Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.fastcompany.com/3039887/under-fire

But pricing a smartphone was complicated. Bezos didn’t want a me-too device, and the margins a low-cost phone could garner would be minimal, even if it did manage to stand out in an ocean of cheap devices. The only solution, some inside the organization argued, was to differentiate the hardware enough to justify a higher price point and hope to go after some of Apple’s profits. But Apple is a ferocious competitor as well, whose dominance in high-end products was made possible by decades of rigorous R&D, a world-class design team, and its unrivaled approach to hardware and software. The idea that Amazon, a neophyte hardware maker whose CEO has shown no special affinity for design, could successfully attack Apple might seem quixotic.

Yet Bezos had profound reasons for preferring a top-of-the-line smartphone. Multiple sources indicate that the premium phone represented a "repositioning of the brand away from being so utilitarian and toward becoming more of a lifestyle brand like Apple," as the high-ranking Lab126 designer phrases it. Bezos expressed some of these sentiments himself in a memo he wrote years ago, entitled "Amazon.love." In the memo, first revealed by journalist Brad Stone in The Everything Store, Bezos describes his vision to transform Amazon into a brand such as Apple, Nike, or Disney, which are "widely loved by their customers, and are even perceived as cool." Brands like Walmart and Microsoft, he noted, are "unloved" and suffer as a result. He then listed the attributes that distinguished each set of companies: "Risk taking is cool. Thinking big is cool. The unexpected is cool. Close-following is not cool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

:firstpost:

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Take it to IYG noob.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nice capital letters in yospos

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

What makes the Fire Phone a particularly troubling adventure is that Amazon’s CEO seemingly lost track of the essential driver of his company’s brand. 'We can’t compete head to head with Apple,' says a high-level source at Lab126. 'There is a branding issue: Apple is premium, while our customers want a great product at a great price.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Amazon, the premium brand of selling you random poo poo.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

Bezos didn’t want a me-too device

yes because trying to release that in tyool 2014 wasn't me-too at all, no sir

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

As Carr tells it, the Fire Phone succumbed to misplaced ambitions and micromanagement from Bezos. Amazon's strength has been value and convenience, but Bezos wanted the Fire Phone to stake out new territory for the company, allowing it to compete with "cool" brands like Apple. As a result, he obsessively monitored the project. "Even the very smallest decisions needed to go through him," one Amazon employee told Carr. By the end, the team had given up building a phone for consumers and shifted building one that would satisfy Bezos's ambitions.

The article describes Bezos' singular focus on features that could set the Fire Phone apart, taking it out of the realm of entry-level phones and into competition with high-end brands. According to Carr, the team considered hands-free interaction systems and a force-sensitive grip as ways to set the phone apart, but ultimately settled on the Fire Phone's much-criticized dynamic perspective feature, which allowed the phone to track a user's face and change perspective depending on the angle of viewing. In the end, the system drove up costs without providing any real utility to the end customer, entirely driven by Bezos. "He had this childlike excitement about the feature and no one could understand why," another insider told FastCo, describing dynamic perspective. "Whenever anyone asked why we were doing this, the answer was, ‘Because Jeff wants it.' No one thought the feature justified the cost to the project. No one. Absolutely no one."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

boy this weird thing happens when all these tech ceos try to be steve jobs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

boy this weird thing happens when all these tech ceos try to be steve jobs

uss timphone 6+ is scheduled for sea trials next month

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

maniacdevnull posted:

uss timphone 6+ is scheduled for sea trials next month

i really hope they make an iphone 5 sized iphone 7

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

can i hack windows 7 phone 7 to run on an iphone 7

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i really hope they make an iphone 5 sized iphone 7

:ssh: iphone 6s mini may be a thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Iphone 6s minus

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

graph posted:

do you have any serious sources? my verizon contract is up in march and i really don't want to get a hugephone if i can wait until september and get a normal human sized phone

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

lol

making a bunch of skus in all kinds of sizes, and a smartwatch. apple is literally a fast-follow for samsung. can't wait for the applefridge announcement at macworld.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

lol

making a bunch of skus in all kinds of sizes, and a smartwatch. apple is literally a fast-follow for samsung. can't wait for the applefridge announcement at macworld.

the watch is going to be like the ipad

crazy sales for the first few years, then level off and fall by the wayside when people realize it's expensive and not that useful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

being a control freak only works if you have good taste and even a cursory glance at any given amazon product page [another thing bezos supposedly likes to micromanage] demonstrates his taste level

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk the ipad is actually useful as a device to browse the web very slowly whilst watching tv. or to look up something in imdb.app.

iwatch has no purpose.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

do you have any serious sources

lips are looser now that stebe (pbuh) is gone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

being a control freak only works if you have good taste and even a cursory glance at any given amazon product page [another thing bezos supposedly likes to micromanage] demonstrates his taste level

amazon's website is so amazingly bad and the way they curate products is insane. its amazing they sell anything at all

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

cremnob posted:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3039887/under-fire

But pricing a smartphone was complicated. Bezos didn’t want a me-too device, and the margins a low-cost phone could garner would be minimal, even if it did manage to stand out in an ocean of cheap devices. The only solution, some inside the organization argued, was to differentiate the hardware enough to justify a higher price point and hope to go after some of Apple’s profits. But Apple is a ferocious competitor as well, whose dominance in high-end products was made possible by decades of rigorous R&D, a world-class design team, and its unrivaled approach to hardware and software. The idea that Amazon, a neophyte hardware maker whose CEO has shown no special affinity for design, could successfully attack Apple might seem quixotic.

Yet Bezos had profound reasons for preferring a top-of-the-line smartphone. Multiple sources indicate that the premium phone represented a "repositioning of the brand away from being so utilitarian and toward becoming more of a lifestyle brand like Apple," as the high-ranking Lab126 designer phrases it. Bezos expressed some of these sentiments himself in a memo he wrote years ago, entitled "Amazon.love." In the memo, first revealed by journalist Brad Stone in The Everything Store, Bezos describes his vision to transform Amazon into a brand such as Apple, Nike, or Disney, which are "widely loved by their customers, and are even perceived as cool." Brands like Walmart and Microsoft, he noted, are "unloved" and suffer as a result. He then listed the attributes that distinguished each set of companies: "Risk taking is cool. Thinking big is cool. The unexpected is cool. Close-following is not cool."

"profound"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

idk the ipad is actually useful as a device to browse the web very slowly whilst watching tv. or to look up something in imdb.app.

iwatch has no purpose.

same except netflix while i wash dishes or do other chores

graph posted:

lips are looser now that stebe (pbuh) is gone

i meant an article or something, but lol at "doubling down on secrecy"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-09-18/news/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917_1_warehouse-workers-heat-stress-brutal-heat

sorry about your brand, buddy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i meant an article or something

oh hell no

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

Bezos describes his vision to transform Amazon into a brand such as Apple, Nike, or Disney, which are "widely loved by their customers, and are even perceived as cool." Brands like Walmart and Microsoft, he noted, are "unloved" and suffer as a result.

any time i have to deal with amazon customer service i am legit shocked at how good it is

like i get off the phone with Asus because my router broke and i can tell the person hates their job, hates me, and then wants me to pay return shipping on a $200 router that's 3 months old

then i call amazon because my fireTV remote broke and the people sound genuinely happy (no clue if this is true) and holy poo poo this must have been what customer service was like in the 1950s at Gimbels

The Management posted:

but ultimately settled on the Fire Phone's much-criticized dynamic perspective feature, which allowed the phone to track a user's face and change perspective depending on the angle of viewing. In the end, the system drove up costs without providing any real utility to the end customer, entirely driven by Bezos. "He had this childlike excitement about the feature and no one could understand why," another insider told FastCo, describing dynamic perspective. "Whenever anyone asked why we were doing this, the answer was, ‘Because Jeff wants it.' No one thought the feature justified the cost to the project. No one. Absolutely no one."

lol

didn't iOS7 introduce this with just the software update? the one everyone turned off because it made them "nauseous" or whatever? why did that require special hardware for the fire phone?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
yay cremnob is back

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

black man 3 posted:

Take it to IYG noob.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

yay cremnob is back

much like the mcrib he only posts when pork futures go below a certain threshold

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
cromnib

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
crambob

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do you have any serious sources? my verizon contract is up in march and i really don't want to get a hugephone if i can wait until september and get a normal human sized phone

it would make sense as its what theyve always done

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

amazon's website is so amazingly bad and the way they curate products is insane. its amazing they sell anything at all

ya

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bozo phone now $189 (unlocked, no contact) on Amazon with a year of prime included.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a thousand deaths are not enough for bezos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

can you wipe away the terrible amazonness and make one just a standard anroid phone?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

mishaq posted:

can you wipe away the terrible amazonness and make one just a standard anroid phone?

i also have this question

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

bump

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

does gary busey have one of these things too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Captain Foo posted:

does gary busey have one of these things too

no its a conch shell

• Locked thread