Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://realestate.usnews.com/places/iowa/des-moines

A Clear Authority posted:

The capital of this so-called flyover state may not top your to-visit list, but Des Moines is a great place to live and raise a family. Elegant Colonial and Tudor-style homes built in the early 1900s hide in quiet neighborhoods minutes from buzzy downtown, where lofts and condos draw the millennial crowd. Many families with kids flock to the suburbs where new housing developments continually pop up.

And there's plenty to do and see in Des Moines. Cultural events and festivals draw all ages to the downtown area. One-of-a-kind shops, locally owned restaurants and hip bars enliven entertainment districts. And plenty of bike trails and parks (and even a few lakes) provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.

The metro area of more than 600,000 has a small-town, know-your-neighbor feel to it. It's a place where you'll bump into people you know at the grocery store and get invited to backyard barbecues. Newcomers, take note: The people of Des Moines are some of the nicest you'll ever meet.
Rankings

U.S. News analyzed 100 metro areas in the United States to find the best places to live based on quality of life and the job market in each metro area, as well as the value of living there and people's desire to live there. Des Moines ranks as #9 with an overall score of 7.1 out of 10.

Number 9 out of how many? A TOP TEN CITY nearly equal to mega cities like Boston, Seattle, and Colorado Springs. Short commutes, good jobs, high education, and a well built infrastructure make this city a POWER HOUSE when it comes to quality of life in America. All made affordable and accessible because this is a city that knows how to plan and manage itself. So, come on down, pull up a chair, have a nice Steak De Burgo and Exile Ruthie lager, and enjoy the culture in this Gem of a city. BEST IN THE MIDWEST! And no its alright, Jastiger will pay.

:toxx: Jastiger will buy a beer for any goon that comes to Des Moines to share in this bad rear end city.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
nobody gives a gently caress about des moines

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine going to Iowa and Jastiger is so happy someone took him up on his offer lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Opened the list and saw a Texas city was number 1 and wasn't surprised.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Des Moines never won a first time you retarded idiot fucker.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I think op is trying to convince himself that his retarded town is good and he's not retarded for staying there

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Des Moines is a shithole

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Des Moines isn't even a top ten Midwestern city.

Also Fayetteville is #5 on that list so it's bullshit. Nobody wants to live in Arkansas.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Opened the list and saw a Texas city was number 1 and wasn't surprised.

Oklahoma City at 36th or something, NYC in the 80s :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They had very scientific and well researched charts and graphs showing that Des Moines is actually cool and good. I notice that none of your cities are even top 20 just lol if you tryna talk poo poo on Des Moines and not on this list.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nobody wants to live in nyc, its' true, there's only people who have to live in nyc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am Jastiger, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Des Moines, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Des Moines can become your city as well.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jastiger posted:

They had very scientific and well researched charts and graphs showing that Des Moines is actually cool and good. I notice that none of your cities are even top 20 just lol if you tryna talk poo poo on Des Moines and not on this list.

The Twin Cities, the best metro area in the Midwest, is #17 on your dumb list.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Infidel Castro posted:

The Twin Cities, the best metro area in the Midwest, is #17 on your dumb list.

Its bigger and thats about it. Also more expensive and more crowded. So, 17 it goes.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

I prefer Ottumwa. If you get up on the hill, past all the meth houses it's a pretty little place.

Muscatine is nice too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

handbandit posted:

I prefer Ottumwa. If you get up on the hill, past all the meth houses it's a pretty little place.

Muscatine is nice too.

Literally the worst.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Based on what he sees everyday walking around Des Moines, Jastiger thinks Lena Dunham is the most beautiful woman on Earth. That metric alone tells you everything you need to know about the city of Des Moines, Iowa.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

"We're not worth actively avoiding in case you lose your job and have to downgrade, so keep us down there on your list somewhere I guess"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's funny that half the cities that rank higher than des moines are in the south

kinda makes you think

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

nobody wants to live in nyc, its' true, there's only people who have to live in nyc

Oklahoma City on the other hand

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oklahoma City on the other hand

okc should be glassed

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Do y'all refer to the one Iowa black dude as 'our black guy' because that sounds weird even if it's meant with esprit de corps

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Jastiger posted:

http://realestate.usnews.com/places/iowa/des-moines

Number 9 out of how many? A TOP TEN CITY nearly equal to mega cities like Boston, Seattle, and Colorado Springs. Short commutes, good jobs, high education, and a well built infrastructure make this city a POWER HOUSE when it comes to quality of life in America. All made affordable and accessible because this is a city that knows how to plan and manage itself. So, come on down, pull up a chair, have a nice Steak De Burgo and Exile Ruthie lager, and enjoy the culture in this Gem of a city. BEST IN THE MIDWEST! And no its alright, Jastiger will pay.

:toxx: Jastiger will buy a beer for any goon that comes to Des Moines to share in this bad rear end city.

Mega city Seattle? drat dude have you never left the loving shithole state you're from? :ughh:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Salt lake city as top 10? Bullshit list.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deki posted:

Salt lake city as top 10? Bullshit list.

I saw that too

Salt Lake is a loving hell hole joke of a town.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Salt Lake is paradise if you're the type that's into mini-golf and family fun centers. In other words, hell to most people other than mormon families and pedophiles.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Places To Live As Ranked By Racist White Midwesterners

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I love these threads.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Also #3 on the list, San Jose, I can't think of a single reason you would ever want to live there and pay the insane costs of living (and get nothing in return).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

Mega city Seattle? drat dude have you never left the loving shithole state you're from? :ughh:

Seattle is like top 15 populated city in the US, idiot.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
where is des moines?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jastiger posted:

The only mega cities in the US are New York, LA, and maybe Chicago.

Of course you think Colorado Springs (80th largest metro area) is also a mega city so who the gently caress knows what's wrong with you.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2017

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Jastiger posted:

A mega city typically describe a city with 10,000,000+. Sorry about your brain damage. :smuggo:

Seattle's population isn't even 3/4th of one million.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Infidel Castro posted:

The only mega cities in the US are New York, LA, and maybe Chicago.

Of course you think Colorado Springs (80th largest metro area) is also a mega city so who the gently caress knows what's wrong with you.

I didn't say Colorado Springs was mega city in regard to size. Way to misread a post. Probably from the South with that kind of reading comprehension.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jastiger posted:

Number 9 out of how many? A TOP TEN CITY nearly equal to mega cities like Boston, Seattle, and Colorado Springs.

Jastiger posted:

I didn't say Colorado Springs was mega city in regard to size. Way to misread a post. Probably from the South with that kind of reading comprehension.

Oh?

Also I live in metro Milwaukee, or as you might call it, "the big city."

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Infidel Castro posted:

Oh?

Also I live in metro Milwaukee, or as you might call it, "the big city."

OP dumb as hell

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wikipedia posted:

Located at the center of North America and far removed from large bodies of water, the Des Moines area has a hot summer type humid continental climate (Köppen Dfa), with hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. Summer temperatures can often climb into the 90 °F (32 °C) range, occasionally reaching 100 °F (38 °C). Humidity can be high in spring and summer, with frequent afternoon thunderstorms. Fall brings pleasant temperatures and colorful fall foliage. Winters vary from moderately cold to bitterly cold, with low temperatures venturing below 0 °F (−18 °C) quite often. Snowfall averages 35.3 inches (90 cm) per season, and annual precipitation averages 36.0 inches (914 mm), with a peak in the warmer months. Winters are slightly colder than Chicago but still warmer than Minneapolis, with summer temperatures being very similar between the Upper Midwest metropolitan areas.

Your city has an absolute poo poo climate. Sorry, but no way in hell does that sound like an appealing place.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm gonna come visit because you won't let me in. Enjoy the TOXX!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This place surrounded by gently caress-all but corn? with a culture that lends itself to bland, sugar heavy diets? With no culture to speak of aside from the mockery of living made by the degenerate descendants of German settlers? That's colder than chicago in the winter? It's actually a good place to live lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your city has an absolute poo poo climate. Sorry, but no way in hell does that sound like an appealing place.

Same as Kansas as far as I can tell.

• Locked thread