Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzatime

A year ago I posted about the development of this game called Skullz.

Now I'm working on the sequel. I'd just be postin a bit about it here and there in this thread.

Follow me on Twitter for like super frequent updates. I'm posting about the development there daily.

If you wanna help me out a bit with funding the development, you can:

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

In the meantime you can tell me which font you like better

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool with BYOB. Please, tell us more about the sequel you're working on. :munch:

Font #2

Pizzatime

The first game did everything it could to pretend it was an adventure game where your choices mattered, though none of them did. Surprisingly, people liked it anyway.
Regardless, the sequel is gonna be just like the original except without the pretending. I've already spent more time setting the stage for the sequel than I spent developing the original.

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
All the fonts seem quite noisy. There's a lot of lone pixels and abrupt diagonal jumps that draw the eye. 2 or 3, but ideally clean it up further and just leave a small hint of that round old-timey thing you're going for.

The skull kinda has the same prob. The raster effect threatens to overpower the small 1 pixel thin details.

then again, I'm just nitpicking. Prolly wiser to spend dev time elsewhere

The general vibe of the screenie seems cool. Dark + few colors = atmosphere. Is it like an adventure game with still photos for locations? e. ^^^ oh, haha :]

Pizzatime

Hey thanks, nice feedback. I'll work on the font some more, and I've been meaning to redesign the skull too, but I didn't get anywhere yet. Your feedback might go a long way at helping me find a good redesign that isn't all too different from the original.

The backgrounds are photos, yeah. I'm really not that good at drawing something from scratch, the skull is about the extend of my abilities, that's why I'm doing it that way. Though they'll all be animated in-game like this:

Here's a buncha them skullz, still need to tweak them all:

This one for example was way bigger originally, been trying to get them all to be roughly 30x40:

Pizzatime

Kinda narrowed it down. Left (small & minimal) or right (big & expressive)?

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
honestly I'm more into #3

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Pizzatime

same, trying to find a middle ground:

stuck trying to figure out how to change the line spacing, no dice on both font editor and framework.

mags

what are you using for dev? i might be able to poke around your code and see if i can find where the text is formatted

paul_soccer12 posted:

Pizzatime

Haxeflixel!

Oh man, just trying to describe the problem to you already made me almost be able to solve the issue.

The specific class I'm using for text is this one: https://github.com/HaxeFlixel/flixel-addons/blob/dev/flixel/addons/text/FlxTypeText.hx which is built upon this one as I understand it: https://github.com/domrein/Flixel-Haxe/blob/master/org/flixel/FlxText.hx

A suggestion was to use TextFormat, which I've been trying to do like this:

NewFormat = new TextFormat("assets/fonts/SkullzFontv1.ttf", 16, 0xF074d8f, false, false, false, null, null, "left", 0, 0, 0, 1);
Text1.textField.setTextFormat(NewFormat);
Text1.textField.defaultTextFormat = NewFormat;
trace(Text1.textField.getTextFormat());

With Text1 being a FlxTypeText, it didn't work. I'm guessing cause FlxTypeText somehow overwrites the format i'm declaring while doing it's thing.

With Text1 being a regular old FlxText, it's accepting the format and everything is working as I want it to. I'd just like to have the functionalities of FlxTypeText though, so maybe there could be some way to figure out what about FlxTypeText is leading to the TextFormat being ignored? I'll try and post this in the game dev thread as well. Thank you!

Pizzatime

Did obsess over the layout + add some cursors in the meantime.

Yeah, there's a word missing in that sentence.

mags

glad i could help :smug:

paul_soccer12 posted:

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Is it suposed to be hard to read? If not you should increase the font a little bit so the words don't blend together so much.

----------------

Pizzatime

it's not supposed to be hard to read but it's also not gonna get any bigger, that box is as much pixels as I have to work with.

Tried to clean it up a bunch from the first iteration to now, but there's always stuff like the h's and n's were it's the old readability vs. character tug of war:

The size of the game will be about 780x720 so it should be fine.

Pizzatime

Got pretty far with the layout of the textbox and stuff today, didn't really worry about the font anymore at all, also started recreating the stuff I had already done at some point, just better.
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkbCLNVyYrI

Also revamped my blog:

alnilam

hi pizza time

ty manifisto

Pizzatime

hey al nilam

Pizzatime

5 days later I solved the line spacing problem, finally. It's nice now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd6ppbKs4n8

mags

my wife and i think that it's legible and the spacing is good

paul_soccer12 posted:

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

hi pizza time

Piso Mojado

new blog looks goood!

Pizzatime

CAT BRUSH posted:

my wife and i think that it's legible and the spacing is good

finally I can move on

Pizzatime

Piso Mojado posted:

new blog looks goood!

awright, that's what I wanna hear!

Pizzatime

Was gonna call the game Two Skullz but when somebody was using that it sounded real silly. Today my woman suggested Skeletonz which I really like. Maybe Skullz'n'Skeletonz.

FreshCutFries

2kullz

mags

skeleton bridge crosser 6

paul_soccer12 posted:

Pizzatime

Zkull2

Pizzatime

CAT BRUSH posted:

skeleton bridge crosser 6

now I just need a bridge to cross, or 6 of them

City of Glompton

cool. I enjoyed skullz, gl with the follow up.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Pizzatime

yeah, thank you! I'm trying to give the dude a body

Pizzatime

Pizzatime

skulldude talking blinking glowing neon green and also having a highly overshaded body

actual size and game's default size.

mags

dare i say this should be your av while you dev this game because it is very appropriate for the season

paul_soccer12 posted:

Pizzatime

He does look pretty good in av size

mags

matches that gang tag too

paul_soccer12 posted:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

heck yeah the skulls game, get in here moola

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Pizzatime

forgot transparent gifs exist

mags

o poo poo

paul_soccer12 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

design's not final though, still need to figure out how to properly shade the head

• Locked thread