Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Shaggar posted:

never because apple requires cable makers buy a chip to authenticate the cable.

why can't china just fab the chip too waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be funny if they made the chip just as expensive to produce as it is to buy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
that chip actually does do some amazing signal processing voodoo in order to get that 10 gigabit transfer rate.

no you don't need it to put 1A @ 5v across two pins.

Elder Postsman posted:

wait what's this now

http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-RT1000201207USC-RT1000201207USCO/dp/B001JT1EOW/

has a bunch of names but basically it's not sticky, you just stretch it out to like 3 times its size and wrap it tightly and it fuses to itself and makes a silicone sleeve around whatever you put it on.. you can repair plumbing with it and it'll last for years. great stuff.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

what do you mean four of them? apple hardware is perfect. they don't make stuff that breaks. certainly not repeatedly in the same fashion. you must be using them wrong

:)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I give coloured electrical/pvc tape to my
boys to make
poo poo with

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

super 33+ supremacy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

that chip actually does do some amazing signal processing voodoo in order to get that 10 gigabit transfer rate.

no you don't need it to put 1A @ 5v across two pins.

http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-RT1000201207USC-RT1000201207USCO/dp/B001JT1EOW/

has a bunch of names but basically it's not sticky, you just stretch it out to like 3 times its size and wrap it tightly and it fuses to itself and makes a silicone sleeve around whatever you put it on.. you can repair plumbing with it and it'll last for years. great stuff.

I've been wary of that stuff but based on this recommendation I will try it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that tape sounds cool as hell and would make a great dad-gift

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
this belongs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5EIfCLXH8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

rotor posted:

I've been wary of that stuff but based on this recommendation I will try it

the only thing is that it's not very physically tough. it's great when you need a quick waterproofing or generally to seal/cover something with rubber, but if it has to bend or twist or take a lot of vibration or something it's not really going to last. also easy to cut through. it doesn't stick to the substrate either -- all the stiction is just from how tightly you wrap it.

basically think of it like heavy duty heat shrink tubing that you can wrap around instead of sliding over.

i keep some in my motorcycle saddlebags and the trunk of the car cause in an emergency the stuff could probably seal any leaking fluid line or hose short of a fuel rail (too much pressure) and last long enough to get you to the garage.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ok so:

due to the very cold weather we've had the past week, my sliding glass door froze shut. today it's actually been above freezing, so i opened it, dried up the water in the seal, and sprayed a bead of wd40 to prevent this from happening again. thoughts? is there a better idea for this sort of thing?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

maniacdevnull posted:

ok so:

due to the very cold weather we've had the past week, my sliding glass door froze shut. today it's actually been above freezing, so i opened it, dried up the water in the seal, and sprayed a bead of wd40 to prevent this from happening again. thoughts? is there a better idea for this sort of thing?

wd40 will displace the water that's there, and provide some small measure of lubrication and protection against rust.

If you want to prevent it from freezing shut, you'll have to prevent the water from getting in there in the first place.

as far as proper lubrication goes, the typical advice is to grease it if it slides and oil it if it turns, but I'm not sure you want grease on your sliding door rails sooooo iunno

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some sort of dry lithium type lubricant might be good here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

silicone grease is waterproof, won't freeze, works at subzero temperatures and will last forever in your situation

it is also extremely sticky and is almost impossible to wash off of anything it gets on

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

silicone grease is waterproof, won't freeze, works at subzero temperatures and will last forever in your situation

it is also extremely sticky and is almost impossible to wash off of anything it gets on

as someone who owns a toddler this sounds like a problem, but might investigate further

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

then it's also worth mentioning that it's probably not especially toxic either, simply because it is so inert and unreactive

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
blood of vanquished enemies works too

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Captain Foo posted:

post cool lego sets you remember having

ITS ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maniacdevnull posted:

as someone who owns a toddler this sounds like a problem, but might investigate further

how old is your offspring

• Locked thread