Welp, sold out before I could log on. If any rva peeps have an extra or two, would love to know .

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shageletic posted:

Oh hell yeah. Those fills and sheer energy is burned into my brain. Classic poo poo.

Yeah the outro for stacked crooked, gawd I love it so much. Dude was in a lot of stuff in the late 90s/early 00s cancon (limblifter, age of electric) but TC is definitely his magnum opus.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
of Montreal’s new album is out today.

Pitchfork would probably give it a 5.4.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

without even listening to it ill give it a 5.4

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I'll give it a 5.14

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I have a masculine urge to record a parody of The Feminine Urge sung in the POV of a serial killer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Creature posted:

of Montreal’s new album is out today.

Pitchfork would probably give it a 5.4.

I was talking with a friend today about how we didn't care for the latest Janelle Monae album from last year (?), how it sounded so generic, like anyone could have put it out. Which got me thinking about how the only time I ever saw her live was back in 2010 when she toured with Of Montreal. Janelle was definitely the lesser known act, and apparently there was a lot of drama behind the scenes. But she was just so incredible live.

That was my third time seeing Of Montreal, and the first two times were just so incredible, it was shocking to see how bad they were. They were touring I think for maybe False Priest? Not a great album, not terrible, but they had these giant papier mache goldfish on stage doing interpretive dance, and it was weird. I kind of lost all interest in Of Montreal after that, although Hissing Fauna is still a wonderful album.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Has anyone seen LCD on this tour so far?

Seeing them in Chicago Saturday. Setlists are looking pretty rad.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If only it wasn't at the Aragon...

ps I love Amy Taylor lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I went to the Just Like Heaven festival at the Rose Bowl this weekend, I realized it was my first festival since Sasquatch 2007. I had an amazing time.

Since the lineup was mostly artists that were at their peak around 2005 to 2010, the crowd was also full of people who were also likely at their peak around 2005 to 2010. I didn't feel old, and everybody's fashion made sense to me.

It was bizarre, the first artists went on right at noon, but they didn't actually let anybody into the festival grounds until noon, so as we walked in, they were playing to an empty field. Felt bad for them. Also drink prices sucked, ranging from $15 to $30 depending on what you ordered, but also I'm old with a real job now, so I can afford it now.

We ended up seeing The Go! Team, CSS, Warpaint, Broken Social Scene, Washed Out, Alvvays, Passion Pit, Death Cab for Cutie, and Phoenix (who were joined by Ezra Koenig for a few songs). We ended up leaving early before War on Drugs and Postal Service because we were flat out exhausted after standing in the sun all day. But everybody was great. Some of the bands were currently on tour, others it seems like they came out of retirement to play just this festival. CSS said it might be their last show ever. Phoenix announced that they were going home to record a new album.

Definitely something I'll want to check out again in the future if they continue with the elder millennial nostalgia vibes.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
No Tegan and Sara?

My wife loves their show High School, but didn't know any of their songs. I played her a couple. She still only likes the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kramdar posted:

No Tegan and Sara?

My wife loves their show High School, but didn't know any of their songs. I played her a couple. She still only likes the show.

They were on at the same time as Broken Social Scene and Washed Out

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im a Big Thief fan but apparently not big enough. Had never heard a-sides and WHAT A SONG this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMmf4NhA5o

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

If only it wasn't at the Aragon...

ps I love Amy Taylor lol

The venue is extremely unfortunate. I guess if you're playing 4 nights in a row your options are limited but yeah. But I'm glad the setlist is looking like a good dance party for us white mid 30's folks. The last few times I've seen them were at festivals, so even if it's the Aragon will be nice to see them at a club again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/sufjan-stevens-broadway-illinoise-cast-album-1235689145/

The cast album for the Tony nominated Illinoise musical will be released next week. The first two tracks, "Predatory Wasp of the Palisades," and "Chicago (Reprise)" have been released digitally.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
That rendition of Chicago sounds heavily influenced by the “adult contemporary” version from The Avalanche, which is my favorite

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big City Drinkin posted:

That rendition of Chicago sounds heavily influenced by the “adult contemporary” version from The Avalanche, which is my favorite

Its the reprise, which does seem to be influenced by the version on The Avalanche. But the show also features a normal version of Chicago that is featured in many of the trailers for the show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

Has anyone seen LCD on this tour so far?

Seeing them in Chicago Saturday. Setlists are looking pretty rad.

Saw their residency in Bk a couple mths ago. They are indeed rad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I went to the Just Like Heaven festival at the Rose Bowl this weekend, I realized it was my first festival since Sasquatch 2007. I had an amazing time.

Since the lineup was mostly artists that were at their peak around 2005 to 2010, the crowd was also full of people who were also likely at their peak around 2005 to 2010. I didn't feel old, and everybody's fashion made sense to me.

It was bizarre, the first artists went on right at noon, but they didn't actually let anybody into the festival grounds until noon, so as we walked in, they were playing to an empty field. Felt bad for them. Also drink prices sucked, ranging from $15 to $30 depending on what you ordered, but also I'm old with a real job now, so I can afford it now.

We ended up seeing The Go! Team, CSS, Warpaint, Broken Social Scene, Washed Out, Alvvays, Passion Pit, Death Cab for Cutie, and Phoenix (who were joined by Ezra Koenig for a few songs). We ended up leaving early before War on Drugs and Postal Service because we were flat out exhausted after standing in the sun all day. But everybody was great. Some of the bands were currently on tour, others it seems like they came out of retirement to play just this festival. CSS said it might be their last show ever. Phoenix announced that they were going home to record a new album.

Definitely something I'll want to check out again in the future if they continue with the elder millennial nostalgia vibes.

Yeah this was rhe festival of the year for me. I just couldn't justify the orice/tkt/hotel for it. drat shame esp for CSS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3eUXdTYsM

Chelsea Wolfe has such a great voice

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Saw their residency in Bk a couple mths ago. They are indeed rad.

Hell yeah let's jam

Is there a better feeling than everyone singing All My Friends? Hard to say

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 22, 2024

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Youtube just dealt me a random recommendation with like only a few hundred views and I'm kinda liking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvhx9ghrXos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo6blXC6W8s

Big shutin weirdo theater kid energy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Big City Drinkin posted:

I’m completely stoked to finally see Slow Pulp in November. I caught the last ~2 songs of their set when they opened for Alvvays a couple years ago (it was a late show and the line to get in wrapped around the block). Then last October I had tickets to see them on a Sunday night but ended up having an interview the next morning, so I made the painful decision to opt out. I love this band and it’s a long time coming.

What I’m most excited about though is seeing Waxahatchee down in Charlottesville this September. Our seats are center stage, row 4 and I’m not sure how to prepare for the experience. She’s written some songs that are very meaningful to me and my fiancée (who will be my wife then!).

Woah we might be at the same shows this year. I'm going to the Waxahatchee show in Vienna, VA. Congrats on the marriage!

I think we're pretty far back at the Waxahatchee show. A far cry from when I saw her 10 years ago this year at the Ukrainian Cultural Center in LA and could just go right up to the stage. I'm not the most perceptive person, but at the time I could tell she was going through it at that show and when the stuff about her relationships and substance issues came out later in the decade, it made a lot of sense. She toured like every year so I would see her about every year and the change over time was so great to see.

Nihonniboku posted:

I moved out of the area a month ago otherwise I would have gone. I saw Postal Service/DCC last year at the bowl and I was blown away. The whole place chanting "everything will change" feels like church is supposed to feel.

I checked the setlist and my FOMO was mitigated because Broken Social Scene didn't play Swimmers. I cried just watching someone's recording of it from like 2009.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 24, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Trig Discipline posted:

Youtube just dealt me a random recommendation with like only a few hundred views and I'm kinda liking it.

Wrap it up, no-one's ever gonna out-indie this.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wrap it up, no-one's ever gonna out-indie this.

Absolutely raised in a lab on a drip feed of Sufjan, Danielson, and Ben Folds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You know what, I'll allow it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

New DIIV album is out and it's good. Sleepy, jaded shoegaze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTjiyaMUzI0

Magdalena Bay are releasing something this week too.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 24, 2024

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Nihonniboku posted:

I was talking with a friend today about how we didn't care for the latest Janelle Monae album from last year (?), how it sounded so generic, like anyone could have put it out. Which got me thinking about how the only time I ever saw her live was back in 2010 when she toured with Of Montreal. Janelle was definitely the lesser known act, and apparently there was a lot of drama behind the scenes. But she was just so incredible live.

That was my third time seeing Of Montreal, and the first two times were just so incredible, it was shocking to see how bad they were. They were touring I think for maybe False Priest? Not a great album, not terrible, but they had these giant papier mache goldfish on stage doing interpretive dance, and it was weird. I kind of lost all interest in Of Montreal after that, although Hissing Fauna is still a wonderful album.

When I was younger, I considered of Montreal one of my favourite bands. That 3 album run of Satanic Panic, Sunlandic, and Hissing Fauna, was top tier. These three albums are still great when I have revisited them. But, it's also remarkable how quickly I stopped listening to their new albums. Looking at their discography, I tried with the three after that, and haven't listened to any of the 7-8 after that.

I saw them live later than you, and have absolutely no memory of seeing them. So it wasn't memorable. Or I have a bad memory. Take your pick.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well i must say i also listened to the Of Montreal album and i dont remember a single bit of it. not like i was distracted while listening, i sat on the couch and sketched. but nothing got me. and being completely fair to them i think there was a cool audio direction taken by their recent I Feel Safe With You Trash. especially individually Aries Equals Good Trash. real trashy. and i think the first four songs on Ur Fun are actually pretty good. then the album goes to hell but whatever.

point is each album i listen to by Of Montreal there always still seems like a spark of something, like if the band gave enough a poo poo they could really hone in on their sound, but each release they don't really. one or a few good songs if any. and this time, there's nothing. goddamn it's like they just don't give a poo poo. like we know you can do better, clearly better than this. i could come around to the album but ahhhhh dont think so

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hey though if you want to hear some really good rear end Yard Act adjacent stuff (synthier) i present this obscure thing from last year that does not deserve to be so whatsoever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDJOh2jHd0

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

There seems to be very little electronic in this thread, so here's some electronic stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi31EdMAmmo

From: https://projectmooncircle.bandcamp.com/album/finest-ego-faces-series-vol-1

The label has some interesting stuff too.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Twin Cinema posted:

When I was younger, I considered of Montreal one of my favourite bands. That 3 album run of Satanic Panic, Sunlandic, and Hissing Fauna, was top tier. These three albums are still great when I have revisited them. But, it's also remarkable how quickly I stopped listening to their new albums. Looking at their discography, I tried with the three after that, and haven't listened to any of the 7-8 after that.

I saw them live later than you, and have absolutely no memory of seeing them. So it wasn't memorable. Or I have a bad memory. Take your pick.

cumpantry posted:

well i must say i also listened to the Of Montreal album and i dont remember a single bit of it. not like i was distracted while listening, i sat on the couch and sketched. but nothing got me. and being completely fair to them i think there was a cool audio direction taken by their recent I Feel Safe With You Trash. especially individually Aries Equals Good Trash. real trashy. and i think the first four songs on Ur Fun are actually pretty good. then the album goes to hell but whatever.

point is each album i listen to by Of Montreal there always still seems like a spark of something, like if the band gave enough a poo poo they could really hone in on their sound, but each release they don't really. one or a few good songs if any. and this time, there's nothing. goddamn it's like they just don't give a poo poo. like we know you can do better, clearly better than this. i could come around to the album but ahhhhh dont think so

of Montreal were my favourite band in the world from roughly 2007 through to 2016. For me, Satanic Panic through to Lousy with Sylvianbriar are brilliant. Hissing Fauna and False Priest were the peak. But after that, especially from Ur Fun onwards, I feel like they’re not making music for me anymore.

Kevin can still write a pop song. Soporific Cell off the latest album is proof of that. But the rest of the music is so cluttered and messy and the vocals so dull that I tune out almost immediately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trig Discipline posted:

I did some research (google) and this is the daughter of Fred Mascherino of Taking Back Sunday / Say Anything. I feel fukken old now. Songs still kinda slap though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Woah

https://x.com/scottheisel/status/1794381990671819179

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Dean Blunt just released a single with Noah Lennox on the vocals and, omg, the shoegaze guitars and boom bap beats have brought me back to the late 00s. I have found a leak for the latest panda bear single on ateaseweb.net and I cannot wait for his next album to disappoint me.

https://youtu.be/jSgfCpTiFZI?si=2e_N8bScWAZaXSbc

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 26, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Black Keys had some decent songs but I can't think I've thought about the in a decade.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Aramoro posted:

Black Keys had some decent songs but I can't think I've thought about the in a decade.

They resorted to writing the Home Depot theme over and over again after El Camino.

Fastest road to irrelevancy.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

LCD Soundsystem still has the juice. Great show, and no assholes in the crowd.

Aragon still sucks but that's as good as it's gonna get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

whens their next loving album!!! their last one was their best keep going!!!!!