Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Haha pretty much, I was like I don't need these but whatever :v:

The HHR actually has some rust on it because it spent a few years in NY, the left rear bleeder screw is rusted in so i have to take care of that one of these days. Most of it is surface rust underneath, but it is like a cancer and it looks like it's still spreading, so if grandma stops driving and we get the car I may have to take care of it but it most likely will just get sold.

Also I stopped the cracking noise going over bumps with the new and links, but I'm still getting popping noises turning back and forth aggressively.....I need to get a closer look next time but I'm thinking probably the strut mounts? STR do you have the same issue with yours?

Check the inner control arm bushings those go bad on the HHR and help that noise. But there Is also a TSB about that noise and it comes from the steering shaft. Have your son rock the wheel back and forth while you hold the shaft to see if you can feel It or the noise changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, thanks. Pretty sure the bushings are good but I'll have to double check....Also will check the steering shaft, hopefully that's it so i can just drop it off at the dealer and let them fix it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I could do endlinks almost that fast, but it takes a while to get the gas axe tuned in right to cut the old one off :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Had to tighten up the alt belt on the shitbox, guess it stretched out and started chirping on me a bit.

Also was astonished that I was able to get a turn signal lens from rockauto for ten bucks, it was like one of three left in stock :v:

Been driving the car to work each day since i got it and the wasp nest hasn't budged.

Saving it for the next secret santa lol.

All better. Although the the clear coat peeling makes it look like the car has seborrheic dermatitis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That wasp deserves a medal or something, that's a well built nest.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That wasp deserves a medal or something, that's a well built nest.

They're kinda all like that. It's super light, since it's made out of paper. I keep finding them underneath my truck. They never use the same nest twice, so they can accumulate.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Raluek posted:

They're kinda all like that. It's super light, since it's made out of paper. I keep finding them underneath my truck. They never use the same nest twice, so they can accumulate.

Yeah, my project car ends up with 5-10 every summer. Hell, the fuckers built one behind the wing mirror on my daily last year. I just spray 'em with brake cleaner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get them all around the house and anything that stays static for too long year round. I had to take out a shitload of bushes in front of my house because they were infested with them. I still thought it was a pretty clever wasp that chose that spot, I wonder if the car ever moved during the time the wasps were living in it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't you just love those days when a car shits on you and ruins your plans? Was taking the Camry for an alignment (finally) when I get in to drive it the power steering pump starts SCREAMING any time I turn the wheel. Since the reservoir looks full I'm assuming the pump just took a poo poo and in the location it's in I'm starting to really dread the job, when i decide for shits and giggles just to double check the reservoir. Well apparently going by the fill line from the outside was a mistake because it was just remnants of what used to be lovely loving fluid stuck to the inside. Motherfucker was bone dry so I filled it up with fresh fluid. And after starting the car the fluid circulates and instantly turns black, so I decide to try the turkey baster method, but the baster won't fit so i break out the mighty vac.

My son helped me by holding a container to dump the catch into.....poo poo is not good.

After draining it as much as I could I take a peek inside....loving Christ.

At this point I just take the loving thing off to try and clean it out......Spayed carb cleaner and some of the loose poo poo came out but most of it is fossilized.

In my dumbass haste trying to get it back together for the alignment re schedule I poked a nice hole in the screen trying to scrape poo poo out with a screwdriver. That's fine I'll just get a new one, right? NOPE, the only place that even offers them is advance, they have to order one and it's $200. Even the guy on the phone is shocked and says I might as well hit a JY. Not even calling the drat dealer. So I jump in the Protege to hit the JY, drive 30 minutes and it's closed.......An hour earlier on the weekends WHAT THE gently caress.

So now my plans for tomorrow are hosed because I have to hit the JY install it and flush the lines, and hopefully get it aligned before my wife goes to work on Monday. Yay for me! Also my plans for today were to drop off the car and spend time with my son but he gets to watch me work on the loving cars again :(

[edit] is it possible to get a CEL for the PS pump running out of fluid?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 24, 2016

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

[edit] is it possible to get a CEL for the PS pump running out of fluid?

On that car, I'd guess no. On modern fancy German things with electronics everywhere I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a fluid level sensor and/or a pressure sensor, but I've never seen anything like that on "simpler" cars, including Toyotas newer than that one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to the JY and picked up a new (to me) reservoir for 9 bucks, beats the poo poo out of 200 :v:

Also stopped and picked up a set of free tires for the free rims! 195/14 is gonna be a hell of a lot better than 175/13.

[e] The CEL on the camry is a P0401, the general consensus is that if the car is running fine (it is) it's the vacuum control valve.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 24, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got a chance to clean/paint the wheels and get the tires mounted.

Let me just say that tire shops are a racket. To mount, balance and put in valve stems it cost me 80 bucks for literally ten minutes worth of work, and this was at a little corner used tire shop with one tire machine and one balancer and I paid cash. The big name tire shops would have been a good deal more. I'm in the wrong business. Tires are always going to wear out and people are always going to need tires for their cars.

Decided to remove and paint this trim piece as well.

Gross!

More painting.

Decided to go ahead and do the brakes which ended up being a huge PITA.

Buttoned up.

After this I went to flush/bleed the lines and ran the MC dry TWICE because the reservoir is half of what it should be sharing with the clutch slave. After hours of bleeding I thought I got all the air out but the pedal is still a bit mushy. I didn't want to, but I guess i'll have to bench bleed the MC eventually :argh:

Anyway, the car looks a lot better!

Before:

After:

The bigger tire have amplified the front end issues, gonna need new rod ends for sure and probably new ball joints, otherwise it drives a lot more "sturdy".

I need to get in the manual seat belts because the auto belts are driving me insane.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good looking wheels, did you just use cheapo Rustoleum?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, just some semi gloss rustoleum I got from Home Depot :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

ionn posted:

On that car, I'd guess no. On modern fancy German things with electronics everywhere I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a fluid level sensor and/or a pressure sensor, but I've never seen anything like that on "simpler" cars, including Toyotas newer than that one.

I'm betting even the fanciest German things don't have a power steering fluid quality sensor, but some Toyotas do!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Suzuki had power steering fluid sensors.

Leica what bulb did you end up using for the Camry's dash bulbs??

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well after flushing/filling the PS fluid and resetting the CEL it hasn't come back on :iiam:

I ordered the bulbs from a online Toyota OEM parts supplier and they still don't look right. I'll find out here soon when i attempt to install them again.

If these don't work I'm giving up.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 4, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mounting and balancing is $15/corner at Discount Tire.

e: wait what the gently caress, this car has fixed calipers? :aaa:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, there's only one piston on the inboard side. Looks like it though huh? They are kinda wacky and the pads were a bitch to install. Also the slide pins were basically dry and a pain to get out. If i was keeping this car I'd get a junk ZX2 and swap out sub frames and have better brakes and suspension all around.

Also no Discount close to me. Would have been 15 a corner but they charged me 5 a piece for valve stems :psyduck: poo poo is still a racket, if my back wasn't shot I'd buy a little shop, pick up a used mounter and balancer and sell tires all day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yeah I got charged 5 a valve stem recently by some back alley shop that reused wheel weights. Not going back there, that's for sure... and I'll make sure to bring my own valvestems in the future when having tires mounted.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got up to 70 today! Time to do some work!

yay?

Finally time to get the manual belts in, got the seats out and decided to deal with some RUST!! :woop:

All the front mounts looked like this. I have no clue why, the rear mounts looked new. I'd guess they are exposed somehow underneath. I hit them with the wire wheel and shot it with some paint. Exciting, I know.

Here's the power belt unit. I need to retain the part with the tabs so I have something to fasten the A and B pillar panel too.

You can see where I started the cut right above the black steel bracket, once the cable is severed like a bad relationship the motor, remaining cable and latch slide right out.

gently caress automatic seatbelts so hard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had three cars with those and never had a problem with any of them. I must be the auto belt genie. I never figured out exactly what the emergency exit lever did on my Camry though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CharlesM posted:

I've had three cars with those and never had a problem with any of them. I must be the auto belt genie. I never figured out exactly what the emergency exit lever did on my Camry though.

It made a cool light and chime come on. Covering it in emergency tape and calling it an passenger ejection seat lever were what my 16 year old self did.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

Got up to 70 today! Time to do some work!

Mid 30's is about my limit for car work, but luckily I have an attached garage where it gets to the mid 40s inside at that temperature. That's a long sleeve shirt and pants!

Florida makes you weak. :) (now I await for the Canadians to trounce on my sissy ways)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
How are the FCS struts in the camry doing? I'm really tempted to get them myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Mid 30's is about my limit for car work, but luckily I have an attached garage where it gets to the mid 40s inside at that temperature. That's a long sleeve shirt and pants!

Florida makes you weak. :) (now I await for the Canadians to trounce on my sissy ways)

I hate wearing pants and only do so maybe two months out of the year. Below 60 = no working on cars, I can afford to be a sissy down here.

SouthsideSaint posted:

How are the FCS struts in the camry doing? I'm really tempted to get them myself.

Great, the car rides like new and the springs have settled so it doesn't look like a CUV anymore. Helps that all the bushings are still good too, thank god I don't have to start replacing those.

There's a power steering leak on it somewhere, so I got the best stop leak I could find and hopefully that works because I REALLY don't want to gently caress with that if I don't have to. The pump is in the worst possible area on this motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To install the new belts I had to drill a hole in the panel for the shoulder mount. I put some chalk on the end of a bolt, lined up the panel and pressed it on the bolt.

Crude but it works. Little bit of trimming and everything lined up.

Passenger side motor being removed.

While I worked on the passenger side I soaked the new driver's side belt in some detergent. After about an hour that water was disgusting.

Passenger track cut and put back in.

Passenger side belts in. once I soaked them both I let the sun dry them and I put in the shoulder mount and panels.

So nice having regular seat belts, still gotta get used to it, I keep opening the door waiting for the shoulder belt to move :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 15, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's a very tidy install there leica. Very nice work!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

So nice having regular seat belts, still gotta get used to it, I keep opening the door waiting for the shoulder belt to move :v:

It was hard enough getting over the "wait why belt no move?" bit when I went from a 91 Integra to a 95 Civic. :v:

Clean install! Is there any way to convert the seat belt light + beeper to work with the manual belts? Or do they just ceased to exist once you've cut the wires for the motors?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a controller unit under the driver's seat for the seatbelts. At least there was on the 92. I guess you can chuck it and save a pound haha.

edit: Wow according to my service manual it connects to the CPU. Maybe it's better to leave it there haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

That's a very tidy install there leica. Very nice work!

Thanks man! I keep thinking I'm putting way to much work into this beater, if I knew how long this was gonna take I probably would have said gently caress it :v:

But it's nice having normal people belts now.

some texas redneck posted:

Clean install! Is there any way to convert the seat belt light + beeper to work with the manual belts? Or do they just ceased to exist once you've cut the wires for the motors?

I don't know, probably involves way too much work. The light is on now so I gotta figure out hoe to take care of that, I might unplug the control box and see what happens or just remove the bulb out of the gauge cluster.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good idea on cleaning the seat belt with (cold water?) laundry detergent.

I've never been able to clean mine and it has a crappy stain on it that bugs me. Maybe this will work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

leica posted:

I don't know, probably involves way too much work. The light is on now so I gotta figure out hoe to take care of that, I might unplug the control box and see what happens or just remove the bulb out of the gauge cluster.

Does this car have an air bag? I'm wondering how the system will react if it doesn't think you have belts on.

There's only one way to find out. :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good idea on cleaning the seat belt with (cold water?) laundry detergent.

I've never been able to clean mine and it has a crappy stain on it that bugs me. Maybe this will work.

I used hot tap water. The water was soooo gross after an hour of soaking. Helps to retract the belts faster too if they're getting slow!

I also soaked them in straight hot water afterwards to make sure all the soap was out of them, just like the rinse cycle :v:

Larrymer posted:

Does this car have an air bag? I'm wondering how the system will react if it doesn't think you have belts on.

There's only one way to find out. :confused:

No air bags, which confuses me because they spent all this time and money on this lovely and elaborate auto belt system when they should have used the time and money on putting air bags in the loving car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It probably was easier to cobble together a mechanical solution than it was to venture into something where they had no expertise or supply chain established.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Usually automatic seat belts were a replacement for air bags in a lot of cars that didn't yet have the air bags ready.

In Canada they banned automatic seat belts basically immediately - it's why we never got (and can't import) the B13 SE-R.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thank you Canada then. Loving the belts so far, I feel normal and not like a weirdo that drives an old car with silly automatic seat belts.

Thanks again TommyChu for hooking me up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Usually automatic seat belts were a replacement for air bags in a lot of cars that didn't yet have the air bags ready.

In Canada they banned automatic seat belts basically immediately - it's why we never got (and can't import) the B13 SE-R.

This. US law required some form of passive restraint system at the time, but automatic seatbelts satisfied that requirement. And the seat belts were apparently cheaper than air bags at the time?

Some companies had a lifetime warranty on seat belts at the time - a lot of people have managed to get Honda to repair/replace the seat belt mechanisms on early 90s Accords and Integras, though the dealers will try to block you, and even Honda tries to resist until you argue that the seat belts aren't functional when they're stuck and start quoting the warranty to them.

One of my 1988 Accords actually had the seat belt release button relabeled as "emergency release"; the belts were built into the doors, and the car would start beeping if you unfastened them with the car on (coupe - the 88 sedan I had had normal seat belts). It was a pain in the rear end to actually try to get out with the belts still fastened.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

This. US law required some form of passive restraint system at the time, but automatic seatbelts satisfied that requirement. And the seat belts were apparently cheaper than air bags at the time?

Some companies had a lifetime warranty on seat belts at the time - a lot of people have managed to get Honda to repair/replace the seat belt mechanisms on early 90s Accords and Integras, though the dealers will try to block you, and even Honda tries to resist until you argue that the seat belts aren't functional when they're stuck and start quoting the warranty to them.

One of my 1988 Accords actually had the seat belt release button relabeled as "emergency release"; the belts were built into the doors, and the car would start beeping if you unfastened them with the car on (coupe - the 88 sedan I had had normal seat belts). It was a pain in the rear end to actually try to get out with the belts still fastened.

I'm pretty sure seatbelts have a lifetime warranty. That is if they aren't used up in an accident or something. I remember taking my beater 99 honda to the dealer because they wouldn't retract and they took it apart and checked everything for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

leica posted:

I used hot tap water. The water was soooo gross after an hour of soaking. Helps to retract the belts faster too if they're getting slow!

I also soaked them in straight hot water afterwards to make sure all the soap was out of them, just like the rinse cycle :v:

No air bags, which confuses me because they spent all this time and money on this lovely and elaborate auto belt system when they should have used the time and money on putting air bags in the loving car.

As explained better by others, the automatic belts check a box making it so they were exempt from having to put airbags in for that vehicle. Airbags are expensive, but more importantly, properly designing an airbag system is incredibly expensive, involving crashing a number of vehicles under a number of conditions, significant engineering effort spent on designing the dashboard, firewall, front unibody structure, steering column, and steering wheel to support the incredible loads (several thousand pounds of force goes down the steering column axially when the airbag fires!) so that the airbag inflates in a very short period of time (something well under 50 milliseconds, depending on chassis design, from the moment the bumper cover touches whatever you hit, to the time when the airbag must be fully deployed) and you land in an inflated airbag, instead of arriving as the airbag is inflating and basically getting punched in the face by it.

You don't want the airbags to deploy when they shouldn't, and you don't want them to not deploy when they should, and determining the difference is a... non-trivial problem. In fact I'd say it's one of the hardest problems I've ever looked at, which is one reason that most automotive companies contract it to Key Safety Systems, Bosch, Teves, Bendix, et al.

Airbags/SRS are an incredibly huge investment, both engineering and BOM cost wise. They're obviously better, but to beancounters trying to build x vehicles for a profit without hiring 50 more engineers to get proper airbag designs into every model released that year, there's a clear answer in hiring fewer people, adding airbags on the minimum percentage of the fleet sold, and supplementing that with the necessary number of auto-belt models. IIRC it was a phased thing like that, each year after the airbag requirement was introduced, a higher percentage of vehicles were required to have airbags.

e: it can easily add costs of 1-10 million dollars or more to the design of a new vehicle, as well as 4 figures to the BOM cost per unit.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread